• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

line up

blackfootbengal

Offense:
QB- J. Arias
R. Sessions
RB- A. Prior
X. Finney
LT- N. Beckman
C. Prestesater
LG- C. Prestesater
C. Abbott
C- W. Wingrove
T. Namohala
RG- T. Carey
M. Lewis
RT- J. Bagley
C. Diehm
TE- J. Cook
T. Wright
WR- C. Richmond
C. Lemer
WR- B. Malcom
CJ Hatchett
Slot- L. Austin
K. Campbell

Defense:
DT- J. Bergren
A. Graves
NG- T. Kuder
S. Warner
DE- D. Forrester
R. Mackesey
OLB- T. Spence
K. Karstetter
ILB- PJ Gramaud
T. Ragan
ILB- N. Albano
K. MaCaffery
OLB- M. Beckstead
J. Pele
RCB- C. Gupton
J. Davidson
LCB- R. Blackmon
M. Berger
FS- T. Davis
C. Sorenson
SS- T. Manu
D. McSurdy

Line ups are just a guess, I didn't see enough of spring ball to formulate an opinion.

Pretty solid rumor that Brandon Golden a transfer DB from Washington State will be on board. Not sure if it was accurate but if it is, I would bet that he is the CB opposite of Gupton in the lineup.

https://twitter.com/brandongolden12/status/354478100630867968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without going into too much detail...it's obvious that some players that started a lot last year are now down in the depth charts, which should indicate improvement. It will be interesting to see the official two-deeps in a few weeks. Referencing another thread on the board...the reason some players are no longer around the program this year is because they would have had little playing time.

Interesting that you are projecting as starters only one of the JC linebackers. I suppose there may be some healthy competition there.

...loyal fan....i see two of the JC linebackers projected as starters on blackfootbengal's line up....albano and
gramaud....plus i think we will be greatly improved (realizing there's no where but up with the defense)...i think the key will be depth....our twos and threes are young still....heck our ones are not old...just experienced...but i think the schedule will give us some confidence early ...and the big sky portion is missing some of the top dogs this year...which i think will be a blessing....confidence early and a couple of wins from the big sky early part of the schedule might just be the steps we need to grab a couple more wins from the season....i'm thinking 4 to 6 wins this year is easily not out of reach....Go Bengals !...... :nod:

clawsout - I think 4 - 6 wins this season in the Big Sky is pushing it a little bit based on the last two seasons win-lost records and the 2013 pre-season predictions by the coaches and the media in the Big Sky. I hope your prediction comes true as that would be a huge improvement from the past two seasons.

My two deeps are at best a guess, I also will be interested in the official two deeps. Let's talk about our defense. Two years ago we graduated all of our starting linebackers. Last year we started three former walk-ons and Jake Pele at linebacker. One former walk-on was a JR the other a Sophomore. Jake Pele was a Jr and the only SR was Ethan Monroe a former walk-on. Late in the season I noted that the entire front seven on our defense was former walk-ons. This happened because of injuries and attrition with Zamberlin's recruits. People like to make a case of how many Montana kids play for Montana, they do have allot. Many of those kids are walk-ons who hope to get money later. The difference is, you will not see those players starting or even playing allot until they are at least Jr's. Because we put scholarship money into high academic walk-ons to help fix our APR problem we now have a large pool of our scholarship money tied up in these kids. While some of them will be good players, they are not going to step right in on a Div. I team and make an inpact. If they are better than what you recruited you have other issues. Just having another year of development for players like Mitch Beckstead, Dave Forester, Trevor Spence, and Sage Warner will make them better players. Sage, Mitch, and Dave all were starting at times as Sophomores last year. Additionally, we had Karstetter playing as a true freshman at times. Just having another year of time to mature and the additional depth that the JC kids bring will improve our defense.

Are you joking or what? There better be an improvement on defense as the Bengals had the worst defense in the Big Sky and almost the worst defense in the entire FCS. I do not think Kramer could handle another season watching 50 plus points per game being scored against his defense.

...up for the challenge...here's my prediction for this coming season....at least it's how i'm hoping it rolls out....i see us starting big sky play at 2 and 1 (shouldn't be a stretch)...then winning 2 of of our 1st 3 conference games (heck...we are U of N D's first away game and we owe N Colorado)...maybe all three if we get lucky...halfway pt in the season...then with the 6 games remaining...i'd like to think we could knock off Southern Utah and/or Portland State...and sneak past Weber to end the season on a high note.......don't put it in stone...BUT my fingers are crossed.... :twocents:

clawsout - As I mentioned, I hope your predictions come true but the odds are not in your favor based on the last two seasons and the media and the coaches in the Big Sky Conference predicting last place again. You never know, teams like Northern Colorado and Northern Arizona had a turnaround season so it is possible for the Bengals to do the same. Good Luck on your predictions and good luck to the Bengals this season.

