• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU vs CWU thread

How many slants did they complete? Seemed like a million. Same thing with the draws. You would think we would try to do something differently defensively at some point today. they must have run the same play 20 times and gained 6-8 yards a pop. Where were the game adjustments? What happened to our coaches? The players need to execute, but running the same tired old schemes all game long makes it hard to be in a good position to challenge your opponent. can these guys please make adjustments? It was the same thing against weber, we go out have a little success, they adjust and shut us down, we don't adjust and we bang our heads into the wall. The difference tonight was that we didn't have the success. Central spotted us that 14 by their to's.
With 9 min left we line up with 2 tight ends and 2 rbs and try to run the ball? No hurry up? No trying to push the tempo to make up a 3 score deficit with time rolling lazily by? Hell we burned redshirts left and right, why not give mozzochi a chance? Russ is still hurting, kyle looks like a deer in the headlights... Why not? What's the worst that could have happened, we turn the ball over one more time for a grand total of 12!!!
The score ended up so much closer than the game really was. They blew us out! They dominated the game! What the hell! We can't use the excuse that they just have more talent than us. Or maybe we can... But the vast majority of our players are Z's and we looked outmatched to a D2 team. I know that we have much better talent than them! The players didn't execute how they should have, but by far our coaches were bad. REALLY BAD! Defense, offense, special teams... Take your pick, it was all bad today.

Coach Z needs to pack his bags. His system doesn't work, his players know it, and the opponents laugh at it. His team lost faith in him last year. Its been one pitiful performance after another with no excuses. He needs to go or more losses to lesser teams is in our future. His job is a paid position. He is not earning his money. Like any employee, you don't do your job, you get fired. I feel bad for the athletes having to put up with coaching like this. FIRE ZAMBERLIN !!!

Zamberlin sounded the worst (down and out) that I've ever heard him on the post game show.
The game was essentially a display of ineptitude. Torture.
Zamberlin and his coaches didn't fumble and throw the interceptions or miss assignments. But, somewhere in the scheme, something is missing - whether it be week to week preparation or an accumulation of factors over the past couple of years. Unbelievable how poor the play is.
At least when Matt Gutierrez was here as a senior, there were games where we were on final drives of the 4th quarter with opportunities to win or tie. We may have come up short but we were in the games.
Seeing one game like that with this team would be a real boost.
On one positive note, the athletes pole vaulting at the Bengal Fest added a different and very interesting pre-game entertainment in some perfect weather.
Anyway, see you at the Holt next week. Go Bengals! Upset EWU!

The things that I have the most problems with are the excuses. The cupboard was not full, but it was not bare when Coach Z was hired. All I am hearing is the BS excuse of how this staff has been forced to come in and pick up the pieces from the prior regime--which brought the most successful teams to Pocatello since the early 80's.

He has lost half of his recruits in his first two recruiting classes. They only have 4 or 5 kids that were recruited in the first two seasons that will contribute to the program as upperclassman. They will have less than 10 recruited players that will be a part of the program over the next two seasons that were part of the 2007 and 2008 recruiting classes. I no that I am being redundant, but really, think about it.

Guys like Storms and Pleasant are kids that any team in the BSC would like to have and I believe that a fair amount of the kids that ISU got in the 2009 class will be legitimate, but most are 2 to 3 years away. My point is this where is the leadership and talent in any quantity going to come from in the next two years? Redundant again, I know.

The offensive line is horrible, the took 3 JC lineman that were supposed to come in and solidify the line. One was ineligible and the other two were late getting into camp.

So okay, what do you do give it 2-3 more years? Allow five to six years to pass with almost no talent in his recruited classes. These are Zamberlin's recruits now for the most part, not those of Larry Lewis. Unless the corner is turned quickly this year (and it won't be) Zamberlin will have the worst three year record in my 30+years of memory of being an ISU fan.

Today, I saw an offense get dominated by a defensive coordinator (Joe Lorig) that most ISU fans thought was horrible when he was here at Idaho State.

The offense is a shadow of what it has been over the past 10 seasons. All they have at this point are poorly thrown deep balls and a 6-5 WR that bails the QB out. Why is the pocket not getting rolled for Blum and where is the short and intermediate passing game?

