• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Athletic Facilities

Mackay Stadium does appear to be what they're going for. Permanent bathrooms and concessions are necessary. But expansion of seating isn't unless the goal is to move up to FBS level. Looks like the school is positioning itself for the jump.

As far as people in the MWC talking about taking ND and SD, the people don't know anything about Sacramento. ND and SD are in their orbit and strong programs, so it's a given that's where they look. Buy if the MWC is smart, they will jump all over the Sacramento market.

Kadeezy said:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CyDvJ0jO7mD/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

I see Urijah Faber, Mark Orr, and Dr. Wood. Any idea what this is about? We adding wrestling?

Internationally?
MMA Champion/Wrestling star involved with his business located on Folsom Blvd??

I am reserved excited having 2004 PTSD on the WREC, 2018 Power of 1,000 Hornets Campaign as failed teases.

Will shovels hit dirt right after the season, or when a funding campaign is met, or???
Guess we will have to wait until next month, I am sure they will present this at the BOT for approval before announcing. Nov.7-8.

Man, I want the track removed though.

Green Cookie Monster said:

First let me say, that any improvements are a good thing. I acknowledge that. A lot of what's being discussed/rumored sounds good.

However, any plan still including the track is short-sighted and limited in its potential.

No offense to UNR, but that setup is just an over-the-top high school facility. Yet there are still HS stadiums that are much nicer than it is. And track free.

I just don't understand the immense difficulty or reticence in relocating the track. Football is one of the two flag ship sports that typically subsidizes everything else. Maximizing fan experience at football games seems like it should be the top priority. There's good reason why most mid-to-high profile football programs at the collegiate level don't have tracks surrounding their football field.

To me, if they are going to spend a fair amount of $$$ to finally update Hornet Stadium, it just doesn't make sense to half ass it and not relocate the track. It may not seem like much to some, but the viewing sight lines are drastically different and a big deal.

That all said, probably like most everyone, I am pleased that some type of movement is (allegedly) happening. It's certainly better than nothing.

Buckeye… multiple sources have confirmed it will happen and we are all in synch appreciative and excited.

Kadeezy reported from his source I believe that track is staying but they will have temporary bleachers cover the track to bring the fan experience closer to the game. It sounds like a good way to achieve our goal of being closer and them not having to replace the track.

Possibly they think future track venues might be a good revenue source? I’m not sure.

This is purportedly still being ironed out but that an announcement will be in November. 🙏🏻 Early Christmas to Hornet Fans!

BuckeyeHornetFan said:

First let me say, that any improvements are a good thing. I acknowledge that. A lot of what's being discussed/rumored sounds good.

However, any plan still including the track is short-sighted and limited in its potential.

No offense to UNR, but that setup is just an over-the-top high school facility. Yet there are still HS stadiums that are much nicer than it is. And track free.

I just don't understand the immense difficulty or reticence in relocating the track. Football is one of the two flag ship sports that typically subsidizes everything else. Maximizing fan experience at football games seems like it should be the top priority. There's good reason why most mid-to-high profile football programs at the collegiate level don't have tracks surrounding their football field.

To me, if they are going to spend a fair amount of $$$ to finally update Hornet Stadium, it just doesn't make sense to half ass it and not relocate the track. It may not seem like much to some, but the viewing sight lines are drastically different and a big deal.

That all said, probably like most everyone, I am pleased that some type of movement is (allegedly) happening. It's certainly better than nothing.

As much as I dislike it for football, Sac State's track is state of the art and brings in major events each year, including the NCAA Western Regionals this past May, which had hundreds of athletes from major colleges and thousands of fans in attendance. Lot of money for the region and university. It also hosts Olympic qualifiers from time to time. From the school's perspective, it would be foolish to just dismiss it or move to a lesser location. If anything it will probably increase the amount of track and field events at the stadium.

