• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Softball 2013

You caught a game! I envy you. Looks like the weather was great for a ball game. I just caught the tail end of today's game on Livestats. Arizona does indeed have some good bats. They beat us 8-1. Well, we asked for it, playing UA and ASU. Average pitchers like we seem to have will get shelled. We're not in their league. Next week in Hawaii we can relax on the beach and lick our wounds. Conference play should be better, but I admit I'm a little nervous. Bertrand seems a little off, Johnson work a day, and Wright - well, as a freshman she's struggling. Our hitting is promising, though. Better than this time last year. How about freshman Lauren Bliss! How about all those homers! We should do better in Hawaii.

pdxfan...Went for half of the game on Sunday, had a golf tee time at 1:30 pm. Bertrand struggled again today, she was definitely off her game. She was relieved by I believe a freshman pitcher who really did pretty good, she stopped U of A's scoring. I believe, U of A didn't score anymore runs once she started pitching. With a little more seasoning she could be good. She was definitely hitting the strike zone when I was there. There wasn't as many mistakes as there was on Saturday evening, the team seemed to settle down. U of A is good at hitting the open spaces. Think this was great experience for the girls.

Wow! Hawaii's Parnaby is for real! She threw 15 strikeouts yesterday - we barely got out of the box. Hawaii picked up 7 runs in the first two innings against Wright, and it looked like another 5 inning walkoff. But Tobin-Hawk left Wright in, and darned if she didn't blank them for the next four innings. Oh, and by the way, we took East Carolina in the earlier game 9-0 in five innings.
Today we play the Japanese PE College team first. We can beat them, but they're no pushovers. I'm guessing T-H will pitch Raya Johnson if she's healthy and save Bertrand for the next game - again, # 21 Hawaii. Parnaby will maybe pitch again - she's a workhorse.

At our first conference game of the year, Bertrand pitched a two hit no run 7 innings, striking out 12. She's back on form. We won, 5-0. Our indominable freshman catcher, Lauren Bliss, was three for three, including a home run. Stay tuned for the second game, which starts momentarily.

We lost the second game, but came back today to win the third 5-4. Bertrand pitched again. That puts us tied with a slew of teams for first at 2-1. This is going to be a close season. I like the way the coach puts in the freshmen, givng them experience. Celaya, Petersen, Orozco all got in, even though it was a tight game. Our freshman pitcher Wright seems to be good for about 5 innings and then collapses. Might be a good idea to automatically pull her at 5, at least until she builds up some strength. Sure glad we've got our freshman catcher playing; Bliss is hitting 5 of 6 for the first three conference games.
Is Raya Johnson hurt?

We swept Weber State this weekend, 3-0. The last game today was to the point; Bertrand pitched a one hitter and Hendrickson went four for four, with two home runs. Predictably, our team batting average has gone steadily up as we move into the conference and weaker pitchers. Wright pitched a couple innings in the second game; she collapsed after three, and Bertrand had to relieve her. Raya Johnson isn't being used much. Maybe, to build up Wright's experience. We're tied for first in conference with Sac State. UNC is in the running. It's early yet.

Try 7-1. We picked up two from UNC today in a steady drizzle. Maybe UNC isn't used to rain. As usual Bertrand pitched both games - no earned runs, a total of 15 strikeouts. 5-0 in the first game, 9-1 in the second, ended in the fifth because of the 8 run rule. Sadie Lopez hit two home runs, one in each game. Tobin-Hawk is using Betrand steadily now, no tryouts for Wright. She might start her tomorrow, now that we control the series. Other freshmen are being substituted freely; Celaya is a super fast runner, and scored a couple times after being substituted in as a pinch runner. I'm impressed with our batting this year. It's dominant. But Bertrand helps. :-)

We took the third game from UNC today, 5-4. Bertrand was shakey in the beginning, letting in 4 runs in the first inning. UNC didn't let up thereafter, but Bertrand spaced the hits and they got no more. By the 4th ining we had the measure of the UNC pitcher and were scoring runs. They switched pitchers in the 5th, but it did no good - we pushed in the winning run in the bottom of the seventh.
We were picked to win the conference, and it looks like that pick was accurate. But now we've got a play off tournament on top of it - presumeably, we'll have to win it to go to the Regionals. Two fences to jump.

PSU women's softball team won the tournament today; we'll move on the the NCAA Regionals, opponent and place to be decided. We took out first Idaho State, the best hitting team, Southern Utah, then took out Southern Utah again for the final game. We were lucky - Sac State had the best pitching team but lost out early on in the tournament. A fitting finale for our senior spectacular pitcher Bertrand, who pitched well through the tournament. And for the other seniors who made their contributions in a series of hard-hitting games. This will be the second year in a row that we've made it to the Regionals!

In track, it's still not clear how our women's team will do, but they'll certainly be in the top 3. Sac State is a juggernaut. We don't have many field entries, and they do.

pdxfan said:
PSU women's softball team won the tournament today; we'll move on the the NCAA Regionals, opponent and place to be decided. We took out first Idaho State, the best hitting team, Southern Utah, then took out Southern Utah again for the final game. We were lucky - Sac State had the best pitching team but lost out early on in the tournament. A fitting finale for our senior spectacular pitcher Bertrand, who pitched well through the tournament. And for the other seniors who made their contributions in a series of hard-hitting games. This will be the second year in a row that we've made it to the Regionals!

In track, it's still not clear how our women's team will do, but they'll certainly be in the top 3. Sac State is a juggernaut. We don't have many field entries, and they do.

Isn't this the third straight year for us getting to the regionals?

You're right - third year in a row. I'm waiting impatiently for the announcement of who we'll be playing this time. Probably Oregon again.

pdxfan said:
You're right - third year in a row. I'm waiting impatiently for the announcement of who we'll be playing this time. Probably Oregon again.

Looks like it'll be Washington. UW is ranked 12th in the country.

Yep. We'll play UW first. I'm not sure we can take Washington, but two other teams in the Regional - Hawaii and Minnesota - are beatable.

Underlining what I mentioned earlier, the PSU women's teams have won the BSC Women's Sports of the Year trophy, a first for us. We came in just ahead of Sac State. Quite a year for the women!

Tobin Echo-Hawk is moving on, maintaining PSU's role as a stepping stone for "higher" challenges at UTEP.She's done a great job here, with 5 conference championships in 5 seasons. It's a good time to leave - she rode on pitching ace Bertrand's shoulders for 4 of those seasons, and now Bertrand's gone. There's a new freshman pitcher coming in - hope she's better than average. Johnson and Wright were only so-so this past year. But Echo-=Hawk is leaving a mighty fine team for the new coach. Go Viks!

Latest posts

Back