• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Let's talk on Defense

otis campbell said:
As I recall, Kramer preferred to build from the bottom up, HS recruits over JCs or drop downs. I was, and still remain, pro-Kramer, but it didn't work out. Is it even possible to resurrect ISU football??? Serious question.

We have a good offense that can score points. Good QB, good receivers, good RB's, and big and experienced OL. We have a good special teams. Coach Phen likes his coaching staff. Our defense, well, they are not too good. Why is that?

From what I have heard the excuse is always that all the other teams have great offenses too. Or that we play against some unique offense in the season that throws us off our game... Smoke and mirrors.

IMHO it's the skemes and coaches. The coaches teach what to do, look for, game time changes, on field adjustments and, I don't know if anybody knows this but, defense runs plays too. Its the Coaches.

Let's hope this one new positional coach on defense can change the whole outcome.

If you don't have a defensive secondary that can cover and contain wide open / pass happy offenses in the Big Sky you are going to have major, serious defensive issues.

It's really as simple as that folks.

It's not coaches, adjustments or any of that stuff. That plays a very, very small part in things. It's having the talent on the field that can consistently beat an opponent.

Great players make great coaches.

PBP

Bengal_believer said:
You're right, and the players recruited themselves.

I said coaching / recruiting is a part of it but coaches can't be on the field covering players can they?

And here's an overriding issue / question...why won't top talent come to ISU?

Maybe it doesn't matter who the coaching staff is...maybe as others have pointed out in great detail there are other factors in play that make it very difficult to do so. issues that go well above and beyond who is blowing the whistle on the sidelines in practice.

PBP

PBP said:
Bengal_believer said:
You're right, and the players recruited themselves.

I said coaching / recruiting is a part of it but coaches can't be on the field covering players can they?

And here's an overriding issue / question...why won't top talent come to ISU?

Maybe it doesn't matter who the coaching staff is...maybe as others have pointed out in great detail there are other factors in play that make it very difficult to do so. issues that go well above and beyond who is blowing the whistle on the sidelines in practice.

PBP

If we our unable to obtain top talent through strong recruiting than we are doomed.

50 yr fan said:
Up your right, but wait the offense is good is this by accident or recruiting, teaching and schemes. GO BENGALS

I like our offense. Good recruiting on offense. We should be better this season because of experience.

I don't have a list of players, who recruited them, and how they performed. Did Phenicie bring in the right people on offense, or did Kramer? Freshmen redshirt(or should), then four years eligibility. Productive and at their best in their last two years. How long has Phenicie been HC? :twocents:

To understand what went on with recruiting the past couple of years you have to understand the past. Kramer was hired to fix our APR problem, a problem that was made worse by the terrible recruiting we had from the Zamberlin era. While Zamberlin had a couple of good players over his time for the most part he recruited Div. II talent. When he did get top talent they either transferred or became academic drop outs. What that left when Kramer came in was young undisciplined team. Kramer comes in, introduces discipline, begins to rebuild the offense through recruiting, then gives scholarship money to high academic walk-ons, most of them freshman to bring the APR up. It took 5 years before we could begin recruiting for defense with the money that had been given to former walk-ons. While the walk-ons improved each year with a couple becoming stars, Mitch Beckstead. It didn't change the fact we were not as athletic as other teams. With the past four years the defensive players recruited three and four years ago are now maturing. Instead of starting freshmen and sophomores we now will start juniors and seniors, this alone will make our defense better. We have almost twenty seniors on this years team and another twenty juniors, last time we had this we won the conference.

Good summary blackfootbengal. I lived in Pokey for 13 years, leaving early 2015. Very familiar with the mess called ISU football and it's lack of accomplishments. Phenicie has been HC for less than a year, his first recruiting class was announced a month ago. He did sign JCs/drop downs in the four months before fall camp. The 2017 team is the product of years of recruiting by Kramer, maturing, now experienced players. Phenicie took what he inherited from Kramer and used them HIS way. Some post that Phenicie is the second coming, and equate Kramer to previous failed coaches. Kramer built this team from below ground level up, inheriting a mess. Credit where credit is due. The success of the 2017, and probably the 2018 team, is due to Mike Kramer. After that.....

blackfootbengal said:
To understand what went on with recruiting the past couple of years you have to understand the past. Kramer was hired to fix our APR problem, a problem that was made worse by the terrible recruiting we had from the Zamberlin era. While Zamberlin had a couple of good players over his time for the most part he recruited Div. II talent. When he did get top talent they either transferred or became academic drop outs. What that left when Kramer came in was young undisciplined team. Kramer comes in, introduces discipline, begins to rebuild the offense through recruiting, then gives scholarship money to high academic walk-ons, most of them freshman to bring the APR up. It took 5 years before we could begin recruiting for defense with the money that had been given to former walk-ons. While the walk-ons improved each year with a couple becoming stars, Mitch Beckstead. It didn't change the fact we were not as athletic as other teams. With the past four years the defensive players recruited three and four years ago are now maturing. Instead of starting freshmen and sophomores we now will start juniors and seniors, this alone will make our defense better. We have almost twenty seniors on this years team and another twenty juniors, last time we had this we won the conference.

Great post blackfootbengal! That’s my thoughts exactly. Instead of predicting a lousy defense in 2018 I think there should be excitement that a large part of our defense will be juniors and seniors this season (we return 8 or 9 starters on defense if I’m not mistaken, with the return from injury of Ricks and miller) with some quality sophomores in the mix as well (Trujillo, Fox, Perkins). I’m predicting a solid defense this year. Plus if I’m not mistaken we have 9 starters returning on offense. This season should be on paper, plus with no negative chaos in the offseason so far, an above average team. Go Bengals.

on thursday march 8 at 1:22 pm you write -

…’Our defense, well, they are not too good’…

on sunday march 11 at 10:04 am you write –

…’ Sounds like we will have a great defense’…

which is it? seriously… wtf is wrong with you?

spartan said:
on thursday march 8 at 1:22 pm you write -

…’Our defense, well, they are not too good’…

on sunday march 11 at 10:04 am you write –

…’ Sounds like we will have a great defense’…

which is it? seriously… wtf is wrong with you?

I have my doubts for the 2018 defense as the last 3 years have been below average but others posters seem to believe our defense will be good in 2018 so I am giving them that benefit of my doubt. I hope our defense will be good. What do you think about the 2018 defense going into the season Genius as you have not said anything other than to mock me. Seriously. You need help San Francisco.

spartan......it has gotten to the point where i look to see "who" has made the most recent comment ....as to whether i will even open the topic thread to read further or not......i think some people commenting on this board carry on a whole conversation by themselves.....and debate both sides....without anyone else chiming in......it's an interesting world, isn't it spartan...... :coffee:

Yqtz3Q8.gif

sasquatch......i almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard as this latest post of yours popped up.....oh frick ..." now i don't care who you are....that's funny"........ :rofl: ........

Latest posts

Back