• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Standings as of 4/12

bozar1

What's this?! Da Bears are tied for first with a 4-0 record? Nah. Can't be. But it is. As of right now they are riding a crest of an 8 game winning streak and are doing just fine, thank you, in the Great West. They are tied with Utah Valley which is the only team in the conference with a winning record and New York Tech. A decisive series with Utah Valley comes next weekend when the Wolverines come to town for four games which could go a long way deciding who's boss in the conference. New York Tech still has things to say about this themselves but it looks like the premier series next week will be played right in Greeley.

Pitching has not been too good on the surface as the team ERA is 7.27 which is certainly pretty poor. However, in this conference that is probably ok or better. The Bears have three solid starters in Willman (3-3 and 5.24), Sawicki (3-2 and 5.80), and Shannon (2-1 and 5.82). In the world of college baseball this is a solid rotation. The hitters are at a decent .298 for a team BA. To be considered a good hitting team you must be well over .300 but I think it'll pick up a bit as they get deeper into the Great West season. Five regulars are hitting above .300 led by Mike Raudenbush at .380 and TJ Berge at .375. It looks as if the coach plays many people to get everyone involved which is commendable because you are always one pitch away from an injury so it's wise to have everyone ready. Power is provided by Kyle Hardman with 5 homeruns. Hardman is a hard man to strikeout (sorry, I had to say that) as he has only 9 Ks in 101 ABs but is hitting only .267. Things are looking up for the Bears. You folks need to go to the games. C'mon, it's college baseball and a better deal can't be had. By the way, a high school team in Ft. Collins is in the top ten of rated high schools in the nation. Grab some of those kids and don't let 'em leave home.

Sigh. I'm a fan of San Jose State and they are having a rebuilding kind of year as they lost their pitching staff to the pros and their two best hitters from last year. Turns out that was a bit too much to handle and it looks like they're a year away. They split their first WAC series with LaTech so all is not tears.

bozar said:
By the way, a high school team in Ft. Collins is in the top ten of rated high schools in the nation. Grab some of those kids and don't let 'em leave home.

I'm assuming you're talking about Rocky Mountain High School, and ya they're loaded with talent. I think they've won the last 2 or 3 state championships. I don't know why some of these kids don't choose to stay home. But, from what I've heard, my dad is the head high school baseball coach at my old high school (UNC alum as well). He's talked to some of the other coaches, and they felt that UNC doesn't go after the home grown talent as hard as they should. I don't know if this is true or not. I think there might be some truth to it, because I read an article about Rocky Mountain before the season got started, and that really good lefty they have is going to Gonzaga to play his college ball. Another one of their players is going to Arkansas. I know last year one player went to Nebraska, another to Standford, and another to Kentucky. Just think if UNC was able to keep those players here.

Those are all pretty strong programs so I'm assuming they are all pretty good players. If only two decided to stay at home and play at UNC, the program would grow. If that could continue, the Bears would outgrow the Great West. With that said, I've heard rumblings about the MWC as well as the WAC about schools jumping to other conferences. It's time for UNC to make some noise.

I know that San Jose State doesn't recruit out-of-state because of the cost of out-of-state tuition but, then again, there's plenty of talent in the bay area as well as California in general. Doesn't hurt baseball but basketball takes a hit in that area as the bay area doesn't have much in the way of HS basketball players.

Da Bears win their 9th in a row Tuesday as they down the Air Force (not a very good team) in a typical mid-week game where everyone seems to throw an inning. No matter, they won and are looking pretty strong. Utah Valley Friday.

Are these scores normal for college baseball? Is the pitching that bad or is it the aluminum bats?

In the last 9 games we are averaging 10 runs a game and they look more like volleyball scores than baseball.

Apr. 2 Montana State-Billings W, 13-5 Final Boxscore
Apr. 3 Montana State-Billings W, 13-11 Final Boxscore Recap
Apr. 4 Montana State-Billings W, 2-0 Final Boxscore Recap
Apr. 6 at Air Force W, 19-14 Final Boxscore Recap
Apr. 9 at Texas-Pan American * W, 11-6 Final Boxscore Recap
Apr. 10 at Texas-Pan American * W, 10-3 Final - 7 innings Boxscore Recap
at Texas-Pan American * W, 10-4 Final Boxscore Recap
Apr. 11 at Texas-Pan American * W, 7-2 Final Boxscore Recap
Apr. 13 Air Force W, 18-14 Final Boxscore Recap

These scores are not that atypical in D1 baseball. Metal bats help. Poor pitching, especially depth, helps. Most D1 schools have one or maybe two starters that can pitch deep into a game without getting hammered. Only the big programs can boast 4 or 5 starters to be able to do that. That separates the UNCs and the San Jose States from the Arizona State and Texas teams. Depth. This has been happening in the WAC a lot this year. I think New Mexico State was involved in a 30-24 game or some such nonsense. They also play in a wind tunnel but there is still little excuse for that. As I've said before, it's all about pitching.

Very cool they are having this much success.. Too bad the local radio station (1310 KFKA) aren't doing the games this year for the first time. They used to, but I would imagine it's just not a smart business investment seeing that support for the baseball program is minimal. I really do need to make it out to games, I notice they have a series against NYIT in Greeley, followed by a game with Texas Tech, who I'm not sure how we got them to come to Greeley.. Anyway, cool stuff and I hope the UNC people get behind these guys.

Latest posts

Back