• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The PAC/MWC Dominoes Begin to Fall

The State Hornet X feed just reported the following:

The Intercollegiate Athletics fee increase was approved. Set at $181, the fee will rise to $256, a $75 increase over the next three academic years. Athletics will provide alumni one free ticket to all home sporting events for three years after graduation starting fall 2025.

@sacstate anticipates the fee will generate approximately $4 million for facility maintenance and improvements, including but not limited to a new multi-use stadium for several sports. Football, soccer and ruby are named in the SFAC memo.
This will push our overall athletics budget past multiple MWC members, including San Jose State.

Here is Dear Leaders' official statement, it doesn't breakdown the numbers but $4M a year for facility improvements and maintenance is very significant. Also significant is the IRA fee increase as the should increase funding for the marching band.

We're either going to be an FCS program with FBS level funding in the Big Sky or an invite to an FBS conference (probably the Mountain West) is imminent. Either situation is a win.

There's also this:

Last edited:
This will push our overall athletics budget past multiple MWC members, including San Jose State.
Sac has more sports than most non-cali MW schools.
Is it a $181 increase? Or fees will rise to $181? Or is it at $181 to rise to $256?
31,000x181=$5.6M, where did the $4M come from that you used?

Also, is that $181 per semester, or yearly?

If FBS happens, FB HC salary will need to more than double. What are the lowest HC salaries in the MWC? Probably Nevada or NM being the lowest?

A $75M stadium with a 30yr. loan would be ~$3M a yr. SD Hornet, you are in construction, what are your numbers?

Last edited:
Sac has more sports than most non-cali MW schools.
Is it a $181 increase? Or fees will rise to $181? Or is it at $181 to rise to $256?
31,000x181=$5.6M, where did the $4M come from that you used?

Also, is that $181 per semester, or yearly?

If FBS happens, FB HC salary will need to more than double. What are the lowest HC salaries in the MWC? Probably Nevada or NM being the lowest?

A $75M stadium with a 30yr. loan would be ~$3M a yr. SD Hornet, you are in construction, what are your numbers?
The $4M comes from the tweet below. Note that there were multiple fees that were increased, here the link to the details on the fees.

As far as costs go it depends on the design. Cheapest would be to raze the whole site (track and stadium, leave the Broad and expand it to meet FBS needs) and dig out a lower bowl and construct reinforced concrete sections with bleacher/chairbacks into the earthen bowl. The expensive part(s) would be the next level above the bowl seating which would be needed to get the capacity into the mid-high 20k range and have FBS amenities such as luxury suites and a press box. I would hope the stadium would be sized for future expansion to a 3rd level to get another 12-15k capacity. Of course we can save money by not constructing bathrooms.

Curious if that $50-$75 mil that was reportedly slated for stadium renovations are separate funds from these new student fees.

Last edited:
Shocked that the Admin actually DID something. That has to mean things are moving ahead...
Gonzo, Nelson never stepped over the line. Kudo's to Wood for moving forward. If nothing else, it will put Sac near the top in FCS funding.

If they did the stadium correctly, bowl configuration, like davis, it would be much more beneficial. If a pro soccer team has aspirations of playing here, dont think they would want a track simply because it puts fans farther away from the field. Move the current track to the practice area and use 5,000 of the Rose Bowl bleachers for seating for the fans who want track. Eugene has a lock on national track events, so why fool ourselves that Sac will ever host again. And what direct benefit did Sac State receive for hosting anyway?

Curious that $50-$75 mil that was reportedly slated for stadium renovations are separate funds from these new student fees.
Didnt see any proposal in current Sep. 24 Board of Trustees docs for this, they would need approval before saying anything to the public. I see the $4M a year to be used for upgrading the John, Shea and tennis facilities and maybe debt service on the stadium?
Until BB has a few above .500 seasons, I say let them play in the Well/G1 until it is needed.
I would think the $50-75M was outside of this funding model.

Other than seeing the $50 to $75M for stadium renovations mentioned on this board, I haven't seen it written or publicized anywhere else. Only the $5.2M approved last year for WELL improvements. Where would I find a reference to the stadium improvements online? What am I missing?

The new 11,000-seat stadium for the Kansas City Current (NWSL… women’s soccer) went for $120 million. That’s in Missouri. I don’t know how much mitigation was required for being near the Missouri River that might add cost. But I have my doubts that you get as much stadium as you want for even $100M.

I have always loved the Alabama State facility that was $65M. Incorporate the Broad, get capacity up to or just above 30,000 and I'd be elated. I realize $ amount is in 2012 Alabama dollars...

Stadium.jpg

Last edited:
I would expect to see a budget version of Snapdragon Stadium. Wood is familiar with that process....

I could see it getting done for around $200 mil. A full commitment on a legit stadium may make the financing easier. Some naming rights money. Contract with some live entertainment promotion companies, Sac Republic, etc.

So does the potential revenue stream from being in the PAC-12. While it seems like a pipe dream to go for PAC-12 from the outside, I think the committee is serious. A PAC-12 football team is practically professional level sports and will draw in legit regional business support. May not happen, but you have to take a serious shot.

Financed + CSU + donors + naming rights + student fees + partnership with private orgs (republic?) + on campus events?
Thanks, Kadeezy. But, I was hoping HornetFootballFan could, without giving away source, provide any kind of concrete info as to where the said money is coming from.

Latest posts

Back