• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

New B-ball Court Coming

notabengalalum said:
Speaking of courts and floors, Arizona is wiping their floor with the Bengals by about 50 points right now! Maybe the b-ball team was caught up in the emotion of the Zamberlin issue.

Just saw the score... WOW!

In related news, the ladies got punked in Boise.

I guess what I laugh at is the notion that people think that changing the athletic director will get this magical fix of things for ISU. Stability is such a key in any successful athletic venture...stability and formulating a plan that works and then sticking to it.

Let's look at Montana for a second. What do they have in football and basketball? Stability, even when they change coaches. In football, they basically stick to the Montana tree for coaches, people who know the winning culture and how things can operate successfully. In women's basketball they haven't changed coaches in forever, and look at the men's side...they have generally been a successful team. The one time they changed to a coach that had no knowledge of "the Montana way and mystique" was with Pat Kennedy. How did those two seasons work out for them? They went from the NCAA Tournament to horrid for two years. They bring in a Montana guy with Krystowiak and they get back to the tournament and are immediately competitive again.

Boise State has had much of the same administrative folks for years, guys like Gene Bleymaier, Max Corbet, and Curt Apsey.

In Tingey, you have a guy who cares, is obviously pretty good at raising money, and has had a pretty good track record of hiring coaches. How in the world can you think of firing him? Who the heck are you going to get? Seriously.

One of the things that many of the A.D.'s I've worked for have said in one form or another "don't bring me a problem without a viable solution", so if you want to get rid of Tingey, what's the viable solution?

Saying he is the reason the ISU football team is bad is ridiculous...the recipe for a coach to succeed, based on what I've seen in my 12 years there from the portion of Larry Lewis' tenure that was very successful...

*The head coach has to just be the coach (maybe special teams coordinator, but never a position coach) There is too much administrative stuff as a head coach with APR and recruiting and things to bog yourself down into a singular position. This might have been John's biggest issue...his best year was his first, when he wasn't a position coach (Rob Christoff was the linebackers coach).
*Your assistants have to be very ,very good and gung-ho. When Larry Lewis' teams were successful he had Bruce Barnum, Mark Rhea, James Ward, James Franklin (at the start anyways), and Joe Borich. All those guys were very good a talented assistant coaches...your assistants are just too important to not surround yourself with good ones.
*Scheduling ... Larry had the benefit of some very simple games early, and not that many play up games. Now, it's a given it has to be played, but staying out of the BSC is imperative, or getting just one really big payday instead of two smaller ones is the other way to go.
*Infrastructure/communication ... John has one major disadvantage in that he didn't have an administrative assistant, which is actually pretty important. Now, I think there were things he could have done differently to get around it, and I think the addition of another person in the academic area will help as well, but ISU must create the infrastructure to be successful, and that's going to take money.

The task at hand is large, but as a fan, which I know am, I would rather have Jeff in charge because he has proven he can get it done. Will recruits show up solely because a new basketball court is coming? No, but Joe O'Brien can use that to show support for the program, and that basketball is important to not just the university but the community. That can be sold to a recruit, and that can help get a recruit to campus.

Frank

FormerISUSID said:
I guess what I laugh at is the notion that people think that changing the athletic director will get this magical fix of things for ISU. Stability is such a key in any successful athletic venture...stability and formulating a plan that works and then sticking to it.

Let's look at Montana for a second. What do they have in football and basketball? Stability, even when they change coaches. In football, they basically stick to the Montana tree for coaches, people who know the winning culture and how things can operate successfully. In women's basketball they haven't changed coaches in forever, and look at the men's side...they have generally been a successful team. The one time they changed to a coach that had no knowledge of "the Montana way and mystique" was with Pat Kennedy. How did those two seasons work out for them? They went from the NCAA Tournament to horrid for two years. They bring in a Montana guy with Krystowiak and they get back to the tournament and are immediately competitive again.

Boise State has had much of the same administrative folks for years, guys like Gene Bleymaier, Max Corbet, and Curt Apsey.

In Tingey, you have a guy who cares, is obviously pretty good at raising money, and has had a pretty good track record of hiring coaches. How in the world can you think of firing him? Who the heck are you going to get? Seriously.

One of the things that many of the A.D.'s I've worked for have said in one form or another "don't bring me a problem without a viable solution", so if you want to get rid of Tingey, what's the viable solution?

Saying he is the reason the ISU football team is bad is ridiculous...the recipe for a coach to succeed, based on what I've seen in my 12 years there from the portion of Larry Lewis' tenure that was very successful...

*The head coach has to just be the coach (maybe special teams coordinator, but never a position coach) There is too much administrative stuff as a head coach with APR and recruiting and things to bog yourself down into a singular position. This might have been John's biggest issue...his best year was his first, when he wasn't a position coach (Rob Christoff was the linebackers coach).
*Your assistants have to be very ,very good and gung-ho. When Larry Lewis' teams were successful he had Bruce Barnum, Mark Rhea, James Ward, James Franklin (at the start anyways), and Joe Borich. All those guys were very good a talented assistant coaches...your assistants are just too important to not surround yourself with good ones.
*Scheduling ... Larry had the benefit of some very simple games early, and not that many play up games. Now, it's a given it has to be played, but staying out of the BSC is imperative, or getting just one really big payday instead of two smaller ones is the other way to go.
*Infrastructure/communication ... John has one major disadvantage in that he didn't have an administrative assistant, which is actually pretty important. Now, I think there were things he could have done differently to get around it, and I think the addition of another person in the academic area will help as well, but ISU must create the infrastructure to be successful, and that's going to take money.

The task at hand is large, but as a fan, which I know am, I would rather have Jeff in charge because he has proven he can get it done. Will recruits show up solely because a new basketball court is coming? No, but Joe O'Brien can use that to show support for the program, and that basketball is important to not just the university but the community. That can be sold to a recruit, and that can help get a recruit to campus.

Frank

Frank, well said.

ISU needs a guy that will buy in for the lang haul, I'm hoping they have that person in Tingey. I'm with Frank on this one, ISU has had more movement on the facilities front than any other time since the building of Holt Arena. Granted, that isn't much. Now, if Tingey unveils plans for a reasonably priced outdoor stadium with a lead donor..... Tingey would deserve a lifetime appointment. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back