• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Bengal Won-Loss Records, 1978-2017(FWIW)

Mark, Brad, or Jerry probably have more info on the seats, but this is what I have heard. The seats are old, and there are very few, if any, replacement seats available if they break. Therefore, painting the seats could be seen as throwing money down the drain if they have to replace all of them anyway. I've also heard they consider that cosmetic, and unless somebody specifically donates money to that project, they'd rather direct money to actual improvements to improve infrastructure.

I agree, though. Sometimes a little change can actually have a big effect in terms of perception.

I think they should rip out the seats on each end, both sides. Replace those with bench seating. Keep the seats in the middle section as an incentive for season ticket holders and/or higher priced seating. The seats which are torn out can be used as the replacements.

Spudhead said:
Mark, Brad, or Jerry probably have more info on the seats, but this is what I have heard. The seats are old, and there are very few, if any, replacement seats available if they break. Therefore, painting the seats could be seen as throwing money down the drain if they have to replace all of them anyway. I've also heard they consider that cosmetic, and unless somebody specifically donates money to that project, they'd rather direct money to actual improvements to improve infrastructure.

I agree, though. Sometimes a little change can actually have a big effect in terms of perception.

I think they should rip out the seats on each end, both sides. Replace those with bench seating. Keep the seats in the middle section as an incentive for season ticket holders and/or higher priced seating. The seats which are torn out can be used as the replacements.

Correct on your first comment. Also I've been told they can't repaint the existing seats because the paint simply won't stick and will wear off / get on the clothes of the fans.

PBP

BS! First comes upgrades, then better recruits, then wins, then money. It’s called ROI for a reason, return on investment. Idaho State has to invest. Montana, MSU, EWU, NAU all among the best facilities in the Big Sky, all their stadium improvements were done in phases. IMO
[/quote]

There's truth in your comment as well but the reality is to do the upgrades you need money. ISU says they don't have it, the community voted down a referendum some years ago to renovate Holt Arena, I think it was a bond issue but I could be mistaken, so you are between a rock and a hard place unless a big time donor steps forward or ISU bites the bullet, changes their philosophy and is willing to possibly go in the red for a period of time like Idaho is in now.

No easy or quick solutions to this.

PBP

A couple weeks ago I tried to get some response by taking a hardline position. I wanted to see if there was any life left in Bengal Den. The response was pathetic, to say the least. I noted that since Jan. 1, there were 40-45 posters, including other schools posters adding their opinions here and there. Then I thought it was the off season, so I sampled the traffic during the middle to end of the season. Again, 35-45 posters showed up, including opponents trolls.
Someone with lots of time, inclination, and a decent computer could do a better study than the quickie I did. Maybe the results would change my conclusions: 1) Bengal Den is dead; 35-45 people wouldn't fill the first two rows at mid-field in Holt; the impact of any input here, is like that of a fart in a windstorm. Phfffft!; 2) ISU athletics could be described as apathetic at all levels, mediocrity being the target, yet rarely met; comatose, intubated, IVs of every description, and tubes coming into and out of every port known. Point all the fingers you want, there is no more money, what there is has been spent wisely :roll:, money spent over the last 40 years HAS BUILT LITTLE TO NOTHING that one could point to and say 'good investment.' ROI in this case could be called ROLOI(return on lack of investment). After two generations in the making, time to at least consider pulling the plug. Maybe Saterlee can pull a rabbit out of his hat. I suspect the results would be like Bullwinkle's, "Wrong hat!" :lol:

otis campbell said:
A couple weeks ago I tried to get some response by taking a hardline position. I wanted to see if there was any life left in Bengal Den. The response was pathetic, to say the least. I noted that since Jan. 1, there were 40-45 posters, including other schools posters adding their opinions here and there. Then I thought it was the off season, so I sampled the traffic during the middle to end of the season. Again, 35-45 posters showed up, including opponents trolls.
Someone with lots of time, inclination, and a decent computer could do a better study than the quickie I did. Maybe the results would change my conclusions: 1) Bengal Den is dead; 35-45 people wouldn't fill the first two rows at mid-field in Holt; the impact of any input here, is like that of a fart in a windstorm. Phfffft!; 2) ISU athletics could be described as apathetic at all levels, mediocrity being the target, yet rarely met; comatose, intubated, IVs of every description, and tubes coming into and out of every port known. Point all the fingers you want, there is no more money, what there is has been spent wisely :roll:, money spent over the last 40 years HAS BUILT LITTLE TO NOTHING that one could point to and say 'good investment.' ROI in this case could be called ROLOI(return on lack of investment). After two generations in the making, time to at least consider pulling the plug. Maybe Saterlee can pull a rabbit out of his hat. I suspect the results would be like Bullwinkle's, "Wrong hat!" :lol:

