• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Keep Coach Katz

grizz32

2015 Mid Major, District 6, Big Sky Coach of the Year
38 of 39 players have graduated
2009 California Junior College Hall of Fame
Only Post Season win in Division 1 History
Only Public California School Recognized by NCAA for having APR scores that rank in the top 10%
All of this being done by having less support than most High Schools have and playing in a gym that is not as good as some Junior High gyms.
But that is not the major point. The major point is the Man was lied to by Athletic Director and this needs to become public.In 2017 Coach Katz interviewed for the San Jose St. job that paid more than Sacramento St. He pulled out of consideration when he was promised a new 6 year deal by the Athletic Director and this never happened even though he was told many times it would happen. Now NO MATTER how you feel about him as a Coach being lied to is just wrong and him pulling out because of a promise made and never followed through on is even worse. The public needs to know the truth and to do the right thing and put pressure on the Administration to follow through on a promise.
On a personal note I have been a Coach for 31 year's at all level's and I can tell you 100% I have learned more from anyone I have ever come into contact with and never met someone who is more about integrity and telling the truth than Brian Katz.

Thank you 'grizz' for alerting us to this mess. Coaching your team and having this junk hanging over your head must be extremely difficult. I can only imagine. Keep up the great work Coach Katz, nice win today at Idaho! I'm guessing Joe Davidson might want to know about this. Maybe he already does?

grizz32 said:
Testing to see if you can reply being told by someone they are not able to reply to this.

Sorry for the delay on post approval. This board was hit hard by spam recently so new posters now have to have their first post approved by a moderator.

For all the newbies out there, welcome to the board.

EarleHornet said:
Remember this? http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/videos/KatzMadeatSacState

2:19 mark: "I never wanted to go to any other school, and I never wanted to coach any other school." Brian Katz, December 2015...

...except San Jose State, apparently...

A new AD comes in and San Jose is paying almost double the money . Of course you would interview you owe it to yourself and your family. But guess what because of a promise and love of Sac St. Coach Katz stays for less money. The problem occurs because the promise was never followed through? How can you make a promise to keep someone and then never follow through? That's the issue. If you didn't want him then why didn't you tell him then?

grizz32 said:
A new AD comes in and San Jose is paying almost double the money . Of course you would interview you owe it to yourself and your family. But guess what because of a promise and love of Sac St. Coach Katz stays for less money. The problem occurs because the promise was never followed through? How can you make a promise to keep someone and then never follow through? That's the issue. If you didn't want him then why didn't you tell him then?

You're trying to have it both ways here, sorry not going to fly. Katz was given a 5 year extension in 2015 through the 2020 season...but he interviews in the middle of the contract at SJSU of all places? But it's Nelsen/Orr who are the bad guys in all of this?

I don't have a problem with Katz looking for more money/better job, but don't try and spin it like he has no impact into this situation. And to be honest, he could have done a lot better than SJSU...at least I would think he could. Jumping from one bottom feeder program to another seems like a wasted effort aside from the big payday.

I have not said anyone is a bad guy. What I am saying is a PROMISE was made and now it is not being followed through. And the question is why? If you make a promise to do something especially on more than one occasion and involve other people in the promise then you need to follow through with it.

Fair point. Credit to Katz, he made this program respectable with the worst facilities in D1. While there is always some level of disappointment, bad losses, same lack of in game adjustments every year; this seasons results is pretty much where our ceiling is in the Nest. Near overall 500 season record and likely getting bounced from the BSCT in the 2nd round is my level of expectations for this program and it looks like that's how this season will end up. Hornet basketball has never seen better days in the D1 era under anyone else. His players (at least the ones that stick around, not sure where the 38 of 39 comes from as Katz has whiffed on quite a few players, but whatever) take care of business in the classroom and don't so stupid stuff that embarrasses the University so he gets some style points for that.

The only thing that matters to me on this issue is the events center. If there is not a firm date set on ground breaking, I'm not sure Nelsen/Orr can lure a better coach than Katz. Since there have been no recent updates on the events center I'm assuming it's still a good ways off and retaining Katz is probably the safe play. If admin has an events center lined up (I doubt it, there would have been rumors galore by now) then they could be leveraging that to hire on a splashy hire.

This is the admin that pulled of the Taylor hire for football which a lot of folks didn't think they could pull off. If they think they can hire a better coach for MBB, then so be it. It's their call and I'm fine with it either way since it's their show to run.

Also I'm calling BS on Katz doubling his salary with a move to SJSU. Looking at the available salary info online, they pay nowhere near double his salary for Jean Prioleau ($286k) or his predecessor, Dave Wojcik ($272k). Katz made $286k in 2018.

grizz32 said:
Not sure where doubling his salary is coming from but not me. I stated paid more than Sac St.

The MBB booster club guy sent out an email claiming Katz passed up the SJSU gig that would have doubled his salary. I'm getting your op and his email mixed up, but essentially the message is the same.

SDHornet said:
Fair point. Credit to Katz, he made this program respectable with the worst facilities in D1. While there is always some level of disappointment, bad losses, same lack of in game adjustments every year; this seasons results is pretty much where our ceiling is in the Nest. Near overall 500 season record and likely getting bounced from the BSCT in the 2nd round is my level of expectations for this program and it looks like that's how this season will end up. Hornet basketball has never seen better days in the D1 era under anyone else. His players (at least the ones that stick around, not sure where the 38 of 39 comes from as Katz has whiffed on quite a few players, but whatever) take care of business in the classroom and don't so stupid stuff that embarrasses the University so he gets some style points for that.

The only thing that matters to me on this issue is the events center. If there is not a firm date set on ground breaking, I'm not sure Nelsen/Orr can lure a better coach than Katz. Since there have been no recent updates on the events center I'm assuming it's still a good ways off and retaining Katz is probably the safe play. If admin has an events center lined up (I doubt it, there would have been rumors galore by now) then they could be leveraging that to hire on a splashy hire.

