• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Search Committee

I am not sure who is on the committee, but I have heard some HC names being thrown around. They are only on this list if I have heard it from more than once person.

Al Grushkin
Jeff Hironaka
Louis Wilson
Bill Evans
Bill Hawkins
Dean Martin

bengalcub said:
I am not sure who is on the committee, but I have heard some HC names being thrown around. They are only on this list if I have heard it from more than once person.

Al Grushkin
Jeff Hironaka
Louis Wilson
Bill Evans
Bill Hawkins
Dean Martin

Thanks for the info... have to think Martin is winning some decision-makers over with a few wins and making ISU tough at the moment.

Throw in another name to the list of candidates...

From Record Publishing:

STEINBURG ON IDAHO STATE RADAR

A Kent State source confirmed that KSU assistant men’s basketball coach Bobby Steinburg has been contacted by Idaho State regarding its head coaching vacancy.

Joe O’Brien resigned as the coach of the Bengals in December after a 2-8 start. They are now 7-14 and in fourth place in Big Sky Conference.

Steinburg is known as a talented recruiter, landing players like current MAC East Player of the Week Chris Evans during his four seasons in Kent. He also has head coaching experience, leading Motlow Community College in Tennessee to a 28-5 mark and a No. 15 ranking in 2007-08, the second of his two seasons at the school.

In December, Steinburg was ranked No. 6 on a Basketball Times list of the “Best Future NCAA Division I Head Coaches” among former junior college head coaches. It might be long before he gets that first chance to run a Division I program.

Steinburg was on the recruiting trail for KSU and could not be reached for comment on Monday.

Personally, I'm glad it appears that no stone is being left unturned.

Thanks for passing the link along... more homework and searching is always a good thing, so it is good to hear that they are going to all lengths to search out a coach.

List of coaching candidates according to hoopdirt: Deane Martin, Bobby Steinburg, Bill Hawkins, Jeff Hironaka, Louis Wilson and Bill Evans. Except for Hironaka, no surprises; in fact, there are legitimate sources linking these names to Idaho State.

http://hoopdirt.com/blog/3dc19d1c/idaho-state-search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search Committee.....wonder do they actually know what this program needs. Did they talk to the players? And/Or even have basketball knowledge of the game. It takes more than just gathering names for the job. I know a few ppl on the committee, funny to me after hearding of what they think this program needs. Not being negative, but just being real about the situation. I played as a bengal and I know the mind-set of the players. Its more to it then coming to the games.

A few thoughts I have on this for what its worth...

1st-The people I have talked to have told me that search committee was interviewing three candidates in full all in a single day. I'm not sure where to begin with that. The first thing that comes to mind is that the committee has already made a decision before the interviews have started, because you cannot seriously contend that a full interview process (campus tour, meetings with various university personnel, the interview itself, meeting with the team, etc) can take place in single day for THREE candidates.

2nd-The interview committee itself. I'll start with saying that I have been waiting to see if someone on here knew the names of the committee members for certain because the names I heard made me cry inside. However, without seeing any posts with that information I am simple going to have to go off of what I heard, and give my feelings on them being on the committee.

Tingey-obviously the AD will be involved in any coaching search, however you would think if he was not familiar with sport, as he is not, that he would surround himself with other committee members that are capable of analyzing the candidates from a basketball perspective (I.e.- coaching philosophy, recruiting strategy, etc). However, that was not the case and in my opinion he has done an extremely poor job of putting this committe together, and seems it was due to either a)lazyiness or b)has already chosen who will be the coach next year.

Matt Jolley- it baffles me that this guy has as much influence on ISU basketball as he does. The only tie he has to basketball is a year or two as a GA at ISU, and as a fan. Yet due to his monetary contributions and religion he seems to be Tingey's right hand man for basketball and is always chiming in with his two cents on what he believes is right for the program. It is not only his lack of actualy basketball knowledge that concerns me, but also his need to have a personal relationship with the players...as a booster! Any person on this forum is just as capable and qualified as Jolley of determining who should be the next coach at ISU.