I would be ecstatic with a 4 win season, which should pull us out of the Big Sky cellar.

On another note, I haven't heard much on the blog about Arias. I was quite impressed with his performance backing up Yost 2 years ago. There didn't seem to be much of a drop-off in performance when he came in on spot-duty. With more time to get familiar with the system, I am hoping that he will start off just as strong, or even stronger, than Yost did last year.

Of course, the wild card is the receivers he will be throwing to and the O-Line, who will have to both keep him upright and make the running game go to keep the defense honest. We lost some real quality at receiver and tight end, but also lost what appeared to be some pretty disruptive influences. The O-Line would seem to be more stable and productive, but who knows. That's what I love about football -- every piece of the puzzle has to fit in order to have any success on the field. Synergy.

Any thoughts?

Loyal Fan -

I would be ecstatic to see 2 wins this season in the Big Sky as that would be an improvement over the last two seasons. It will be difficult to win on the road this season based on our previous record ( 5 year losing streak on the road ). We have 4 games at Holt Arena this upcoming season, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Eastern Washington, and Portland State.

If we do not establish a running game this season I see another cellar year. It is time to let the O-Line run block and let are running backs shine this season as both Prier and Finney have been waiting 2 years to run the ball. If not, look for Arias to struggle as defenses will continue to play pass protection or blitz for possible sacks.

What 4 teams do you think we can win? I am thinking Northern Colorado and North Dakota for the 2 wins.

The opening game at UC Davis will give you a good indication on how well the Bengals will play this season. The good news is that we should be 2 - 1 going into that game and that will be a motivator for the Bengals to possibly win that game.

Just throwin' out some personal opinions here...

OFFENSE

Offensive line: I think we'll be as good or better at every spot on the line this year with the exception of Mark Clampett. How can you replace a guy that tough and stable? However...guys that saw first team time last year may well end up backing up before the season's over. The big problem I see here again, is depth. If we have some injuries...Justin may be getting rid of the ball even faster than he wants. Look for Terrance Carey's move to the O-line from defense to impact the offense...and the freshman from Oregon could see significant PT this year if he stays healthy and does his homework. The O-line will be better than last year...as last year's was better than the year before, but I think we're still about two years away from having a unit that dominates defenses.

Running Back: With Prier and Finney back we won't be any worse if they're both healthy. They definitely need a line in front of them. Braeden Mitchell is the only other RB on the roster right now...it'll be interesting to see how that position develops.

Wide Receiver: Cam Richmond and Luke Austin are obviously the anchors, but I'm looking for some really good things from Broc Malcolm. It'll be interesting to see how the young guys develop and see who steps up. I know the Mangum kid has also made an impression or two with Justin. Kai Campbell is a wildcard if he stays healthy. Showed us SO much last year as a true frosh.

Tight end: Josh Cook and The Tyler Show...Wright and Graves. I suspect they'll rotate a fair amount. It will not be an easy task to replace Josh Hill. It will be interesting to see Graves move from DL to TE. His size should make him a perfect fit with the other two.

QB: Justin Arias: Military mind...aggressive attitude and really itching to prove he can win. I don't think he'll be afraid to speak up when it's needed. I think as long as he stays healthy, Justin should have a great run at QB. He's already spent two years with Coach Bailey in his head, and I think his understanding of the offense and how it should be run is about as good as Kevin's ever was...and Kevin got it. I asked JA how he would be different than Kevin...and he told me he would get rid of the ball a lot quicker. I also don't think he's going to hesitate going deep whenever he thinks there's a chance.Weighs about 20 lbs. more than Kevin did...stronger arm. No doubt he's the guy to beat. Riley Sessions still has a lot of ground to cover and will have the Fr. Delacensarie and Jewell nipping at his heels from the get-go. There's a lot to be optimistic about with those two.

DEFENSE

D-Line: I'm convinced we'll see some noticeable improvement here as long as Tyler Kuder stays healthy at the nose. He'll play at 320+ lbs. and I hear he's like trying to stop a bull in a china shop. He'll blow up some centers this year and will draw more double-teams, allowing his teammates to be more successful. If Forrester and Kuder both stay healthy...that's some good consistent size in 2 of the front 3. The Austin Show--Baker and Graves...bring a lot of experience, if not a lot of size.
I'm still waiting to see the pass rush that we haven't had in years. Last year we could only pressure if we brought 8 guys...and then we seldom got a sack.

Linebacker: To me...this is the key position on defense. Injuries and inexperience killed us here and on the D-line last year. You shore those two positions up and we don't give up 70 in four different games. Trevor Spence and Mitch Beckstead need to stay healthy and anchor this group. The rest is a toss-up to see if the transfers really step up and grab the bull by the horns. I see much more depth here than last year...let's hope we've found the antidote to the injury bug here. If this unit comes together and can provide the support the D-Line needs to fill the gaps and shut down the run...no 70-point games this year.