Excellent posts in this thread. I agree that anything is an improvement on what we have, but it would be great if the track went elsewhere. From a T&F perspective, nothing is going to compete with Hayward Field in Eugene. Time to stop pretending that hosting major national T&F events in Sac is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDlYbkV_8aY

Great to see news on a facility, however I won't get overly excited until the admin releases actual details on the matter. We've been burned on these types of announcements before, if it's not coming with the backing of a student fee and/or a whale then it's hard to see it coming to fruition.

I really like the stadium from my wife’s alma mater, Akron.

https://www.playeasy.com/facilities/44d11a23-aaba-489c-9dc1-cdccb40d7458/photos

Old Dominion’s is decent, https://www.sbballard.com/portfolios/odu-sb-ballard-stadium-updates/

FootballAlum84 said:
As a former player/assistant I often think about the potential that is Hornet Stadium and the already missed opportunity when building The Well to remove the track, enclose the stadium and have both ends of the stadium book ended with 2 modern facilities. Now I know it never was simple as just building The Well closer but I can’t help but look at the potential that is always sitting there. I may even be guilty of looking at Google maps of Sac State thinking about how I would design the stadium and move the track to the practice field.

It is time for a track to take a back seat given the Oregon will host any and every major track event probably forever, and CIF State Championships aren’t even held here, they’re at a high school in Fresno.

I looked at the 4 stadiums proposed earlier in the thread and Sac doesn’t even need something of that magnitude. While it is great that lately the Causeway has been max capacity I’m not so sure we need a stadium capable of holding +$20,000. This is the best Hornet football has ever been and we’re still managing in the 10,000-15,000 which is great but that away side is always so sad to see on TV.

I happen to come across a renovation that D2 West Texas A&M completed recently and it’s impressive, I’m sure cost to build would exceed these figures in the articles I’ll list below, but less than $40 million for this facility is well done. I also think Sac could benefit from having something more around 15-18k capacity seating with some option to expand if necessary in the future. Here’s to hoping the track is removed soon and we all begin to see something happen that could make Sac a true destination for FCS football!

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2018/4/20/board-approves-construction-of-wtamus-on-campus-football-stadium.aspx

https://www.lty-engineers.com/projects/west-texas-am-university-football-stadium/

This is beautiful, reasonable size and sets a nice platform for expansion. A lot like what UC Davis did.

However, the negatives from the plans I’ve heard are that the track is staying, and capacity will be favored over something like you linked. I will not complain, beggars can’t be choosers. I realize there may be other MLS? XFL? Track and Field considerations, and like SD will wait and see if we are burned. But this one feels real…

Hoping they do it right! I don’t want an erector set of aluminum like Nevada. Looks cheap sadly,
The Cal Poly & UCD facilities look like high school stadiums from inside. I know they scale but I don’t want to wait another 20 yrs to see next phase.
If they have $50-75M let’s build a permanent concrete HOME side of the stadium. Premium booster section, sound system, lighting and advertising bill boards to make $ and press boxes that are for the part. TV Monitors need to be re positioned to the guest side of the stands to show the home team fans, band , student section etc.

If we have budget shortfall then keep visitor stands status quo unchanged.

Phantom Hornet said:
BuckeyeHornetFan said:

As much as I dislike it for football, Sac State's track is state of the art and brings in major events each year, including the NCAA Western Regionals this past May, which had hundreds of athletes from major colleges and thousands of fans in attendance. Lot of money for the region and university. It also hosts Olympic qualifiers from time to time. From the school's perspective, it would be foolish to just dismiss it or move to a lesser location. If anything it will probably increase the amount of track and field events at the stadium.

How exactly does Sac State financially benefit from having full hotels and increased business in the city?
If the city/county is a major funding source of this renovation I could see the connection.
Seems like the city is getting a free ride for exposure and revenue. And Sac State is playing the hobo cheap 'we will take any exposure' card.

If the city wants to benefit from increased exposure at track events and full hotels, why dont they use ARC or Sac City, or the new soccer team's footprint for a city owned track?

