• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

changes

Well, outta state... I would have to say the 02 and 03 teams winning 8 games both years and a conf title would count as being good. What would you say?

"By the way did you play football?"

Hell yes, I've still got the 8th grade championship trophy on the mantle!! I make sure that baby is all polished up! ;) oh by the way are you on the isu staff? See I can ask irrelevant questions too! :lol:

I had this in the notes a few weeks ago but Idaho State has allowed over 300 points in something like 22 of the last 24 seasons....it's not this staff, or Lewis's staff...it's more of a culture. Staffs come in and tend to see the turf and go for the offense (this year not withstanding, but that honestly was more of a fluke then anything). With the money available, it's pick your poison, and usually with a dome, you put the money on trying to outscore everyone.

Brad has talked about philosophy and whatnot, but really, the prevailing philosophy around here for the last 24 years or so is summed up nicely like this ... "outscore them" ... and that's exactly what we did in our two wins the last two seasons....36-33 and 41-34. We outscored them.

I think this coaching staff is working on changing that philosophy to trying to hang their hats on defense, and considering we had something like 26 takeaways this year (over two a game), the points not withstanding, I think that culture of defense and making plays is really starting to take hold. You are going to give up points in this conference, but can your defense make enough plays to help you win? That last game...yes...six takeaways.

I just don't think you can pin it on one guy or one coach or one staff and say they are the problem. The defense has been an issue for 24 years, but this year's defense gives me hope due to the guys that contributed, and the big plays they were capable of, and did produce.

Anyway, historical background...continue discussing....

ISUSID

If that's the case, when are we going to start playing defense Frank. Last in almost every catagory on defense this year, the same last year. Changing the mindset of outscoring teams should have started three years ago, you saying it now just sounds like more justifications and excuses.

Three of the top salaries on the defensive side of the ball. Youngest coach on staff, the O-line coach making about 1700.00 a month, coaching five positions, and running the video group by himself, and he is made the scapegoat for bad decisions made by head coach. OC does not make as much as DL coach, either one of them. Why bring in a high paid DL coach when DC is a DLine coach and cannot coach any other positon on the defense? To be blunt, Zamberlin does not have the nuts to fire or demote a friend and the team suffers for it. The money that should have gone to a Offensive Coordinator/OL coach went to Cullen. The D-line played better dispite being no better personnel wise, sounds like prior coach was not getting job done. Instead of making a move that would make a difference Zamberlin holds pact with a DC that has made our defense worst than Lorig every did, and I thought it couldn't get worst than Lorig.

I think that almost everyone agrees that the JOL and OC positions needed to be changed.

However, lost in the shuffle would be two coaches in Jensen and Havens that may have been wonderful young assistant coaches that may have been too young and inexperienced to handle the duties assigned. That does not make them bad coaches at all, it may have been a case of putting them both into "no-win" situations. In the end, scapegoats seems awfully accurate to me.

I will always maintain that making Idaho State a great defense team is a tough proposition. However, Idaho State historically is a program that puts points on the board and rolls up yardage. I am not making an excuse for the defense at all, but the fact that ISU has regressed so much offensively is very disturbing.

Mortgaging the offense for a defense that did not improve much if any in 2009 is a travesty.

It makes me laugh when people talk about how bad the situation is at ISU. I laugh more when people talk about how destitute the program was when Zamberlin arrived. Everyone understands it takes time to build a program, but this program has gotten progressively worse the last three years.

Guess what gang--next year is year four and the year after that is year five. I got an idea, win the 1st game of the year next season and wait to win again until the last game of the season and call it progress.

So, if I were the head coach would I do much better? The answer to that question--nope. The funny thing is, my fat ass would have only lost two more games.

I don't blame the kids and I don't blame the talent. I blame the leadership in ISU football for screwing up the foundation of its own program in 2007 and 2008. I blame the lack of depth in the program on the staff that cannot retain the kids that it spent an ass load of cash on to get to ISU in the first place. You can have as much money or as little money in the world to spend on recruiting, but you better have the bodies of 20-30 recruited upperclassman available in year four and year five to show for it.

Asking a 2009 and 2010 recruiting class to pay BIG DIVIDENDS in 2010 and 2011 is not fair and not realistic. If you are counting on FR to win games, the program has a big problem.

As far as changes go I've heard Zamberlin contacted Mike Dunbar (previous OC at U of Minn) on some advice on running the spread offense. My question is we have an opening at the OC position and I don't think Mike Dunbar is coaching so why not just bring him in to be the OC. As far as the defensive side of the bill we clearly have a very experienced DC in Joe Cullen. Coach Strandley in his years at ISU has been average at best. Cullen is by far the better choice to be the DC, so why not demote Strandley to the D-line coach and give Cullen the DC job. Both of these hires would give me a ton of confidence for next year by hiring these two gentlemen.

Latest posts

Back