• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU vs WSU

ajwildcat

I know this is along ways down the road, but this game is the next and only shot for another win for either of these teams this year. :roll: Im sure there will be less than 2000 people at this craptacular slug fest. It may also be a battle between 2 lame duck coaches. Hopefully these 2 teams can continue to "run the table" so to speak in conference so that this season ending game has something on the line. LAST PLACE!! This may jus be the WORST matchup in a long time in this conference.

Personally I think that Kramer's job is safe for the next few years, regardless of how we do the rest of the season. It's usually best to give a coach at any level about five or six years to try to turn a program around, and this is his third year, and there's already been some improvement. Remember, it took Bill McCartney at Colorado six years to start turning around their program, and they eventually won the national championship under his coaching expertise. As bad as we were when Zamberlin was fired, it's just going to take a little time to turn things around, and we can expect just a little improvement every year since Kramer took over. Patience is the key here. And also, Kramer really doesn't bring in a whole lot of JC players -- just a few here and there if they make the effort to contact him first. A lot of it has to do with our higher academic standards that Tingey has implemented for all sports, because quite often a player goes the JC or community college route to begin with because they can't cut it academically at a 4-year school. Also, our offensive linemen that we recruit really take some time to develop to become great players, and most of the linemen we have here are still young. And right now they're doing an adequate job at pass blocking but our run blocking could still stand a great deal of improvement. I don't know if we'll win down in Ogden at the end of November. Even as bad as Weber is the Wildcats still probably have the edge here.

Boise:

That's a good point that often isn't mentioned. Because of the football academic issues, ISU now has a higher requirement to enroll in the school for all sports.

It's higher then the minimum standards set by the Big Sky Conference and higher I think then what the NCAA sets.

I know that there have been players that would have loved to come to ISU and would have been good contributors. Not saying the administration is wrong for raising the standards, just that this is the 'new-norm' at ISU and coaches have to work with it while other coaches at other school don't have the same sets of issues here.

PBP...are you blind...WHERE DO YOU SEE IMPROVEMENT...and I think you few bungal fans that have bought into Kramer's "PLAN" have short term memory loss...Tingey announced that he was giving Zamberlin the one year extension because the players were doing so good in the classroom and community...I know of quite a few players that quit during Kramer's years that have quit school so what do you think that does to the APR ...IT IS CALLED LIP SERVICE FOLKS

billcody said:
PBP...are you blind...WHERE DO YOU SEE IMPROVEMENT...and I think you few bungal fans that have bought into Kramer's "PLAN" have short term memory loss...Tingey announced that he was giving Zamberlin the one year extension because the players were doing so good in the classroom and community...I know of quite a few players that quit during Kramer's years that have quit school so what do you think that does to the APR ...IT IS CALLED LIP SERVICE FOLKS

I dont know about the players you are talking about but ISU posted a perfect 1000 APR this year so that cant be true. ISU has one of the best academic performing football teams according to the BSC not lip service. I get just as mad as anyone about the on field performance of the team but the off field performance is great. Kramer needs to be given another 2 years after that then we will talk.

Perfect APR...I can't quite figure that one out either...players quit and some quit in December without a degree....hhhmmmm

Bill Cody:

You must be confusing me with someone else, I was referring to Boise's point about the higher academic standards. And Bengal is right, ISU was one of only four football schools (I think) that graded out a perfect 1.000 score academically.

If you think the school is playing 'lip service' to academics, you don't know Jeff Tingey very well and you obviously haven't spoken with coaches in other sports who have not been allowed to admit players because their grades didn't meet ISU's new standards.

Lip

John Zamberlin got that extension as a handshake agreement with Dr. Vailas for agreeing to play Oklahoma. The plan was to announce the extension after a win...that's why the announcement took so long. It had zero to do with academics or community or anything. Jeff had no say in the extension, other than to have to announce it as his own, but that's the deal on that.

Kramer's job is perfectly safe...he is not even close to being a lame duck coach, and it's silly to think otherwise.

FormerISUSID

Yes, PBP...boise is the BLIND ONE....I really can't figure out how ISU conveniently got a PERFECT APR in football (only 4 schools) when so many players left the program...AND FRANK...another example of LIP SERVICE...During Tingey's press conference that is EXACTLY what he said, Zamberlain was given the extension because the players were doing so good in the classroom and community...so who is lieing here...I, personally, do not believe a word that comes out of Tingey or Kramer's mouths...Another thing, Frank...you are at another University and not part of the inner circle at ISU so I really don't think you know what may happen to Kramer. Not all fans have bought into the "KRAMER PLAN"...go to Chase Glorfield's blog at the Journal and read Maggie6's comments...he is very knowledgable concerning ISU football and the Big Sky...I am sure he would comment on the Den but Bengal Blub blocks anybody that isn't a Kramer or Tingey supporter.

billcody said:
Yes, PBP...boise is the BLIND ONE....AND FRANK...another example of LIP SERVICE...During Tingey's press conference that is EXACTLY what he said, Zamberlain was given the extension because the players were doing so good in the classroom and community...so who is lieing here...Another thing, Frank...you are at another University and not part of the inner circle at ISU so I really don't think you know what may happen to Kramer. Not all fans have bought into the "KRAMER PLAN"...go to Chase Glorfield's blog at the Journal and read Maggie6's comments...he is very knowledgable concerning ISU football and the Big Sky...I am sure he would comment on the Den but Bengal Blub blocks anybody that isn't a Kramer or Tingey supporter.

