• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Will Kramer stay or go?

up for the challenge said:
I read the Journal article yesterday why the team had another losing season according to Kramer. In short, not spending enough time in the weight room, inexperience, heavy Fall semester credits, bus rides, no room and board for summer classes, and injuries are reasons for failure this season. I guess the other teams do not have these problems throughout the year.

All schools have some issues like the listed ones above.

The question though is, do they have as many? Are they as entrenched?? Are they as difficult to overcome because of circumstances both within and outside of the schools control?

Again Brad has very accurately explained numerous times, the issues facing ISU football over the past 40+ years. It may be worth looking those up and refreshing ones memory.

PBP

PBP said:
I read the Journal article yesterday why the team had another losing season according to Kramer. In short, not spending enough time in the weight room, inexperience, heavy Fall semester credits, bus rides, no room and board for summer classes, and injuries are reasons for failure this season. I guess the other teams do not have these problems throughout the year.

The question though is, do they have as many? Are they as entrenched?? Are they as difficult to overcome because of circumstances both within and outside of the schools control?

Again Brad has very accurately explained numerous times, the issues facing ISU football over the past 40+ years. It may be worth looking those up and refreshing ones memory.

PBP

I understand the past reasons (prior to Kramer arriving at ISU) to why the program has not done well over the years. When you lose most of your games every season at ISU there are more explanations to why the season or program went south again. I believe ISU has tried their best in giving the football staff the tools they need to be successful the last 6 years. What else is needed besides the newest requests from Kramer?

Just in terms of the injuries issue you listed, here is a post from August regarding Madison Guernseys (Idaho State Journal) list of key players to ISU 2016 football. He listed these 15 players. of these 15 to my math they have been without approx. 30% of these 15 players from anywhere to multiple games to EVERY GAME to half the season etc etc.

"If you missed any of those stories, I’d suggest checking them out. It’s a great way to familiarize yourself with the team as fall camp grinds into gear. Madison’s lists are below …

Madison’s top 10 most impactful…
1. Tanner Gueller, QB
2. Taison Manu, S
3. Mario Jenkins, LB
4. Skyler Phillips, OL
5. Jakori Ford, RB
6. KW Williams, WR
7. Chase Collins, OL
8. Josh Cook, TE
9. Sean Cheney, P
10. Anthony Ricks, CB

Madison’s 5 breakout candidates…
— Michael Dean, RB
— Pat Carter, WR
— Nikko Taylor, DL
— Ty Flanagan, RB
— Rasheed Williams, DL"

That is pretty significant to me and not real common throughout the league OR ANY LEAGUE in my opinion. To have 15 guys listed as key players in pre season and for 30% of them to miss that much game action is significant to me.

PBP said:

PBP

I have tried MULTIPLE times over the past few months to look up these issues that "Brad" has explained. I first have to say I don't know who "Brad" is, I have surmised that MAYBE he is "Skippy" here on the board. I have gone back 12 months on this message board and can not find any post by Skippy or Brad on the "issues" that are hindering ISU football. I know it has to be a good post because I find PBP to be a straight shooter and obviously a guy who knows what he is talking about. The last thing I will say is this - in my search for Brad's post of "issues" I noticed something VERY INTERESTING = This message board IS VERY VERY DIFFERENT and in a lot of ways NON EXISTENT compared to what it was 12 months ago. While I was searching for Brads post of issues I noticed NUMEROUS posters with names who ARE NO WHERE involved anymore on this message board. it is actually really weird. At least 12 months ago there kind of seemed to be some activity on this message board from ALOT of different people. Man really strange to look at the posts from last October and November in comparison to this season.

demian said:
PBP said:

