• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

PSU Athletics History

Did some research. PSU also played two current I-A schools that were in I-AA years ago:

Troy (in 1987 at the Division II National Title game)
Louisiana-Monroe (in 1998)

You all forgot Nevada. PSU is 2-6 with the last meeting being in 1976, a 35-22 loss in Reno. Wins against the Wolf Pack were in 1960 in Portland (14-7) and in 1975 also in Portland (37-0).

P.S. I really really REALLY hate the FBS and FCS titles.

Wyokie said:
Did some research. PSU also played two current I-A schools that were in I-AA years ago:

You all forgot Nevada. PSU is 2-6 with the last meeting being in 1976, a 35-22 loss in Reno. Wins against the Wolf Pack were in 1960 in Portland (14-7) and in 1975 also in Portland (37-0).

I think that those schools were not included in the media guide list since they were not considered FBS (d1a) at the date/time of the games played.

martymoose said:
Wyokie said:

I think that those schools were not included in the media guide list since they were not considered FBS (d1a) at the date/time of the games played.

ULM should be since they have been I-A starting in 1994 and were I-A when PSU played them.

Vikings: Hall of Fame banquet tonight

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2008/11/vikings_hall_of_fame_banquet_t.html

The Portland State Athletics program will induct Jimmy Blanchard, Marlin Grahn, Theresa Huitinga, Barry Naone, Tim Von Dulm and the 1992 national championship volleyball team into the school's Hall of Fame during ceremonies tonight at the NW Natural Building in downtown Portland. The event is sold out.

The Class of 2008 also will be recognized at halftime of Saturday's Portland State-Northern Colorado football game at PGE Park.

The Portland State Athletics Hall of Fame, founded in 1997, has a biennial induction honoring the outstanding achievements of Viking athletes, teams, staff and administrators. Following the 2008 induction, the Hall will include 69 inductees and five teams. Included will be 14 football players, 10 volleyball players and 12 coaches.

This year's Hall of Fame inductees:

JIMMY BLANCHARD, FOOTBALL, 1997-2000: Blanchard was an integral part of the Portland State football program's growth at the Division I level. Recruited and redshirted in 1996, Blanchard came onto the scene as one of the best and most efficient quarterbacks in Portland State history. In 1998 Blanchard led the nation in passing efficiency (167.6 rating). In 1999, Blanchard set the NCAA all-division record for most consecutive passes without an interception (342) when he threw 29 touchdowns and just three picks. During Blanchard's final two seasons at the helm, he led the Vikings to matching 8-3 regular season records, and a first-ever NCAA 1-AA playoff berth in 2000. In those two seasons, Blanchard was a candidate for the Walter Payton Award, honoring the national offensive player of the year. The 6-2 quarterback from Grants Pass was a two-time All-Big Sky Conference selection, two-time national player of the week and four-time Academic All-Big Sky Conference honoree. Blanchard ranks second all-time in passing yards (8,455), passing touchdowns (63) and pass completions (618) in Portland State history behind only Neil Lomax.

MARLIN GRAHN, WRESTLING, 1969-2006: Grahn spent almost all of his adult life with Portland State athletics and the Viking wrestling program. Grahn, who was the head coach from 1985-2006, will be best remembered for his dominant teams at the NCAA II level and a pair of national championships won in 1989 and 1990. His teams won four regional championships (1988, 1989, 1990 and 1992), while his athletes earned 40 All-American honors, 17 national championships and two competed as Olympians. Grahn was an assistant under Don Conway and Len Kauffman from 1973-84 before taking over the program. But, it should not be overlooked that Grahn was an extremely talented wrestler in his own right, competing from 1969-73. Grahn competed on teams that compiled 43-22-3 dual meet records, placing in the NCAA Division I championships four times and winning NCAA West Regional titles in 1972 and 1973. Grahn was 53-13 with 26 pins during his career, and his unorthodox, aggressive style earned him the nickname, "Marlin the Magician."

THERESA HUITINGA, VOLLEYBALL, 1982-85: Huitinga becomes the newest member of the legendary back-to-back national champion Viking volleyball teams of 1984 and 1985. Huitinga, a multi-talented player as a setter/hitter and took advantage of her left-handed hitting style, was an All-American those two seasons as she played an integral part on those title teams. Huitinga still ranks among Portland State's top 10 all-time in hitting percentage (.305) and service aces (173). Huitinga was noted for her calm, intelligent, and highly positive demeanor on the floor. During the four seasons that Huitinga competed, the Vikings were 140-25, with two championships, a second place and a third place finish, and four Mountain West Conference titles.

*BARRY NAONE, FOOTBALL, 1985-88*
A part of one of the best eras of Portland State football, Barry Naone made his mark as likely the finest tight end to ever play for the Vikings. Naone was a three-time All-Western Football Conference selection and named an NCAA II All-American in 1988. Naone led the Vikings in receptions three straight seasons and wrapped up his career as the all-time catch leader with 199. That record has since fallen, but Naone still ranks second all-time in receptions and fifth all-time in receiving yards (2,237) in Portland State history. Naone had an additional 34 receptions in seven playoff games. He has more yards and catches than any Viking tight end, ever. In his final two seasons, Naone's Vikings were the national runners-up both years, compiling a 22-5-2 record.

TIM VON DULM, FOOTBALL, 1969-70: Von Dulm may have been the first Portland State quarterback to establish the Viking program as a "throwing team." Many great quarterbacks have gone through the Park Blocks since Von Dulm's time, but he was the first Viking ever to throw for more than 15 touchdowns in a season (he had 26 in 1969 and 25 in 1970), and the first Viking to ever pass from more than 3,000 yards in a season (3,041 in 1970). Despite playing just two seasons, Von Dulm became one of PSU's all-time greats, completing 500 passes for 5,967 yards and 51 scores. He ranks in the top five on all the major career statistical lists, and more importantly led the Viking program to its first back-to-back winning seasons (6-4 both years under Don Read).

1992 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP VOLLEYBALL TEAM: The 1992 NCAA II National Championship Vikings were the fourth title team in a decade of dominance for the volleyball program. Coached by Jeff Mozzochi, the team was led by local stars that grew the program over three seasons, going from fourth place nationally in 1990, to national runners-up in 1991, then titleists in 1992. The Vikings, led by All-Americans Leanne Peters, Joy Russell and Erika Boggio, won their last 28 matches on the way to 36-1 record, then won an epic five-game national championship match over Northern Michigan at the Stott Center. Mozzochi was named National Coach of the Year, while Suzy Hall joined Peters, Russell and Boggio on the All-Region team. Lori Weaver was selected as an Academic All-District player. Other competing members of the team include Shelly Earl, Chaney Ward, Robin Unger, Peggy Adams and Melanie McCombs.

Just found this website. I probably have some to add. This is awesome. Only me and a small handful of friends are the only people I know who follow PSU sports religiously. :p

Viking2012 said:
Just found this website. I probably have some to add. This is awesome. Only me and a small handful of friends are the only people I know who follow PSU sports religiously. :p

Welcome!

martymoose said:
Viking2012 said:

Welcome!

Also, welcome from Mr. Glass Half-Empty.

Viking2012 said:

Welcome and glad to see there are more PSU fans!

Latest posts

Back