• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Will Kramer stay or go?

I would like you to consider something. I think this is a fair and legitimate thread. It is going to piss some people off and others will be just fine with it. But if you are going to do it keep it to this thread. Don't hijack other threads and bump old topics with conversation along these lines.

If you do it this way I think this can be a pretty interesting thread. No matter where someone stands. It seems as though the board is more concerned about the word ass or fartknocker than it is with keeping post on topic. So, my promise is this. Keep this thread alive, keep it moving and if you all are lucky you will read the most deep and insightful thoughts of the BengalCub. But keep it here. Because if you keep hijacking things, I will hijack your threads with poems of love and how to spice up your love life.

Up, you never listen to anyone when people post here, but when you consider that Kramer still has a year left on his contract, do you think we've got over $180,000 to pay him for his final year? I don't think so either. Just like anyone here I'm really frustrated about this season because I had some high hopes, and I do apologize for some of the things I've said just recently about our overall play. But we all need to be understanding about what's happened, as Kramer recently said that we've been plagued by a lot of injuries this year. And we don't have adequate depth, especially on the offensive and defensive lines, for the reserves to come in and make a difference; I think it was Skippy that said that we've only got around 55 players on scholarship, and not a full complement of 63 scholarships. It's a lot easier for 1A teams to have quality players come in and fill in for injured o-line and d-line players and do an adequate job since they do have 85 scholarships to work with.

First of all, defensive lineman Rasheed Williams was injured at the beginning of the year and he's been sorely missed, and now d-tackle Nikko Taylor won't travel to Missoula this weekend. Linebacker Mario Jenkins may not travel this weekend. Offensive linemen Skyler Phillips and Chase Collins were lost for the season the middle part of the year, and now lineman Thomas Vazorka won't make the trip to Missoula. Wide receiver Broc Malcom was academically ineligible the beginning of the year, and his backup Chris Reynolds has been injured all year. Running back Jakori Ford is doubtful for the Montana game and his backup, Ty Flanagan, is questionable this weekend as well.

Don't tell me we've got adequate depth to replace all of these players because we don't. We've got three games left and we need to do what we have to do to just make it through the season with what we've got. I think it's doubtful that we can win any of the remaining games. Kramer's a good coach and has a great track record at a couple other Big Sky schools. Even if we replaced him do you think we could find anyone better?

bengalcub said:
I would like you to consider something. I think this is a fair and legitimate thread. It is going to piss some people off and others will be just fine with it. But if you are going to do it keep it to this thread. Don't hijack other threads and bump old topics with conversation along these lines.

If you do it this way I think this can be a pretty interesting thread. No matter where someone stands. It seems as though the board is more concerned about the word ass or fartknocker than it is with keeping post on topic. So, my promise is this. Keep this thread alive, keep it moving and if you all are lucky you will read the most deep and insightful thoughts of the BengalCub. But keep it here. Because if you keep hijacking things, I will hijack your threads with poems of love and how to spice up your love life.

Good point about keeping the comment to this thread. I appreciate that.

As they said in Casablanca, "welcome back to the fight..."

PBP

boisebengal said:
Up, you never listen to anyone when people post here, but when you consider that Kramer still has a year left on his contract, do you think we've got over $180,000 to pay him for his final year? I don't think so either. Just like anyone here I'm really frustrated about this season because I had some high hopes, and I do apologize for some of the things I've said just recently about our overall play. But we all need to be understanding about what's happened, as Kramer recently said that we've been plagued by a lot of injuries this year. And we don't have adequate depth, especially on the offensive and defensive lines, for the reserves to come in and make a difference; I think it was Skippy that said that we've only got around 55 players on scholarship, and not a full complement of 63 scholarships. It's a lot easier for 1A teams to have quality players come in and fill in for injured o-line and d-line players and do an adequate job since they do have 85 scholarships to work with.

First of all, defensive lineman Rasheed Williams was injured at the beginning of the year and he's been sorely missed, and now d-tackle Nikko Taylor won't travel to Missoula this weekend. Linebacker Mario Jenkins may not travel this weekend. Offensive linemen Skyler Phillips and Chase Collins were lost for the season the middle part of the year, and now lineman Thomas Vazorka won't make the trip to Missoula. Wide receiver Broc Malcom was academically ineligible the beginning of the year, and his backup Chris Reynolds has been injured all year. Running back Jakori Ford is doubtful for the Montana game and his backup, Ty Flanagan, is questionable this weekend as well.