Is a revolving door good for the program, hell no and I am not saying that. However, all we are hearing is how Zamberlin is building the program on a solid foundation with good kids, good students and kids that the community can be proud of. I want to know why the future is so bright and I want to know where the BSC-level talent in quantity is going to come from in the next two years. Redundant again.

I am rambling and making no F-ing sense--that is how pissed and discouraged that I am as a fan. Is anyone else feeling real bitter right now.

I am seriously as a fan, closer than I have ever been to jumping off the 3rd platform at Lava Hot Springs and saying to hell with it.

I am one bent hombre.

You should be mad, Cub. I ask again. Unless ISU makes a financial commitment to athletics, what good will one more football coach do this program? What good did it do to fire Howard Gauthier as athletic director? There are major problems in athletic funding and infrastructure that new coaches and administrators will not fix. That is just a revolving door that our past president used to keep the program off balance. Who in their right mind would want a coaching job where your budget is cut every year you are there? Who wants a job where your facilities are deteriorating? Who would ever want to coach at a grave yard?

Wow. Just...wow. I've seen some demoralizing games, I've endured and weathered some bad seasons. I have endured 2-9, 3-8, even 1-11 (and almost cried when we won that one last year). I've been jeered, mocked, laughed at and ridiculed for my undying faith to ISU Football. I've tolerated it all (and adding to my stress levels is the Buckeye Fan factor, which in the past 3 years has been very difficult as well). I have had many bad days where none of my teams can get anything done and I still stand by like a mountain.

But today was just damn horrible. Seriously. There is no excuse.

We not only need changes in our offensive philosophy, our tactics and a whole new outlook on training, we need a complete reformation.

We need an identity and a vision. We haven't had any for years.

Tater, the same could be said for the University of Idaho, Utah State and Southern Utah. They have all struggled for years. The Ags are turning the corner under Anderson. Idaho has three wins already and Southern Utah has hope. Two of these programs are under first year coaches and the Vandals are seeing the fruits of their labor under Akey. These three teams are getting better and showing progress--Idaho State is going backwards.

Mick McCall the offensive coordinator at Northwestern wanted to be in Pocatello, I believe. Someone tell me if I am wrong, someone wanted to be in Moscow and someone saw the vision in Logan. Someone will always jump at the chance of being a Coach in D-1 even with the difficulties that go with it.

Sure the university needs more money, sure they need the facilities and all that and I do get it.

However it is hard for me to see a foundation of success being built right now. Larry Lewis brought ISU some of the best football that Pocatello has seen in years in spite of these challenges.

BTW, the same thing was said about Joe O'Brien--that a solid program could not be built with a JC coach and horrible facilities. Three top four finishes later, expectations are higher and the challenges that riddle the program are less prominent.

If ISU cannot do it and cannot compete drop the program to D-2 or drop the football program all together.

I can seriously say this--I am fed up and one foot is out the door.

Patience people! Look at what Robb Akey has done up in Moscow: 2007 1-11, 2008 2-10, This year 3-1 and the Vandals will most likely end up in a bowl game. Don't take my word for it, ask Jon Newlee about how different things are up there. ISU could have similar results if people would quit criticizing those who are trying to help and start supporting the University.

A quick note before I go off on a rant, if we drop to D-2 every sport has to drop to D-2. I already talked to Frank about this awhile ago.

We are facing a grave crisis. ISU needed this game badly, to restore some sort of dignity after a brutal 0-3 start. Now we are 0-4, with a horrible loss to a D-2 team, at home, in front of not only the truly faithful fans but also in front of a student section that actually dressed like football fans.

This can only mean that it will take a Herculean effort to revive any hopes of becoming a solid program. It will require a few years, a complete reformation of the football team and athletic department, and there will not be a big margin for error.

From this point on, ISU must play like we're in a death-match. Certainly we'll be fighting for our survival as a program.

And in that fight, though it will be painful, thankless and downright depressing at times, I pledge my sword and flag.

To Arms, Reformation and the Restoration of Our Pride!

