• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Week 1 - #8/10 Sac State at San Jose State

Dirty hit on Johnson. How that isn’t targeting. I have no idea.
Guy lead with his helmet and this isn’t anything? These refs are absolutely trash. SJ really needs the refs to give them extra yards, pick up flags on obvious holds. That was a freakin targeting. His helmet popped back. How do you not call that????? The refs are garbage. Even the announcer said it

Prayers up to him. Refs need to do something about that. You can’t play defense with your helmet, concuss someone and not have anything call

Our Defense struggled this game. Couldnt cover #3 Nick Nash,

Bennet lacks confidence in his body language. His arm doesn’t stretch the defense. Conklin is the ARM & Future and they should be playing both QB’s like we used too and use the best QB for what the defense giving us.

How did we give up that great asset!

I know its one game but not getting a great feeling about this team, Feels like a middle of the pack type season. Worried about two things: Bennett and Fresques.

Bennett just makes too many mistakes and has a noodle arm. Would rather ride with Conklin or at least split them. Which leads me to my second point.

I don't think Fresques is the answer. Great guy, great Hornet, but after last season and this game my opinion is he's very subpar as an OC and does not have a great feel for the game. I almost broke my TV with those two TE dives. With Troy I felt like we were gonna score everytime we had the ball and was surprised when we didn't. With Bobby I'm assuming we're not gonna score and am surprised when we do execute.

Hopefully I'm off base.

Last edited:
What a buzzkill after a tremendous start!

Up 14-7 and at the doorstep they run the dive to Koontz after running it the play before. The way Tau-Tolliver had been going to that point — IDK how he doesn’t get the ball on 4th down. That was one of many key, momentum shifting plays in the game.

Also, as others have pointed out, Kaiden Bennett missed on open throws that most of us believe Conklin makes. Because he’s able to throw with touch. That’s a skill Kaiden just doesn’t seem to possess. He’s a one-pitch pitcher, so-to-speak. Nothing but line drive fastballs. We saw the difference immediately when Carson came into the game and threw a picture perfect corner route to Scudero.

IIRC we saw the same thing last season when Bennett left a game due to injury and Conklin replaced him. But for whatever reasons the coaches still seem to believe that Bennett is the better fit. Kaiden must be showing more in practice than we are seeing in games. IDK. Either that, or this staff just prefers to play the upperclassman.

All I know is this fan has a lot more confidence in Carson Conklin running the offense and slinging the football than I do in Kaiden Bennett. Reading through this thread, it doesn’t appear that I’m alone.

One positive callout on the offensive side of the ball was the o-line and Tau-Tolliver. The line was kicking the Spartans @$$ the first half and Tau-Tolliver was running through them. Let’s hope that continues the rest of the season!

Defensive was a mixed bag. On one hand they made some big plays. The early interception by Kenion III was nice, as was the jarring hit by Puloka that forced a turnover. I thought the Will Leota ejection was a tough call that could have gone either way. It was a tough, aggressive hit regardless. Sometimes those things just work against you, and tonight it did.

The inability to slow Nash was certainly disheartening. Coach Thompson needs to get the secondary figured out. Tonight looked a bit like Hornet secondaries of old.

All in all it was a tough lump to swallow to start the new season. Hopefully they rebound next week down in Fresno. Here’s hoping the Wolverines beat up and soften FSU quite a bit on Saturday. :)

I know its one game but not getting a great feeling about this team, Feels like a middle of the pack type season. Worried about two things: Bennett and Fresques.

Well, the good news is, despite the mistakes, they did play a competitive game until it got away late in Q4. And despite only holding a 17-14 lead at half, they looked like the superior team up to that point — especially on the lines.

They just need to work on their focus and consistency for 4 quarters. And hopefully figure out the QB situation.

Latest posts

Back