• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Playoffs

Tube Socks

No seed for WSU, let's see where they land.

MSU should have been ahead of NDSU, with no FCS losses compared with NDSU.

I like the first round matchup with North Dakota but it's BS that we have a second round rematch with the underseeded Bobcats. We should have been in the bracket with the 6, 7 or 8 seed (assuming we stop all the critical mistakes and get past North Dakota).

National view obviously different than our local bias.

Would rather see the Wildcats get the Vandals in a first round matchup but guess ND is second best interest.

Obviously, Montana has a national presence of persuasion because they'll like have 25K fans compared to Weber's 7K. Don't feel the Grizzlies deserved a playoff at large bid after getting hammered by the Bobcats yesterday. But Grizzlies game will be on ESPN2 at 8pm so hope they show better for the BSC's sake.

Hope the Wildcats make some waves in the playoffs. Expect they'll be a short stay though, so prove this fan wrong. Seriously feel that Hornets & Bobcats have good chance to stay in at least to the semifinals. :coffee:

Tube Socks said:
I like the first round matchup with North Dakota but it's BS that we have a second round rematch with the underseeded Bobcats. We should have been in the bracket with the 6, 7 or 8 seed (assuming we stop all the critical mistakes and get past North Dakota).

Probably want to set up brackets for as much geographical friendly travel for not paring with 8th seed. I think the main reason is they don’t want to see the East Coast teams get their butts handed to them the very first game they play vs west teams.

Wildcats should play with a chip on their shoulder and make a run to prove the committee’s lack of logic and reasoning. UC Davis plays Sac State close while Montana gets embarrassed, but they get left out while Montana is in. The Wildcats win vs Utah State was way more impressive than Incarnate Word’s victory at Nevada. Utah State is bowl eligible and Nevada is terrible. Incarnate’s schedule other than that game is a joke. Could go on and on, but it won’t change things…so time to make some statement wins!

The perfect game.

All season, Coach Hill has talked about playing a “perfect game .” This means not beating ourselves with penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, missed assignments, errant snaps, etc. These issues clearly played major roles in the two losses and close calls against NAU, UCD, and the grizzlie$

The closest we came to a perfect game is against USU.

If (and this is a big if) the team gets out of their own way and plays a “perfect game “, I like our chances against any team in the field.

Waldo said:
The perfect game.

All season, Coach Hill has talked about playing a “perfect game .” This means not beating ourselves with penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, missed assignments, errant snaps, etc. These issues clearly played major roles in the two losses and close calls against NAU, UCD, and the grizzlie$

The closest we came to a perfect game is against USU.

If (and this is a big if) the team gets out of their own way and plays a “perfect game “, I like our chances against any team in the field.
I'm with you 100%. The margins between a good team and a great team are quite small. Can we be a great team? Sure, just stop shooting ourselves in the foot so often. We are talking about young men here, so perfection is not to be expected. Just limit the brain farts to a couple per game, that's all.

I like that we did not get a first round bye. We don't seem to handle them well. Too long to think about things, instead of just doing. We get a very good team coming to Ogden in North Dakota. If we do well against them, we get a rematch with MSU. I think we would all like to get that game over again.

From here on it is just win baby. :coffee:

Here is my conspiracy theory;
The Big Sky rep on the committee (Haslem UM) sold out the rest of the Big Sky to get his team in the field so he didn't have to fire Bobby. None of the metrices they are supposed to use have NDSU above the Bobcats, Weber earned a seed.

Beat UND and lets settle this. neither team had good games the first go around.

This sucks for me, WSU is is my second favorite BSC team, I would rather have you on the other side and see you in Frisco.

cats2506 said:
The Big Sky rep on the committee (Haslem UM) sold out the rest of the Big Sky to get his team in the field so he didn't have to fire Bobby. None of the metrices they are supposed to use have NDSU above the Bobcats, Weber earned a seed.

This sucks for me, WSU is is my second favorite BSC team, I would rather have you on the other side and see you in Frisco.

Not sure about the conspiracy theory but I'm not sure the selection committee can look past the dynasty that NDSU is. It shouldn't work that way but it does. It's not much of a surprise that UM is in. They shouldn't be hosting while UI is headed across country but where butts in seats and $$ make a difference that's unfortunately part of the system.

