• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Joe must go

coastal bengal

ISU can do better than Joe O'Brien. After 5 years of his program and a record 50 and 89, where is this program going? No where, but down. Scoring only 37 points in a game against Northern Colorado is just embarrassing. Tingey should get working on a national search committee to bring in a quality coach who can motivate ( not chew out) his players. Seems like the search committee thing works...just look at Seton Soboleski. Might also be time to get some Idaho kids in the program. I'm old enough to remember Steve Hayes and how practically the whole town of Aberdeen came out to watch him play. ISU basketball can do better than OB.

I agree with all of that. It's nice that we're pretty good at sports most people don't care that much about, like women's basketball and volleyball. But we really need to do what Weber does and put a lot more emphasis on sports that really matter that bring in the revenue and attendance figures, football and men's basketball. At the end of the year Tingey needs to get rid of another one of Bubb's bad hires and use his expertise and connections to bring in a winner!

Not to mention the cost savings on clipboards and other oft thrown office supplies and sundries belonging to the athletic department! :lol:

coastal bengal said:
ISU can do better than Joe O'Brien. After 5 years of his program and a record 50 and 89, where is this program going? No where, but down. Scoring only 37 points in a game against Northern Colorado is just embarrassing. Tingey should get working on a national search committee to bring in a quality coach who can motivate ( not chew out) his players. Seems like the search committee thing works...just look at Seton Soboleski. Might also be time to get some Idaho kids in the program. I'm old enough to remember Steve Hayes and how practically the whole town of Aberdeen came out to watch him play. ISU basketball can do better than OB.

I agree. It's tough to watch. He seems to want to scream at his players more than teach them... and especially at the college level, teaching is key. There's a place for intensity and yelling, but I get the feeling he is berating more than motivating (of course, I'm not on the team, so I could be wrong).

If I have anything to say. Im a firm believe that Joe Obrien is the only reason for the excitement again in the Men's Basketball Program. Regardless of his method used for coaching. His first 3 seasons were very successful. His overall record does not show that, but his conference record absolutely does. This season was a rebuilding year, he lost a ton. The core of guys that gave this program two top 4 finishes and two semifinal appearances. Who lost both years to the team that won it in the semifinal games. Last season was tough because there were high expectation. But the season was definitely plagued by injuries and kids quitting. From Felix quitting early on, to Busma getting injured and having to redshirt, from Broderick getting injured in last push of the season, and Amorrow having a serious ankle injury half way through the big sky season. Those are somethings you can't prevent and sometimes impossible to dig out of the whole when that's the problem.

Yes he screams but so does the majority of coaches in the country. From my experience and myself having plenty of friends that have played and still do play college basketball, he is know different. Coach Obrien is a tough man with a good heart. Players know the type of coach he is before they decide to come to ISU. It's only because he demands a lot and expects a lot from his players that's why he screams. That's his nature. He is a great coach. With great character. And has had more success at ISU as a basketball coach than anyone I can remember of ISU having in the past 15 years, since the the Jim Potter days. What he is not is a stubborn head coach who thinks that his way is the only way. He works on becoming a better coach everyday and so does every coach on his coaching staff.
I dont believe that Joe must go. Im a firm believer that Joe should stick around for a couple more seasons before that is be decided.

HE HAS HAD MORE SUCCESS THAN FAILURE AT ISU. And has done more good than bad for a program in many other ways.

Unfortunately it's all about wins and losses, regardless of how much the players may like the coach. And we can't expect to have losing seasons every year. A 5-13 record thus far this season and 50-90 overall record speaks for itself.

We are always going to have a losing non-conference record when we go on the road to play so many money games, to fund the Athletic Department. If the AD were doing a better job, that would not be the case. Conference is when you measure the team.

bnglfan said:
We are always going to have a losing non-conference record when we go on the road to play so many money games, to fund the Athletic Department. If the AD were doing a better job, that would not be the case. Conference is when you measure the team.
Yeah and Joe's teams havn't exactly been tearing it up in conference either. Even with a talented senior laden team last season Joe couldn't even guide his team to make the Big Sky tourney. How does a team not even get 6th place in the Big Sky with Ammorow Morgan? And making the Big Sky tourney isn't looking real good this year for Joe's team. Hate to say it, but he's gotta go. There is simply NO EXCUSE for ISU to be fighting Suckramento for last place in the Big Sky these last few years.

shaffer1 said:
His first 3 seasons were very successful. His overall record does not show that, but his conference record absolutely does.

Since when is 1 game over .500 "very successful?" The team finished .500 in conference his first two years, and 1 game over .500 his third, 9-7. He improved the conference record from Oliver's last season, but it didn't really improve after that first season.

shaffer1 said:
This season was a rebuilding year, he lost a ton.

