• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Week 1 - #8/10 Sac State at San Jose State

SDHornet

Staff member
Week 1 - #8/10 Sac State at San Jose State

The 8th/10th ranked Hornets open the 2024 campaign with a bus ride to the Bay Area to play the San Jose State Spartans for a Thursday game on national TV. SJSU starts a new era under incoming and experienced Head Coach Ken Niumatalolo and are looking to return to a bowl game and exceed preseason projections of finishing near the bottom of the Mountain West.

Based on the College Football News preview, Coach Niumatalolo and Offensive Coordinator Craig Stutzmann are implementing a pass heavy attack. I envision the SJSU offensive philosophy being similar to what Hawaii did (when they were good) with their wide open attack with some read option mixed in. This is a far cry from what Coach Niumatalolo ran in his more recent head coaching job at Navy and explains how the Spartans were able to retain their top wide receiver, Nick Nash (48 rec, 728 yds, 8 TD), from bailing via the portal this past offseason. The SJSU offense will also have Malikhi Miller (24 rec, 290 yds, 1 TD) and Justin Lockhart (36 rec, 578 yds, 1 TD), who is coming back from a season long injury, as targets in the passing game. SJSU landed a talented transfer in Floyd Chalk IV at running back that should give the Spartan offense plenty of offensive weapons.

The question marks for the Spartan offense are at quarterback and up front on the offensive line. CFN has transfer quarterback Emmett Brown being the likely starter with Walker Eget being next in line. Up front the Spartans will be looking for a whole new slough of starters to steady the offense.

On the defensive side, Defensive Coordinator Derek Odom returns for his 8th season at SJSU. His 3-4 defense finished 2nd in total defense in the Mountain West last season in which has a handful of starters returning. Up front the Spartan defensive line will be anchored by Soane Toia (37 tak, 7 TFL, 5 sac) but will be looking for players to step up on the line. At linebacker, the Spartans return a couple of starters in Jordan Pollard (79 tak, 4 TFL, 2 INT) and Taniela Latu (44 tak, 5 TFL). The linebackers, as with any 3-4 scheme, will be the backbone of this defense. The SJSU secondary returns a starter at cornerback in Michael Dansby (15 tak, 1 TFL, 1 INT) but will be looking for players to step up this season.

The Spartans kicking game was fairly reliable last season with kicker Kyler Halvorsen (10/15 FG, 54/55 PAT) making more than he missed. He has a long of 41 yards. The Spartans will be looking to see who wins the punting role between Trent Carrizosa and Dino Beslagic. SJSU has a talented kick returner in Jabari Bates (18.1 ypr).

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Hornets. Kaiden Bennett has proven time and time again that he can live up to the moment while the Sparatns have a big question mark behind center.
  • Running Backs: Spartans. SJSU’s Floyd Chalk IV has proven he is capable of carrying a heavy workload while the Hornets have more of a running back by committee approach with Elijah Tau-Toliver looking to have a bigger impact.
  • Wide Receivers: Push. Both teams return their leading receivers from last season. Lots of talent on the field from both teams in this one.
  • Tight Ends: Hornets. The Hornets have the most experienced tight end on the field in Coleman Kuntz. Aside from that, lots of question marks on both teams at this position.
  • Offensive Line: Hornets. The Hornets have more starters and experience returning compared to the Spartans.
  • Defensive Line: Push. A lot of unproven players getting opportunities on both teams. Hard to say who has an advantage here, if any.
  • Linebackers: Spartans. SJSU returns two starters in Jordan Pollard and Taniela Latu while the Hornets have a proven transfer in Will Leota.
  • Defensive Backs: Push. Lots of question marks on both teams. I don’t consider either team to have a good secondary until proven otherwise.
  • Punters: Hornets. Cal McGough has proven to be a solid punter while the Spartans don’t have an experienced punter coming into the season.
  • Kickers: Hornets. Zach Schriener has slightly better numbers than Kyle Halvorsen. Both have similar longs in the low 40’s. Slight edge to the Hornets here.
  • Kick Returners: Push. Jabari Bates has about twice as many returns as Danny Scudero. Both have similar return averages.