Defensive Backs: I've loved Cam Gupton ever since he got here in Pocatello. If Cam can stay healthy this season, that big smile on his face will be well-earned. He hasn't had a lot to smile about the past 4 years. He's a capable, smart guy who can handle the CB position like a veteran. If Jon Davidson has to wait for Cam to come out to get some PT then we're getting better back there...cuz Jon has seen his fair share of time and more because of injuries. Who will win the other corner spot? Michael Berger has been waiting patiently and we'll see if he can finally be an impact guy. Free Safety? Tanner Davis had 21 tackles in 3 games last year before getting hurt. We definitely need him healthy, and if the D-Line and LB's perform at a higher level, our DBs won't have to be trying to stop 55-yard runs and can focus on defending against the pass and backing up the run defense. If Cody Sorensen is finally healthy I think he'll surprise a lot of people. A lot of upside there. Strong Safety: Taison Manu was second on the team in tackles despite missing a game after getting banged up. Again...staying healthy is critical here. Danny McSurdy's size really supports a move from RB to the defense, and I think he's got the right attitude for playing back there.

Special Teams:
Punter -- CJ Reyes in a walk. Roll-out...no more QB................although........he poses a great threat with the fake punt to throw the ball. Another year of experience at the roll kick should help. It's certainly not as breathtaking as a David Harrington rafter-dusting boomer...but runbacks against us were minimal last year. Placekicker: Roll the dice. Brendon Garcia has all the talent one needs...but can he be more consistent than last year? He'd better be, or somebody else will be back there. I don't kick.

Coaching: Coach Kramer fired the D-coordinator last year (himself), and now Spencer Toone and Coach Cooper share those shoes. If they can give their winning attitudes to the D...it's a plus. Coach Troxel is a winner wherever he coaches. The O-Line should be in good hands. The other new coaches are all brand new...so it'll be interesting to see how they do. To me...as much as anything...instilling a winning attitude and an expectation to win is as important for the coaching staff as anything else.

Overall...I see improvement at almost every position this year, because of experience if not because of new players. We have to stay healthy at every position all season long to reach our full potential, as depth is always a problem at this level. I see the real keys as being the O-line and D-Line and LBs. With our offense, Arias will make stars out of our receivers as long as he has time. Again...stay healthy. If we stay healthy...I see three or four wins. How great would that be? Five wins and our fans will be delirious!

Coach Kramer needs another two years for this team to compete for a Big Sky title. Remember...his program plan calls, in general, for kids to be in the program for well over 700 days before they should have to be called on for significant playing time. We're not there yet...but be patient...you're watching a construction job in progress. You don't want to cut any corners in the foundation or it could bring the whole thing down.

If I've left anyone out...it's because I'm an idiot and apologize in advance.

GO BENGALS!

votb

I like your breakdown of the players and positions. I agree that there should be some overall improvement however that remains to be seen.

My prediction is 2 wins this season with the passing attack.

I predict 3 to 4 wins this season with the combination of a passing game and a running game. 40% or more running the ball. As you can see, I believe our O-Line and our running backs can get it done if given the opportunity to run block and run the ball....

Here are a few questions that maybe somebody can answer...

* How many times per game will Arias line up over center to hand the ball off to Prier or Finney?

* Will the O-Line be able to run block this season or do they need to be 6' 5" tall and 300 lbs to run block ?

* Did we recruit running backs to run the ball or did we recruit running backs to pass block only?

* Will Arias throw the ball more times per game than Yost to set a new record?

* Will opposing teams try to blitz Arias if he is throwing the ball 90% of the time?

* How many times will Kramer say this season that our O-Linemen are too small and too inexperienced to run block?

Up:

In my opinion Mike is no fool, he'll run the football if given an opportunity. However I don't see a lot of difference between a "traditional" running play say off tackle for three yards and a swing or stretch pass to a back in the flat that results in a three yard gain. Mike seems to feel that the swing pass for example is just as good as a traditional running play.

The same questions were asked about the 49'ers when Bill Walsh brought in the West Coast offense but that's what he did, and explained that in his mind, the two were basically the same thing, just a different way of 'running' the football.

The biggest difference to me between the two is the 'clock' factor since more time figures to run off in a traditional run play. That could certainly be a big factor... if you have the lead late in a game, you want that clock to run.

PBP

PBP

I have one question for you. Do you really believe the Bengals can win more than 2 games this season with another passing attack season? If so, what are your reasons as the passing attack has not worked during the last two seasons. Why not let this O-Line run block and see if Prier and Finney are the real deal ? In my opinion, you recruit O-Linemen to pass and run block and you recruit running backs to run the ball.

Latest posts

Back