PBP

I have tried MULTIPLE times over the past few months to look up these issues that "Brad" has explained. I first have to say I don't know who "Brad" is, I have surmised that MAYBE he is "Skippy" here on the board. I have gone back 12 months on this message board and can not find any post by Skippy or Brad on the "issues" that are hindering ISU football. I know it has to be a good post because I find PBP to be a straight shooter and obviously a guy who knows what he is talking about. The last thing I will say is this - in my search for Brad's post of "issues" I noticed something VERY INTERESTING = This message board IS VERY VERY DIFFERENT and in a lot of ways NON EXISTENT compared to what it was 12 months ago. While I was searching for Brads post of issues I noticed NUMEROUS posters with names who ARE NO WHERE involved anymore on this message board. it is actually really weird. At least 12 months ago there kind of seemed to be some activity on this message board from ALOT of different people. Man really strange to look at the posts from last October and November in comparison to this season.
Demian I've posted over the years about a number of institutional challenges ISU athletics faces. I'm not going to rehash all that because I think it comes off as overly negative on my part. I think if you look at the history of ISU football you can see it has always been a climb. You can also see it's possible to have some success. I have one of Jerry's Rotary Club flags in my front yard right now and I'm hoping for a huge win today against the Weebs. I think that would make us all feel better about life, at least for a day or two. Go Bengals!

Skippy said:
demian said:
PBP said:

PBP

Demian I've posted over the years about a number of institutional challenges ISU athletics faces. I'm not going to rehash all that because I think it comes off as overly negative on my part. I think if you look at the history of ISU football you can see it has always been a climb. You can also see it's possible to have some success. I have one of Jerry's Rotary Club flags in my front yard right now and I'm hoping for a huge win today against the Weebs. I think that would make us all feel better about life, at least for a day or two. Go Bengals!

I hear ya Skippy. Heck yeah I just hung my ISU Bengals Banner on my front porch a few minutes ago also. Go bengals

PBP said:
Did we get out coached in the second half?

No.

PBP

I Agree 155% with PBP on this and I disagree 155% with UFTC on this. Good effort today bengals PLAYERS AND COACHES. ISU played its best games in this second portion of the season BY FAR (even while being TOTALLY decimated by injuries to starters on both sides of the ball). that is a good sign. North Dakota game to the Weber State game were BY FAR THE BEST GAMES FROM THIS TEAM.

I'll list a couple of issues;
1- Five division I programs within 6 hrs of Pocatello. The entire state has 1.5 million, most in the Boise area.
2- ISU has never embraced Athletic's, the academic side has at times been an enemy of Athletics. Bowen the previous President of the University would have cut the programs if possible.
3- It takes money to win consistently, no matter where your are. Southeast Idaho fans are notoriously cheap, with many excuses; I'll support a winner, someone else should pay for that. Additionally, Southeast Idaho is LDS dominate with people who will sit at home and watch BYU even if they are bad rather than go to a game or support the locale university.
Just a few of the issues I have noticed over the past thirty years.

Let's get this out of the way. Kramer has done just what Tingey wanted him to do; raise the APR, recruit good kids, and be a positive influence in the area. For the new comers to this page, anyone here less than five years, we are right on schedule for turning the program around. The first three years were spent getting our APR under control, getting our scholarships back, and positioning ourselves for the future. To do that Kramer gave a large portion of scholarship money to high academic walk-ons. Additionally, for three years we still had influences from Zamberlin's recruiting on the team, some good, some not so good. Our scholarship were returned a couple of years ago allowing us to begin building again thus you see more depth at each position each year.

Now look to next year; we return our QB, all our linemen, have three TE's on team, all our RB's but one, three starting WR. The Defense returns everyone but 1 safety, 1 LB, and 3DL. We have two DT redshirted to replace the two leaving and a DE who redshirted this year. Next year we will be a JR/Soph dominated team all with playing experience and depth from last years recruiting class. Kramer didn't know for sure what was going to happen this year or he said he didn't. But anyone who knows football knew we would struggle because of youth, depth, and one bad ass schedule. Speaking from experience, fire coaches does not always work at this level. It's not like we are going to have the next Kyle Whittingham wanting our job. For example we didn't get Gary Anderson because we couldn't afford his assistant coaches, back to one of our issues, money talks. Instead of bitching on a message board why not donate to the bengal foundation, I do every year.

blackfootbengal said:
Let's get this out of the way. Kramer has done just what Tingey wanted him to do; raise the APR, recruit good kids, and be a positive influence in the area. For the new comers to this page, anyone here less than five years, we are right on schedule for turning the program around. The first three years were spent getting our APR under control, getting our scholarships back, and positioning ourselves for the future. To do that Kramer gave a large portion of scholarship money to high academic walk-ons. Additionally, for three years we still had influences from Zamberlin's recruiting on the team, some good, some not so good. Our scholarship were returned a couple of years ago allowing us to begin building again thus you see more depth at each position each year.