Don't tell me we've got adequate depth to replace all of these players because we don't. We've got three games left and we need to do what we have to do to just make it through the season with what we've got. I think it's doubtful that we can win any of the remaining games. Kramer's a good coach and has a great track record at a couple other Big Sky schools. Even if we replaced him do you think we could find anyone better?

Boise:

All solid points, you are echoing my thoughts almost perfectly.

Think he's good or not, the guy is a four time Big Sky Conference Coach of the Year...that says something. And your final point is again something I've been saying, you can fire him and his staff but who with a better track record is going to be willing to come down the pike and be the one to make the latest attempt?

I exchanged e-mails with Madison the Journal sports editor and made a suggestion that the paper perhaps do an in-depth series of stories on ISU football, the history, the challenges, how it compares or differs from other schools in the Big Sky Conference from an athletic, financial, travel and community support standpoint. How the academic standards compare or contrast to the other Big Sky schools...topics along those lines.

I thought it could bring to light the thoughts from former players and coaches, people from the community, other Big Sky officials from the conference office (anonymously of course). It would help explain things, put things into a proper context, outline what ISU has going for it and what issues they have to contend with that other Big Sky schools do not.

Madison got back with me and said it was funny but he was just discussing that very topic with some of the newspapers higher-up's and that it would certainly be a good idea. He hopes to do something on it possibly when things slow down in the off season / summer.

If he does, I think that would be worth while reading.

PBP

I have heard mention on this message board over the last few months how Coach Kramer needs to recruit better and I even have seen some mention to how we cant get good players to come to ISU because of the academic restrictions and a number of other reasons etc etc. I DO NOT AGREE!! Coach Kramer knows how to recruit. I also believe he REALLY KNOWS how to identify talent for WHAT HE NEEDS TO FIT HIS TEAM AND UNIVERSITY. That is a great quality for a coach to have. I will give four VERY VERY VERY good examples to prove my point. I know they are only four examples but since I am new here I am sure I am missing a few others and I also know that some may say "its only four guys, look at the bigger picture." 1.) The best receiver in the country for FCS and some would argue possibly even the best FBS receiver as well Cooper Kupp. Coach Kramer and his staff of ISU coaches were the FIRST staff to offer Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington University a FULL scholarship. Eastern Washington was the only other school to come in VERY VERY late in the process to offer Cooper a Full Scholarship. If you know the story, and it is not a made up story it is DIRECTLY from the EWU coaches mouth, Junior Adams the Wide Recievers coach at the time DID NOT AT ALL want Cooper Kupp he repeatedly stated he did not think he was fast enough to play for them and he did not think he could play there. Junior Adams was a Montana State player under Coach Kramer. Cooper Kupps offensive coordinator at Davis HS was a former coach under Coach Kramer at MSU while Adams was a player at MSU and Adams really respected that assistant coach and after that assistant coach worked for about two months on Junior Adams to convince him to take Cooper, stating to Adams repeatedly "he would not regret it", Junior Adams FINALLY decided to offer him a scholarship and take a chance and just trust his former assistant coach at MSU. Coach Kramer and his staff were that close to landing him and were the staff who really identified him as a player that would be a good fit and a guy that could play at this leavel. That is very good talent evaluation and talent projection by Coach Kramer and his staff that no OTHER Big Sky coach could do. 2.) Jeff Hansen who is one of the very best recievers in the FBS and who plays for CAL Berkely now in the PAC 12. Coach Kramer and his staff were the only staff according to the stories that offered Jeff a Full SCholarship. Jeff Hansed accepted the scholly and came to ISU. That is GREAT identification and projection of a player by coach Kramer and his staff 3.) Eric Hollowell son is a player who was a Full Scholarship player on the ISU team and is now in the SEC, the best conference in the country and playing for a VERY SOLID Arkansas program. That is straight up legit by that kid to be able to transfer UP to a level as that. So coach Kramer and his staff identified a HS player and offered him a full scholarship and that player came to ISU. That is impressive to identify that HIGH QUALITY level of a player. 4.) Pat Carter was a player Coach Kramer and his staff signed to a L.O.I. out of high school. Pat accepted the scholly and came to ISU. He then transferred to Boise State who is a VERY VERY high level program. That is impressive that Pat was able to transfer UP to a program that good. That speaks to his talent level. That was good identification and projection by the coaching staff. To me this speaks to Coach Kramer and his staffs ability to identify GOOD to EVEN GREAT players who others may not be identifying out of high school, then they are able to GET THOSE PLAYERS TO OUR CAMPUS AND COMMIT. We will get more GOOD to GREAT players under Coach Kramer and the staff.