I think we need to need to take some scholarships away. If you can't produce then save the money and find somebody who can. I can't see blaming anyone but the players......

Webcaster said:
I think we need to need to take some scholarships away. If you can't produce then save the money and find somebody who can. I can't see blaming anyone but the players......

Start with this one. If these are the players ISU is going to recruit and represent ISU...

From the ISJ article:

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2009/09/27/sports/local/1.txt

Right tackle Brad Shedd heaped some of the blame on him and his fellow offensive linemen too.
"Some plays, I'll admit to it, sometimes we take plays off, and that's when you're going to get somebody hurt," Shedd said. "You get yourself hurt, and it's not going to get you good rushing yards. You've got to attack, attack, attack and not let up. That was what was killing us a lot."

I received a FREE game ticket and @ the 2Q, I started to question why bother going if this is the type of play this team is going to show week-in and week-out. Aside from a few stellar performances from individuals (KK, PA, AJS), this was a top-5 D-II team beat down of a D-II roster masked as a BSC team. Player for player, it was apples-to-apples, when comparing the physical sizes of both teams. Talent wise, CWU had way better personnel than ISU.

The thing I (and other fans look for) is improvement from week to week. After these last two games, this team has taken more steps backwards (some units bigger than others - OL needs to be imploded) than forward.

As I heard after the game, people will come back to ISU for homecoming. The question remains, how will you get the fans into Holt Arena after this debacle? Zamberlin's got his own issues to worry about. I'm curious to see how athletics marketing is going to spin this week.

Props to former ISU Def. Coordinator Joe Lorig. His players played hard for him and for former ISU coach Stacy Collins. His game plan for CWU DEF was stellar. ISU's OL had zero idea where the pressure was coming from. CWU forces 6 TO, scores a DEF TD, records 5 sacks and numerous TFL, scores a SAFETY, blocks a punt, holds ISU to negative yards rushing, holds ISU to 0-for-11 on 3rd down. I would've racked up MASSIVE fantasy football points had I played CWU DEF this week!!!!!

Right tackle Brad Shedd heaped some of the blame on him and his fellow offensive linemen too.
"Some plays, I'll admit to it, sometimes we take plays off, and that's when you're going to get somebody hurt," Shedd said. "You get yourself hurt, and it's not going to get you good rushing yards. You've got to attack, attack, attack and not let up. That was what was killing us a lot."

I rest my case.......... can a coach change an attitude like that HELL NO, I sit next to the team bench and hear the coaches talk and yell at the players and it seems they don't listen or they just don't have the abilities. If I didn't do the webcasting I'd be up in the hills with my new wife.

weve been working every day we do our punts every day we work on it

its soething taht we still have an issue with obviosuly i believe today it was a botched snap along with the pressure

you gotta fo your job which we dint do today well go back to the drawing baod to ese what we can get going.

last week, winging bailign to ofast lettig a kid across his face

pressure on b gap

it was a low snap but we still got to protect and get the ball away we will get that corrected. iwell go back and work wit punts and ill go back and wrk wit punts but well get that corrected

Wow! spell check must not work. Nice work Journal.

ISU wanted to hire Gary Anderson but was unwilling to pay him the salary he requested. Idaho has been using the money they received from the BCS bowls to improve facilities and recruiting. Mick McCall was not very impressive in his interview. My point is, we have made the same argument forever that a new coach will fix everything. How many have been successful since 1983? When Larry Lewis was hired he demanded a $50,000.00 increase in his recruiting budget and it paid off. Thereafter we didn't keep up with inflation. Travel and other costs rose and his budget did not. We have done nothing but cut the football budget since Z was hired. We had little choice. I'm asking this question. What do you offer a new coach that will help him become successful. Do we offer him more money for better assistants? do we offer an outdoor practice facility? Do we increase the recruiting budget? Z's record at Central was not great in his first few years but he built a winner. Maybe we stick with this guy and see what he can do now that some facilities improvements have been made and are coming in the next few months. Maybe not? I'm just saying

