• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Preseason Bengal All-Americans

Pretty stupid to try to compare ISU with BSU. Pretty stupid to compare ISU with any potential BCS program. I don't need any factual evidence to know that people in Idaho would rather watch players from Idaho give it everything they've got on Saturdays than a bunch of guys from out-of-state who think they should be somewhere else. Factual evidence? What is there to lose? More games? I'm tired of watching "great athletes" lay an egg on Saturdays against Central Washington (mostly Washington kids), North Dakota (mostly North Dakota kids)-you know TEAMS that find ways to win rather than individuals with pisspoor attitudes and it's the all about me all the time show. You probably know the type Sasquatch, probably real well. Oh, and by the way, this thread is titled Preseason Bengal All-Americans. And these guys are from where? Find some more of these guys, and we will start winning again. Oh, and the 02-03 team had quite a few Idahoans in key positions (a core of players that refused to let the team, school, and community down).

'I don't need any factual evidence '

all of your issues and problems can pretty much be summed up with that one huge statement.....

It's embarrassing to see this thread degenerate from a KUDOS post about two IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY players into the swill that I've just read. For my part, I've known just as loyal and proud ISU players from OOS as from in-state. I've seen plenty of Idaho kids bail on the Bengals who also thought they should be at BYU or USU or BSU. The truth is...it's much more about what's inside a players heart than about where he's from. The best players ISU has ever seen include kids from Idaho and from OOS. This horse is dead.
Skippy pretty much nailed it...factually speaking. I agree with him, and between the two of us, we've seen and/or known almost every kid that's suited up for ISU since 1982. If I'd have known this post would have deteriorated into an IQ-less argument between people who theoretically all support the Bengals, I'd have never made it.

pocabengal said:
Pretty stupid to try to compare ISU with BSU. Pretty stupid to compare ISU with any potential BCS program. I don't need any factual evidence to know that people in Idaho would rather watch players from Idaho give it everything they've got on Saturdays than a bunch of guys from out-of-state who think they should be somewhere else. Factual evidence? What is there to lose? More games? I'm tired of watching "great athletes" lay an egg on Saturdays against Central Washington (mostly Washington kids), North Dakota (mostly North Dakota kids)-you know TEAMS that find ways to win rather than individuals with pisspoor attitudes and it's the all about me all the time show. You probably know the type Sasquatch, probably real well. Oh, and by the way, this thread is titled Preseason Bengal All-Americans. And these guys are from where? Find some more of these guys, and we will start winning again. Oh, and the 02-03 team had quite a few Idahoans in key positions (a core of players that refused to let the team, school, and community down).

You pick your full team of Idaho kids for your little fantasy league football team and let me know how that works out for you. If you want to play real football then you have to pull from every resource that you have. Why go searching for a needle in a haystack in Idaho when you could pick up a 24-pack in California/Texas/Florida? I don't disagree that Idaho kids have talent, but you have to be realistic. Being an IS/OOS has no bearing to the effort they put forth out on the field. I don't know why it would even matter to you where the kids are from anyways. Last time I checked, the words IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY were written on the front of their jerseys...is that not who they represent?

I appologize, I am just a very frustrated supporter right now. I know that everyone who suits up wants to win. I want to be proud of everyone who plays for our team. VOTB, you are right and I am tired and just want to see wins. Congratulations to these two young men, I hope they can lead us to some victories.

pocabengal said:
I appologize, I am just a very frustrated supporter right now. I know that everyone who suits up wants to win. I want to be proud of everyone who plays for our team. VOTB, you are right and I am tired and just want to see wins. Congratulations to these two young men, I hope they can lead us to some victories.

Frustration abound my friend.

