• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

PSU Athletics History

ManOfVision said:
Here's a question - what are the 10 biggest crowds for PSU football in Civic/PGE history? Whatever the numbers, let's try to put some of this year's games on to that list!

Bumping my own post because I don't recall coming across this information. Any researchers want to help me out?

ManOfVision said:
ManOfVision said:
Here's a question - what are the 10 biggest crowds for PSU football in Civic/PGE history? Whatever the numbers, let's try to put some of this year's games on to that list!

Bumping my own post because I don't recall coming across this information. Any researchers want to help me out?

Anyone have a media guide?

from the 2004 media guide:

1) Oregon St. --- 26,102 ------ 1983

2) North Alabama --- 22,136 ------ 1993

3) Texas A&M Kingsville --- 21,079 ------ 1988

4) Mankato State --- 19,363 ------- 1987

5) Texas A&M Kingsville --- 17,798 ------ 1990

6) Northern Michigan --- 17,795 ------ 1987

7) Pittsburgh St. --- 17,036 ------- 1991

8) Montana --- 16,395 ------ 1976

9) Grambling St. --- 16,171 ------ 2001

10) Montana --- 16,052 ------- 1999

I would never have guessed we drew so well with Northern Alabama, Mankato State or Texas Kingsville. Were those playoffs? And, will we see OSU up here again in my lifetime?!

Thanks for digging that up, forestgreen.

I was at 4 of those games. Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh St. and Grambling games were heartbreaking losses.

How did we ever fit 26,000 into Civic for the OSU game?

pdxfan said:
I would never have guessed we drew so well with Northern Alabama, Mankato State or Texas Kingsville. Were those playoffs? And, will we see OSU up here again in my lifetime?!

I could be wrong, but I believe that at least the Northern Alabama and Texas A&M Kingsville games were playoff encounters.

Seeing OSU in Portland is a long shot, since now there is such a big gap in stadium size, and hence, revenue potential. Both teams would actually make more money from a Corvallis game now than either ever would from a Portland contest. OSU was awful back then, and their stadium only held 33,000 or something, so it might have actually been to their benefit to play in Portland when casual fans wouldn't otherwise both to drive to Corvallis.

pdxfan said:

Yes and no. ;-)

Texas A & I and PSU had quite the DII rivalry back in the day. Some great games.

We'll never see OSU up here again. I think that Wilhelm was at the helm (no pun intended) during that game an OSU had those terrible orange jerseys. I seem to recall seeing the highlights.

If, and this is a big fat if, if we can come into the UM game in the thick of the BSC title, we'll see probably a crowd that could push near the top 5.

I'd really, really love to see us come in tied (BSC) with UM into the November 8th game. The place will be a freaking madhouse.

That 1988 playoff game between Texas A&I (now A&M Kingsville) and Portland State started the rivalry, IIRC. It was a helluva game.

Anyone have the date of the Mankato State game in 1987? I know it was a playoff game. It's not in my log, and I KNOW I was there. Among other things, I was supposed to have a distant relative on the Mankato team.

The permanent capacity of Old Civic Stadium was about 27,000, so the OSU game wasn't officially a sellout. I THINK they had the left field bleachers set up for that game... I sat above that space in the old permanent bleachers along 18th. I think that game was pre-Wilhelm, actually. OSU played a handful of games in Portland from the mid 80s to early 90s, all conference games IIRC, no more than one a year (and not one every year), and I don't recall the one or two of those I went to selling out. Hey, any chance to laugh at the barkrats.

I pray that Paulson and the Timbers come through on the PGE Park renovation, because football games look sooo much better with the seating on the east side of the stadium.

ManOfVision said:
I pray that Paulson and the Timbers come through on the PGE Park renovation, because football games look sooo much better with the seating on the east side of the stadium.

Yeah, no doubt. I'm not holding my breath, but that would really add to the 'football feel' at the games.

I think it adds to the atmosphere by putting loud fans closer to the sidelines, I think it looks better on TV, and I think it would look better to recruits who would probably welcome the chance to play in a more traditional stadium. Not to mention, the ability to sell more high-priced sideline and 50 yard line tickets would probably increase revenue for PSU.

DJViking said:
He played in the Stott, but it was aligned 90 degrees differently than it is now. Instead of the court going East-West, it went North-South. The bleachers were your standard wood high-school style that went up pretty high. I would guess that capacity then was closer to 2,500. The Stott was remodeled around '99 or '00.

Correct. Freeman played in the Stott. Although they also played a few games in the Coliseum too. I think they always played UP there.

martymoose said:
ManOfVision said:

Yeah, no doubt. I'm not holding my breath, but that would really add to the 'football feel' at the games.

I hope our AD Torre Chisholm is actively supporting this effort. Having more 50 yard sideline seats would be huge for increasing revenue. I think this is crucial for the team. Chisholm better be hustling on this.

Here's some history for you....

thatwinningfeelingma8.jpg

martymoose said:
Oh man. Where'd you dig that up? We hosted three playoff games that year.

A great year with great memories! I recognize Pokey and #81 Barry Naone. Can you name anyone else?

Another history question - Which FBS teams has PSU played? I have seen references to PSU all-time record against FBS foes, but I never know for sure which programs make up that list of wins and losses. I know OSU, UO, Boise St., Fresno St, Hawaii, New Mexico, Cal, and now WSU, but I don't know who else PSU has played.

ManOfVision said:
Another history question - Which FBS teams has PSU played? I have seen references to PSU all-time record against FBS foes, but I never know for sure which programs make up that list of wins and losses. I know OSU, UO, Boise St., Fresno St, Hawaii, New Mexico, Cal, and now WSU, but I don't know who else PSU has played.

Thus far:

Fresno State
Boise State
Hawaii
Idaho
Utah
New Mexico
California
Oregon
Oregon State
San Diego State
UNLV