• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Search Committee

I just thought I'd take a moment to post a few thoughts...wise or not.

First of all...about search committees:

I had the chance to be on the committee looking for Jon Newlee's replacement as women's basketball coach. I think we had almost 40 applications, and we had a LOT of work to do, and Jeff gave us good direction...which I needed as it was the first search committee I've ever served on. We whittled the applicants down to about ten, then down to 3 or 4 for face-to-face interviews. I hope you're all pleased with what Seton has done since his hire. I feel fortunate the Seton was in the list of candidates assigned to me to examine and recommend.
If Jeff has given this committee the same charge he gave us...I'm confident in the work being done. I know several people on the committee and am not too concerned that this is a "railroad job" from the get-go, although if Louis is hired I know there will be some that will likely cast aspersions.

About the candidates:
I know Louis Wilson and loved working with Louis when I had the chance. Frank recorded a video in hawaii of Louis and me singing the national anthem. he and I had great times together, and I know he's done some impressive stuff since leaving ISU.

I don't know anything about the guy from Utah State...and if Bill Hawkins is the other guy I don't know anything about him, either.

I've learned a lot about Deane Martin since he came to ISU. I think hiring him was one of the smartest moves Joe ever made. I can say with solid knowledge that Deane and this staff have been recruiting for the future since the day he was named interim coach. I also am confident that if Deane recruited for Charlie Spoonhauer at St. Louis and UNLV...he also knows how to recruit. Finally, I know he knows how to coach. I've watched him take a team that had no confidence and turn them into a bunch of kids who have faith in their ability to win through nothing but hard work and a willingness to never give up. I hate to admit it, but I was one of those guys that never gave this team a chance to be where they're at today. I watch Deane in practices and in games...and he has the attention and respect of all these guys. I honestly believe that he's convinced every player that each has a role to fill...no matter how big or small, and that each role is needed. I like Deane's temperament, especially with the way he coaches these kids one-on-one.

Yes...I will be disappointed if Deane doesn't get the job because I think he's earned it, but I'm not seeing everything behind the scenes. I just see from my point-of-view. I think what he's done has made it very difficult for the committee...especially if any of the committee members went into this task with a favorite other than Deane. Can you imagine the pressure on a committee if it hired somebody else, then Deane is named Big Sky Coach of the Year? It's crazy to think about. I've heard that some applicants even withdrew their names after Deane got the team going...but it was just hearsay.

Now having said that...I'm totally confident in Louis' ability to recruit, too. He's an outstanding individual, with a TON of positives going for him. If Deane isn't the one hired, I can't imagine a better coach than Louis. If Deane and Louis are the top two candidates...I think the Bengals are going to be okay.

I will not be disappointed if Louis is given the job.

However..
I think Deane has to be the front-runner. He's done a great job and deserves to have the interim tag removed. I like the recruiting news I've heard, and I think he can build a successful program here.
I think the rest of the season and conf. tourney could be his real job interview.

Out of curiosity I wanted to see who was on the search committee last time around:

"Members of the search committee, which represented faculty, staff, students, alumni, former student-athletes and the community, included Scott Benson (Faculty Athletic Representative), Mike Calley (President, Bengal Foundation & former Student-Athlete) , Leonard `Buddy' Frazier (Affirmative Action Director & former Student-Athlete), Dr. M. R. Mickelson (former Team Surgeon), Mike Standley (Director of Compliance for ISU Athletics), Josh Thompson (ASISU Senator & former Student-Athlete), and James `Byrd' Yizar (Assistant Dean of Students & former Student-Athlete). "

Full article: http://www.isubengals.com/news/2006/3/22/032206aab_298.aspx?path=mbball

Where the heck are those basketball minds? I mean really?

Then I thought about it more...Paul Bubb?

Then I thought about it a little more...inside job? Didn't Bubb have a history with OB?

Hello Mr. Pot, I am Mr. Kettle :coffee:

Great post about St Louis and UNLV. Those are the type of connections that I feel we need. Martin deserves the chance.

Those are interesting findings, cub. I knew that O'brien & Bubb were old buds, and I'm not saying that's bad. They took a shot with O'brien, it didn't work, now time for a change. No big deal..

Latest posts

Back