My feeling on this--I want to see kids play for ISU that want to be here. I don't believe an all Idaho Flavor would help much at all. However, you are going to see more Idaho kids on scholarship for the near future. Because of the APR challenges, ISU has to recruit kids that are good in the classroom and kids that will stay in the program. I would expect more walk-ons from Idaho will be getting scholarships. Why? Because they are in good academic standing and they are not likely to bolt. This practice will allow ISU to recoup some APR points.

It really doesn't matter where a player comes from as long as they want to be at ISU. The problems that ISU has had over the past two seasons have so much to do with poor retention numbers--because ISU has been recruiting too much of the wrong fits. This leads to lack of depth and lack of talent. It also means that young kids are being forced to play before they have had a chance to adjust to the rigors of college academics as well as the step up in talent level from HS to college.

Fix the retention issues and things will improve. If they don't this program will die. This may equate to more Idaho in the short term. You can split scholarships with local talent much easier than talent from out of state--and scholarships is something that ISU is short on right now.

pocabengal said:
You have just as good of a debate then anyone else Poca. No one has the true answer. (look at our win/loss column) I think Poca is trying to take a different approach on this like myself on this issue. Keep firing away Poca cuz NO ONE else has the answer!

I want players that WANT to be here also. Not ones that rip on this community and laugh at it (see previous post's) Are they proud of who they are and who they play for? If not you will get the same results and will continue to be losers. Congrats to the Preseason Bengal All Americans. Be proud of who you are and where you play and represent ISU with honor-maybe it starts there?

College football teams have a mix of "local" kids as well as kids from other parts of the country. While most teams have a heavier weight on kids from other parts of the country, teams like Montana are the exception. Oregon & Oregon State seem to have a higher percentage of Oregon kids, too.

The point that I would make is that the Bengals need to get kids that are not "settling" for a position on the roster. These kids will have the passion for the game and for the team that gave them the opportunity to play at the collegiate level. Maybe it's a poor example, but my niece, Jenna Brown was ready to play for a DIII school in California when ISU happened upon her. She literally had days to decide and sign on with the Bengals. She jumped at the chance to play at the D1 level. My guess is that there are kids in Idaho that would love the chance to play football at any level. But, there are many more kids in Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona and Nevada with the same attitude. Want an example... look at Nevada. There are two FBS (formerly D1A) football teams in a state where there are zero FCS (formerly D1AA) schools. There have to be a number of kids that have the skills but have no where to go. What's wrong with taking kids that have the desire? I think the bigger problem is the coaching staff identifying these players, contacting the players and signing them. One major constraint... ISU resources.

A couple of other thoughts... ISU, with the high school football camp should give the Bengals a great opportunity to review the talent of those attending the camp. Also, over the past several years, College of Idaho in Caldwell has hinted as bringing back football, In 1977, the last year that they had a team, my kid brother (Jenna's dad) was a freshman cornerback on that team. He was a bit undersized but loved the game and was determined to play at the next level. He made all conference that year. After C of I disbanded its football program, Whitworth College in Spokane picked up his scholarship. He was all conference for three years there. Ironically, ISU didn't even sniff at him while he was at Idaho Falls High School. Could he have played at FCS level? Who knows. But if they begin their program again, there will be more competition for the local kids.

Finally, kudos to the Pre-Season All Americans, regardless of where they are from.

votb said:
It's embarrassing to see this thread degenerate from a KUDOS post about two IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY players into the swill that I've just read. For my part, I've known just as loyal and proud ISU players from OOS as from in-state. I've seen plenty of Idaho kids bail on the Bengals who also thought they should be at BYU or USU or BSU. The truth is...it's much more about what's inside a players heart than about where he's from. The best players ISU has ever seen include kids from Idaho and from OOS. This horse is dead.
Skippy pretty much nailed it...factually speaking. I agree with him, and between the two of us, we've seen and/or known almost every kid that's suited up for ISU since 1982. If I'd have known this post would have deteriorated into an IQ-less argument between people who theoretically all support the Bengals, I'd have never made it.

Thank Spartan for that. It is never happy

Latest posts

Back