demian said:
I have heard mention on this message board over the last few months how Coach Kramer needs to recruit better and I even have seen some mention to how we cant get good players to come to ISU because of the academic restrictions and a number of other reasons etc etc. I DO NOT AGREE!! Coach Kramer knows how to recruit. I also believe he REALLY KNOWS how to identify talent for WHAT HE NEEDS TO FIT HIS TEAM AND UNIVERSITY. That is a great quality for a coach to have. I will give four VERY VERY VERY good examples to prove my point. I know they are only four examples but since I am new here I am sure I am missing a few others and I also know that some may say "its only four guys, look at the bigger picture." 1.) The best receiver in the country for FCS and some would argue possibly even the best FBS receiver as well Cooper Kupp. Coach Kramer and his staff of ISU coaches were the FIRST staff to offer Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington University a FULL scholarship. Eastern Washington was the only other school to come in VERY VERY late in the process to offer Cooper a Full Scholarship. If you know the story, and it is not a made up story it is DIRECTLY from the EWU coaches mouth, Junior Adams the Wide Recievers coach at the time DID NOT AT ALL want Cooper Kupp he repeatedly stated he did not think he was fast enough to play for them and he did not think he could play there. Junior Adams was a Montana State player under Coach Kramer. Cooper Kupps offensive coordinator at Davis HS was a former coach under Coach Kramer at MSU while Adams was a player at MSU and Adams really respected that assistant coach and after that assistant coach worked for about two months on Junior Adams to convince him to take Cooper, stating to Adams repeatedly "he would not regret it", Junior Adams FINALLY decided to offer him a scholarship and take a chance and just trust his former assistant coach at MSU. Coach Kramer and his staff were that close to landing him and were the staff who really identified him as a player that would be a good fit and a guy that could play at this leavel. That is very good talent evaluation and talent projection by Coach Kramer and his staff that no OTHER Big Sky coach could do. 2.) Jeff Hansen who is one of the very best recievers in the FBS and who plays for CAL Berkely now in the PAC 12. Coach Kramer and his staff were the only staff according to the stories that offered Jeff a Full SCholarship. Jeff Hansed accepted the scholly and came to ISU. That is GREAT identification and projection of a player by coach Kramer and his staff 3.) Eric Hollowell son is a player who was a Full Scholarship player on the ISU team and is now in the SEC, the best conference in the country and playing for a VERY SOLID Arkansas program. That is straight up legit by that kid to be able to transfer UP to a level as that. So coach Kramer and his staff identified a HS player and offered him a full scholarship and that player came to ISU. That is impressive to identify that HIGH QUALITY level of a player. 4.) Pat Carter was a player Coach Kramer and his staff signed to a L.O.I. out of high school. Pat accepted the scholly and came to ISU. He then transferred to Boise State who is a VERY VERY high level program. That is impressive that Pat was able to transfer UP to a program that good. That speaks to his talent level. That was good identification and projection by the coaching staff. To me this speaks to Coach Kramer and his staffs ability to identify GOOD to EVEN GREAT players who others may not be identifying out of high school, then they are able to GET THOSE PLAYERS TO OUR CAMPUS AND COMMIT. We will get more GOOD to GREAT players under Coach Kramer and the staff.

Unfortunately Demian I am afraid your examples illustrate many of the obstacles ISU faces in recruiting. Take Kupp -- ISU is the only school on him for months -- then EWU comes in at the last minute and boom -- he's gone. Chad Hansen has a very successful freshman year with the only program that offered him, then transfers as a walk-on to a larger school. He was quoted in a recent article as saying "Pocatello is in the middle of nowhere." Pat Carter essentially followed the same route -- except after he walked on at BSU he found out he wasn't going to play much there and came back.

