• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Recruit List.

The Post Register blog mentioned a couple of "local" names...

With national signing day on Wednesday, two eastern Idaho football players are making their official visits this weekend.

Skyline’s Michael Berger is visiting Idaho State, the same school his father and Skyline football coach Scott Berger played at, this weekend. Idaho State has yet to extend a formal offer, saying it needs immediate help at safety from a junior college transfer to fill that spot.

Berger is also in talks with Montana State for a preferred walk-on offer. Both schools see him as a free or strong safety.

Sugar-Salem quarterback Cameron Hastings is making his official visit to Snow College this weekend also. Hastings was one of Snow College’s first commits over the summer because it saw him as a quarterback and Idaho State saw him as a safety. But Idaho State has come back late in the recruiting season and offered Hastings a preferred walk-on spot as a quarterback, adding a late twist.

Post Register Sports Blog

Graylon Sanders (6-0/190) a safety out of Diablo Valley CC is rumored to be visiting this weekend. Good chance he will be the JC safety if he is coming in this late. Seeing that ISU is saying that they have immediate needs for a JC safety, I would assume that Gregory Melendez from Hofstra will be an OLB and not a safety.

Sanders played HS football at De La Salle.

could someone explain what the difference between a 'prefered' walkon and a 'regular' walkon? exactly how and what makes one 'preferred'?

Preferred walkon's will come in with the team for two a days. You are only allowed so many players for two a days, off the top of my head I don't remember the number. The preferred walkons will come in and participate in two a days with the team. Usually players you want to evaluate more closely. Once school starts any additional walkons come out.

Dave Frederickson a 6-3/280 offensive lineman from Poly Prep Country Day is enrolled at ISU. He must have been a greyshirt at Hofstra.

Demetrius Cowherd verbals to ISU. This may end the recruitment of above mentioned Graylon Sanders as Cowherd is listed as a Safety. Speculation of course by me...

Found a better definition for preferred walkon

Recently I received the question on a comment regarding the difference between being a walk on and a preferred walk on. With both terms being thrown around often in the recruiting process, it is important for you to know the difference. In my opinion, there is a big difference between the two that recruits must be aware of.

Let me start by talking about a preferred walk on. When a coach says that they want to offer you a preferred walk on spot, they are saying that they will eventually have a spot for you on the roster when school gets underway in the fall. You have been given the green light to at least be on the team during the first year and be a part of practice.

A walk on is in a much tougher situation. Colleges even at the Division I level in football have tryouts to see if you can make the team. If you are a walk on, you will be going to those tryouts to see if you are good enough to practice with the big boys throughout the entire year. You basically have a tryout to be able to be a preferred walk on.

So if you are a recruit, the situation you would rather be looking for is the preferred walk on. It means that unless you quit, you will be with the team. This does not mean you will be traveling (Freshman walk ons rarely travel with the team to begin with) or that you will be getting a scholarship down the road. It just means that you can come to practice everyday.

The reason someone may just be a walk on to begin with is if the coaches question that the recruit is good enough to play there. For example, say you grew up everyday following Nebraska. You had a solid high school career but would do anything to play for the Cornhuskers. You may try talking to the coaches and see if you can make the team as a walk on. I believe you should eventually get a try out to see if they think you have what it takes. I have heard many situations where hundreds of athletes try to make it in a walk on role and each and every one of them ended up getting cut.

If you are considering taking a preferred walk on spot at a school, one important thing that you must try and receive is a guaranteed roster spot. Schools are allowed to bring in 85 football players during early August to begin preseason practice. Because there is a scholarship limit at all levels, there is no way that every single one of those players will be on scholarship. So that means walk ons have the potential to take some of those spots.

For the most sought after walk ons, some schools are willing to offer roster spots for August. That does not mean you will have the spot over the course of your career, but that first year, you will be reporting with the team in early August.

If you are just a preferred walk on, you will be able to legally start practice once school gets underway. Some schools start in mid August while others wait until September. The later school starts, the harder it will be for you as an athlete to catch up. How easy would it be to come in having missed a month of practice and trying to compete?

bengalcub said:
Graylon Sanders (6-0/190) a safety out of Diablo Valley CC is rumored to be visiting this weekend. Good chance he will be the JC safety if he is coming in this late. Seeing that ISU is saying that they have immediate needs for a JC safety, I would assume that Gregory Melendez from Hofstra will be an OLB and not a safety.

The Contra Costa Times has listed players expected to sign an LOI tomorrow, and Sanders is listed with Idaho State.

Diablo Valley College Letters of Intent

The Idaho Statesman is reporting that ISU expects to receive a LOI today from Capital (Boise) Sr. Beaugh Meyer, a 6'1" 250 lbs. DT. I saw him play once in person this year, and he single handedly destroyed the opposing rushing attack. I really like this prospect, and hope he can add 30 lbs..

SLCBengal said:
The Post Register blog mentioned a couple of "local" names...

With national signing day on Wednesday, two eastern Idaho football players are making their official visits this weekend.

Skyline’s Michael Berger is visiting Idaho State, the same school his father and Skyline football coach Scott Berger played at, this weekend. Idaho State has yet to extend a formal offer, saying it needs immediate help at safety from a junior college transfer to fill that spot.

Berger is also in talks with Montana State for a preferred walk-on offer. Both schools see him as a free or strong safety.

Post Register Sports Blog

Got word today in a PM that Berger has accepted a preferred walk-on spot with Idaho State. It looks like the Bengals plan to use him as a safety. This kids is a stud, and I think an injury as a SR is the only thing that kept him from being signed in the initial class. This kid is fast and athletic and he will contribute to the Bengals at some point in the near future.

-Cub

Got word today in a PM that Berger has accepted a preferred walk-on spot with Idaho State. It looks like the Bengals plan to use him as a safety. This kids is a stud, and I think an injury as a SR is the only thing that kept him from being signed in the initial class. This kid is fast and athletic and he will contribute to the Bengals at some point in the near future.

-Cub

The Post Register reported this weekend that Berger did indeed pick Idaho State. Cub, should we start calling you "Scoop?" :D

PR Sports: Skyline's Berger Picks Idaho State

Actually, credit goes to the folks that fed me information via PM. So much goes on behind the scenes of the BengalDen. I get slapped around every now and again by bitter folks, but some real good things happen as well.

My cup overfloweth with information and the pipeline is only growing stronger.

I think everyone is excited to see him play. Also, I have been in touch with him and he plans on doing a recruiting profile very soon. Fans of the board will have the opportunity to get to know him in the near future.

Latest posts

Back