This is a winnable game for the Hornets and it’s advantageous for the Hornets that they face the Spartans early in the season before they get their passing attack worked out. The Spartans have a lot of question marks on their starting lineup, but they have some offensive weapons that should be able to open things up given the question marks on the Hornet defense.

The key for the Hornet defense is to get pressure on the inexperienced Spartan quarterback(s) and make open field tackles when they get the ball to their playmakers in space. I think the Hornet defense will struggle with a pass happy offense, especially if SJSU goes up tempo.

The experienced Hornet offense should be able to move the ball on the Spartan defense. There are some good players on the Spartan defense, but they do not look to be a dominant force given what was lost in the offseason.

Special teams should slightly favor the Hornets in this one. The kicking game could prove crucial in a close game.

I’m picking the Hornets to pull the upset against SJSU. Vegas has the Hornets a 7.5 point dogs, and I don’t have an issue with a one possession assessment. I think KB and his playmaking abilities will be the difference in another FBS victory in the Bay Area.

Hornetsports SJSU preview.

Stingers Up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up SD, as always. Game Notes are out and 2 deep has Danny Scudero doing KR with Michael Johnson, and as back up on PR. Scudero is supposed to be fastest guy on team. I looked at their roster, they have a lot of guys that have played in games, not many returning starters. When I think of this game, I think SJSU has new coaches, lots of new players, so the big thing I see is what New Mexico had against MSU, breakdowns of communication at critical points that will make the difference at critical junctures in the game.

I think the SJSU Board nails is when they say this game will come down to their offensive unknowns vs. our Defensive unknowns. I had this as a loss, but SD has me at 31-28 Hornets, MWC Champs again.

Two-Deep Observations:

• Sawyer Hayes beats our SDSU Transfer Joey Wright for starting LT.
  • Plug and play Kaden Richardson might be the starter all season long at C.
  • Jose Soto (RFr.) beats out last year's opening day starter Kenndel Riley (Jr.) at RG.
  • Aiden Meek beats out Coastal Carolina Transfer Bryson Summers at RT.
  • Danny Scudero beats out Utah Transfer Makai Cope at WR.
  • Curron Borders secures the backup RB role.
  • No "or" with Bennett/Conklin
  • Ahio, Brosseau, Knott, and Cashiola will be the front four we expected, with lots of rotation.
  • Jackson and Leota at MLB as expected.
  • Good to see the dudes that had to held things together in the defensive backfield at the end of last year in the two-deep to start!

Week 1 - #8th/10 Sac State at San Jose State

The 8th/10th ranked Hornets open the 2024 campaign with a bus ride to the Bay Area to play the San Jose State Spartans for a Thursday game on national TV. SJSU starts a new era under incoming and experienced Head Coach Ken Niumatalolo and are looking to return to a bowl game and exceed preseason projections of finishing near the bottom of the Mountain West.

Based on the College Football News preview, Coach Niumatalolo and Offensive Coordinator Craig Stutzmann are implementing a pass heavy attack. I envision the SJSU offensive philosophy being similar to what Hawaii did (when they were good) with their wide open attack with some read option mixed in. This is a far cry from what Coach Niumatalolo ran in his more recent head coaching job at Navy and explains how the Spartans were able to retain their top wide receiver, Nick Nash (48 rec, 728 yds, 8 TD), from bailing via the portal this past offseason. The SJSU offense will also have Malikhi Miller (24 rec, 290 yds, 1 TD) and Justin Lockhart (36 rec, 578 yds, 1 TD), who is coming back from a season long injury, as targets in the passing game. SJSU landed a talented transfer in Floyd Chalk IV at running back that should give the Spartan offense plenty of offensive weapons.

The question marks for the Spartan offense are at quarterback and up front on the offensive line. CFN has transfer quarterback Emmett Brown being the likely starter with Walker Eget being next in line. Up front the Spartans will be looking for a whole new slough of starters to steady the offense.