I understand ISU has let you down, but I think your attitude sucks & Bengal fans shouldn’t be so willing to give up. Holt Arena got turf, sounds like it’s got/getting new lighting installed as well. ISU Football also has some great uniforms too, you’d be surprised at what might make a recruit commit.
Roos Field has an ugly, high school-looking grandstand on the east side & it’s been there for at least 18 to 20 years and it’s embarrassing!! Eastern’s 2004 Woodward Field renovation & expansion was supposed to correct that. Didn’t happen. Eastern’s 2012 Gateway Project was supposed to correct it as well! Next thing you know there’s a $30 million dollar upgrade to a student union building. EWU doesn’t want to spend the money to correct/expand the stadium. You never know, one day Roos Field might get that Eastside done. And maybe Holt Arena might get those ugly chairs ripped out and replaced with bench seating and new premium seats between the 40’s.

Spudhead said:
.... I agree, though. Sometimes a little change can actually have a big effect in terms of perception.

Great idea & minimal cost. :thumb:

Bring in some bleachers for our NFL practice field outside Holt Arena and play there. That could change our luck to winning at home. Rain, wind, or snow we play outside like other schools.

It would cost around $5 or $6 per seat to paint, as you have to tape off all the concrete around the seats and use a high end primer and paint that is gonna hold up. You might get away with not sanding each seat, which would add to the cost. Anyone here want to volunteer to sand 11,000 seats? What is the correct count on seats, Skippy or PBP?

Don't forget, the dome was built in the 70's and the colors reflect that. No excuse for not updating them, but that's why the colors are like that.

card00313_fr.jpg

I think all plastic can be painted, but it does take work like sanding and all that. If the paint bleeds, we could at least experiment on the visitor's section first. ;)

Black Falkin, otis campell isn't even an ISU fan. He is a self proclaimed Montana grad and fan who has a weird obsession with ISU. He claims he lived in Pocatello for a while, but while there are other schools both at the FCS AND FBS levels who have far less activive message boards, he is basing decisions about ISU athletics on that. That's the kind of decision making which is probably causing the University of Montana to bleed students (worse than ISU and other rural universities), while Montana State is bursting at the seams. Funny, there's a closed Facebook ISU fan site which has about 5,000 to 6,000 members, and there's not a lot of posting on there either (but lots of people see it). VOTB posted about the tragic loss of Jim Potter's dad there and here, and there were over 20 comments there (including from Jim himself). Lots and lots of people marked their icons to signify sadness too. I've always thought of this board as more of a breaking news type of place and as a less formal place to give two cents. But yeah, keep obsessin' otis!

'When in Rome, do as the Romans do.' Yes, I did live there a long time, and became a fan over time. No "weird obsession." I do have degrees from UM, and have been a Griz fan since birth.

I don't frequent social media sites, just BD and eGriz, for what news I may pick up. I have posted what I have found or observed then presented any conclusions with explanations, as needed. If there is disagreement by other posters, I am able to change my mind, based on the content of their posts. I have played devils advocate, stirred the pot, just to get a rise and provoke some discussion about some issues.

Posts on Bengal Den are generally an exchange if ideas or points of view. Personal slights or attacks are rare, but when the pot is stirred, bottom feeders rise, and an occasional asshole like you does come along. I'm prepared to give as good as I get, and then some. Your disjointed post leads me to believe you have never attended ISU, or any other institution of higher education. If you have any post high school education, you learned nothing. YOU keep on obsessin', S***head.

Spudhead said "Black Falkin, otis campell isn't even an ISU fan. He is a self proclaimed Montana grad and fan who has a weird obsession with ISU". Spudhead june 1, 2018

Otis said "Your disjointed post leads me to believe you have never attended ISU, or any other institution of higher education. If you have any post high school education, you learned nothing. YOU keep on obsessin', S***head". - Otis June 1, 2018

Is Otis and Spudhead making knucklehead comments to each other? You decide.

If you believe it is a knucklehead comment than I suggest Otis and Spudhead to take their personal attacks against each other to the topic "Let's talk on Knuckleheads"??? All they have to say is I will see you on Let's talk on Knuckleheads".

