• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Week 7 - #18/20 Sac State vs Eastern Washington

SDHornet

Staff member
Week 7 - #18/20 Sac State vs Eastern Washington

The 18th/20th ranked Hornets (2-3, 0-1 BSC) host the flailing Eastern Washington Eagles (1-4, 0-1 BSC) under 7th year Head Coach Aaron Best. Both teams are coming into this game off of a bye week. The Eagles have not won a game since a week 1, 42-27 win against Monmouth. The Eagles 3 FCS losses are by a combined 10 points. In their last game, EWU lost at home to Montana in a 49-52 barn burner.

The Eagles offense found life in their last game as dual threat quarterback Kekoa Visperas (104/142, 1076 yds, 10 TD, 37 car, 143 yds, 2 TD) displayed his talents and the high flying potential this offense has. EWU runs pretty much everything under the sun out of 11 personnel, RPO, spread, mis-direction, lots for opposing defense to prepare for. The Eagles have plenty of talent with wide receiver Efton Chism III (47 rec, 513 yds, 7 TD) being the main target in the passing game. Running backs Tun Altahir (52 car, 306 yds, 1 TD) and Malik Dotson (53 car, 271 yds, 3 TD, 8 rec, 96 yds). Up front, the EWU offensive line has good size and is mobile on the misdirection plays, but they have allowed 9 sacks on the season (along with 3 other BSC teams).

Offensive Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 32.6 (3rd BSC / 19th FCS)
  • Total Offense: 432.8 ypg (198.8 rushing ypg / 234.0 passing ypg) - 3rd (3rd / 4th) BSC
  • Sacks Allowed: 9 (T-6th BSC)
  • Turnovers: 1/1 (INT/Fum)
  • Red Zone: 20/22 - 17/3 (TD/FG) - 3rd BSC

Defensively, EWU has been dreadful. The Eagles 4-3 / 4-2 sets have struggled to stop anyone and have yet to make a red zone stop. Safeties Derrick Ganter Jr (37 tkl, 0.5 TFL) and Kentrall William Sr (32 tkl, 1 TFL, 2 INT) leads the defense in tackles and interceptions. Linebacker Ahmani Williams (18 tkl, 1.5 TFL, 1.5sac) leads the defense in sacks.

Defensive Team Stats
  • Points allowed per game: 38.2 (11th BSC / 110th FCS)
  • Total Defense: 495.0 ypg (205.2 rushing ypg / 289.8 passing ypg) - 11th (9th / 11th) BSC
  • Sacks : 7 (9th BSC)
  • Turnovers Forced: 2/0 (INT/Fum)
  • Red Zone: 19/19 - 17/2 (TD/FG) - 12th BSC

The Eagles special teams have been notable in the return game. Returner Michael Wortham (26.1 ypr) has had some big returns this season with a long of 55 on the year. Punter Landon Ogles (18 pnt, 42.1 ypp) has pinned 8 punts inside the 20 and has 4 punts longer than 50 yards. Kicker Soren McKee (20/20 PAT, 3/4 FG) has not had many opportunities this season and has a long of 36 yards this season.

Hornet Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 27.6 (7th BSC / 42nd FCS)
  • Points allowed per game: 25.8 (6th BSC / 48th FCS)
  • Total Offense: 375.6 ypg (148.8 rushing ypg / 226.8 passing ypg) - 8th (8th / 2nd) BSC
  • Total Defense: 325.6 ypg (67.8 rushing ypg / 257.8 passing ypg) - 3rd (1st / 6th) BSC
  • Sacks Allowed: 5 (T-2 BSC)
  • Sacks: 19 (1st BSC)
  • Turnovers: 7/7 (INT/Fum)
  • Turnovers Forced: 6/7 (INT/Fum)
  • Red Zone Offense: 18/24 - 11/7 (TD/FG) - 10th BSC
  • Red Zone Defense: 12/16 - 10/2 (TD/FG) - 2nd BSC