On the defensive side, Defensive Coordinator Derek Odom returns for his 8th season at SJSU. His 3-4 defense finished 2nd in total defense in the Mountain West last season in which has a handful of starters returning. Up front the Spartan defensive line will be anchored by Soane Toia (37 tak, 7 TFL, 5 sac) but will be looking for players to step up on the line. At linebacker, the Spartans return a couple of starters in Jordan Pollard (79 tak, 4 TFL, 2 INT) and Taniela Latu (44 tak, 5 TFL). The linebackers, as with any 3-4 scheme, will be the backbone of this defense. The SJSU secondary returns a starter at cornerback in Michael Dansby (15 tak, 1 TFL, 1 INT) but will be looking for players to step up this season.

The Spartans kicking game was fairly reliable last season with kicker Kyler Halvorsen (10/15 FG, 54/55 PAT) making more than he missed. He has a long of 41 yards. The Spartans will be looking to see who wins the punting role between Trent Carrizosa and Dino Beslagic. SJSU has a talented kick returner in Jabari Bates (18.1 ypr).

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Hornets. Kaiden Bennett has proven time and time again that he can live up to the moment while the Sparatns have a big question mark behind center.
  • Running Backs: Spartans. SJSU’s Floyd Chalk IV has proven he is capable of carrying a heavy workload while the Hornets have more of a running back by committee approach with Elijah Tau-Toliver looking to have a bigger impact.
  • Wide Receivers: Push. Both teams return their leading receivers from last season. Lots of talent on the field from both teams in this one.
  • Tight Ends: Hornets. The Hornets have the most experienced tight end on the field in Coleman Kuntz. Aside from that, lots of question marks on both teams at this position.
  • Offensive Line: Hornets. The Hornets have more starters and experience returning compared to the Spartans.
  • Defensive Line: Push. A lot of unproven players getting opportunities on both teams. Hard to say who has an advantage here, if any.
  • Linebackers: Spartans. SJSU returns two starters in Jordan Pollard and Taniela Latu while the Hornets have a proven transfer in Will Leota.
  • Defensive Backs: Push. Lots of question marks on both teams. I don’t consider either team to have a good secondary until proven otherwise.
  • Punters: Hornets. Cal McGough has proven to be a solid punter while the Spartans don’t have an experienced punter coming into the season.
  • Kickers: Hornets. Zach Schriener has slightly better numbers than Kyle Halvorsen. Both have similar longs in the low 40’s. Slight edge to the Hornets here.
  • Kick Returners: Hornets. Elijah Tau-Tolliver has a better kick return average than Jabari Bates.

This is a winnable game for the Hornets and it’s advantageous for the Hornets that they face the Spartans early in the season before they get their passing attack worked out. The Spartans have a lot of question marks on their starting lineup, but they have some offensive weapons that should be able to open things up given the question marks on the Hornet defense.

The key for the Hornet defense is to get pressure on the inexperienced Spartan quarterback(s) and make open field tackles when they get the ball to their playmakers in space. I think the Hornet defense will struggle with a pass happy offense, especially if SJSU goes up tempo.

The experienced Hornet offense should be able to move the ball on the Spartan defense. There are some good players on the Spartan defense, but they do not look to be a dominant force given what was lost in the offseason.

Special teams should slightly favor the Hornets in this one. The kicking game could prove crucial in a close game.

I’m picking the Hornets to pull the upset against SJSU. Vegas has the Hornets a 7.5 point dogs, and I don’t have an issue with a one possession assessment. I think KB and his playmaking abilities will be the difference in another FBS victory in the Bay Area.

Hornetsports SJSU preview.