I have read Maggie6 post and well he is a tool. I don’t think he or you understand football as well as you think. Most of the comments that have been posted are incoherent social-political ramblings that have nothing to do with the athletic department or ISU football. Frank is a great guy and has the freedom to comment and support ISU and I welcome his input. I am sure frank still has knowledge of the inner workings at ISU so I would give weight to his statements. Kramer will not have to worry about his job for at least 2 years.

maggie6? :rofl:

Isn't he the one who predicted Northern Colorado was the team who would win the conference last year or the year before? He has another persona on the main paper's site, too. I'm guessing he has a few on here. maggie6? He predicted ISU would upset one of the power house teams (Georgia? Oklahoma? Nebraska?), but I don't remember which one.

You pretty much lose any credibility with that one. :rofl:

As far as Frank goes, I love Love LOVE his presence on here! I've been as critical of him and the inner workings of ISU at times, but I've appreciated all he has done.

Go Bengals!

Our record under Kramer does not support the theroy that we are better under him than we were under the previous staff. ISU needs to think seriously about dropping the football program.

billcody, you don't know what you're talking about. Of course there's some improvement. The record may not show it, but the defense is quite a bit better than last year's defense. Actually we've won two games thus far this year, while last year we only won one game and in 2010 we only won one game as well. In 2011 we won 2 games. There's still 7 games left, so we'll see what happens. billcody, if you know so much about athletics then maybe you should make your ideas known to Jeff Tingey, and we'll see how far you get. If you know more than Jeff then maybe you should have the AD's job. You're a clueless clown bill and you don't know what in the world you're talking about, and everyone here knows it. And yes, PBP is right in the fact that we did score a perfect 1000 APR score.

Guys, if a student leaves the program and transfers to another Division I institution with a 2.6 GPA, then you do not lose an APR point...meaning instead of going 1 for 2 on that kid (1 point for the academics, and 0 for retention), you go 1 for 1 on him.

This is why when in softball we lost Nora Maschue and Taylor Marchoinne, I tried to get them into Division I schools (Nora went JC I believe, and Taylor went DI) so instead of going 2 for 4, we went 2 for 3 on them. APR is a system that absolutely can be gamed a bit...trust me.

As for knowing the inner workings...do I have like meetings that I'm in? Uhhh, no. Am I friends with plenty of folks there? Uhhh, yeah.

I was at that press conference and I heard exactly what Jeff said. Jeff said exactly what he was told to say, but I was in the meeting about the Oklahoma thing, and I'm telling you, John said he would agree to play Oklahoma the week after the Arizona State game only if he was guaranteed another year on his contract, and Art Valias shook his hand and agreed to it. John did that because he knew what it would potentially do to his season (he was kinda right on that one).

John Zamberlin was not a good coach for Idaho State, but as a linebacker coach he was solid, and as a human, he was outstanding...he and his family are awesome. But he did not do the program any favors, and I was just the SID there, but I should have seen some of the signs...I missed them (despite Cub constantly telling me his concerns,which in the end were spot on).

I'm not going to call Maggie6 or whatever a tool...everyone has a right to their opinion, but a little common sense knowledge behind those opinions will help validate an argument. I mean that or like, being in the actual meeting. That works too.

FormerISUSID

sasquatch said:
maggie6? :rofl:
As far as Frank goes, I love Love LOVE his presence on here! I've been as critical of him and the inner workings of ISU at times, but I've appreciated all he has done.

Go Bengals!

Sasquatch, fans should always be able to voice opinions and concerns, as long as they aren't personal attacks and based in some sort of semblance of logic, hence why I might not always have agreed with your criticisms (of me or the program), but I did respect them!

FormerISUSID

FYI, ISU's road football woes can be traced to the decision to fly commercial out of Salt Lake City, instead of flying a charter out of Poky. They have not won a game on the road since that decision I believe, at least not one via the air. That was a financial decision dating to Paul's time when he was trying to fix the overspending in certain areas, and Jeff pretty much has to continue that in order to keep the budget balanced.

FormerISUSID

EDIT: Apparently they are charting this season...

I would like to see Kramer get an extension right now. Casual fans do not realize what happens with APR. In essence he has lost close to two recruiting classes.

With that said I am very concerned about the way the team is playing. The offense is not living up to its billing and everyone and their dog knows how to stop ISU. Arias cannot throw deep accurately, he is not setting his feet because the OLINE cannot protect him more than three seconds. The WR's cannot block worth a damn after the catch and the short yardage situations still suck rocks. ISU is not scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

Defensively, they cannot cover. It makes me sick to see DB's celebrating like they won the national title after the opponent drops a big play. They cannot tackle and you could clearly see on Big Sky TV at Davis that they were having problems with checks in the secondary. They are getting nothing out of the DLINE and they are not pressuring with the four LB's. Opponents offenses have all day and folks are running wide open all over the place.

This team comes out flat in the first half. They have done it three games this year already.

Yes, I am a Kramer man--but he needs to put these players in a position to win. The offensive and defensive systems seem to lack creativity.

However, he is down 15-20 recruits over two years so I am probably bitching unfairly.

It is tough to see this program get killed year after year. God bless UC Davis--but they are gonna have a horrible year and they looked way more prepared than the Bengals.

I just want to see progress. I don't really care about wins and losses. We all know if the team is getting better by the way they compete.

bengalcub said:
I would like to see Kramer get an extension right now. Casual fans do not realize what happens with APR. In essence he has lost close to two recruiting classes.

THIS!... and everything else Cub said. :notworthy:

It's finally Cat's vs Bengals week, I actually am looking forward to this game as I don't think there is a clear cut dominant team in this race. Its the end of a very long season for both programs with nothing but pride on the line. Any of you guys coming down to this? Hope to see a good ISU crowd down here in Ogden and am hoping to see a good game between 2 teams that I hope have not mailed it in yet.
Go Wildcats!!!

Latest posts

Back