• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

UPDATE-Richards Dismissed from Football Team, Amos Suspended

Cub,

No biggie, but please in the future don't post the whole story over here, as it cuts down potentially on website hits....I'd prefer the first graph and a link over...the advertisers like it that way.

ISUSID

I do not understand this so could someone give me some insight. Why was Richards released? Does he not lead the team in tackles? Why pay a scholarship but release one of the best players? Does anyone have answers? GO BENGALS!!!

I think the release says it all: "violating team rules and conduct detrimental to the team." Paying the scholarship is a minor thing -- we're half-way through the end of the semester, so it's a minor cost, and you can't recruit anybody to fill it until next semester, anyway. And keeping him on scholarship also encourages him to finish his degree, which helps ISU's APR, which means we won't be losing scholarships in the future.

scholarships are signed on a yearly basis and have to be honored for the entire duration of the school year.
And it doesn't say it all. What did he actually do?

Guys, if we wanted to the world to know, we would have said it in the release. It's between the player and the coaching staff, and it should be left to that.

ISUSID

I know Rashaad and he is a great person. He would leave everything he had on the field and has been playing hurt. He feels terrible about what has happened and is upset he cant be there with his teammates. I feel the already depleted Defense will struggle even more now.

Coaching at the elite level requires tremendous energy and sacrifices, often without significant rewards. When a coach’s team or individual athletes perform poorly, it is easy for a coach to question whether the sacrifices and energy required to coach are worth the commitment. This is especially true when family or other non-coaching responsibilities also are important to the coach.
Poor performance on and or off the field can be so discouraging so that a coach’s outlook can change for the worse. Thinking, language and behavior can change dramatically. These changes usually are visible to other people in the coach’s environment and can become poisonous. When a coach gives up on athletes, they know it, and credibility and the chance to lead towards success are gone. Today’s coaches are under tremendous pressure and stress may find it difficult not to fall into the behavior pattern. Because of time pressures, today’s coaches only have a short time to produce and often must focus their energies on the athletes with the best chances to succeed. This is simply the nature of the beast. Athletes don't always like this aspect of elite sport, but they usually understand it.
On the other hand, assistant coaches who carry this behavior to extremes may lose credibility and the ability to lead athletes. Losing credibility is devastating. What can assistant coaches do to build and maintain it? Many assistant coaches in danger of losing credibility are unaware of it because they don't realize how they are perceived by others. Increase consistency “Walking the talk” is easy to say but often difficult to accomplish. One common mistake is to make a rule that is applied strictly for some athletes and less so for a star athlete. This is a classic example of the kind of inconsistency that leads to a loss of credibility. Taking an occasional short-term loss of long-term credibility is rarely a mistake. On the other hand, I have frequently advised my assistant coaches not to establish rules or expectations that they are unable to enforce. If you know that you can't be consistent in your behavior, don't pretend or you will lose credibility with your athletes.

Sign: Just an observer

spartan said:
in addition, those aren't your words (or thoughts?) you found them online

Here is the link to the original source of D.M.'s post:

http://coaching.usolympicteam.com/coaching/kpub.nsf/v/7Jul06

Nice pick up, Spartan.

DM - I see your passion as a parent and a coach in your posts - keep it going. However, give credit where credit is due. APA citation not necessary for this board for any references used in your posts. ;)

Reporting live from the ASISU Car Crush homecoming event by the Rendezvous building, this is John Clayton, BengalDen.com :D

To start off with, I didn’t say these were my words. This is a similar situation that ISU is having and my-self has gone through. It doesn’t matter where the words come from. This is real life that is happening. I wished these adolescents would understand this. I try to find words either from my life, friends, or even on the web. But Spartan can always find fault in something. Like I said in a previous post. He is an ASS.

Sign; My words

the 'situations' are not similar - and i doubt you have gone through anything similar. you suggest you are a coach - yet you post (act?) like a disgruntled 'stage mother' rather than someone who should really understand what a professional coach deals with and goes through - great, your kids on the team - let the professional coaches do their jobs

as for the name calling (with apologies to wikipedia and apa format guidelines) -

Name calling is both a logical fallacy and cognitive bias, and a technique to intended to provoke conclusions and actions about a matter apart from an impartial examinations of the facts of the matter. When employed, name-calling is thus a substitute for rational, fact-based arguments against an idea or belief, based upon its own merits.

GOBIGORANGE said:
I do not understand this so could someone give me some insight. Why was Richards released? Does he not lead the team in tackles? Why pay a scholarship but release one of the best players? Does anyone have answers? GO BENGALS!!!

Oh well since he leads the team in tackles then we should just look away from any issues.

No, i am not saying that because he leads the team in tackles he shouldn't be released. I am just asking someone to actually say why he was released. I heard he doesn't even know! It happened at the Colorado game (No arrests or grades - disagreement with coaches?) That's just not fair to release a player that does give his all before giving him a suspension. I still back Coach Z and the Bengals but is this fair to this player and how does it make the rest of team feel? GO BENGALS!!!

I think he was in the police blotter a couple months ago? Don't know if that had anything to do with it? If he broke a team rule(s) then maybe they had all they could take. He might have been given a second chance? It sounds like coach Z made the right decision.

GOBIGORANGE said:
No, i am not saying that because he leads the team in tackles he shouldn't be released. I am just asking someone to actually say why he was released. I heard he doesn't even know! It happened at the Colorado game (No arrests or grades - disagreement with coaches?) That's just not fair to release a player that does give his all before giving him a suspension. I still back Coach Z and the Bengals but is this fair to this player and how does it make the rest of team feel? GO BENGALS!!!

GOBIGORANGE:
Trust me when I say Rashaad knows exactly why he was dismissed from the team, and so do his teammates. I don't know who you're getting your information from, but they're leading you WAYYYYYYYY down the wrong path.
As for telling everyone on the board the specifics of what happened, or the general public for that matter, it's better for Rashaad if the information isn't general knowledge. He deserves that much privacy. Coach Z addresses the subject once more tomorrow night in his pre-game interview on the radio, again, without going into details that could be harmful. There's a reason that schools all over the country suspend or release players from a team for "violating team rules", or "for conduct detrimental to the team", instead of just blurting out everything that's happened. There are plenty of reasons a player might be dismissed from a team that don't involve grades, or getting arrested. Sometimes it's just better if we don't know the details.

GO BENGALS!

Latest posts

Back