My point is this -- it's damn tough to recruit to ISU. Not impossible and there have been some successes over the years. But there is a reason every ISU football coach in the past 30 years has been fired. And let's just recap those coaches -- a local hero and promoted assistant coach, two PAC 10 assistants, a JUCO coach, a former NFL offensive coordinator and a D-2 promotion. Now folks want to fire a four-time Big Sky coach of the year. Knock yourselves out. You may see some incremental improvement in the first few years. As we saw with McNeely and Lewis and in year 3 with Mike Kramer. But history tells us it won't last. And we'll be having this discussion again in another 5 years --and after one more fired coach.

I think Kramer record speaks for itself at ISU. He had one good season because of qb Arias and everybody knows it. The others years have been terrible - cellar or bottom of the barrel with one and two wins per season. He does not recruit well otherwise it would show up in his win columns. He complains and has more excuses than any coach I know of why he looses. He has had a full compliment of 63 scholarship since November 2012 which is the full amount of scholarships you can have in the FCS. His first two years he handed out scholarships to walkons with high GPAs to fix the APR problem. He has fired a lot of coaches and hired new coaches at ISU and still cannot win. Zamberlin was fired with one more year on his contract so Kramer can go too if the AD wants a new direction with the program. If not, expect the same results next season like the other years and live with it again in 2017. It is time to bring in a new staff that can give these players hope and a new attitude that we will have winning seasons. Kramer and his current staff cannot win at ISU. They tried their best but it just has not worked. Kramer hints all of the time he does not want to be here as he too is tired of losing - as he says all of time "We are God Awful". The lastest saying is "Now we are playing for the Love of Football". Great... Let him go . He is done and ready to go fishing..

up for the challenge said:
I think Kramer record speaks for itself at ISU. He had one good season because of qb Arias and everybody knows it. The others years have been terrible - cellar or bottom of the barrel with one and two wins per season. He does not recruit well otherwise it would show up in his win columns. He complains and has more excuses than any coach I know of why he looses. He has had a full compliment of 63 scholarship since November 2012 which is the full amount of scholarships you can have in the FCS. His first two years he handed out scholarships to walkons with high GPAs to fix the APR problem. He has fired a lot of coaches and hired new coaches at ISU and still cannot win. Zamberlin was fired with one more year on his contract so Kramer can go too if the AD wants a new direction with the program. If not, expect the same results next season like the other years and live with it again in 2017. It is time to bring in a new staff that can give these players hope and a new attitude that we will have winning seasons. Kramer and his current staff cannot win at ISU. They tried their best but it just has not worked.
I think we all know where you stand Up, and we shall see where the administration goes. It is unusual for a school to let a coach go into his final contract year without an extension because other schools use that against him in recruiting. So I would think the administration will have to make a decision this off-season. I will correct one inaccuracy in your post --Kramer has never had a full complement of 63 scholarship equivalents. The most has been just under 57 scholarships, which was the estimate for this season. No matter how you look at it, all coaches must eventually win or they will be fired. May not be this year, but it will be soon if things don't turn around. My point is that ISU has so many systemic issues, it would be difficult for Bill Belichick to win there consistently.

I am not the only one that thinks he should go. Kramer tried here but he cannot get it done.

Kramer is entitled to 63 scholarships since November 2012 per Tingey and the NCAA. Whether he uses the maximum or not is up to him.

I am not the only one that thinks he should go. Kramer tried here but he cannot get it done.

Kramer is entitled to 63 scholarships since November 2012 per Tingey and the NCAA. Whether he uses the maximum or not is up to him.
Not necessarily. There is a limit on the number of initial scholarships you can give in any one year. If your attrition rate is higher than that limit you can't fill all those scholarships.