Stingers Up!
Nice game preview, appreciate the time and effort put in. You made a lot of good points but I would respectfully like to provide some counterpoints in the matchups. No question SJSU has undergone a lot of change however they now have a better coaching staff and they also brought in a lot of good players. So I think reload is more apt than rebuild but will come down to how quickly they learn their new scheme and how quickly they develop chemistry among all the new players. Coach Taylor turned the Hornets into a highly respectful D1 program, not delineating between FCS or FBS, they are a solid D1 program. Coach Thompson has continued to keep the program headed in right direction.
So i’m terms of matchups at positions here’s where I would provide a counter argument.
WR: SJSU has not 1 but 2 MW #1st team caliber WR’s in Nick Nash and Justin Lockhart, who missed 2023 season but was a preseason MW #1st Team wide receiver. They have at least 5-6 guys who could compete for the 2 slot positions or move Nash to slot and go outside in Miller, Hurry, Coleman, Shoels, Deerman, Hoch, Maculso, so basically go 9 deep and one of best WR units in MW. Hornets have some good WR’s as well questionable there is the same depth and overall talent as SJSU.
TE: you give Hornets the edge because of experience at TE. SJSU has a couple of experienced guys and brought in a guy from UCLA and a JUCO both are 6’6+ and can run. At worst this is a push.
DL: This is clearly SJ advantage as they have one of the top DL in MW in Toia. Also have a grad DE just brought in who played at USU/UCLA, they have 2 big guys who can play DT and free up Toia. They have inexperienced DE’s this year except for 1, but talent is there. Hornets lost all 4 starting DL from last year. Huge advantage for SJSU who will rotate 9-10 DL and not drop off.
DB: you have push at DB I respectively say edge SJSU as they have ex Va Tech DB DJ Harvey who was basically a starter last year as was Dansby the other starting DB. They have a couple experienced guys on the bench and brought in good guys from USD and Ariz St
ST’s: you give the Hornets the sweep on ST’s and this is almost as clear an advantage to SJSU as DL. Don’t assume because SJSU K long was only 41 yds that he doesn’t have much of a leg.Poor coaching decisions and inconsistent FG unit last year struggled so of course K takes the hit. SJSU kicker has a huge leg, before coming to SJSU had a bunch of P4/G5 offers as a transfer and chose SJSU. Punter has experience as he punted for Colorado as a freshman, transferred to SJSU where his brother was a Ray Guy Award nominee caliber punter. SJSU has some good kick returners, even if Hornets’ returners are better unless they stand at the back of the end zone probably not retuning too many kicks unless it’s windy.
Overall I agree it will be a close game, basically new teams for both so whoever adjusts the best to massive new number of starters and can make the least errors likely will win. I don’t see it as a FCS vs FBS type game, rather two good programs dealing with a lot of change and seeing how asjusts the best. Lots of people have sold SJSU short and can’t possibly be good because of all the changes, but saying so doesn’t make it so. Lots of talent on this team, one of the QB’s needs to step up. Should be a fun game with some points scored so looking forward to it. Thanks for the great posts and allowing me to respond. Just happy FB is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Good posts above. I had the write up done before our 2 deep was posted, I did edit my kick return pick. I think the Mejia injury is going to be big in a negative way but I hope I'm wrong. The Hornet line has been pretty stout under Coach Richardson so I understand the reason to not be overly concerned, but losing a preseason all-BSC center is a big deal IMO.

I'm concerned with the interior defensive line. We'll be giving up some size inside so I think we'll struggle to stop the run again this year. I was hoping some of the bigger bodies on the roster would have cracked the 2 deep. We'll see if they get worked into the rotation as the season progresses.

BuzzHornet, good comments and all I can say is I'll take your word for it. I don't follow SJSU closely so any of those rotational players that didn't get notable stats didn't make it onto my radar. Given the portal, lots of guys are moving around these days and for programs like ours and SJSU, most of the guys moving in were buried on the bench and don't have any numbers to their name even if they are coming from a notable program. All I can say is that in my "Position Advantage" picks, I value stats over where players came from with my own bias mixed in. Every roster will have new guys that were backups or rotational guys getting mixed in the fray and stepping up. I won't spend the time trying to research who that may be beyond the Hornet roster, and that is because I'll be tuning into or attending our games.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't see the MW as that much of a better conference than the top half of the BSC. The biggest advantage a program like SJSU has over ours is the added depth of D1 talent due to the 22 additional scholarships. Then there is the NIL factor as well. Some of these FBS programs will have a big budgetary advantage over ours which allows them to spend in free agency. I have no idea how robust SJSU's NIL is nor do I know anything about ours, so I can't comment on how that will have an impact on these rosters.