When Sac or Big Sky have a track event, it is 100's not 1,000's who attend.
Move the track to the practice field, Hornet soccer field or the solar panel lot by the stadium, throw up 1,000 of the rose bowl grandstand seating and call it a day.

HornetFootballFan said:
Hoping they do it right! I don’t want an erector set of aluminum like Nevada. Looks cheap sadly,
The Cal Poly & UCD facilities look like high school stadiums from inside. I know they scale but I don’t want to wait another 20 yrs to see next phase.
If they have $50-75M let’s build a permanent concrete HOME side of the stadium. Premium booster section, sound system, lighting and advertising bill boards to make $ and press boxes that are for the part. TV Monitors need to be re positioned to the guest side of the stands to show the home team fans, band , student section etc.

Move the media press box, current press box, to the visitors side so the camera pan shows the home side and not the significantly emptier visitor side.

Phantom Hornet said:
BuckeyeHornetFan said:

From what I understand, Oregon is getting the top events nowadays. But even then, the track doesn’t need to be surrounding the football field to get the events you’re talking about. The two things are not mutually exclusive. Hence why all legit football programs don’t have a track surrounding their football field!

Furthermore, track events will never outdraw what the football program potentially could be. In fact, the success of the football and basketball programs (if they can ever get an arena built) are what would help subsidize track and field and other sports. That’s why it makes sense to focus on fan experience wrt football as the top priority.

Locate the damn track someplace else on campus and move the erector set stands there. That’s no loss for track and field. Right now, the experience of all sports using the football field are suffering from the presence of the track.

If you’re gonna invest and spend millions on upgrading the experience — do it right.

HornetFootballFan said:

I completely agree.

Just relocate the damned track to the practice field and re-assemble the erector set bleachers there. No harm, no foul.

The track and field lobbyists will still be happy that the campus can host events now and then and football fans will be happy they are 10-15 yards closer to the action.

If you’re spending upwards of 50M, do it right.

HornetFootballFan said:

Move the media press box, current press box, to the visitors side so the camera pan shows the home side and not the significantly emptier visitor side.

So you want the broadcasters, the statisticians and most importantly, the Coaches, to look into the sun - got it.

You've been an awesome fan for years, GCM, and you still are and always will be, but having been on the sidelines, Sting is correct here, particularly for those members of the coaching staff who take advantage of the press box for seeing the field. He could say it a bit nicer, but this is his way. We just have to get used to it. You might say that that shouldn't be an issue because most games at Hornet Stadium are held at night, but I for one would love to bring back day games. They work out better for students in the dorms because that leaves evenings for either celebrating the big win or studying (student's choice, of course).

I didnt say put the game announcers, statisticians or coaches in the visitor side box, I said put the camera pan from that side. Whatever.

Just remember:
When Gonzo took over he made a splash and pushed the WREC through ASI....nothing.
When Nelson took over he made a splash with Power of 1,000 Hornets.....nothing.
When Wood took over he made a splash by announcing a $75M stadium......?

I didnt say put the game announcers, statisticians or coaches in the visitor side box, I said put the camera pan from that side. Whatever.

Just remember:
When Gonzo took over he made a splash and pushed the WREC through ASI....nothing.
When Nelson took over he made a splash with Power of 1,000 Hornets.....nothing.
When Wood took over he made a splash by announcing a $75M stadium......?

You have to put them on the same side of the field -- both logistically and for the broadcast to make sense.

But ok whatever you dumb fuck

I didnt say put the game announcers, statisticians or coaches in the visitor side box, I said put the camera pan from that side.

I get why you’d want them to do that, but I don’t believe you’ll ever see any one change the view so that the field logo is upside down.

I doubt you can name one major FBS broadcast and likely no FCS broadcasts that show the midfield logo upside down.

I’ve seen it done for HS streaming broadcasts, but never for college or pro.

We’re just gonna have to get used to seeing the bare visitor side. Unless they can, you know, update the stadium to where fans don’t think of the stadium like a HS venue thus more fans start to fill out that side of the stadium.

Latest posts

Back