Skippy said:
demian said:

Unfortunately Demian I am afraid your examples illustrate many of the obstacles ISU faces in recruiting. Take Kupp -- ISU is the only school on him for months -- then EWU comes in at the last minute and boom -- he's gone. Chad Hansen has a very successful freshman year with the only program that offered him, then transfers as a walk-on to a larger school. He was quoted in a recent article as saying "Pocatello is in the middle of nowhere." Pat Carter essentially followed the same route -- except after he walked on at BSU he found out he wasn't going to play much there and came back.

My point is this -- it's damn tough to recruit to ISU. Not impossible and there have been some successes over the years. But there is a reason every ISU football coach in the past 30 years has been fired. And let's just recap those coaches -- a local hero and promoted assistant coach, two PAC 10 assistants, a JUCO coach, a former NFL offensive coordinator and a D-2 promotion. Now folks want to fire a four-time Big Sky coach of the year. Knock yourselves out. You may see some incremental improvement in the first few years. As we saw with McNeely and Lewis and in year 3 with Mike Kramer. But history tells us it won't last. And we'll be having this discussion again in another 5 years --and after one more fired coach.

Skippy = I hear ya man. My post was ONLY in regards to Coach Kramer and his staff. The obsatcles are what they are and i hear ya on that. I feel they should all stay on as coaches. My point was to state that Coach Kramer and his staff know how to find really good players and not only find them but get them to come here. My point is that Coach Kramer has to be a good coach and a good recruiter (his staff also) if they can identify those guys when a lot of others Don't identify those players, our staff has done a great job of getting those players to come here.

Demian,

I doubt we could beat a good D2 school that wins their league. Why not schedule a good D2 school rather than a Simon Frazier or Black Hills? I think there is a reason for that. We might lose and that would tell you that our recruiting is not as good as you think. Our win/loss record and scores should tell you that our recruiting is not so good over the last 5 years under Kramer. Not to say we do not have "some" good FCS players but to say we are not close with other teams in recruiting and that is because we lose and lose big in most games. How many players on this team will make 1st team and 2nd team and 3rd team.in the BSC? I guarantee you there will not be many. Maybe, a few honorable mentions. Would have, could have, should have does not get it.

Demian,

I doubt we could beat a good D2 school that wins their league. Why not schedule a good D2 school rather than a Simon Frazier or Black Hills? I think there is a reason for that. We might lose and that would tell you that our recruiting is not as good as you think. Our win/loss record and scores should tell you that our recruiting is not so good over the last 5 years under Kramer. Not to say we do not have "some" good FCS players but to say we are not close with other teams in recruiting and that is because we lose and lose big in most games. How many players on this team will make 1st team and 2nd team in the BSC? I guarantee you there will not be many.

We will play western Oregom next season and they are usually a good d2 team, they are only 3-5 this year but every year before that back to 2012 they have a winning record every year

bengalcub said:

Bengalcub,

Why would we all be so lucky? Be spontaneous like the rest of us and say what you have to say about this topic.

boisebengal said:

BoiseBengal,

Kramer is way over paid based on his record at ISU. I could win one or two games a season and I am not a coach. The answer to your last sentence is Hell Yes. There are plenty of coaches that would come here and clean house and get this program into D1 shape. Kramer had his good years but he cannot get it done here. He knows it and we know it. Where do you think we will end up in the Big Sky standings this season? You right, just like the other years and it will be the same in 2017. The number of unavailabilities are trrrible but it was not going to make a difference in the win column. There are plenty of teams with unavailabilities including Montana who we play today so we cannot use that excuse why we lose. I believe you watched the games so you did see what Portland State and NAU did to us when we were pretty healthy and they are not top contending teams. We get out coached in every game if you believe our players are D1 type of players. Kramer had a great excuse for both of those games- traveling on bus and commercial flights. He must think we play in the NFL

You don't realize how bad the APR sanctions hurt us for the last several years. It was Zamberlin that got us into the APR mess that we were in and now Kramer and staff got us out of it, and now we're ready to build the program.

I'd explain Up, but you refuse to listen to anyone. There's a few people on this board that know a lot more about football than you and I both, but you absolutely refuse to listen to anyone because you know absolutely everything. You're completely wearing everyone out on this board.

.....very well said boisebengal.....TOTALLY with you.....but be careful....you will be dragged into a meaningless and totally "go in circles" conversation....that ends up pointless..... :coffee:

Latest posts

Back