• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Bengal Won-Loss Records, 1978-2017(FWIW)

Coaches pretty much have to justify and justify again when they want to spend. And because of a small pie, they're usually forced to try and continually perform at a higher level with less to work with.
[/quote]

Which is why the ISU WBB "Crab Feed" is so vitally important. It raises around 15 thousand dollars to help the program. For ISU that's a huge amount of money...at schools like No. Carolina, Kentucky, Texas, UCLA they'd laugh at that amount, but here it's a big, big deal.

PBP

What about the money games football plays? Georgia, Oklahoma,Utah, BYU, Boise St, Colorado, Nevada, Cal, Liberty etc...is what supports the athletic department. Don't fool yourself for one moment.

idgaf said:
What about the money games football plays? Georgia, Oklahoma,Utah, BYU, Boise St, Colorado, Nevada, Cal, Liberty etc...is what supports the athletic department. Don't fool yourself for one moment.

No sport at ISU pays its own way. Last year, football generated revenues of $2.3 million (including $975,000 in guarantees), with expenses of $3 million.

What "supports the athletic department" are the taxpayers ($4.9 million in direct and indirect institutional support last year) and the students ($1.8 million in fees).

I know that this is for a different sport, but for men's basketball for example, the team is supposed to raise around $425,000 in revenues for guaranteed games. Thus far we've got games at Pepperdine and San Diego, and possible games at BSU and Gonzaga, in our attempts to come up with these revenues.

spartan said:
Liberty is considered a money game...? Liberty...?
I don't know what they're paying ISU, but they paid Old Dominion $1.3 million.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/16/liberty-to-pay-odu-more-than-1-3-million-to-guarantee-fbs-home-opener-in-2018/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.16f3a75859f0

spartan said:

Liberty University has a boat load of money (same as Grand Canyon for example). They are in the process in moving up to FBS football and are paying for home games.

PBP

idgaf said:
Skippy what was the revenue and budgets for the other programs?

MBB: revenue—$1.05 M, expenses—$1.1 M
WBB revenue—$615K, expenses—$938 K
VB revenue—$247k, expenses—$543k

Other men’s sports revenue—$204 k, expenses—$547k
Other women’s sports revenue—$906k, expenses—$1.7 M.

Skippy said:
spartan said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/16/liberty-to-pay-odu-more-than-1-3-million-to-guarantee-fbs-home-opener-in-2018/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.16f3a75859f0

The Flames will pay out $350,000 and $300,000 to Idaho State and Norfolk State, respectively, to host the two FCS programs in 2018.

The News & Advance: Liberty University Readies for Football's Top Tier

Nevada paid ISU $300,00 last year, and New Mexico is to pay $375,000 in 2020...

SLCBengal said:
Skippy said:
spartan said:

The Flames will pay out $350,000 and $300,000 to Idaho State and Norfolk State, respectively, to host the two FCS programs in 2018.

The News & Advance: Liberty University Readies for Football's Top Tier

Nevada paid ISU $300,00 last year, and New Mexico is to pay $375,000 in 2020...
That's a pretty nice payday.

Funding. Funding. Funding. Give the football team as much funding as possible and give Phen a serious chance to win here. He knows what it takes to win. No matter what egriz says about Phen he consistently won games and Big Sky titles in Missoula. The players are 100% bought in to everything he says. Give the program some serious funding and lets see what happens.

PhenFan160 said:
Funding. Funding. Funding. Give the football team as much funding as possible and give Phen a serious chance to win here. He knows what it takes to win. No matter what egriz says about Phen he consistently won games and Big Sky titles in Missoula. The players are 100% bought in to everything he says. Give the program some serious funding and lets see what happens.

Agreed. The problem is where does the money come from? That's a question folks have been trying to figure out for a very long time.

PBP

bengalcub said:
... The Men’s programs will never succeed without a massive influx of $$$ and community support.

... It’s unlikely positive change will ever happen. Call me a bad fan or whatever you want. I have been a die hard fan for 41 years.