Jay McMillan- The ONLY person on this committee that has any coaching experience, a good choice for the committee, hopefully he has a voice in the decision and it is unbiased from the start.

Mike Lacey- a very nice young man but come on, you've got to be kidding me. It is absolutely a good idea to have a former player on the committee, but just going with the most convenient choice (working as a GA in the department). It is especially surprising when there are names such as Schroeder, Stucki and Kinghorn in the area; who were not only standout players for ISU, but local players who have a strong interest in seeing ISU succeed. He will have no influence or say in this decision and is just there for show.

Steve Schaack-just another inner-department person to stick on the committee. He has no idea of what to look for in a college coach during an interview process. He is likely just there so it looks like there are more people making this decision.

With all that said and knowing that it has no real effect on anything, I truly do hope that this committee is/was ready to select the best candidate for the job and that they can have success in the future because the true and loyal fans/supporters of the university deserve it.

bluebengal said:

1st-The people I have talked to have told me that search committee was interviewing three candidates in full all in a single day. I'm not sure where to begin with that. The first thing that comes to mind is that the committee has already made a decision before the interviews have started, because you cannot seriously contend that a full interview process (campus tour, meetings with various university personnel, the interview itself, meeting with the team, etc) can take place in single day for THREE candidates.

2nd-The interview committee itself. I'll start with saying that I have been waiting to see if someone on here knew the names of the committee members for certain because the names I heard made me cry inside. However, without seeing any posts with that information I am simple going to have to go off of what I heard, and give my feelings on them being on the committee.

Tingey-obviously the AD will be involved in any coaching search, however you would think if he was not familiar with sport, as he is not, that he would surround himself with other committee members that are capable of analyzing the candidates from a basketball perspective (I.e.- coaching philosophy, recruiting strategy, etc). However, that was not the case and in my opinion he has done an extremely poor job of putting this committe together, and seems it was due to either a)lazyiness or b)has already chosen who will be the coach next year.

Matt Jolley- it baffles me that this guy has as much influence on ISU basketball as he does. The only tie he has to basketball is a year or two as a GA at ISU, and as a fan. Yet due to his monetary contributions and religion he seems to be Tingey's right hand man for basketball and is always chiming in with his two cents on what he believes is right for the program. It is not only his lack of actualy basketball knowledge that concerns me, but also his need to have a personal relationship with the players...as a booster! Any person on this forum is just as capable and qualified as Jolley of determining who should be the next coach at ISU.

Jay McMillan- The ONLY person on this committee that has any coaching experience, a good choice for the committee, hopefully he has a voice in the decision and it is unbiased from the start.

Mike Lacey- a very nice young man but come on, you've got to be kidding me. It is absolutely a good idea to have a former player on the committee, but just going with the most convenient choice (working as a GA in the department). It is especially surprising when there are names such as Schroeder, Stucki and Kinghorn in the area; who were not only standout players for ISU, but local players who have a strong interest in seeing ISU succeed. He will have no influence or say in this decision and is just there for show.

Steve Schaack-just another inner-department person to stick on the committee. He has no idea of what to look for in a college coach during an interview process. He is likely just there so it looks like there are more people making this decision.

With all that said and knowing that it has no real effect on anything, I truly do hope that this committee is/was ready to select the best candidate for the job and that they can have success in the future because the true and loyal fans/supporters of the university deserve it.

This is well said...!

bluebengal said:

+1

I had been told to expect a step backward in the coaching search, due to the committee. There are 3 names which should not be on here. Period. This is a not a committee which is in place to search for a new candidate; it's in place merely as a facade. It didn't take a brain surgeon to see how how the information on Hawkins began to leak out.

And this should be be worth repeating: If you are a booster, you should not have personal relationships with the players! This includes playing pick-up games with them.