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Eagles. Kekoa Visperas can make big plays with his legs and arm and is a far better talent than Carson Conklin.
  • Running Backs: Push. Elijah Tau-Tolliver is the best all around back on the field, but the combination of power runner Tuna Altahir and the shift Malik Dotson are a capable duo.
  • Wide Receivers: Eagles. Efton Chism III is the best wide receiver on the field by a wide margin, but as a group the Hornet receivers have had a better season so far. Edge to the team with the game impactful playmaker.
  • Tight Ends: Hornets. Coleman Kuntz has the same production as Jett Carpenter and Austin York combined.
  • Offensive Line: Hornets. The Hornet offensive line will have to make amends for their horrid performance in Flagstaff, but still protect the quarterback better than the Eagles.
  • Defensive Line: Hornets. Hornets get after the quarterback much more efficiently than the Eagles, and they defend the run better as well.
  • Linebackers: Hornets. Will Leota and Nakian Jackson find the ball much better than Adam Cohen and Ahmani Williams.
  • Defensive Backs: Push. Both secondaries have a penchant for getting burned in the passing game. On paper, the Hornets are better…I have my doubts in this one.
  • Punters: Eagles. Cal McGough has a slightly better punting average, but Landon Ogles has pinned opponents inside the 20 at a better clip.
  • Kickers: Hornets. Zach Schreiner is much more proven than Soren McKee.
  • Kick Returners: Eagles. Michael Wortham has come close to breaking a few wide open. Maybe this is the week Michael Johnson is back on kick return duty.

Don’t let the Eagles record fool you, this is a talented team with nothing to lose, which makes them a dangerous team to play. Coach Best is coaching for his career so I would anticipate for him to pull out all the stops every week. There are some serious matchup issues for the Hornet defense in this one. While the Hornet front will be up to the task, they will have their hands full trying to contain Visperas and limiting the big plays. I anticipate Chism easily carving up the Hornet secondary, so it will be interesting to see where/how this Hornet defense can find some stops.

On the other side of the ball, the Hornet offense under the inept play calling from Coach Fresques should be able to move the ball against the porous EWU defense. They are that bad at getting stops. If the Hornets take care of the ball and execute, they should find plenty of success. Interestingly of note, we get to see one of the worst red zone offenses against the worst red zone defense in the BSC, so something will have to give.

I’m reluctantly picking the Hornets in this game. While the playmaking ability of the EWU offense concerns me, the Hornet offense should be able to control the tempo of this game. Couple that with a reprieve of being on the road 4 of the first 5 games and coming off a bye, the Hornets have no excuse for not showing out in this game.

Stingers Up!

EWU vs Montana Highlights:

Last edited by a moderator:
My hope in the bye week was that we would dust off the 2022 binders, find the one for when we went to Cheney and ran the ball for 385 yards, and just install the exact same game plan and plays. We handed the ball to Skattebo 29 times.
That, was a very good day. 👍

My hope in the bye week was that we would dust off the 2022 binders, find the one for when we went to Cheney and ran the ball for 385 yards, and just install the exact same game plan and plays. We handed the ball to Skattebo 29 times.
I’m starting to think Bobby F too prideful to use Troy Taylor’s teachings. He seems to be stubborn and wanting to make his own offense work.

We had such a great offense that I don’t understand how I’ve seen zero humility or accountability by coach BF? Or maybe it just isn’t being seen by me and having him use the old plays & style of our best years, 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I emailed mark orr said time to be a big boy program and start having the music w some accountability w Press Confrrences. That Sh-t Show at NAU still has me losing sleep at night. Ugh

I think Bobby knows I’m pissed because he blocked me. As I stated. I like Bobby F. But this is not personal. It’s business! He’s a paid D1 football coach. He has to deliver plain and simple.

I’m nervous because EWU will be rolling the dice and they better have given Conklin some hot routes, draws, shuttle passes or something to counter the blitz.

100% the game starts exactly like NAU on defense. And our O Line 5 vs 3 was getting beaten.
Which was shocking.

We win this game by 10. Bobby F will run the ball often then a few throws. But Montana state / UCD etc he better get it together or I’m going to be saying his name often and loud to go back to being our QB coach and needing a legit OC.