As much as I'd like to believe Weber should be a seeded team, I'm not so sure they've earned it. USU is a much improved team at this point in the season; they were really bad to start the year out and Weber played pretty mistake free that game. Their losses to both @MSU & vsSAC were as much about their own mistakes as being beat by the better team. They didn't but they could have easily lost @UCD, vsUM, and @NAU. The point being the common thread in all these games is Weber can't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot, in a variety of ways. I'd much rather they win ugly than loose but when winning ugly becomes their M.O. I think it's more difficult to accurately gauge how good of a team they actually are. If they should have been a seeded team then they should clean up the mistakes and take care of vsUND and @MSU (part duex).

I don't watch a ton of College Game Day but @Boseman was epic-- very entertaining and great exposure for the Bobs and the BSC. I'd love to see the BSC represent in the playoffs and prove they are one of the toughest, if not thee toughest conference in the FCS. After Weber, I'm rooting for MSU so I'm there with ya in being disappointed that we are on the same side of the bracket. LET'S GO WEBER!

cats2506 said:

Thought so, that says a lot. Past glories of both Montana & North Dakota State carry weight arguably...not fair nor right! That's the politics of it. Bobcats slammed Grizzlies Sat. in the "brawl" You would think that, with the record of UM, would have been enough to turn off the committee....but oh!...the BSC rep is a Grizzly, ...go figure! :thumbdown:

Kind of bummer that it has to be the Bobcats waiting the winner of WSU-ND. May the best team win & make it to the finals. :coffee:

What has happened this year cries out for a 32 team feild next year. It will take the exact number of weeks as this year and would be way more fair.

Take 32 teams.

Seed them all.

Top 16 get home games.

After that, home games determined by seeding, up until the final.

The bubble would be 6-5 teams instead of 7-4.

Also, no athletic directors involved in the selection committee. Nothing lower than Conf. Commissioners.

Home teams have a set fee for hosting or they can choose to forfeit or play at the home of the lower seed. :coffee:

Fair for everyone. :thumb: :thumb:

Note of interest: online interview with the selection committee's chair (per 406mtnsports.com)...UND actually had higher bid than Weber St. but committee used "team performance criteria" to award to Wildcats, the overall seeding criteria for NDSU & MSU was so close, somehow it went Bison's way, they didn't consider past history just this year's results, and somehow Montana won out as the strongest bubble team, UM usually places the highest playoffs bid to host. The NCAA gets 85% of ticket revenue from each game.

Guess we should be happy the Big Sky got 5 teams in. The political ("BS") talk is always there. :coffee:

Here's hoping for the Wildcats, Bobcats to prove the committee short sighted (& for the BSC teams to win in the first round, yes, even the Grizzlies) !!!

When I saw the initial matchup, I was surprised that we outbid UND. I’m not sure what to make of the story though. It’s not clear how much they outbid us by, and it’s not clear if decisions like this have been made in the past.

Couple of random questions/thoughts. I don't want to get ahead of the MSU game (must take care of things on Saturday), but, I am thinking if Gardner-Webb pulls an upset over William & Mary, would Weber host the game? Would the site be determined by a bid to host the game? Ranking? A coin flip?
Second, if William & Mary win, I am seeing airfare to Raleigh, NC for $170 or DC for $150 - tempted to make the trip. Again, must win on Saturday or this discussion is moot.

Waldo said:
Couple of random questions/thoughts. I don't want to get ahead of the MSU game (must take care of things on Saturday), but, I am thinking if Gardner-Webb pulls an upset over William & Mary, would Weber host the game? Would the site be determined by a bid to host the game? Ranking? A coin flip?
Second, if William & Mary win, I am seeing airfare to Raleigh, NC for $170 or DC for $150 - tempted to make the trip. Again, must win on Saturday or this discussion is moot.

If we were to get matched up with Gardner Webb, the home game would be awarded to the team with the higher bid. Fair to assume that would be us.

Looks like they are only 7 point underdogs so it’s not outside the realm of possibility,

Who cares about the bid? Weber was and is the better team. Had better, and more wins than UND. And its losses were to two top 5 teams teams by a combined 8 points. The Cats should have been hosting even if UND bid $1M against $1. Two major issues wrong with how the NCAA selects and runs this tournament. One, why are teams even bidding? Is the NCAA really money poor? The association made $1.16B in 2021 and is set to make almost $3B in 2022 (supposedly a non-profit). I have a feeling they can afford a few charters with the home team splitting lodging and transportation fees. Those fees would be far lower than any bid (from what I understand, UND gave the NCAA $150K for a home game and doesn't get that back). Its corrupt, but to keep the NCAA happy, it can still take 85% of ticket sales to help "support the tournament."