Last edited:
Yes agreed the top FCS teams are right there with the majority of the MW. This season Boise, Fresno and UNLV stand out but the next 5-6 teams could finish in any order. Stats are a good indicator but as you said with the portal you get some good P4 players that rather drop down and play that have been sitting so crapshoot how they play with no experience. . Of the new SJSU guys S Rahimi, RB Chalk, WR Hurry, WR Deerman, DE Ward, DT Jones plus an OL or 2 from former FCS or JUCO will likely start but all will help out immediately.I have no idea of their NIL either but they lost their LT to Arkansas, starting DB to Texas, 2 starting OL to Boise and Arizona, best Def player and their #1 RB to Arizona and starting 2 All MW TE’s also left. Also lost 8 or so starters including All Conference QB and RB to graduation. This will be an interesting game to see how the talent matches up, you made a very good point that FBS have 22 more scholarships.Which basically allows schools to load up on depth esp P4’s.Any good G5 players you have to worry about them being snagged by P4’s if they have a good year almost like a baseball farm league. The only MW school I know with decent NIL is Boise, I read they put together a 300K cash plus house and car deal for their stud RB Jeanty. There is some NIL money for MW but not a lot especially for mid tier MW schools. I saw Vegas lines dropped from -7.5 to 3.5 so someone is betting the house on Sac St.. that you SD?? Gonna be a close game that could go anyway and really all comes down to how the SJSU QB(s) play as they will need to be decent for SJSU to win. Currently an unknown as no one even knows who the starter is. Good luck to both schools

Good posts above. I had the write up done before our 2 deep was posted, I did edit my kick return pick. I think the Mejia injury is going to be big in a negative way but I hope I'm wrong. The Hornet line has been pretty stout under Coach Richardson so I understand the reason to not be overly concerned, but losing a preseason all-BSC center is a big deal IMO.

I'm concerned with the interior defensive line. We'll be giving up some size inside so I think we'll struggle to stop the run again this year. I was hoping some of the bigger bodies on the roster would have cracked the 2 deep. We'll see if they get worked into the rotation as the season progresses.

BuzzHornet, good comments and all I can say is I'll take your word for it. I don't follow SJSU closely so any of those rotational players that didn't get notable stats didn't make it onto my radar. Given the portal, lots of guys are moving around these days and for programs like ours and SJSU, most of the guys moving in were buried on the bench and don't have any numbers to their name even if they are coming from a notable program. All I can say is that in my "Position Advantage" picks, I value stats over where players came from with my own bias mixed in. Every roster will have new guys that were backups or rotational guys getting mixed in the fray and stepping up. I won't spend the time trying to research who that may be beyond the Hornet roster, and that is because I'll be tuning into or attending our games.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't see the MW as that much of a better conference than the top half of the BSC. The biggest advantage a program like SJSU has over ours is the added depth of D1 talent due to the 22 additional scholarships. Then there is the NIL factor as well. Some of these FBS programs will have a big budgetary advantage over ours which allows them to spend in free agency. I have no idea how robust SJSU's NIL is nor do I know anything about ours, so I can't comment on how that will have an impact on these rosters.
Yeah, the broken leg for Mejia is a killer. Hopefully he can get a medical redshirt and come back to anchor the line for two more years!

