• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Week 8 - Sac State vs Weber State

Since 2002 I’ve been hurt many times. This one is up there. Embarrassment in front of 16,000 people.

Last edited:
Will never apologize for winning, but sheesh.

This is not the right time or place for an OC to learn on the job. If Sac goes to FBS, the staff can not go with us.

Will never apologize for winning, but sheesh.

This is not the right time or place for an OC to learn on the job. If Sac goes to FBS, the staff can not go with us.
My wife wasn't feeling well so we were heading out as Kuntz caught his TD pass in the 3rd. Figured it was over given how the Hornet defense was finally getting stops/turnovers and offense was just dominating up front. What could go wrong, right?

Come to find out Bobby dials up a gadget play that is returned for a 95 yard pick six to let Weebs back in the game. That brilliant play call turned at minimum a 20 point 4th quarter lead into a 10 point 4th quarter lead and gave all the momentum to Weebs. And here I thought I was going to have to eat some crow from Bobby. Amazing. Oh well, a win is a win.

Kadeezy, sorry for not seeing your messages. I feel bad brother. Next time just pull up to the table and start grinding on food and downing drinks. We always have more than enough to go around.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU RUN A TRICK PLAY UP 17

That play call — on 1st and goal from the Weber 8 yard line up 17 with 13 minutes and change remaining — is not only among the most idiotic decisions I’ve witnesses in a long while, it should be enough to warrant this OC’s dismissal at seasons end.

The Hornets were beyond super lucky to still eek out that 2OT win after that momentum altering and nearly game altering play call.

How on earth he doesn’t run the ball 3x in that situation — with a RB that had 100+ and 3 TD’s at half no less — escapes me.

Anybody with half a brain that knows anything about the game of football (even if all they’ve ever done is watch the sport) should understand that the odds of losing that game given the score, field position, and time remaining was almost nil.

The only way to lose it, or even make the game remotely interesting, was to call a play like the one Fresques called. Putting the ball in the hands of a non-QB to make a throw like that is not only gratuitous, it’s egregiously brain-dead.

I don’t recall ever feeling so angry and frustrated after a win. Especially a desperately needed win.

After weeks of what we’ve seen from Fresques this season — this was the proverbial cherry on top. IDK how anybody can defend the guy with a straight face anymore. Anybody that does so is either related to the guy, trolling, or just intentionally being argumentative.

My wife wasn't feeling well so we were heading out as Kuntz caught his TD pass in the 3rd. Figured it was over given how the Hornet defense was finally getting stops/turnovers and offense was just dominating up front. What could go wrong, right?

Come to find out Bobby dials up a gadget play that is returned for a 95 yard pick six to let Weebs back in the game. That brilliant play call turned at minimum a 20 point 4th quarter lead into a 10 point 4th quarter lead and gave all the momentum to Weebs. And here I thought I was going to have to eat some crow from Bobby. Amazing. Oh well, a win is a win.

Kadeezy, sorry for not seeing your messages. I feel bad brother. Next time just pull up to the table and start grinding on food and downing drinks. We always have more than enough to go around.

You’re lucky you didn’t have to witness it. You’d have vomited day-glo on the spot.

We can question Tau-Tolliver for the type of pass he threw — but the kid should have never been put in that position in the first place. Which is the entire point.

I still cannot believe that play call actually happened given the situation. Unbelievable.

Man, get off here. Former dline for Sac St and was 1-1 vs Weber but you’ll losing tonight. Stick to your own board.
First, kiss my ass. Second, you’re a fool who doesn’t understand how it works. Finally, you couldn’t play kiss ass water boy to my abilities so go back to your butt boy world where the keyboard is the only place you can talk shit while you simultaneously video your wife banging the garbage man.

51-48 Hornets win in double overtime. Hornets get a much needed win at a time when one was needed the most. Depending on your view, you can focus on the positives or negatives, but given the outcome there are plenty of positives to take away from this game.

Offensively, Coach Fresques called a brilliant game. There was one awful gadget play call that was clearly not needed, which let Weber State off the mat, but aside from that this offense was very efficient. Carson Conklin (32/47, 357 yds, 3 TD) had a spectacular game and made some great decisions. He checked down to open receivers underneath and connected on some deep passes to stretch the defense. He also came through in the clutch in overtime to put the Hornets in a position for the win. A very impressive showing for the redshirt freshman. Most impressive on the game was the strategy to get the ball into Elijah Tau-Tolliver’s (19 car, 141 yds, 3 TD, 11 rec, 85 yds) hands. Both in the run and pass game, ETT was an absolute monster tonight amassing 226 total yards on 30 touches.