Whose fault is that? Who stacked that class so ridiculously top heavy? If some players besides Felix hadn't quit, it would have been worse this season.

shaffer1 said:
Last season was tough because there were high expectation. But the season was definitely plagued by injuries and kids quitting.

This is where I have a huge problem. With all of that senior talent, this team failed miserably. That was the first year with players recruited entirely by Joe. Where was the depth? Who was the backup PG? Injuries happen. You have depth to insure against it. There may be a drop off, but there is still depth.

shaffer1 said:
Coach Obrien is a tough man with a good heart. Players know the type of coach he is before they decide to come to ISU. It's only because he demands a lot and expects a lot from his players that's why he screams. That's his nature. He is a great coach. With great character.

I think he knows JC ball very well. I don't doubt his character. I've seen some of the fine gentlemen he has brought into this community. I question his ability to run an NCAA Division I basketball program. How many redshirts have been burned? Where are Mason and Brunswick?

shaffer1 said:
HE HAS HAD MORE SUCCESS THAN FAILURE AT ISU

He is 50-90 overall, a 0.357 percentage, the worst since Claude Retherford in the mid 60's. The team is on a road losing streak of 21 games.

bnglfan said:
We are always going to have a losing non-conference record when we go on the road to play so many money games, to fund the Athletic Department. If the AD were doing a better job, that would not be the case.

Are you implying that Jeff Tingey could do a better job to improve Joe's win-loss record? Did Jeff insist that Joe add that Creighton game so he could take the team to Canada? Is it possible ISU could have had an extra home game if Joe didn't insist on that Creighton game? I think I hear an echo from the Zamberlin crew. But yes, I suppose Jeff Tingey could do a better job of creating a schedule.

bnglfan said:
Conference is when you measure the team.

Joe's conference record is 30-40, give or take. His teams have ranked last, or near the bottom, of every offensive category. The team is ranked near the bottom or last in conference for some major defensive categories.

http://bigskyconf.com/custompages/mbball/2010/stats/confstat.htm?path=mbball

JJB, I don't think anyone can argue with what you brought to the table.

Folks, this hoop program is not impressive one bit. We still have the old mentality of choking and not knowing "how to finish" and win a ball game.

I think the Bengals under Obrien will always play catch up and will always try to dig their way out and will come up short in the end.

It seems to me that the Obrien era gets worse each year? If we are in the mind set of change then lets get someone in there that can get the job done. Maybe the Admn. will think twice about giving extensions that are not warranted.

I think we might win 3 more games but when we can't win a road game and then we can't even protect our own court????

Yea he might be a great guy just like Zam but like someone said earlier....They are not being hired to be great guys (that should already exist) they are being hired to win ball games and to try to bring Championships to our University.

Joe does need to go in my opinion!

I would like to see an analysis of ISU's record the past five years against:
1. Major Schools (money games)
2. NAIA Schools
3. Mid-Major Schools (non-BSC)
4. Big Sky Conference games

I would do this if I could find links to past schedules and results.

Thanks Frank and here is my analysis. I put Utah State as a mid-major school as I did other WAC members. I put Bradley and Creighton as mid-majors.
I am taking no sides here and I include information for my analysis in case anybody else wants to make more analysis or to challenge my analysis. I include wins and losses through last Thursday's game.

Overall
Major Schools: 1 win, 27 losses, win percentage = 4%
Mid-Major: 9 wins, 20 losses, win percentage 31%
NAIA/DII: 8 wins, 0 losses, win percentage 100%
BSC: 30 wins, 40 losses, win percentage 43%
BSC tourney: 2 wins, 3 losses, win percentage 40%

2006-2007
Major Schools: 0 wins and 6 losses (Marquette, BYU, Wash St, Texas A&M, Oregon, Illinois)
Mid-Major: 4 wins (Maine, Idaho, Davis, UVSC), 2 losses (Utah St, BSU)
NAIA/DII: 1 win (Carroll), 0 losses
Big Sky: 8-8
Big Sky tourney: 0-1

2007-2008
Major Schools: 0 wins and 7 losses (Oregon State, Iowa, BYU, UCLA, WSU, Utah, Washington)
Mid-Major: 1 win (Idaho) and 3 losses (Long Beach, Portland, BSU).
NAIA/DII: 2 wins (MSU-Northern, Northwest Nazerene), 0 losses
BSC: 8-8
BSC Tourney: 1-1

2008-2009
Major Schools: 1 win (Utah),5 losses (BYU, WSU, Wisc, ASU, KSU)
Mid-Major: 1 win (Idaho), 6 losses (Hawaii, BSU, Long Beach, Green Bay, USU, NV)
NAIA/DII: 1 win (EO), 0 losses
BSC: 9-7
BSC Tourney: 1-1