JJB said:
And this should be be worth repeating: If you are a booster, you should not have personal relationships with the players! This includes playing pick-up games with them.

Why can't a booster be friends and/or play pick-up games with players?

This is a not a committee which is in place to search for a new candidate; it's in place merely as a facade. It didn't take a brain surgeon to see how how the information on Hawkins began to leak out.

Huh? I can say with certainty that the suggestion that a decision was made long ago to hire Hawkins, and that the search committee is a charade, is utterly false. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that either.

Irwin M. Fletcher said:
This is a not a committee which is in place to search for a new candidate; it's in place merely as a facade. It didn't take a brain surgeon to see how how the information on Hawkins began to leak out.

Huh? I can say with certainty that the suggestion that a decision was made long ago to hire Hawkins, and that the search committee is a charade, is utterly false. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that either.

+1

I'll bet more folks are involved than we know.

I don't think they are talking about Hawkins. I think several people think at least two committee members are shilling for Lewis Wilson. This is not to be misconstrued as my opinion. I'm just a reporter here.

pocatato said:
I don't think they are talking about Hawkins. I think several people think at least two committee members are shilling for Lewis Wilson. This is not to be misconstrued as my opinion. I'm just a reporter here.

I approve of the shillin'.

I mean.. is there something wrong with that? Even the most ardent Martin and Hawkins supporters would say Wilson has done some nice things at Adams and has a good chance of landing a D1 gig (somewhere) before he's through.

This makes me laugh.. Here we go with another 1-hit wonder, bluebengal.. Is he: a) a hater b) jealous c) all-wise or d) all of the above? Hey guys, guess what? Every school formulates a group somewhat similar to this. Since when are you clowns qualified to judge who is, and who is not capable of helping choose or give input on what/who is good for the program? Uh, haters, this just in, donors, boosters and major gift-givers are always included in processes like this, and it happens at EVERY school in America..! Stop being such haters and so jealous.. So who is qualified? Pocatato, I vividly remember you on numerous occasions pandering for Al Grushkin's hiring, due to your friendship and who knows why else. ?EVERYONE has their certain biases, but for CLASS ACT bluebengal to play the religion card once again, that is shameful. Show some class.. I think everyone on that committee has some good measure of dignity and genuinely wants what is BEST for ISU, and really that's all that matters..

You are correct, sir. I believe Al would have been a great coach because he has been a great coach here and everywhere he has gone. But that is not in the cards. So I am not supporting anyone publicly. I am just telling you what I hear. We all want what is best for ISU and fortunately will not have to stake our jobs on the hire. Tingey will have to do exactly that. The problem is that any hire is a roll of the dice.

Well that didn't take long to get our first committee member's response. I think you're a little too upset with one person's opinion there Matt. Nevertheless, lets get to some of the points you have raised.

1) Other schools' committees. I never said that schools do not put committees like this together as far as titles go (i.e.-booster, inner-department personnel, former players). I only stated that the committee members should have more of a basketball background so that they are capable of evaluating the candidates.

2) The religion card. If you weren't so upset over reading about my lack of appreciation or confidence in you, then you would have been able to realize I was only using those examples (monetary donations and religion) as common ground for you and Tingey. Simply stating that those are the reasons he chooses to entertain your thoughts. If I had a problem with the religion itself or thought that might influence the decision making for the new coach then I would have brought it up with McMillan and Schaack, and would not recommend Stucki and Kinghorn as the former player reps.

3) Well, honestly, you didn't have any other real points in there, just some childish name calling and taunting. I did find it laughable though that you recommend showing some class, while at the same time calling myself and what seems to be everyone else who chooses to voice their opinions on here clowns and haters. Maybe take your own advice into consideration??

Lastly, I do not doubt that all of the committe members, you included, genuinely want what is best for ISU, the fact still remains that you are incapable of evaluating the candidates that are placed before you and in fact giving ISU what is best for them.

Until next time...

Latest posts

Back