• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Search Committee

Well, this is all adding up now, and I can see it for what it is.. Bluebengal, your IP address reveals that you are in Iowa, which reveals that you are one of a few possible individuals, all associated with O'brien. That is fine.. I understand now. I'm not anyone of any significance. I don't work for ISU, I'm not a huge donor, or even part of the boosters, yet. I've been a fan my whole life, and unlike you, my sole interest is the betterment and success of the University as a whole. I apologize if I've offended any of you at one time or another, yet I don't need to hide behind an anonymous screen name. I call it how I see it, am entitled to my opinion just as you are. If you are part of the O'brien clan/entourage, which there is a great chance you are, just stop. You are not helping the situation, only making it worse. All I, as well as most others want, is a winner, and I know it can be done here.. Contrary to what so many of the haters/excuse makers have said for so long. It's time for a renaissance.

My name is Cameron Hicks, and I approve of this message--

Irwin M. Fletcher said:
This is a not a committee which is in place to search for a new candidate; it's in place merely as a facade. It didn't take a brain surgeon to see how how the information on Hawkins began to leak out.

Huh? I can say with certainty that the suggestion that a decision was made long ago to hire Hawkins, and that the search committee is a charade, is utterly false. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that either.

I never implied that Hawkins would be hired. What I attempted to allude to is the fact that Hawkins' name came out of committee coupled with the information about wealthy donors. That type of information should remain confidential, at least until the search has completed. It shouldn't be told all over town or to buddies who throw it up on every blog or message board available. It compromises the integrity of the search procedure, and it is extremely disrespectful of the candidates.

Speaking from experience, a search committee is only as effective as the person who formed it wants it to be. If you already have decided on one or two candidates beforehand, then a search committee is a waste of time and money (and a facade to save face). An effective committee will compile a list of candidates and painstakingly work their way to narrowing down the finalists and conducting interviews. Look, this process is as much about selling the university and program to the candidates as it is with the candidate sellling himself to the university. I sincerely hope it's a rumor about bringing 3 candidates in on the same day for interviews. That doesn't shed a positive light on the situation.

Yes, a search committee should be comprised of knowledgeable individuals who have the best interest of the program at heart. They should also be individuals who each have a unique viewpoint and talent which they bring to the table. The AD is a must. Having Jay on the committee is extremely wise and provides additional representation from the athletic department. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot. A booster is usually included, but a booster who served on the same losing staff with Jay doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A former player makes a lot of sense, but a wise and reasonable committee will have interviewed most of the current players to obtain their vantage point. A player one year removed from the program and who is actively working in the athletic department is providing no unique insight. I have no question he is intelligent. Many search committees I have seen usually have a representative, such as a faculty member, from the academic/administrative side as well. Somebody like Jerry, Mark, or Brad, who have seen every conference opponent firsthand, would also prove to be a valuable resource.

Sniper said:
Why can't a booster be friends and/or play pick-up games with players?

There are many regulations which govern the dynamics of boosters and student-athletes. Obviously, any interaction between boosters and recruits is prohibited. Once they become student-athletes, there is a fine line. My coach always told us to be respectful, courteous, and appreciative of the boosters, but to never make that fine line "fuzzy." It's not worth putting the university or the athlete at risk. You could say it's a matter of ethics, I suppose. While playing a pick-up game in an informal setting isn't necessarily against NCAA rules, it begs the question: why does a 30, 40, or 65 year old booster want to maintain a personal relationship with an 18-22 year old student? That's the kind of thing which raises a red flag.

tuffgong said:
Bluebengal, your IP address reveals that you in Iowa, which reveals that you are one of a few possible individuals, all associated with O'brien.

How do you know that? How and where are you able to see the IP addresses?

I can see the IP address and I asked in PM's iwho hails from Burlington, IA. More to come later, many PM's to sort through.

The great thing about these sites are people have been coming on here for years and ripping people, calling them names, and being pretty rude since of course they can remain in the dark.

The great thing about this spicific debate is that it shows you a few things. First of all names are starting to come out for posters, which is good because it now gives everyone a chance to put a name behind a post. Why they feel the way they do, who are they affiliated with. Do any of these posters have ties to athletics, admin, or boosters.

