• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Men's basketball postmortem 2014-2015

Former ISUSID:

As always a well thought out, reasoned approach to the comments made by some.

Well done!!!!! :clap:

Some will consider your comments "excuses" (in fact I think that is probably going to happen), I consider it "reality."

Brad gets the same grief when he discusses and shows the figures from a money standpoint. I guess it comes with the territory...some folks simply have an agenda and nothing you can say or do can change things. Like someone else posted, a sign of the times I guess.

Also something to be noted when you wrote about the travel situation for the men's program...it is the exact same thing for the women. Same situation to a T.

The only other Big Sky program that I know of that has as difficult or a worse travel situation than ISU is So. Utah.

PBP

bhumble said:
Really? Would that be Reed Gym or Holt? Both are the joke of the Big Sky.

Hard to argue that ISU doesn't have facility issues but they are clearly not Tingey's fault.

I count one major facility improvement under his watch, the football practice field.

I noticed the University of Idaho has advanced plans for a basketball arena; however, it was initially planned in 1969.

Bio:

Depends on your definition of "major" I guess.

Miller Ranch Field was constructed for softball.
The football field was replaced with better turf.
A new scoreboard was installed at Holt Arena.
The men's basketball court was rebuilt and upgraded.
The women's basketball court was upgraded.
The women's basketball locker room was completely rebuilt. It was atrocious before hand.
Softball got a new locker room.
Football got a new locker room.
Volleyball got a new locker room.

Have I missed anything?????

Regarding the facilities overall, they no longer are at the bottom of the Big Sky. Those who claim they are, have never spent a lot of time at Sacramento State or Portland State apparently. One year the women's basketball locker room for visitors was 12 chairs next to the swimming pool with a chalkboard....at Portland State...no I'm not kidding.

Sacramento State can't even use their own gym for the men's tournament should they win out, it's so small and so poor.

PBP

Every basketball coach I have talked to has designated the need for practice facilities before a new arena. An arena would be great but the first priority with all from Herb Williams through obrien has been practice facilities and time.

Poc:

It's a big issue especially in the Fall as I've said before. You are trying to cram men's and women's basketball and volleyball into Reed Gym working around classes and students.

It's very difficult.

Maybe a temporary solution will be when the Chubbuck facility opens. They are going to have three full length basketball courts in it.

Eventually though both a practice facility and a basketball gym are going to have to be built but in this economy or unless ISU finds their own version of Phil Knight, I can't see it happening in the near future.

Had the original wishes been followed following the Papenburg land donation, a new basketball facility would have been in use by now. Unfortunately the wife of the school president at the time (neither of whom were big athletic supporters or even fans) convinced people to turn the donation instead to the performing arts center. Not saying that isn't useful or has value just that in my opinion the need for a new basketball arena was far greater.

Oh well...

PBP

I am sure that Coach E is a great guy. At the end of the day (He) has to figure it out. He is the head coach. He needs to figure out what works and what doesn't work.

As for the excuse thing, there will always be excuses for a lack luster program. I don't think it is always the facilities and where we are situated in the west here. Look at how Sac St. is doing this year?

Let me remind us again how the Football team did last year. We were making every excuse in the book the year before (including me). Look what happened.

All in Coaching and Recruiting......That is my story and I am sticking to it. Go Bengals!

Bengal Roar said:
I am sure that Coach E is a great guy. At the end of the day (He) has to figure it out. He is the head coach. He needs to figure out what works and what doesn't work.

As for the excuse thing, there will always be excuses for a lack luster program. I don't think it is always the facilities and where we are situated in the west here. Look at how Sac St. is doing this year?

Let me remind us again how the Football team did last year. We were making every excuse in the book the year before (including me). Look what happened.

All in Coaching and Recruiting......That is my story and I am sticking to it. Go Bengals!

I don't think anybody's making excuses -- as I said during the many debates over whether ISU should get rid of Mike Kramer, ultimately he will be expected to win and if he doesn't he will be asked to go. The same holds true for Bill.

At the same time, you have to look at the history of the program (just as you did with football), and ask yourself why has it been 12 years since we've had a winning record (and that was 16-15)? Why has our record over that time been 142-209? Why has it been 28 years since we've been in the NCAA tournament, and 21 years since we shared a conference regular season championship?

Facilities certainly play a role in that discussion, along with all the many other factors that make ISU and Pocatello such a difficult place to recruit to. Ask Mike Kramer how much a difference it made to his program to get a new indoor turf, new football lockerrooms, the updated Jared Allen weight center and, most importantly, that beautiful new outdoor practice facility?

By contrast, what has been done to improve basketball facilities lately? The lockerroom was updated a few years ago and the courts at Holt and Reed have been upgraded, but the problem with facility access and practice time, as Pocatato noted, has been around as long as I've been talking to ISU coaches -- 35 years.

So yes, Bill and his staff will have to find a way to recruit here or, eventually, they won't be around. But if ISU does not address the basketball facilities issue, whoever they hire to replace them will be facing the same problems that have contributed to two decades of mediocre basketball.