pocatato said:
ISU wanted to hire Gary Anderson but was unwilling to pay him the salary he requested. Idaho has been using the money they received from the BCS bowls to improve facilities and recruiting. Mick McCall was not very impressive in his interview. My point is, we have made the same argument forever that a new coach will fix everything. How many have been successful since 1983? When Larry Lewis was hired he demanded a $50,000.00 increase in his recruiting budget and it paid off. Thereafter we didn't keep up with inflation. Travel and other costs rose and his budget did not. We have done nothing but cut the football budget since Z was hired. We had little choice. I'm asking this question. What do you offer a new coach that will help him become successful. Do we offer him more money for better assistants? do we offer an outdoor practice facility? Do we increase the recruiting budget? Z's record at Central was not great in his first few years but he built a winner. Maybe we stick with this guy and see what he can do now that some facilities improvements have been made and are coming in the next few months. Maybe not? I'm just saying

Good points tader but I think any budget should do better than......

ISU's first 19 plays

3 plays - Fumble
3 plays - punt
2 plays - fumble
1-play - saftey
3 plays - fumble
1 play - fumble
3 plays - interception
3 plays - punt

bhumble said:
Good points tader but I think any budget should do better than......

ISU's first 19 plays

3 plays - Fumble
3 plays - punt
2 plays - fumble
1-play - saftey
3 plays - fumble
1 play - fumble
3 plays - interception
3 plays - punt

Wow! That is absolutely amazing. I'm not sure Oklahoma could do any better.

Tater--the single biggest thing that worries me about this football program is the attrition in the FR classes. Once again, the Bengals lost 50% of the FR commits from the 2007 and 2008 classes. You cannot build a solid foundation retaining an average of 4.5 of the FR (where the foundation is built) recruits year to year. I have never and I mean never seen so much turnover in a program than what I am have seen the past two seasons. I have been squawking and bitching about it for quite some time.

So, keep Zamberlin if he indeed is building a solid foundation and building for a successful future. The general thought is that it takes at least 4-5 years to build a program into a winner. If nine kids are the foundation, how does the house get built?

Also, when John Clayton can't calm me down and bring me back to reality---things are bleak. Where the hell is Roar when I need him? I need a rah rah.

Like Cub, I'm also worried about the classes coming up. Of the first two classes, we have 21 players still on the team, nine are contributors. We have 9 Lewis players, all who are or could contribute. (Some are injured) It has been four years since Lewis signed his last class and we still have 9 playing. At the rate Zam's classes are going we will be lucky to have 10 total in two more years. Another issue; we have ten former walkons listed in our two deeps, eleven if you count Vanderwielen. I'm all for giving scholorships to walkons if they deserve it, but this really reflects on our coaching staffs ability to judge talent. Let's face it, Arias is starting ahead of three full rides. Our coaching staff blew it somewhere. I've stated it before, our first two classes were terrible. While we have some diamonds in the group, overall they were less than average. Do your fire the head coach? I don't think you do, make changes in the staff, yes. I agree with Tater, you cannot keep change head coaches every year or two. The only real difference offensively this year from last is the O-line coach and O-coordinator. This offense reminds me of the Garth Hall offenses of the past. Where he took a QB who threw for 2600 yards his freshman year and made him into a 1500 yard a year guy. It's easy to blame the line coach, but let's face it, the coordination has been terrible. Additionally, our defense really has not played as bad as two years, the change, Cullen at D-line coach. Reality, Strandly is only D-Coordinator in name, Cullen is D-Coordinator on the field and the defense has shown it. If Zam wants to stay he is going to have to make some changes, changes that may effect his friends in the coaching staff, but this is why he get's the big buck.

I would agree the defense has made major strides this year. They are on the field a full quarter more than ISU's first four opponents. Plus, the offense and special teams have given the opponents 15-20 points a game. The defense has given all it has to cover for an offense that has sucked rocks.

Another note--I won't watch another game until R. Hill is back at QB. I am sick of video game football and the 14% third down conversion trend that goes with it.

I am not saying that Zamberlin must get the heave-ho. What I am saying is that I am tired of hearing the excuses regarding the history of the program. The Rome wasn't built in a day BS...it' lame. There is no foundation built. The closest thing to a solid foundation is the 2009 recruiting class and they will not be upperclassman for at least three more years as a group.

Latest posts

Back