• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Week 7 - #18/20 Sac State vs Eastern Washington

It’s ok if you lose but they weren’t hustling

I don't know if it's a lack of hustle as much as it is a lack of trust in what they're being asked to do.

There was a play in the 3rd qtr I believe where the offense was lined up and the staff send Borders in the game. The offensive players said no, get off the field. Borders threw his hands up as he runs off. Coach dropped his head. Conklin called time out.

No matter who was at fault in that situation, this staff is in over their heads. Team lacks leadership and discipline.

28-35 Hornet loss. The Hornets season is officially over, it would take running the table from here on out to even have a shot at a playoff berth, and it's evident that isn’t going to happen. The pivotal moment in the game was the on-side kick that gave all the momentum to EWU, and they never looked back. Plenty of places to pin this loss, but the glaring thing to me is how the Hornet offense only managed 7 2nd half points against one of the worst defenses in FCS. Once again, the offense goes away from what was working and catches a loss in the process.

I was concerned that the Hornet defense would struggle against a talented dual threat quarterback, but I didn’t think they would struggle this bad. Tackling was bad as well and the lack of adjustments to EWU’s quarterback power sets were head scratching. Even after all of that, the Hornets were in the game until a late EWU touchdown put the game away.

Here are my takeaways from the game:
  • Brilliant play calling, execution, and tempo/ball control in the first half…total opposite in the 2nd half. It boggles the mind why this offense went away from the run when it was still a one possession game for almost the entire 2nd half.
  • Safe to say a change at offensive coordinator is needed. We’ve seen enough from Bobby to know he can’t cut it at the D1 level. We now get to see how Coach Thompson handles this, ultimately the buck stops with him.
  • Game management was poor. On that missed holding/pass interference call on Danny Scudero (8 rec, 62 yds, 1 TD), everyone stood around to pout at the referee instead of getting the next play resulting in the use of a timeout. Maybe the Hornets get one last chance with the ball at the end if they have that timeout…maybe…
  • Defense was a total no-show for most of the game and the defensive front got punked by EWU. When the Hornets would bring some heat, they lost contain and gave up chunk yards. The Hornets finally made some stops in the 2nd half but the Hornets couldn’t take advantage of it.
  • Special teams had a major let down on the on-side kick that played a major role in this loss. EWU pulled that same play in their last game, no reason to not be ready for it in this one.
  • Special teams also came through on a big fake punt to keep a drive alive.
  • On a positive note, the Hornet offense finally found success in the red zone, and Carson Conklin (21/35, 238 yds, 4 TD, 1 INT) threw 4 touchdowns in the loss. He had a few bad throws into coverage and the interception didn’t cost the Hornets any points as EWU doinked a field goal on the ensuing drive.
  • Elijah Tau-Tolliver (18 car, 94 yds, 2 rec 50 yds) was poised to have an amazing game until Bobby took the ball out of his hands in the 2nd half. Completely inexplicable.
  • It was good to see Michael Johnson returning kicks again, and he responded with a nearly 25 ypr average.
It’s pretty ironic that our run started with an upset win over EWU in Hornet stadium in 2019 and ended with an upset loss to EWU in Hornet Stadium about 5 years later. It was a damn good run while it lasted and I enjoyed every minute of it. I thought the Taylor era residual would last more than a season and a half, unfortunately regression to the mean happened a lot sooner than I hoped it would. Now this program is left picking up the pieces as it searches for a way to remain relevant.

Stingers Up!

Fresno first play, NAU whole game, Onsides kick, Players visually expressing dissatisfaction multiple times on coach play calling. This program needs a complete cleaning, carry over from TT was shaky at best and has completely gone off the rails.

Single, most important perceptually public aware season in program history and the coaching personnel has turned this program into Jody Sears #2.

MSU, FUCD are going to embarrass this team. So is losing to a then 1-4 team.

Latest posts

Back