Defensively it was a mess. Weber State put up video game numbers, that said, the Hornet defense got critical stops when needed. A couple of early turnovers in the 3rd quarter put this game heavily in the Hornets favor. The Hornet defense also had a couple of big stops on 4th down and inside the red zone that preserved the tie in regulation and forced the game winning missed field goal in overtime. Somehow, some way, the Hornet defense found a way.

Special teams had a notable night. A lot of credit for this win can go to Zach Schreiner (3/3 FG, 5/5 PAT) as he was perfect on the night with 2 makes from beyond 40 yards, including a clutch make in overtime that was ultimately the difference. The Hornet kick return game looked strong but had a handful of big returns negated due to penalties. However, on the other side the Hornet coverage team struggled to keep the WSU return game under wraps.

Here are my takeaways from the game:
  • I need to do a better job at checking my messages during tailgating.
  • Coach Fresques had a great game plan and play calling game. There was one terrible gadget play (and let’s be real, Coach Taylor pulled the cutesy bullshit too) but this offense played to its strengths and put players in positions to be successful. This game should give us all hope that he can turn it around the rest of the way.
  • Stellar performance aside, Conklin showed some improved mobility with his legs. He does well at extending plays, however he needs to improve on throwing on the run and stepping up into the pocket. He also missed on the open shots down the field. I think all of this will come as he gains more reps as the future remains very bright for him here.
  • ETT is the spark plug for this offense. Keep feeding this man the ball.
  • Curron Borders (5 car, 39 yds, 2 rec, 4 yds) had some impressive plays. Lots of potential to succeed if he is put in the right situations.
  • Grover Anderson (8 rec, 136 yds, 2 TD) had a big night as he and Jared Gipson (5 rec, 67 yds) and Danny Scudero (4 rec, 59 yds) had solid games as well.
  • The receivers need to work on coming back to the ball better. At a minimum, they would get more PI calls like Weber was getting all night.
  • Solid game for the offensive line in both the pass protection and run game. When some tough yards were needed, this group came through more often than not.
  • Defense had a rough tackling game, granted, the WSU ball carriers were doling out stiff arms like it was baby oil at a Diddy party.
  • The brutal truth is that this Hornet defense has been exposed these last two games and I don’t think there is much that can be done about it. Getting critical stops at consequential moments will be what matters from here on out (see 2023).
  • Nakian Jackson (12 tak) led the defense in tackles, but Brandon Knott (11 tak) had a very active game, getting big tackles in clutch situations.
  • Will Leota (10 tak, 3.5 TFL) had some key stops in the backfield, our linebackers continue to have solid play.
  • The secondary had a rough game. A lot of those PI calls go away if they can get their head turned around…of course easier said than done.
  • Zelmar Vedder (7 tak, 2 TFL, 1 sac, 1 INT) had a banner night and provided a one handed interception in the end zone that will be on the highlight reel for years to come. He also hit home on a sack that resulted in the 2nd turnover which the Hornets cashed in for a touchdown.
  • Last but not least, Schreiner was clutch tonight. All the ups and downs during the game and this season, the one constant is his reliability in the kick game. Huge.
The easy out is to focus on the near collapse and complain about how this should have been a 3 possession victory. The hard out is realizing that this program isn’t the dominant one it was a couple of years ago and we are in store for a lot of scrappy and wild games. Maybe this program is just going through a growing phase as Coach Fresques and his young gunslinger figure things out, or maybe the Hornets just aren’t as good as we think. Time will tell, but for now we can enjoy this hard fought win and look forward to another wild game in the Pokey Dome next week.

Stingers Up!

Offensively, Coach Fresques called a brilliant game. There was one awful gadget play call that was clearly not needed, which let Weber State off the mat, but aside from that this offense was very efficient.

He called a great first half.

Second half, not so much. Especially Q4 when he made that indefensible trick play call then goes 3 and out the next two possessions after it.

OT he was better. But it shouldn’t have ever gotten to that point in the first place.

Latest posts

Back