2009-2010
Major Schools: 0 wins, 6 losses (IA St, BYU, ND, Utah, USC, Oregon)
Mid-Major: 1 win (UMKC), 4 losses (Bradley, BSU, Bakersfield, Utah State).
NAIA/DII: 2 wins (CC, Montana Tech), 0 losses
BSC: 4-12
BSC Tourney: NA

2010-2011
Major Schools: 0 wins, 3 losses (Colorado, AZ, IA)
Mid-Major: 2 wins (UMKC, Troy), 5 losses (SD, Bakersfield, Creighton, USU, WMU)
NAIA/DII: 2 wins (Great Falls, MT Tech), 0 losses
BSC: 1-5

I am an OB fan and I am not saying that OB should or should not go.

However, I have a few opinions. The extension of OB was the right things to do, the length of the extension might not have been the best thing. In his first three seasons, no other coach since Killingsworth had a BSC record as good as OB's.

With that said, I think that OB has a few major deficiencies that may cost him in the end.

A. No pipeline in Idaho
B. Lack of ability to find shooters--in the BSC you need to shoot the three and defend the three.
C. Too much focus on trying to use a tall front line (you don't need it in the BSC, you need shooters)
D. Burning RS on kids that get very few minutes
E. Poor track record of recruiting FR that can contribute at this level
F. Horrible scheduling

I firmly don't buy into the OB is a mean coach card. I just don't. I do know that the kids that I have had interactions with have indicated that they enjoy playing for him and that he is no better or no worse than what the average kid is use to. They know his temperament when they trip and before they commit.

I think OB's first three years were solid contributions and his last two seasons have sucked rocks.

If he doesn't start to win soon he will be replaced. No ifs, ands or buts.

Joe does need to go, he is worthless as a coach. In the end he is still getting paid a lot of money to coach a simple game that small children can understand. We owe him nothing, and he owes us everything.

Several things anger me about bengal athletics. One is our administrations inability to understand basic economics. Specifically supply and demand.
How can this admististartion continue to keep costs to events at the current price when the product is so bad.
I spend $47.00 to get into a ISU basketball game for two adults two children and parking for a two hour event. ISU athletics will never get the fringe fans to come to a game with those types of costs.The games are not even entertaing enough to justify the costs. Doug Oliver teams were atleaset fun to watch.
The promotions are good for us fans that alwasys go, but unless you get some grass roots established we will not see a steady attendence at games. Lower the price till you establish a good fan base. Kids should always get in for free.
I missed my first home basketball game in 10 years last week. I am not paying to watch another basketball game at ISU till JB is gone.
JB is a second class coach. JB has no buissness coaching at D1 level. He has zero feel for a game in real time it justmoves way to fast for him. JB is an overpaid JC coach at best.

Trust me on this but $47 for four tickets to a Division I basketball game is a steal, especially when your kids can get up close and personal with the players. Saying you aren't going to a game while Joe is there hurts the players and the program.

A movie is less entertaining for four (unless its Transformers or the Hangover) and a movie for four is about the same price, and concessions at ISU games are cheaper. Having traveled around this year with UNM and with ISU in years previous, ISU games are a bargain, and tomorrow is four tickets and snacks for $39 bucks. Why wouldn't you go? Hell you can DVR Mike and Molly and Two and a Half Men.

Support the players and team...they need a home court advantage, and only the fans can give them that.

FormerISUSID

bengalcub said:
With that said, I think that OB has a few major deficiencies that may cost him in the end.

A. No pipeline in Idaho
B. Lack of ability to find shooters--in the BSC you need to shoot the three and defend the three.
C. Too much focus on trying to use a tall front line (you don't need it in the BSC, you need shooters)
D. Burning RS on kids that get very few minutes
E. Poor track record of recruiting FR that can contribute at this level
F. Horrible scheduling

G. Horrible Road Team (3-40 road record since November 2008)
H. Attendance is dwindling (if you aren't going to play a fan friendly style of basketball, you better win)

A steal? You’re right on about that, strait from my pocket. And it’s sure not me that’s hurting the players or the program. As far as entertaining, I don’t see how watching a team score between 15 – 20 field goals a game is exciting. The games have no energy or excitement it’s like watching a tennis match. By the way, we have the highest priced GA tickets in the big sky.
PSU $7.00
WSU $8.00
NAU $12.00
SAC $10.00
EWS $12.00
MON ST $12.00
MON $7.00
NC $13.00
ISU $15.00

Just a note, ISU did offer three games for the price of one over the New Year's weekend (two men's and one women's), and they offered the two Montana games for the price of one. So they are making adjustments to try to accommodate the economy.

Latest posts

Back