Now look to next year; we return our QB, all our linemen, have three TE's on team, all our RB's but one, three starting WR. The Defense returns everyone but 1 safety, 1 LB, and 3DL. We have two DT redshirted to replace the two leaving and a DE who redshirted this year. Next year we will be a JR/Soph dominated team all with playing experience and depth from last years recruiting class. Kramer didn't know for sure what was going to happen this year or he said he didn't. But anyone who knows football knew we would struggle because of youth, depth, and one bad ass schedule. Speaking from experience, fire coaches does not always work at this level. It's not like we are going to have the next Kyle Whittingham wanting our job. For example we didn't get Gary Anderson because we couldn't afford his assistant coaches, back to one of our issues, money talks. Instead of bitching on a message board why not donate to the bengal foundation, I do every year.

AWESOME POST. Thanks for posting that blackfootbengal. We basically have 4 starters returning at WR, because Scooby Reynolds was going to be a starter at WR this season before injury, Mitch, Scooby, Graves, Dean all are essentially starting WR's. Tanner really started to look better as season went on. One issue he or the staff needs to work on is the amount of balls that tanner has batted down at the line of scrimmage. Obviously the other teams watch film and know that we get the ball out quick so they teach DE to get hands up and bat ball down or in a handful of cases this year bat ball up and get a deflection interception. I am not sure what the fix to that problem is tho but that is one issue I think tanner needs to correct. I thought the offensive line really started to pass protect way better in the latter part of season. The running game had moments of effectiveness. The big area we need to work on is pass coverage, even in the weber state game it seemed like they had WR's wide open a lot, I think a lot of that will improve as the players gained a lot of on field experience. The pass rush actually started to get home some in these last three games. I love the DE's of Breland, Jackson, Razor and Chance, Add to that mix Rasheed Williams and look out. Peoples and #96 started to look real good on the interior DL as season went on. As a fan I feel very good about the way the season ended, I remember after the Southern Utah game when Coach Kramer had his Wednesday press conference later that week going into the University of Montana game ON THE ROAD again. Coach Kramer revealed the unreal amount of new injuries and unavailabilities and he said at this point our team needs to be a group of guys WHO JUST LOVE TO PLAY FOOTBALL. I thought the team really resembled that mindset in the last three games. Coach played guys WHO LOVED TO PLAY FOOTBALL and the players who DID NOT, well they did not play much or at all and I am sure that got sorted out in practice and in film review. Coach found some "dogs", these last few weeks. We lose some important seniors for sure and they will be missed. We need the three back up QB's to really commit themselves to improving every day this offseason and throughout next season. We cannot pull guys from other skill position units midseason because the backup QB's are not progressing mid season like we did this year with Pilster, good job by pilster though for keeping us respectable for the game and a half he played, much respect to that guy. Have a good Thanksgiving my fellow Bengals fans and get ready for the recruiting season (that is a fun time of year).

Unfortunately, this season will go down in the history books as a last place team. No ISU player, coach, or fan enjoys viewing the final Big Sky standings but it is what it is. 0ther teams and other fans do not care about ISU football issues as they just see us as a losing team and see us as a predictable win when looking at their schedule. All the past explanations to why this program has not done well is in the history books in the win-loss column. Fans want a team who will win games and not a team that lose almost every game every season. Maybe, Kramer can turn this team around but it has not happened yet. I hope he finds some players that are game breakers this recruiting season to give his current team a chance in 2017 but it sounds like he is content with his returning players on the team to have a winning season. You will know this time next year how the 2017 team did. Until that time do not say that the future is bright until it actually shows up in the win columns as that is just talk.

I agree with you that results matter and we'll see where things go.

As far as the reference to other teams and other fans don't care about ISU's problems and just see the program as an easy win...I can only speak for myself but I could care less what other teams or other fans think at all in this regard.

PBP

Latest posts

Back