• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

U of I provides summer funding for football why can't ISU?

up for the challenge said:
I am sure the majority of the players will report to Fall Camp in good shape. If some do not report in good shape that is their own fault for not working out.

Good shape and full off-season program football shape are two different things. Plus you need to factor in a full summer of a training staff that is there for any unforeseen injuries or setbacks the players could receive this summer just working out on their own in their old high school weight room. Kramer days most the players just went home and came back in "good shape" .. How did that work out?

PhenFan160 said:
I am sure the majority of the players will report to Fall Camp in good shape. If some do not report in good shape that is their own fault for not working out.

Good shape and full off-season program football shape are two different things. Kramer days most the players just went home and came back in "good shape" .. How did that work out?

Not so good but that was not Kramer fault.

If there was money last year, then there should be money this year! It all comes down to making it important. If Idaho is a state school and in the Big SKy why are they getting summer school and ISU isn't?

idgaf said:
If there was money last year, then there should be money this year! It all comes down to making it important. If Idaho is a state school and in the Big SKy why are they getting summer school and ISU isn't?
I’m assuming it has to do with the fact Idaho raised over $2 million last year while ISU’s private fundraising was less than $400 K. As to why last year and not this year, PBP notes ISU realized paying for only the football team and not women’s athletes may be a Title IX problem.

Excuses is all I hear. Why could they afford it last year? ISU loves to use Title IX as an excuse. If Idaho raised $2 million and ISU was less than 400k thats a huge problem. Programs that truly want to win find a way to make things happen.

idgaf said:
Excuses is all I hear. Why could they afford it last year? ISU loves to use Title IX as an excuse. If Idaho raised $2 million and ISU was less than 400k thats a huge problem. Programs that truly want to win find a way to make things happen.

Welcome to the reality of Idaho State athletics, which has an annual budget of just over $11 million — vs the University of Idaho, which has a budget of almost $23 million. That allows Idaho to do A LOT of things ISU cannot do, starting with paying their football and basketball coaches twice what ISU can pay its staff. I will give Jeff Tingey credit — he has been able to raise enough money to build the practice field, remodel the locker rooms at Holt and Reed, and upgrade the weight facility. Rumor has it the athletic department may be moving into the medical facilities next to the Dome, when the current lease expires. That would be a huge potential upgrade for player services.

But ISU has no deep pocket donors who can just make problems like Title IX compliance magically disappear. I don’t believe ISU has ever raised over a million dollars in one year (although the money that built the performing arts center was originally targeted for a new arena). It has not been for a lack of effort, but rather a lack of donors.

idgaf said:

Just wanted to point out a fact regarding ISU. Because of the nursing, teaching and dental hygienist programs (all of which are excellent) ISU has always had a higher number of female students than male. That may be changing recently, I can't say with certainty about that but in fact Title IX is a big deal especially for a school that has that type of gender enrollment breakdown.

As I recall a few years ago ISU was getting into trouble regarding Title IX issues, I want to say in the early part of the new century if memory serves...so apparently someone in the past noticed and filed a complaint to get the government involved.

You can agree or disagree with Title IX especially since many of their sports are non-revenue creating at a lot of schools but it is the law, its not going anywhere and schools have gotten into big trouble over it if they don't abide by it.

Regarding your last statement, as many others have pointed out in the past, its hard to get anything done if you don't have the money. Two million compared to 400 thousand is a major, massive difference.Can that problem be solved? Maybe...so far it hasn't happened. I know folks around here have tried without success, people who I always thought gave it a good effort.

PBP

The orthopedic center isn't a big secret! They need to go find the money! I have never been asked for a dime from ISU Athletics. They continue to go to the same well every time. Try new ideas, ask former graduates. Just don't simply say the money is not there. That is why ISU keeps spinning it's wheels.

idgaf said:
The orthopedic center isn't a big secret! They need to go find the money! I have never been asked for a dime from ISU Athletics. They continue to go to the same well every time. Try new ideas, ask former graduates. Just don't simply say the money is not there. That is why ISU keeps spinning it's wheels.

I’m sure Joe Borich would love to hear from you. He’s a great guy and if you’re willing to help, that would be awesome.

I would love to help. Let me know what it's for and what I can do. Is it to late to help with the stipends? Did anyone make any attempt to raise funds for the stipends? If so, when? If no, than why not?

idgaf said:
I would love to help. Let me know what it's for and what I can do. Is it to late to help with the stipends? Did anyone make any attempt to raise funds for the stipends? If so, when? If no, than why not?

With many of the players already scattered and some working, its probably to late for anything for this year and I'm guessing you are talking about a good deal of money for 50+ guys.

IDGAF: If you want to send me an e-mail or contact me directly with your contact info, I'll personally get it to Joe and have him get to you immediately. I can do it tomorrow (Wednesday) if you can get it to me.

PBP

PhenFan160 said:

Good shape and full off-season program football shape are two different things. Kramer days most the players just went home and came back in "good shape" .. How did that work out?

Not so good but that was not Kramer fault.
Who's fault was it then?

I've never had to fund raise any significant amount of money but I don't understand how a year can go by without any reported attemps until it's too late.
If a random company in Boise can raise over a million for an ancient horse track why can't we find someone willing to help benefit our University via the football program on such a scale?

Just a frustrated voice...

Seriously what's the hold up??

Bengal_believer said:
If a random company in Boise can raise over a million for an ancient horse track why can't we find someone willing to help benefit our University via the football program on such a scale?

Good question. Just a few guesses:

* There aren't a lot of those companies around in SE Idaho, especially compared to Boise who can raise / donate that kind of money (And I have no idea which ones of those who can ISU may have already reached out to)

* Basically 40 years of losing has simply killed any real long term fan interest in this area including companies. You saw what happened when ISU had that great season a few years ago, fans started coming back, crowds were great...but to reverse this trend you have to win for a few years, not just an 'outlier' here and there. Win and everyone, including companies, wants to get on the bandwagon.

Just some guesses on my part...who really knows for sure.

PBP

Everybody would like to see a summer program where all expenses are paid for 50 players. Let's get real here ... there is a thing called reality. If anything any extra money should be used toward summer school classes for players that need the credits. We need to get these players graduated on time especially the players that did not redshirt as taking a full load of credits and playing football is not easy.

Kennesaw State had their first football game in 2015, their stadium seating 8,316. Last year they beat the cats, 16-14, in Bozeman, losing in the quarterfinals of the playoffs, ending their season at #8 in the nation, not #8-10 in the BSC. Where there is a will, and money, you can see what can be done. There is no will or money ISU can latch onto.

Latest posts

Back