Is there a problem with our current coach, Mr. Martin? Has taken pretty mediocre talent ,and sets third in the Big Sky. From what I understand, the kids really like him ,and he is putting people in the stands. Saw in the Salt Lake Tribune that Chris Jones is a STRONG candidate, which is pretty much a slap in the face to Mr. Martin. I just hope that this committe will take a long look at Mr. Martin and forget the ..." He is not under any pressure, wonder if he can recruit, would he have been on our list ,if he had not shown up here." I do know that he can recruit ,and he sure as heck can coach.

E5Bengal said:
The great thing about these sites are people have been coming on here for years and ripping people, calling them names, and being pretty rude since of course they can remain in the dark.

The great thing about this spicific debate is that it shows you a few things. First of all names are starting to come out for posters, which is good because it now gives everyone a chance to put a name behind a post. Why they feel the way they do, who are they affiliated with. Do any of these posters have ties to athletics, admin, or boosters.

Pardon me, I did not catch your name?

Bengalsrule said:
Is there a problem with our current coach, Mr. Martin? Has taken pretty mediocre talent ,and sets third in the Big Sky. From what I understand, the kids really like him ,and he is putting people in the stands. Saw in the Salt Lake Tribune that Chris Jones is a STRONG candidate, which is pretty much a slap in the face to Mr. Martin. I just hope that this committe will take a long look at Mr. Martin and forget the ..." He is not under any pressure, wonder if he can recruit, would he have been on our list ,if he had not shown up here." I do know that he can recruit ,and he sure as heck can coach.

I don't think Coach Martin is eliminated from the candidate pool?

I don't know why former coaches feel the need to get on this board after they get fired or quit and cause drama? O'Brien and Zamberlin didn't get it done, plain and simple. It's time to move on with your lives.

Why are some folks so hell-bent on discrediting Jeff Tingey and the search committee?

I have talked with Jeff a handful of times and I like him and respect what he is doing at the university. I hear “nepotism” from the haters as well as the term “hand picked” by the university president to because he embraces being told what to do. I think that is the biggest load of crap and quite frankly I am growing tired of it. I have been critical of Jeff on the APR front, but I have also been complimentary of Jeff with regards to the changes that have been made in the athletic department and I really like the direction that he is taking the program.

It is also pretty well known that Coach OB and Tingey were not on the same page and really did not see eye-to-eye. Everyone and their dog new that this was going to be Coach OB’s last year and to be honest, little were surprised by OB’s resignation. Personally, I liked OB and I really do wish him the best of luck. I enjoyed his first few years here a great deal and I had hoped that he would prove the critics wrong this season.

I really like Coach Martin and the job that he has done and I also think the list of potential candidates is solid and I am satisfied with the names that have been thrown around. I don’t believe that Tingey had settled on a coach before this search and I don’t believe that the whole process is a sham as some have tried to suggest. In the end I will support the coach that he picks because quite frankly that is his job. Also, I don’t have a problem with folks pulling for Coach Wilson—even if they are on the committee. In the end, ISU needs a good coach and a coach that knows what type of mess that he is stepping into. I also really believe that Tingey needs to select someone that he can work with and someone that he trusts.

It is also my opinion that a former hoops staff or family member questioning the integrity of the search committee on this board may end up being counterproductive to the candidate that they are promoting (Martin) for the job. I don’t think it hurts him, but it certainly cannot help him. As an AD I certainly wouldn’t want the previous coaching staff being part of a package deal with Coach Martin and posting discontent on this board every time they perceive something being done wrong. Think about it, this poster has a horse in the race—a hand picked OB horse. :twocents:

Another thing, identifying potential committee participants by name on this board is classless. In particular bad mouthing a former player and booster for possibly being relied upon. I don’t know either personally, but I don’t feel like Mike or Matt deserved the negative attention as not being qualified. Implying that a booster is breaking or close to breaking NCAA rules is also a pathetic argument. I don’t think that kicking a solid booster in the nuts is a good way to go. ISU needs all the financial support that they can get and unless you know of violations—please quit implying that they are or are close to taking place.

Lastly, don't be fooled into believing that five people went into a room with a plan to fool the world. Boosters, players and current ISU faculty are all part of the process. The input of more than five people will help influence the final decision. I am confident that Tingey will make the choice that he believes will be the best choice for ISU and I believe that all the names that have been mentioned illustrate that quality candidates have been identified.