Next, I'm upset about this regionalization garbage. If the NCAA is fine with sending two FBS teams (Miami Ohio vs. UAB) to play in an absolutely inconsequential bowl game in the Bahamas, it should be able to send equal member institutions anywhere in the nation to play in a real playoff deciding an actual national champion. USE Actual seeds. Why the hell are two Big Sky schools playing each other in the second round? This is the third time this has happened to Weber in recent playoff history. Personally, I think it is set up this way more to protect weaker conferences than it is about saving money.

Change needs to happen. I think every Big Sky school, sans Montana, can agree that Haslam should not be part of the selection committee. Send ISU's AD. She really doesn't have a dog in the fight. Haslam was dishonest and used his position to get UM in, and then to get a home game when the GRIZZ did not earn or deserve it. How many schools got screwed over because of this SEMO, UCD, etc etc etc.

N.OgdenCat said:
Who cares about the bid? Weber was and is the better team. Had better, and more wins than UND. And its losses were to two top 5 teams teams by a combined 8 points. The Cats should have been hosting even if UND bid $1M against $1. Two major issues wrong with how the NCAA selects and runs this tournament. One, why are teams even bidding? Is the NCAA really money poor? The association made $1.16B in 2021 and is set to make almost $3B in 2022 (supposedly a non-profit). I have a feeling they can afford a few charters with the home team splitting lodging and transportation fees. Those fees would be far lower than any bid (from what I understand, UND gave the NCAA $150K for a home game and doesn't get that back). Its corrupt, but to keep the NCAA happy, it can still take 85% of ticket sales to help "support the tournament."

Next, I'm upset about this regionalization garbage. If the NCAA is fine with sending two FBS teams (Miami Ohio vs. UAB) to play in an absolutely inconsequential bowl game in the Bahamas, it should be able to send equal member institutions anywhere in the nation to play in a real playoff deciding an actual national champion. USE Actual seeds. Why the hell are two Big Sky schools playing each other in the second round? This is the third time this has happened to Weber in recent playoff history. Personally, I think it is set up this way more to protect weaker conferences than it is about saving money.

Change needs to happen. I think every Big Sky school, sans Montana, can agree that Haslam should not be part of the selection committee. Send ISU's AD. She really doesn't have a dog in the fight. Haslam was dishonest and used his position to get UM in, and then to get a home game when the GRIZZ did not earn or deserve it. How many schools got screwed over because of this SEMO, UCD, etc etc etc.

I don’t really disagree with anything you said but the reason people care is precedent. Fans have been led to believe the bid was the deciding factor. Now the committee somehow has even less credibility than they did before.

N.OgdenCat said:

Amen to everything you said! Committee sets up East coast conferences brackets to advance their crappy teams. If Weber State was the highest rated unseeded team (which everyone believes they deserved a seed), why did they draw a tough North Dakota team instead of a St. Francis? I’d be upset if UC Davis, they played Sac State tough and Montana got blown out, and Montana’s AD probably bargained away a seed for Weber State bracketed in with Montana State to get his team in. Definitely shouldn’t be an AD of a playoff eligible or bubble team. It really is corrupt, but still miles better than FBS’s Dog and Pony show because it can be settled in the field once you get in.

Chex said:
N.OgdenCat said:

Amen to everything you said! Committee sets up East coast conferences brackets to advance their crappy teams. If Weber State was the highest rated unseeded team (which everyone believes they deserved a seed), why did they draw a tough North Dakota team instead of a St. Francis? I’d be upset if UC Davis, they played Sac State tough and Montana got blown out, and Montana’s AD probably bargained away a seed for Weber State bracketed in with Montana State to get his team in. Definitely shouldn’t be an AD of a playoff eligible or bubble team. It really is corrupt, but still miles better than FBS’s Dog and Pony show because it can be settled in the field once you get in.

UM blown out by Sac St? What…. Griz lost in OT with a crappy backup QB. Davis lost by 6 in regulation. Just setting your facts straight. Griz lost by 7 in OT, and Davis lost by 6 in regulation. Who played them tougher?

Come on. We can give Montana a pass on this one. They needed all the "moral victories" they could get this year and they certainly were one of the top 24 teams in FCS this year. The problems that we are all seeing in this process, stem directly from all of the weaker conferences pulling political(media) strings to get their teams into this thing.

It is certainly time for accross the board reform in the selection process and it needs to be addressed before next season begins. I've already given my $.02 on it. :rofl:

Latest posts

Back