Doesn't the basketball team use the Jared Allen weight room? Isn't the court a few years old? The basketball locker room may be small, but it actually looks much nicer than the football locker room.

Here is a link with a picture of Sac St's arena. It holds 1,012 fans.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/the-nest-at-colberg-court-s825/images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

letuknow said:
Here is a link with a picture of Sac St's arena. It holds 1,012 fans.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/the-nest-at-colberg-court-s825/images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes Sac State has a lousy arena. Yes they also have a lousy record in basketball until the last couple of years. And yes they have access to one of the largest recruiting bases in the West. Again, I am not blaming all of ISU's recruiting problems on facilities. Sometimes you just have to make your own luck and sell a tough situation by the force of will, as Mike Kramer did. It took Mike a few years -- and some staffing changes -- to get it done. Hopefully Bill will have similar success over time. The extra money the administration got for recruiting should also help the cause.

Don't forget Idaho has to compete with women's basketball and volleyball and other groups in Memorial Gym until they can move into the Kibbie Dome after football season ends.

Don't forget NAU has to compete with women's basketball and volleyball and other groups in the Rolle Activity Center until they are able to move into the Skydome after football season ends.

Idaho has had some success in men's and women's basketball over the last few years. No NCAA tournament for the men, but they have made some of the other post-season tournaments. The women have made the NCAA's.

NAU's team has done well this year, and they are always competitive.

Don't forget North Dakota has hellacious travel scheduling for away games. Because of their location, they are spending the better part of the day getting to where they need to go. They are having a down year this season, but they did okay for themselves last year. Didn't they make it to the championship game of the tournament?

Kramer has always been known as a dynamic recruiter, no matter where he goes. That helps in attracting quality players. Who on the men's coaching staff is considered a dynamic recruiter?

McFarland, USA Official Trailer #1 (2015) - Kevin…: http://youtu.be/74eJaVQFybIcFarland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, USA Official Trailer #1

Also, worth mentioning that Sacramento State is doing what they are doing with a coach they hired from the Junior College ranks. What a great job he is doing in a tough situation.

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/katz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have more thoughts coming later, right now I am too lazy to type them.

Beating Weber today or Idaho next week would make me feel a bit better about this season.
This seems like a team that just hasn't figured out how to win yet. Usually close in late game situations and they make some freshman mistakes and lose with the other team shooting free throws.

That was a great game last night. I was worried when the Bengals took their for off the gas and played stall ball but they were able to pull it off.

I also enjoyed coach Evans interview after the game. He sounded about as frustrated as the rest of us and it sound like he was willing to look at a new ways to improve. Here is a couple things I remember
(1) will not play as much of the zone defense next season. Expect more man 2 man
(2) is looking specifically for shooters first in recruiting.
(3) Sadly, he didn't seem to have much confidence that a freshman who was redshirting this season would be able to contribute much next season. He did they say that all were very hard workers but had to think very hard on how to respond to "are any of them shooters?" he finally responded with so and so is getting better.
(4) it sounds like they have a few offers out but that they will put some pressure on a few of them to sign because coach Evans doesn't want to miss out on plan A and plan B with recruiting.

Sounds to me like a lot of jc players coming in. If they are anything like Sanchez, Hansen, or Solarin I'd be quite happy.

FormerISUSID said:
The other issue is the schedule. ISU has to stop being the nail for other programs. I think a few years ago the schedule saw about three home-and-homes and things, and that was good. ISU has to limit the number of guarantee games going out, and limit the two NAIA teams coming in. It's old and the fanbase doesn't care about beating Westminster and Montana Western. They really don't. I hated those games when I was there.

Anyways...my $0.02. It's been a frustrating season to say the least watching from afar (remember I have a degree from ISU ... I pay attention).

Former ISU SID

but, but, CONFERENCE IS ALL THAT MATTERS! you said so when you were here. tingey has said so. jerry, brad, and mark have all said so.

you must be wrong about scheduling sid. CONFERENCE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!

Really enjoyed seeing the Bengals beat UI last night and have the seniors go out with a win. What I can't understand is Evans' substitutions (not just last night.) We seem to get some momentum built and he subs out the guy with the hot hand or the guy that just made some good defensive play or took control of the boards. Talk about destroying any pace and flow! Witness Ajok Magot against UI and then Erik Nakken coming off the bench, hitting a crucial 3 vs EWU and getting subbed pronto. :thumbdown: These are just two in the past two games. The season has had countless others.
It seems like Evans' game management plan is to sub and re-sub no matter what the subs or starters are doing. Forget the adjustments and just continue on. Maybe that's part of the reason why we're cellar dwellers.
He may be a great guy and a knowledgable basketball man but from his media interviews and sideline demeanor I fail to see the Bengals being whipped into an enthusiastic frenzy by this coach, either.
From some of the earlier posts, it looks like ISU will be scraping through the "scratch and dent bin" to fill next year's roster as well. Hopefully, we find a gem or two hidden there. If not, it's going to be another long winter. :twocents:

Latest posts

Back