This is the admin that pulled of the Taylor hire for football which a lot of folks didn't think they could pull off. If they think they can hire a better coach for MBB, then so be it. It's their call and I'm fine with it either way since it's their show to run.

Also I'm calling BS on Katz doubling his salary with a move to SJSU. Looking at the available salary info online, they pay nowhere near double his salary for Jean Prioleau ($286k) or his predecessor, Dave Wojcik ($272k). Katz made $286k in 2018.

Once again, SDHornet took the words out of my mouth. :nod:
BS on that whole double the salary non-sense with SJSU. The only jump he's making is going to a FBS conference aka a better basketball conference in the Mountain West from the Big Sky. A five year/half a decade contract in Div1 sports with almost a guaranteed that you won't get canned is a pretty darn solid set up for any coach. Both parties got what they expected from the agreement and if anyone is crying murder for one side or the other, in my opinion, has obvious alliances to that respective party.

Not sure where your getting your salary info. The current San Jose State coach is being paid a base of $276,648 and also receives $123,360 in supplemental compensation for a total of $400,008 and he has additional bonuses he can achieve each year. That information is pulled from the Mid-Major Madness coaching contract database that was compiled thru the Freedom of Information and 149 colleges including San Jose State and Sacramento State sent in the coaches contracts. Not sure where you got the info on Coach Katz’s 2018 compensation but according to his contract his base salary is $186,004. He can receive additional compensation after Sac State receives $175k in guarantee game compensation. If you look at our schedule I do not think we are surpassing that. So from this publicly available, university supplied info it is not a stretch to say the San Jose State job could have doubled his salary.
This salary link was posted on the Weber board earlier this year. Interesting to see what different schools pay. https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ziLelnv_vGFTOFHw2lDunCieg_YWqWFPeJUq1DYuAjc/edit#gid=0

I used the Sac Bee database and/or other public employee salary databases. Below is each programs HC total pay (base pay + other pay not including benefits) by year. Katz wasn't going to double his pay at SJSU and the payouts on record prove that so that false narrative needs to die already.

Year -------Katz-------Prioleau (SJSU)---Wojcik(SJSU)
2019 ----$244,592-----$286,242
2018 ----$286,143-----$279,486
2017 ----$269,177-----$88,862------------$216,092
2016 ----$241,435---------------------------$272,658
2015 ----$176,334---------------------------$271,406
2014 ----$156,596---------------------------$257,578
2013 ----$147,111---------------------------$169,512
2012 ----$146,576
2011 ----$147,191
2010 ----$129,823
2009 ----$112,802
2008 ----$73,829

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4dWRaTEE2eTJMQnNWYWpiMElNZnh1ZUNNUWx3/view

This link which is available at the mid-major website will take you to the full contract for the San Jose State coach and the offer letter he signed in 2017. It outlines that $276,648 is paid by the state and that $123,360 is paid by the Tower Foundation. That is why in the public data base searches you will not the find the supplemental compensation which brings the position to $400k.

The debate is not about what the jobs paid. He pulled out of this opportunity because he was verbally offered an extension and the administration should make good on that commitment.

That’s still not double and if it's not about what the jobs pay, then why even bring up the point that he could have made more elsewhere? Why even interview elsewhere if it's not about the money? Katz' current contract has additional revenue opportunities available outside of what he get from the University, whether he wants to pursue those opportunities is his prerogative.

Sucks about the verbal agreement (if true). Supposedly this happened in 2017, which is not long after Orr was hired, and in the middle of Katz’ current contract. I have a hard time seeing a newly hired AD verbally agree to a 6 year extension without conducting his due diligence on the matter. Doesn’t really matter imo, verbal agreements are meaningless until they are put on paper. If Katz wanted a better deal, he should have leveraged the SJSU gig to get it in writing, or left for the “better” gig. Lesson learned.

The problem now is you have a booster club conducting an astroturfing campaign against the University President and AD to try and strong arm Katz into an extension. Not really sure how that will help this situation.

Greenteam said:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4dWRaTEE2eTJMQnNWYWpiMElNZnh1ZUNNUWx3/view

This link which is available at the mid-major website will take you to the full contract for the San Jose State coach and the offer letter he signed in 2017. It outlines that $276,648 is paid by the state and that $123,360 is paid by the Tower Foundation. That is why in the public data base searches you will not the find the supplemental compensation which brings the position to $400k.

The debate is not about what the jobs paid. He pulled out of this opportunity because he was verbally offered an extension and the administration should make good on that commitment.

Not that Sacramento is much cheaper, but any additional SJSU money paid would be eaten up with housing and other living costs.

SDHornet said:
That’s still not double and if it's not about what the jobs pay, then why even bring up the point that he could have made more elsewhere? Why even interview elsewhere if it's not about the money? Katz' current contract has additional revenue opportunities available outside of what he get from the University, whether he wants to pursue those opportunities is his prerogative.

Sucks about the verbal agreement (if true). Supposedly this happened in 2017, which is not long after Orr was hired, and in the middle of Katz’ current contract. I have a hard time seeing a newly hired AD verbally agree to a 6 year extension without conducting his due diligence on the matter. Doesn’t really matter imo, verbal agreements are meaningless until they are put on paper. If Katz wanted a better deal, he should have leveraged the SJSU gig to get it in writing, or left for the “better” gig. Lesson learned.

The problem now is you have a booster club conducting an astroturfing campaign against the University President and AD to try and strong arm Katz into an extension. Not really sure how that will help this situation.

Not cool by booster dude to publicly shame Orr and Nelson.

Perfect reply SDH!

Latest posts

Back