• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Week 10 - #7 Sac State at #4 Montana

Got some former Hornet coaches on that Cal Poly sideline that are going to make sure the team is ready. Be thankful the last two games are in CA though. This team is not ready to play in non ideal conditions.

We lost three guys to the portal last year. From what I’m hearing, unless the teams gets together, and figures out their internal issues, there will be a mass exodus of our skill players.

stingthemgood said:
Got some former Hornet coaches on that Cal Poly sideline that are going to make sure the team is ready. Be thankful the last two games are in CA though. This team is not ready to play in non ideal conditions.

We lost three guys to the portal last year. From what I’m hearing, unless the teams gets together, and figures out their internal issues, there will be a mass exodus of our skill players.

Unlike SDSU, the Hornet regime change has been a disaster. Sounds like the coaches have lost the team. Yeah, they won six games that they should have. A drop in synergy has definitely occurred and the players see it and feel it.!

The coaches deserve the blame (and credit) but the idea of wholesale coaching changes following a likely playoff berth season is ludacris. Everyone needs to calm down and get over their TDS (Taylor derangement syndrome). I don’t get the entitlement from some of our fans, were the doomers even fans pre-2019?

Taylor pulled the same head scratching in-game play calling quite often, the only difference was that he was fortunate that it didn’t cost us any games (last year's Idaho game comes to mind). Last night, the play calling was very similar to what we’ve seen under Taylor, only this time it didn’t work and we took the loss. I’m not happy with the outcome and I hope this current coaching staff doesn’t repeat its mistakes, but it’s rather outlandish to call for a coaching change in the midst of a 6-3 season with 2 winnable games remaining.

As OSH mentioned, we’re doing the same thing this year but with different and in some cases less experienced players. Some people (incorrectly) thought all was lost with Taylor’s departure. What we know is that this team has some flaws, and even with those flaws all that has been proven up to this point is that we are not a top 10 team and not a BSC title contender this year. We’re still a good team with very strong odds to make the playoffs. The doomers need to calm down and stop with the coaching change nonsense.

One positive I forgot to mention in the post-game writeup was how well the Hornets took care of the ball. No turnovers given the conditions is a big positive.

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCewSkoYWPQ

Full Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6b6vGY_Ks

stingthemgood said:

My post earlier was a link to a tweet from Lucas Semb. He is an FCS writer at FCS Nation Radio. He tweeted at half game as the Sac team was going into the tunnel that the players were arguing and fighting, one another. Thompson mentioned everyone being accountable the State Hornet writer. Well, that mirror needs to start with the coaches taking a long look in that mirror. From my perspective, you know Montana adjusts in game well, and we were not ready for any adjustment ourself. To me it looked like the D quit in the 4th. Seems to me blame starts with coaches, all of them.

SDHornet said:
The coaches deserve the blame (and credit) but the idea of wholesale coaching changes following a likely playoff berth season is ludacris. Everyone needs to calm down and get over their TDS (Taylor derangement syndrome). I don’t get the entitlement from some of our fans, were the doomers even fans pre-2019?

Taylor pulled the same head scratching in-game play calling quite often, the only difference was that he was fortunate that it didn’t cost us any games (last year's Idaho game comes to mind). Last night, the play calling was very similar to what we’ve seen under Taylor, only this time it didn’t work and we took the loss. I’m not happy with the outcome and I hope this current coaching staff doesn’t repeat its mistakes, but it’s rather outlandish to call for a coaching change in the midst of a 6-3 season with 2 winnable games remaining.

As OSH mentioned, we’re doing the same thing this year but with different and in some cases less experienced players. Some people (incorrectly) thought all was lost with Taylor’s departure. What we know is that this team has some flaws, and even with those flaws all that has been proven up to this point is that we are not a top 10 team and not a BSC title contender this year. We’re still a good team with very strong odds to make the playoffs. The doomers need to calm down and stop with the coaching change nonsense.

One positive I forgot to mention in the post-game writeup was how well the Hornets took care of the ball. No turnovers given the conditions is a big positive.

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCewSkoYWPQ

Full Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6b6vGY_Ks

Don’t talk up Montana and how dominant they are, we owned them under the Taylor derangement period. So to get blasted 34-7 shows that either the coaches are in over their head and were good assistants under a great coach or that Mapu, O’Hara and Skatteboo were indeed demigods able to slay the dragon all by themselves.

I think Thompson has too much on his plate, be a DC or HC, not both. Fresques is in way over his head, not able to plot and adjust a game plan consistently. I unfortunately saw this kind of ball game under Sears and it sucked. Instead of confidently entering the game expected to win, we are sheepishly hoping THE game plan selected will work not willing to make adjustments or open a bag of tricks to counter changing game momentum.

Having public infighting and noticed by a beat writer tells me the team is not cohesive, confident or executing to a common game plan. This is on the coaches. Be it their personality, ability or leadership.

Ok, they miraculously make it to the playoffs and get bounced first round. How much fun and accolades does that bring?

It’s funny people are bringing this up, I thought the same thing watching the game. I was like wow, this feels exactly like a Jody Sears era game. It really was, worst loss in 5 years, when he was HC.

HeavyistheClown said:
Super Hornet 2.0 said:
Kadeezy: I didn't get to see the game, but Morninweg must have been really bad to be be worse than Collinsworth and Romo....

Collingsworth and Romo can [bleep] a [bleep].

While I'm nowhere near a fan of those two (and as bad as Romo has been in the booth, he was an embarrassment as a player), I'm even more not a fan of that language. Please tone it down....