Bwo0VKCCUAAZatF.jpg

ETSU Mini Dome looks a lot like Holt Arena. This facility housed the ETSU football program from 1977 until 2003 after their football program was canceled!! Alot of ETSU football fans said it would never happen but......

images

etsu_29645198_ver1.0_640_360.png

ETSU%20Majorettes-31-Edit-S.jpg

Regarding updating and improvements of Holt, is there an opportunity for naming rights? Albertsons has BSU's football stadium naming rights for a period of time. Frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up. But, there is a chunk of money that they pay to BSU each year. Just a block or two away from Albertsons Stadium, they've decided to renovate the better part of a city block to create a new, innovative Albertsons store with a sit down restaurant (if I understand it correctly). They want to be part of the gameday experience. Albertsons has bought into the BSU football for the long term. BSU has Lyle Smith Field inside Albertsons Stadium. My point is maybe there is a naming opportunity. Why not hit up Melaleuca, Portneuf, Bingham Memorial or say one of the national contractors out at the site for the stadium or the field name? Just throwing numbers... $15 million for say, 10 years of naming rights. If my Idaho Falls math is still relevant, that's $1.5 million each year for 10 years. Why not do the same with Reed Gym? It's similar to Idaho Central's commitment to the Vandals and their dream basketball venue. If a windfall like this can jump start facility updates, why not pursue this?

I live in Meridian and haven't been to an ISU football game since the 80's. But, I've been a season ticket holder for BSU football and basketball since the 80's. I've seen how their funding has evolved long term.
Not saying that it's a fit for ISU, but each BSU game has a sponsor or two. They pay to bring their give away stuff to those in attendance and have their company noted over the PA system a number of times throughout the game. The reader boards run ads throughout the game. Their name could be printed on each game ticket and program. The radio team could help with that by mentioning the game sponsor throughout their broadcast. The newspaper ads show the list game sponsors throughout the season. Again, I haven't been to an ISU football game for a long time, but I was in Reed Gym a number of times when my niece played at ISU back about 10 years ago. I don't remember anything like this at the WBB games. Maybe this is happening now. Just a thought.

I'd like to see the owner of Melaleuca give a few million or so for a new press box at Holt. But really, I think he has a much greater affinity towards BYU rather than towards ISU.

spazdog1 said:
Regarding updating and improvements of Holt, is there an opportunity for naming rights? Albertsons has BSU's football stadium naming rights for a period of time. Frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up. But, there is a chunk of money that they pay to BSU each year. Just a block or two away from Albertsons Stadium, they've decided to renovate the better part of a city block to create a new, innovative Albertsons store with a sit down restaurant (if I understand it correctly). They want to be part of the gameday experience. Albertsons has bought into the BSU football for the long term. BSU has Lyle Smith Field inside Albertsons Stadium. My point is maybe there is a naming opportunity. Why not hit up Melaleuca, Portneuf, Bingham Memorial or say one of the national contractors out at the site for the stadium or the field name? Just throwing numbers... $15 million for say, 10 years of naming rights. If my Idaho Falls math is still relevant, that's $1.5 million each year for 10 years. Why not do the same with Reed Gym? It's similar to Idaho Central's commitment to the Vandals and their dream basketball venue. If a windfall like this can jump start facility updates, why not pursue this?

I live in Meridian and haven't been to an ISU football game since the 80's. But, I've been a season ticket holder for BSU football and basketball since the 80's. I've seen how their funding has evolved long term.
Not saying that it's a fit for ISU, but each BSU game has a sponsor or two. They pay to bring their give away stuff to those in attendance and have their company noted over the PA system a number of times throughout the game. The reader boards run ads throughout the game. Their name could be printed on each game ticket and program. The radio team could help with that by mentioning the game sponsor throughout their broadcast. The newspaper ads show the list game sponsors throughout the season. Again, I haven't been to an ISU football game for a long time, but I was in Reed Gym a number of times when my niece played at ISU back about 10 years ago. I don't remember anything like this at the WBB games. Maybe this is happening now. Just a thought.

Just wondering, who was your niece?

PBP

To my knowledge, Frank Vandersloot and Melaleuca have no interest at all in ISU. I've tried to acquire some financial support for a major KISU FM event and could barely get a meeting.

votb said:
To my knowledge, Frank Vandersloot and Melaleuca have no interest at all in ISU. I've tried to acquire some financial support for a major KISU FM event and could barely get a meeting.

Every one of his kids went to BYU - except one. Cassie attended ISU, but I remember in an interview with the local paper, she described herself as the family rebel.

Would be nice if he'd throw a cool million this way instead of toward all the political candidates he's famous for doing.

spazdog1 said:

EXACTLY! You are right on the money. Getting funding is a full time job & should be pursued by the University constantly!! Michael Roos didn’t just walk up to EWU and say, “Here’s $500k of my family’s hard earned money for Red turf.” No! It had to be pursued & persuaded with naming rights: Roos Field. EWU could now pursue “stadium naming rights” like BSU did. ISU has a product that can be sold in ALOT of different ways.

Latest posts

Back