• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Mike Kramer ISU's Next Head Coach.

Kramer did great things for the Cats. Plus, he closed the gap a great deal between the Cats and the Griz. Kramer got things rolling in Bozeman. I know things didn't end real well there, but it seems like MSU fans usually speak very high of Kramer. I think there was more to that situation (termination) than it appears. Regardless, if he learns from his experiences--he isn't likely to duplicate them.

Here is what Skippy wrote on this board in a great analysis on October 27
3. Very difficult recruiting environment. I've told this story before, but it bears repeating. When I approached Mike Kramer about potentially coming to ISU back in the late 1990s when he was still at EWU, he said ISU was the one place in the Big Sky he would not consider because it doesn't have a natural recruiting base. Look at the two Montana schools -- a very large percentage of their recruits are in-state kids. Eastern Washington is 90 percent Washington kids. Weber gets a lot of Northern Utah kids. NAU has a lot of Arizona kids. But ISU has to share its best players with BSU, Idaho, Utah State, BYU, etc. And there are fewer of them in Idaho than more populous states like Washington, Arizona and Utah.

Fascinating to see what changed his mind and why he now thinks he can recruit to ISU.

spudbowl said:
Fascinating to see what changed his mind and why he now thinks he can recruit to ISU.

might be that he feels the growth in the area over the last two decades is sufficient to sustain a local recruiting pool. may also be that Boise State is going over the heads of a lot of good idaho talent given their prolonged success thus leaving a larger more available pool (treasure valley included) to pull from. either way a lot has changed in the last 20odd years or so.

What a great additon for ISU. Mike Kramer is flat out a winner. He won at EWU and he won at MSU, he is exactly what ISU needs. A head coach with BSC experience and a coach who has won in the Big Sky. 4 Big Sky titles during his time in the Big Sky that's pretty good in my book. Welcome to ISU Coach Kramer we are glad to have you and excited to see what your gonna do. GO BENGALS!!!!

Do you think the State Board of Ed will approve the hire? Idaho was about to pull the trigger on him when he was at MSU and even the Statesman and KTVB had it on their website and suddenly they pulled back, withdrew or didn't offer him and eventually gave the job to Rob Akey. Word was they would have State Board problems because of all the legal issues in Bozeman.

Nice Get for the Bengals.
Kramer is a winner...he has won at EWU and MSU....Conference Championships at both schools.
Can he do it in Poky? I hope so! :)

homeytennis said:
Do you think the State Board of Ed will approve the hire? Idaho was about to pull the trigger on him when he was at MSU and even the Statesman and KTVB had it on their website and suddenly they pulled back, withdrew or didn't offer him and eventually gave the job to Rob Akey. Word was they would have State Board problems because of all the legal issues in Bozeman.

Looks like that has been resolved: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5455361

If you guys got Kramer you got a good head coach. He did a great job recruiting against Montana which is no easy task.

The administration at MSU did a poor job in the process of releasing Mike. UM had similar issues around the same time but BH wasn't fired. I think the AD wanted him gone because he wasn't his hire and Mike is way better at PR than him.

I wouldn't be concerned about the issues at MSU. Most were related to former players that had no current connections with the program.

Kramer settled a lawsuit related to his dismissal at MSU out of court. MSU paid him $.

Good luck against EWU this weekend and i look forward to seeing Kramer on the sidelines for you.

pocatato said:
Unless there is administrative and financial support for the athletic department one more football coach will make no difference. Jay Heater is right.

That's what Mike Kramer does and does well. He will gain financial support by making each fan feel like they are part owners of the team. He reaches out to the boosters, the campus, the community leaving very few stones unturned. He did all that at MSU while dealing with an administration that was not overly supportive. He was on the road and speaking to boosters four days a week. I have no doubt he'll get your program going. The other thing he does is set goals and achieve them. So from the start he'll have a plan and go forward. There are a lot of things right about Mike Kramer. He does trust his coaching staff and those close to him; so if they let him down as was the case in Bozeman, than he can look pretty bad.
I'll be surprised if you (ISU) aren't contenders in three years and have a program that is growing quickly.

outtastate said:
I have a funny irony to the Kramer hire. Coach Z's 2002 Central Washington mopped up Montana State on their Homecoming in Bozeman. It was priceless to see the look on Kramer's face after he got embarrassed. The fans were chanting Z's name, it was great!!! By the way, didn't ISU and MSU share the Big Sky Championship that year? Will somebody send me a ring please, cause all of us ex-Central players deserve a share of that! Good luck Tingey and all you fare weather ISU fans!!!!

I have a funny for you. Central Washington comes to Pocatello two years ago and trashes Zamberlin and the Bengals. Dude, you should have saw the look on my face. Priceless I am sure.

outtastate said:
I have a funny irony to the Kramer hire. Coach Z's 2002 Central Washington mopped up Montana State on their Homecoming in Bozeman. It was priceless to see the look on Kramer's face after he got embarrassed. The fans were chanting Z's name, it was great!!! By the way, didn't ISU and MSU share the Big Sky Championship that year? Will somebody send me a ring please, cause all of us ex-Central players deserve a share of that! Good luck Tingey and all you fare weather ISU fans!!!!

here's some more funny irony: Zamberlin comes to Idaho State and sets records for worst win loss percentages over a 4 year span, loose games by a larger and larger margin each year, take two loses by schools who are div II/III, and wins only a single game in his final year by beating a DIV III school who is apparently one of the worst in their own conference at 1-10 (maybe john can go be the football team's life coach there?).

zamberlin won half his games here with coach lews players during his first season.

i should also mention that central washington had a better win/loss record before zamberlin was there and had a better win/loss record since he left.

love your post ottastate, this lets me imagine which coach called you up to come to their rescue on the bengal den.

btw did anyone else catch john drop the little bit about people posting on the den? in his interview with ch6 he mentioned the "blogs" and quickly caught himself by saying he was joking. if that guy spent less time reading our useless banter and more time policing his staff...well either way he's soon gunna be outtastate himself.

Latest posts

Back