.... the Bengals will most likely never achieve any success on a consistent basis.

.. I will acknowledge that things can turn around and become great.... but the reality is the Idaho State football program will probably NEVER become a consistent contender.

You’ve got to be kidding. I think Idaho State has a great football program. I also believe they are a great fit in the Big Sky Conference. As a fan of the Big Sky since 2003, I acknowledge that you’ve known ISU FB much longer than I have, however, there’s more to a program’s success than “they need money”.

It’s my opinion that fans of FB programs in this conference look at Montana & WaGriz stadium and think “I wish that was us”. But instead of that being a negative, people should take that as a challenge. Idaho state isn’t any worse than Portland State, Northern Colorado or UC Davis, so it’s pathetic to see fans of a good program feeling sorry for themselves.

Idaho St needs two things:
  • 1| Much better recruiting & maybe shifting its pipeline slightly to obtain better HS & JC recruits.
  • 2| A quality renovation to Holt Arena.

I’m not familiar with the coaching staff or AD at ISU but by shifting the search for skill position players to NoCal & SoCal ISU will eventually have more All American players, with that more Big Sky titles & more NFL players that can give back & donate like Michael Roos did for EWU.

And as for the oldest enclosed stadium in the country... it’s time for change. As a former ISU recruit, I thought it would be so cool to have my home stadium be inside of a dome! I can’t emphasize that enough how cool I thought it would be. How many other kids think that way? FYI I’m not a huge fan of the Red turf at EWU but it’s worked! The new turf looks great but I think ISU has many options when it comes to renovation of their stadium. For example:

• Replacing the roof, possibly with a section or sections that allow natural light.
  • Painting the seats one color. Or a different color scheme.
  • Doing something different with the endzone areas of Holt Arena. This area always felt tight, cramped & unpolished.
  • Possibly following NAU’s lead. NAU built their new pressbox areas inward & lost some seating during their renovation of the Skydome but it looks good.
  • Lighting. NAU & UNI have excellent lighting in their facilities, this is something that’s needed Holt Arena. When these brighter lights come, Holt Aren should have a “new look” if not, the brighter lights won’t help.

These changes are cost friendly & will fit in any stadium ‘Maintenance & Renovation’ budget. Especially for an Arena that is the oldest enclosed stadium on a college campus in the United States.

These changes won’t guarantee Idaho State to win the Big Sky Conference Championship each year, but they don’t have to!! All they need to do is make the Bengals a contender, and make watching them a special experience for Bengal fans. Whether they are five years old or 45-ish.

.... i remember the first time i got drunk and posted on the internet...

go on now little fella - it's your nap time

Black Falkin, the upgrades you mention can be agreed to, but it still takes money.

By the way, the dome received an upgrade in lighting last summer.

https://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/holt-arena-to-undergo-lighting-upgrade/article_07607970-9407-537e-9047-bae6bafc3eac.html

Spudhead said:
Black Falkin, the upgrades you mention can be agreed to, but it still takes money.

By the way, the dome received an upgrade in lighting last summer.

https://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/holt-arena-to-undergo-lighting-upgrade/article_07607970-9407-537e-9047-bae6bafc3eac.html

Excellent! Now, what’s up with the seats being multi color? How much could it possibly cost to paint the seats? That’s half the battle with Holt Arena right there, inefficienct lighting & the multi-color seats.
Or ISU could remove the individual seats and add bench style seating with premium seating in designated places.
No doubt it takes money, but not some astronomical number that isn’t possible. These guys were discussing Hofstra!

PBP said:
up for the challenge said:
The money will come when the team starts winning.

There's a lot of truth in that.

PBP

BS! First comes upgrades, then better recruits, then wins, then money. It’s called ROI for a reason, return on investment. Idaho State has to invest. Montana, MSU, EWU, NAU all among the best facilities in the Big Sky, all their stadium improvements were done in phases. IMO

Latest posts

Back