I can't help but wonder what the Clown is going to say when this staff and team figure out how to win 8,9 or 10 games. It could easily happen and no one other than a clown is going to compare it to the Sears era.

Super Hornet 2.0 said:
HeavyistheClown said:
Super Hornet 2.0 said:
Kadeezy: I didn't get to see the game, but Morninweg must have been really bad to be be worse than Collinsworth and Romo....

Collingsworth and Romo can [bleep] a [bleep].

While I'm nowhere near a fan of those two (and as bad as Romo has been in the booth, he was an embarrassment as a player), I'm even more not a fan of that language. Please tone it down....

Oh. We have to start tickle fighting because Super Fake Former Player says so. Right on it.

Tone down your fake claims of playing at the school and I will stop swearing on this forum through 2024.

Until then. Shut the fuck up with the censorship routine.

OldSchoolHornet said:
I can't help but wonder what the Clown is going to say when this staff and team figure out how to win 8,9 or 10 games. It could easily happen and no one other than a clown is going to compare it to the Sears era.

I was ALSO thinking - we went 23-1 in the Big Sky over three playoff appearances and won ONE playoff game (granted we got three seeds). Maybe having to fight for our lives now and in the postseason will build some character. Having a 7-4 Hornet team double the school’s lifetime playoffs wins would be pretty funny.

Kadeezy said:
OldSchoolHornet said:

I was ALSO thinking - we went 23-1 in the Big Sky over three playoff appearances and won ONE playoff game (granted we got three seeds). Maybe having to fight for our lives now and in the postseason will build some character. Having a 7-4 Hornet team double the school’s lifetime playoffs wins would be pretty funny.

Agreed. In each of those playoff appearances, it was obvious something was missing. It could be a simple as the team never had to face real adversity until the playoffs and weren't prepared.

The success during the Taylor era was unequivocally unsustainable…even if he would have stayed. At some point we were going to lose a conference game…a road game to a FCS opponent…and we were not going to win the BSC indefinitely.
This is a very different team than the last couple of seasons facing a vast array of new challenges. When they win eight games it’s going to be a successful season. If they win just two playoff games it will be an accomplishment that the program hasn’t attained since 1988 and ground breaking territory since the beginning of the FCS era. I just think some people who have absolutely no idea of the complex variables of the decisions that have been made to this point need to slow their roll and quit attacking the coaches until it all plays out.
Earlier this season a huge portion of the keyboard Montana Griz fans were calling out to have Hauck and his entire staff fired…hopefully we can be a bit more supportive than those clowns.

This is still a playoff team. I just think expectations were very high around these parts after we beat Stanford. No Fulcher for half the season has hurt, and Moleni being down also hasn’t helped.

We can turn it around if we get everyone believing in each other and not bickering and fighting with each other like we saw in Missoula.

We need to blow out Cal Poly and feel good about ourselves. Davis game we will lock in for because it matters too much to the local guys on our team. We are not getting a bye week. We’ll get a home playoff game. And then we’ll see what we got.

The season is not over yet. Personally I have not called for an overall coaching change. I have clearly pointed out that our offensive okay calling is anemic.
In game adjustments on offense are not happening to sustain drives.
The comments from the Montana Griz announcers talking about hornet players fighting amongst each other in the tunnel could be exaggerated and or out of context. I watched the game but I didn’t see that myself.
They and especially B Fresques OC needs to get it fixed quickly. If we get blown out in the UCD game w weak play calling skills. I will be making my voice heard that Bobby as much as we like him personally might not be the best OC for our team. We always need good QB coach.

HornetFootballFan said:
The season is not over yet. Personally I have not called for an overall coaching change. I have clearly pointed out that our offensive okay calling is anemic.
The comments from the Montana Griz announcers talking about hornet players fighting amongst each other in the tunnel could be exaggerated and or out of context. I watched the game but I didn’t see that myself.
They and especially B Fresques OC needs to get it fixed quickly. If we get blown out in the UCD game w weak play calling skills. I will be making my voice heard that Bobby as much as we like him personally might not be the best OC for our team. We always need good QB coach.

Bobby is one of the nicest people I've ever met... I think a lot of folks on this board think the same way. It's why we all pull for him. He wanted this job for so many years -- he has it -- he needs to take these last two and give our two rivals two ass whippings.

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said in this thread. Clearly we're all super disappointed. And rightfully so.

Hopefully the team/coaches figure out how to right the ship. And that all starts this week against CP.

stingthemgood said:
HornetFootballFan said:

Bobby is one of the nicest people I've ever met... I think a lot of folks on this board think the same way. It's why we all pull for him. He wanted this job for so many years -- he has it -- he needs to take these last two and give our two rivals two ass whippings.

This.

Hey guys, from this Griz fan standpoint, you're being too hard on your team and your staff. That game was closer than the score indicated, and as you know, Wa-Griz is a tough place to play.

FWIW, my $.02 is that you are an absolute LOCK at 8-3, and I would say it would take a lot of weird shit for you not to get at 7-4. You'd be deserving. The problem is there are a lot of bad teams who still have the potential to win their conference title, and that's never a good thing for bubble teams.

Finally, what the eff with the big sky calling unsportsmanlike on everyone in the stadium? How ridiculous.

Okay, go beat Poly and that team across the Causeway. Let's load the playoffs with bsc teams.

stingthemgood said:
HornetFootballFan said:

Yes, I've had some issues with Sting here on the board, but he's 100% correct here. I have also met Bobby Fresques, and can confirm that he IS one of the nicest people on the face of this Earth. I've wanted him to have this shot for years, and believe that he can get the job done. Josh McDaniels he is not....

Latest posts

Back