Even FU CD w ref assistance against Portland state seem to have a good OC

Right now I feel Bobby Fbis at our near the bottom in our conference for OC performance and productivity!

It’s a brutal tough climb back to Top 10

I’m starting to think Bobby F too prideful to use Troy Taylor’s teachings. He seems to be stubborn and wanting to make his own offense work.

We had such a great offense that I don’t understand how I’ve seen zero humility or accountability by coach BF? Or maybe it just isn’t being seen by me and having him use the old plays & style of our best years, 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I emailed mark orr said time to be a big boy program and start having the music w some accountability w Press Confrrences. That Sh-t Show at NAU still has me losing sleep at night. Ugh

I think Bobby knows I’m pissed because he blocked me. As I stated. I like Bobby F. But this is not personal. It’s business! He’s a paid D1 football coach. He has to deliver plain and simple.

I’m nervous because EWU will be rolling the dice and they better have given Conklin some hot routes, draws, shuttle passes or something to counter the blitz.

100% the game starts exactly like NAU on defense. And our O Line 5 vs 3 was getting beaten.
Which was shocking.

We win this game by 10. Bobby F will run the ball often then a few throws. But Montana state / UCD etc he better get it together or I’m going to be saying his name often and loud to go back to being our QB coach and needing a legit OC.

Even FU CD w ref assistance against Portland state seem to have a good OC

Right now I feel Bobby Fbis at our near the bottom in our conference for OC performance and productivity!

It’s a brutal tough climb back to Top 10
Losing sleep, emails to the AD and incessant rants about the OC. Pretty sure you made your point. It's sad that anyone allows the outcome of college football games to create so much anguish in their life. Maybe you should drink more?

The 2026 Coaching Staff:

HC/OC - Troy Taylor
Asst. HC/OL - Kris Richardson
DC - Roger Cooper
ST/WR - Tyler Osbourne
RB - Malcom Agnew
DL - Craig Paulson

and the biggest returner - Ryan Deatrick! :sneaky:

Losing sleep, emails to the AD and incessant rants about the OC. Pretty sure you made your point. It's sad that anyone allows the outcome of college football games to create so much anguish in their life. Maybe you should drink more?
LOL.. I live in Hawaii so the 3 hr time difference looks worse. But yes. We’ve gone decades waiting for our program to be a big Sky contender.

We finally had it with TT staff. He moved which I understand it was big $. But a good student of the game should have been taking notes and learning.

We should be having HC press conferences! It’s time to start acting like our fans care what HC has to say about games.

The 2026 Coaching Staff:

HC/OC - Troy Taylor
Asst. HC/OL - Kris Richardson
DC - Roger Cooper
ST/WR - Tyler Osbourne
RB - Malcom Agnew
DL - Craig Paulson

and the biggest returner - Ryan Deatrick! :sneaky:
I’d take it. TT isn’t lighting the world on fire at the funny farm. He made his $$$, so come home and retire with a nice long run building the program again.

It’s totally on Fresques/Thompson for only having one QB for the season. KB was halfway out the door last mid season. Almost dereliction of duty by the coaches wasting a year like this.

I’d take it. TT isn’t lighting the world on fire at the funny farm. He made his $$$, so come home and retire with a nice long run building the program again.

It’s totally on Fresques/Thompson for only having one QB for the season. KB was halfway out the door last mid season. Almost dereliction of duty by the coaches wasting a year like this.
Let's play this out. Curious what the alternative would have been here. Let's say KB did leave this past offseason, would we really prefer Camp (SR in his last year of eligibility) starting over Conklin? Both have similar traits with Camp having a bigger frame and arm and similar, if not lesser, mobility than Conklin. Spending a year with a player that is done rather than giving the younger player meaningful time to develop seems short-sighted.

Or is the argument a better QB than any currently on the roster would have been brought in?

Conklin saw meaningful time last year while also preserving his redshirt. Conklin was always the heir apparent. I'm struggling to follow the logic on this hypothetical.

Latest posts

Back