• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Roll Call - Game Day beat USU

Bengal Club,

I see your point- there are many things this team does right, including pace...but sometimes the approach is painfully cerebral instead of a confident offensive response- the players sell themselves short when it comes to their natural athletic potential and the offense they are running (if any at all) seems to be strangling/suffocating the talent. It's painful to watch. Occasionally, they show some brilliance- but you never know what you're going to get coming down the floor, and I'm sure the players are feeling it too.

I don't mean to sound so critical- especially when the pressure is not on me come game day- but every year, as we recruit some great players- you want to see them succeed. I know these guys work hard pre-season and throughout the year. Another thing this staff does well with, is recruiting. I can't imagine how hard it is to convince these guys to come to pocatello :shock:

I don't mean it as an excuse, but look at the schedule that Idaho State is playing. I simply believe that the early schedule like ISU has--exposes a teams weaknesses. I also think that O'Brien is still trying to figure out what he has and who plays together during certain situations. The rotation was agonizing a month ago, but it has been trimmed and I anticipate it will be trimmed again when conference season starts.

O'Brien has also stated that he realizes that the schedule that he put together has been too difficult. He has said that he is learning and that is one thing that he is going to try and improve. With that said, ISU needs to play some big teams for the payday--no getting around that and no getting around return trips to Utah State, Utah and BYU next season.

I really believe the game will start to slow down for the Bengals once the conference season starts. Idaho State is already scoring 5-6 more points a game then they did DURING CONFERENCE last season and that is with what I believe is a more difficult non-conference schedule than last year.

O'Brien says that he and the team can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I think we should do that as well.

loveformybengals said:
the players sell themselves short when it comes to their natural athletic potential and the offense they are running (if any at all) seems to be strangling/suffocating the talent. It's painful to watch. Occasionally, they show some brilliance- but you never know what you're going to get coming down the floor, and I'm sure the players are feeling it too. :shock:
I can agree with the above verbage. It almost feels like they can't make a move or decision for themselves. I hope the coaches slowly but surely fix this problem. I was amazed with 2 min left we were playing like we had 10min left to play. It brings up the question of why not more dunks? Let them loose. Let them showcase some raw talent out there.

Bengal club,

yeah...the schedule is hard. For what it's worth, I believe this is a good decision on the part of coach OB- it really challenges the guys out of the gate and sets them up for a good conference season. However, Saturday night's loss was against Utah state, not UCLA.

I have a lot of hope for the post players this year- that is the area where we have the greatest potential.

your right that is a good read!

once again though and this is my biggest beef, we are saying the players are the problem, I know, I know, no one wants me to go there, but truth is, this is the "massage" of numbers I referred to the other night, you can use the stats to make your case almost everytime

I would suggest and have in great detail over the past few weeks, that we need a consistent group that can bond together as a unit, that if we had an offense where players were cutting and screening for each other all of the time we would get much better looks for every single player and as a result our % would go up, in addition we would get lucky occasionally, just my opinion and I know how much everyone loves that!

just an observation when reviewing the numbers, bay is shooting better than 37% from 3 in 5 of the last 9 games, and 40 + % in 4 of those games

if a 3pt scorer, is making 35% or better from 3, and he takes 10 shots he is 2 or 3 points better than a guy who shoots 40% or so from the field and requires 13-14 shots to accomplish the same thing

we could see a dramatic increase in shooting % if we just moved without the ball, right now and I know I am beating a dead horse for some, but we simply pass the ball around on the perimeter hoping a defender falls down so we can shoot or stucki and row drive to the basket whether the opportunity exists or not, most of the time that pays off because they are very good players, however like the other night we were stifled with no one having a killer offensive night

worst part of this for me other than seeing no improvement on this front hardly at all, is because we have no real offense scheme to speak of, we cant "count" on anything on the offense other than "hoping" someone gets hot, thats not a way to play, lastly, my fear is we will lose the close games, we have no quick score for inbounds play, OBrien has said as much, thats frustrating

enough of this I guess, I realize we are not UNC I just see SO much potential with these players and while I am just a fan and have no pressure of making the calls during the game, it just seems game in and game out we do nothing to improve our offense, instead we continue to rationalize our plight

I too am cool with the schedule, I think these guys are better than advertised

FEAR THE BENGAL!

Joe O'Brien often is heard praising the "offensive execution" of the teams we play, especially the way they look for their 3-point shooters on the wings -setting hard screens for them or having the bigs pass out.

Coach O'Brien: Why can't you simply give your team an offensive system that does the same thing? Why do the Bengals have so much trouble in this fundamental area?

For the record, I don't think most people are saying that shooting is the only problem. I know I have stated earlier that I have been frustrated with the activity of the offense. I think the true answer is a combination of the both. Once again, I think it all comes down to how the debate is presented. Take it for what it is worth--you are way more fun to play with after you have had some time to wind down.

If this team can score 70-75 PPG in conference, I think they will be successful. Although, I have been critical of the offensive scheme and shooting percentages at times--I think they will fair much better in conference. If they can score like that at the BSC-level, I think we will all agree that the offensive scheme is at least serviceable-if that is a word.

Spearmint Rhino said:
Joe O'Brien often is heard praising the "offensive execution" of the teams we play, especially the way they look for their 3-point shooters on the wings -setting hard screens for them or having the bigs pass out.

Coach O'Brien: Why can't you simply give your team an offensive system that does the same thing? Why do the Bengals have so much trouble in this fundamental area?

That would be a great/fair question to ask on the coaches show. I don't think they have it tonight, but perhaps next Monday.

Latest posts

Back