Wow, this is a very interesting committee. Who's going to ask all the question related to basketball and the plan and direction that the new coach wants to take the program. You can really stop all this back and fourth bickering and look at what's right in front of you, because everybody does it around the country when your interim is making positive progress and winning. So please swallow your pride and admit you probably have the guy for the job right in front of you. Did anybody expect to make the BSC tourney this year.?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

it's been quite some time since i've been on the old board. since i'm no longer a member of the media, or isu's staff, i thought it just better to stay away. i do have info though.

sunday interviews were done with the four finalists. wilson, evans, jones, and martin. just fyi. my sources say wilson is the frontrunner, but martin is turning heads. enjoy!

sincerely,

former tvguy

Coach Martin has done an incredible job since he took over as head coach. He has proven that he can coach at this level and win games, even with a team of guys that people were calling "less talented players". They have been called "less talented" because they were losing games, obviously the "less talented" part is not true as they have proven they can win. It would be insanity to let him go for another coach who hasn't proven himself in D1 or at ISU. It is an easy decision. Go with coach Martin as head coach. :thumb:

Don't you all feel safe knowing that if you disagree with Bengalcub, he is giving out your IP address and God knows what else to friends such as Matt and Cameron? Who else is he giving the information out to? What a great site for hackers!

P.S. Wilson is the front runner? And Jay and Matt are on the search committee, and they all worked together? Must be a coincidence.

I feel safe knowing that the Den community does a pretty decent job of scrutinizing first-time posts that contain the type of accusations that were in Bluebengal's first post.

p.s. Nice first post Security Breach.

p.p.s. I've been on the Den for years and have never seen Cub publish an IP address, nor been accused of hacking the accounts of Den users. In this case, he simply told us that Bluebengal's IP address was in Iowa.

Well, unlike most of the homers on here the last week, I don't really have a dog in the fight and am excited/anxious for whoever gets the job. All I want is for ISU to excel and start dominating.. I want the coach that will help us achieve that. If that's Martin, and the decision is made for his hiring, my full support to him.. Not real sure why I'm getting b!+ched out . ? My only interaction with bengalcub is on this message forum.

Been ...doing this for over three years now.

Although Den folks may disagree with my opinions at times, I do believe that they trust my judgement on who I block and who I call out by IP address. I have done it three times and I have only revealed the name of a poster on one occasion and it was quickly deleted after the poster deleted the "off the wall" disgusting post.

I want to let the Den community know what is going on here. I have had to ban some IP addresses and usernames recently because folks are crossing the line. A poster cannot get on here and call out a person by a full first and last name, name of business and occupation and sling mud on them because they are of any particular religious faith.

I have deleted a post and called out a user by IP location in attempt to get them to stop. These multiple posters opinions are not ones that I always agree with, but that is fine...we can debate that. What we won't debate is malicious type slander.

Lastly, I will not let a players parents slander a coaching staff. I will not allow a player to slander coaches and teammates and I will not allow the ISU administration to dictate what fans can and cannot debate. Obviously, I will not allow first time posters the opportunity to come in here and reveal very detailed information about a member of this community.

Coach Martin is the candidate that I am most jacked about. However, I will be excited about any of the four that have been mentioned as finalist. With that said, the classless display for Martin supporters have done a great disservice for an extremely talented young coach.

Lastly, I do not personally know Matt or Cameron as some have suggested. However, I am looking forward to meeting them both. I may not have time for the immediate future, because Jeff Tingey is paying me run interference for the university. What everyone fails to realize is that I an I alone will make the next coaching decision.

Hey Cub, can't anyone see anyones IP address?

Who is this Evans?

Here is how I look at it. Tingey in my opinion has not lead us into the dark. Still impressed with his decision making. It is his job to make the final decision if I agree or not.

Now my opinion... Wilson has been here before as an assistant. Sorry but to me it's like "you had your time to shine" moment with that staff in the past. I want new blood and someone with new ideas and new coaching styles. I guess I don't want old habits to form from the past and in my own head I think I could easily play the blame game(he was here before, he had his chance) if he doesn't turn the program around.

I guess we will have to see who our AD picks. Let the best candidate get the position. Whoever the new coach is, I hope you have all your ducks in a row and don't let us down!

I think the search committee was just fine. Probably one of the better basketball oriented ones I have heard of. I have the hope and confidence in them that they are looking out for the betterment of the program whether we agree or disagree.

Latest posts

Back