• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

U of I provides summer funding for football why can't ISU?

Just found out that U of I will be providing athletic money to their football team this summer. Doesn't make sense to me why they get that privilege and our same state school doesn't. Same state and yet we are being put at the disadvantage. ISU needs to figure this out so that money will be provided to our guys, and our team as a whole won't be put in a disadvantage compared to U of I and everybody else in the big sky coming into fall camp and the season itself.

I'm assuming that UI, even though they are running in the red regarding their athletic budget, (prompting the stories about dropping some sports) either are willing to keep running in the red or perhaps they have a donor lined up to contribute enough money to get this done for this off season. And because of Title IX issues they'll have to come up with some funds for female athletes staying on campus over the summer too.

I don't think the SBOE has anything to do with allocating funds for this particular situation so it isn't favoring one school over the other.

Just guessing on my part of course.

PBP

Either way the school in Moscow is figuring out a way to get it done. Isu is at a continual disadvantage when it comes to the way they run things.

As with many things at Idaho State, there’s nothing a little money can’t fix. Looking at the annual reports at the last SBOE meeting, ISU’s athletic department reported contributions last year of just under $400 K. Idaho reported donations of $2.5 million, Boise State $10 million.
https://boardofed.idaho.gov/meetings/board/archive/2018/0418-1918/05BAHR-FINANCE.pdf?cache=1525261490341

At least our donations have gone up a bit over the years. When I started giving to the booster club about 20 years ago or so, the total contributions per year were about $350,000. Idaho's contributions have gone up a bit after they moved up to FBS about 20 years ago. But watch these contributions go down significantly since they've announced they're going back down to the Big Sky. There are many boosters that are highly upset that they're going back down and have vowed to not contribute to their booster organizations because of this. There's one Vandal booster that I can think of that's given about $100,000 per year but won't give them anything since they've announced they're moving back to the Big Sky.

....just a thought...I know the FAT club is raising money with a goal of "funding" a football scholarship from their efforts.....won't argue that might be a worthy goal..i think I read where they were $ 20 K shy of their goal and expected to reach it with their next golf tournament......but after that goal is reached what if "someone" calculated what the cost would be to keep the entire team in Pocatello during the summer and the FAT club worked on "making it happen" ......just brainstorming.....

clawsout said:
....just a thought...I know the FAT club is raising money with a goal of "funding" a football scholarship from their efforts.....won't argue that might be a worthy goal..i think I read where they were $ 20 K shy of their goal and expected to reach it with their next golf tournament......but after that goal is reached what if "someone" calculated what the cost would be to keep the entire team in Pocatello during the summer and the FAT club worked on "making it happen" ......just brainstorming.....
Sounds like a great idea.

PhenFan160 said:
Just found out that U of I will be providing athletic money to their football team this summer. Doesn't make sense to me why they get that privilege and our same state school doesn't. Same state and yet we are being put at the disadvantage. ISU needs to figure this out so that money will be provided to our guys, and our team as a whole won't be put in a disadvantage compared to U of I and everybody else in the big sky coming into fall camp and the season itself.
Demand ISU accountability.

The Idunno fans are up in arms today because their best returning defensive player announced yesterday that he is transferring to BSU. He's a grad transfer and led the Vandals in tackles last year. He was also an all Sun Belt Conference linebacker.

If it does not happen than it is ok for a player to go home to be with family and friends, work part time if they want, and work out on their own to stay in shape.

up for the challenge said:
If it does not happen than it is ok for a player to go home to be with family and friends, work part time if they want, and work out on their own to stay in shape.

Yes, but being away from the team and the strength program for a whole summer with nobody holding them accountable to do the full summer workouts is not good. Need to get these guys with Coach Ryan all summer so they can maximize those months before the season starts. Plus throwing all summer and 7on7 all summer is something that is very important too!

I couldn't agree more. The players need to stay in town and be lifting and throwing. FAT is a straight up has been at this point and it was self inflicted. They did have some very valid points but after attacking Valias and Tingey they lost their voice. FAT also is about FAT! They have used the football program to party for years.

idgaf said:
FAT is a straight up has been at this point and it was self inflicted. They did have some very valid points but after attacking Valias and Tingey they lost their voice. FAT also is about FAT! They have used the football program to party for years.

Nope.

http://isufat.com/GolfScramble/Information.aspx

Heard today that unfortunately there will not be any summer scholarship money available for ISU football but many players are going to stay in town for at least part of the summer and get as much work in as they can given trying to work etc.

PBP

Several members of the FAT board have quit. Several sponsors have pulled out from the golf tournament as well as the major sponsor for the party. FAT is still around, but the question is for how long?

Thanks for the update PBP. That is very unfortunate that the university still doesn't understand the importance of a summer program.

Very disappointing. Come fall when the team doesn't look as big/fast/strong as their opponents where to place the blame will be obvious.

Frustrating when the student athletes first opponent is the off season, should be an easy win, too bad this hasn’t been part of someones budget for a 5 year outlook.

Where is ISU football going to find a friend to help provide a way for these guys to get the help they need to compete?

Completely unacceptable that the admin doesn't see the importance of a summer program. Way to put the program behind the 8 ball :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I am sure the majority of the players will report to Fall Camp in good shape. If some do not report in good shape that is their own fault for not working out.

Latest posts

Back