Yes agreed the top FCS teams are right there with the majority of the MW. This season Boise, Fresno and UNLV stand out but the next 5-6 teams could finish in any order. Stats are a good indicator but as you said with the portal you get some good P4 players that rather drop down and play that have been sitting so crapshoot how they play with no experience. . Of the new SJSU guys S Rahimi, RB Chalk, WR Hurry, WR Deerman, DE Ward, DT Jones plus an OL or 2 from former FCS or JUCO will likely start but all will help out immediately.I have no idea of their NIL either but they lost their LT to Arkansas, starting DB to Texas, 2 starting OL to Boise and Arizona, best Def player and their #1 RB to Arizona and starting 2 All MW TE’s also left. Also lost 8 or so starters including All Conference QB and RB to graduation. This will be an interesting game to see how the talent matches up, you made a very good point that FBS have 22 more scholarships.Which basically allows schools to load up on depth esp P4’s.Any good G5 players you have to worry about them being snagged by P4’s if they have a good year almost like a baseball farm league. The only MW school I know with decent NIL is Boise, I read they put together a 300K cash plus house and car deal for their stud RB Jeanty. There is some NIL money for MW but not a lot especially for mid tier MW schools. I saw Vegas lines dropped from -7.5 to 3.5 so someone is betting the house on Sac St.. that you SD?? Gonna be a close game that could go anyway and really all comes down to how the SJSU QB(s) play as they will need to be decent for SJSU to win. Currently an unknown as no one even knows who the starter is. Good luck to both schools
The four point jump in the line in the Hornets favor in such a short period is insane! What does Vegas know? Or did Tom Hanks drop a bag on Hornets ML?!

Another thing we can't over look - this is a National TV game on the TNT/CBS network (TruTV - usually carries NCAA BB games). This is their FIRST ever CFB broadcast. It's an evening start, and there may actually be a ton of people watching this game. Probably more than all of our last three ESPN 2 games combined (IU, MSU, UIW).

I don't expect one, but a Colorado State style whipping might go a long way for program support!

Last edited:
SD had some good points but you must be smoking some good stuff (Humboldt?) haha jk if you think Sac State can put a whipping on SJSU. I agreed that Sac State could win but if any team losses by 14 or more it won’t be SJSU IMO. I agree though I’ve never seen a line drop so precipitously like that unless big late injury or something. But never in a G5/FCS game, SJSU just never gets respect. You would think after finishing like they did last season they would get a little respect but evidently
not. The problem is your defense isn’t very good so even inexperienced QB’s are going to be able to move the ball. Not going to lie I’m even more interested in this game now and if Sac does win big I will insert my foot into my mouth after the final whistle.

Last edited:
Two-Deep Observations:

• Sawyer Hayes beats our SDSU Transfer Joey Wright for starting LT.
  • Plug and play Kaden Richardson might be the starter all season long at C.
  • Jose Soto (RFr.) beats out last year's opening day starter Kenndel Riley (Jr.) at RG.
  • Aiden Meek beats out Coastal Carolina Transfer Bryson Summers at RT.
  • Danny Scudero beats out Utah Transfer Makai Cope at WR.
  • Curron Borders secures the backup RB role.
  • No "or" with Bennett/Conklin
  • Ahio, Brosseau, Knott, and Cashiola will be the front four we expected, with lots of rotation.
  • Jackson and Leota at MLB as expected.
  • Good to see the dudes that had to held things together in the defensive backfield at the end of last year in the two-deep to start!
I didn’t check that roster but I’m surprised Zeke Burnett hasn’t been mentioned.

SD had some good points but you must be smoking some good stuff (Humboldt?) haha jk if you think Sac State can put a whipping on SJSU. I agreed that Sac State could win but if any team losses by 14 or more it won’t be SJSU IMO. I agree though I’ve never seen a line drop so precipitously like that unless big late injury or something. But never in a G5/FCS game, SJSU just never gets respect. You would think after finishing like they did last season they would get a little respect but evidently
not. The problem is your defense isn’t very good so even inexperienced QB’s are going to be able to move the ball. Not going to lie I’m even more interested in this game now and if Sac does win big I will insert my foot into my mouth after the final whistle.

SJSU game notes are posted. Hornet game notes have way better visuals and clarity compared to the Spartan game notes.

It’s really bad - typos everywhere, not releasing a coach’s two-deep like Sting said? Weird.

We sure are putting out a lot while our FBS opponent is putting out no info. They seem scared
Agree… SJSU knowing they will have a challenge.
If Coach Defense can gel quickly we will beat them similar to what we did at Colorado St. If our Defense isn’t playing well then it will be a closer game.
Next Game hoping Michigan beats up on Fresno State where we can catch them as well and go 2-0 vs Mtn West

From the presser today they have named a starter but will not publicize it until they take the field Thursday. Man... busch league stuff from SJSU.

Latest posts

Back