• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Anymore Football Recruits Sign? More Idaho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roar...ISU has had football camps long before Coach Z got here...There has to be a few Idaho players that stand out....I think the camps might just be a money maker for coaches rather than a recruiting tool.IMO

The Idaho State camps that were conducted last summer were awesome. ISU had a number of schools from all over the state that had not participated before. I know of multiple teams in Boise that chose the Idaho State camp over the BSU camp. Boise, Nampa, Eagle, Caldwell and Skyview were some of them.

I think the camps are a wonderful recruiting tool. Idaho State has signed a number of kids over the past two seasons that camped in Pocatello. Kids get to see the community, meet the coaches and get a glimpse of Bengal football. Higher participation at these camps does wonders for recruiting local talent.

If you want to talk about this staff like they are giving the shaft to Idaho kids, I suggest you step back and think about it again. Recruiting the best that Idaho has to offer makes sense, perfect sense. For you to continue to imply that ISU is not doing a good enough job doing it is beyond me.

Who has Idaho State not offered that you believe should have been? It is fair to say that Idaho State has lost some recruiting battles to other schools--but to say that they aren't committed to it, that just isn't accurate.

When Century's new FB coach approached ISU about his ideas about last year's football camp...it took attendance at ISU's annual summer football camps from maybe a couple of hundred to around 800 (if I remember correctly...I hope I'm not way inflating that number). A-J Storms, who we signed and who started for us as a freshman this past year was in that camp...and he's spoken about how he fell in love with the coaches at the camp.

And for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would complain about coaches making money in their camps. That's the way it's been in camps in every sport for decades. Most of the time, as mentioned before, it's a way for grossly underpaid, hard-working assistant coaches to supplement their incomes.

Coach Zamberlin said over and over and over and over again this past year on weekly coach's radio shows, as well as on pre-game and post-game radio shows, that he's going to focus on high school kids that can be "turned into quality college football players"...maybe they're kids that aren't as big or fast as the best, but have the kind of heart that makes a winner. And he's said over and over and over and over again that the first place they start looking is in Idaho...and that's exactly what they do. The weekly coach's radio show is on every Monday night during the football and basketball seasons, and yet how many people have the courage to call up and have a conversation with the coach on the air, let alone schedule a meeting with him in his office? It kind of reminds me one of my best friends, Boyd,from high school and college (who has since passed away from brain cancer). One day in a college class, the teacher asked class members this question: "If you were walking down the street one evening in your town, and you heard a noise down a dark alley as you walked by and when you looked saw two or three guys assaulting a woman, how many of you would have the guts to run down the alley and try and help the woman?" Oddly enough, Boyd was the only person in the class who raised his hand, and let me tell you...most of the other people in the class started to make fun of him and pick on him and tell him he was lying just to look good for the teacher and the girls in the class. Boyd shut them all up with one sentence. He said, "Well, if I don't have enough guts to raise my hand in class and say I would, it's a sure thing I won't have the guts to go down the alley to help the woman!" After he said that...you could've heard a pin drop in that classroom.

I guess my point here is just like I said...every Monday night at 6:00 during the football and basketball seasons, there's a coach's radio show where the head coach (or an assistant) is on to talk about each team and its respective seasons. The show is called the "Coach's Call-In Show" for a reason, but you know how many people ever pick up the phone and call-in? Very, very few. Here's a chance on a weekly basis to literally address things like this with a coach in a live format...and hardly anyone has the couragee to call and bring things up....it's just a thought...

By the way...rehash or not...this is a great thread with a large number of differing thoughts and opinions being expressed. Personally...I think Coach Z and his staff are busting their butts to get kids from Idaho. Somebody else mentioned in this thread that even though we only signed 5 Idaho kids...we offered 18. How can you say that isn't a worthy effort of recruiting Idaho kids?

I have faith in Coach Z. From everything I've learned about him he's a good man with principles...who wants good kids with principles. Do some kids come here and fail? You bet they do! But we all fail at some parts of our lives...and thank God for second chances, and third and fourth chances. As much as I'm looking forward to the next football season...I have even higher hopes and expectations for the years after that...and I firmly believe we'll be competing for Big Sky titles with this coaching staff. When we do...I don't think many of us are going to be parsing over where our players are from. And there'll be a good mix of Idaho kids pulling their weight anyway.

Right or wrong...that's my opinion, as a fan, and I'm sticking with it. As my good friend Brad says, "Thanks for being a Bengal fan. It ain't always easy, but it's always fun."

That was a good read VOTB. Nice points and some i didn't know about either. That is why it is good for all of us to share different views and opinions. Go Bengals!

Frank...Why do you hear about it every year? It's a problem with alot of fans! Why would I set up an appointment with the coaches when Blackfoot said he got in trouble with Coach Z last year. Does Coach Z get out in Idaho and meet with high school prospects or just his assistants? It's not disrespectful (I'm a Coach Z fan) just a question. And FRANKly I think this is the perfect place to whine about it....

Orange don't use me as an excuse for not calling Withworth or Zamberlin. Sorry about posting so far into this discussion, but I was busy. Zamberlin and Nick are both straight forward people who would be happy to talk to you. My issues were self induced by the reptilian side of my brain which takes over every once in while. I have not read any farther than this post so if I touch on things that have already been said, forgive me.

What do you want, only Idaho kids, just a few out of staters, what is it you want. You have bounced from arugument to argument for days now. Here is the next question I always ask when arguing with people like you. Why do you expect ISU to give full rides to these kids when no other team has offered them. For some reason people like you think ISU is the home of the not offered by anyone else team. There are 6 div. I teams within five hours of Pocatello and you expect ISU to offer kids that not one of these teams was willing to offer. You expect every coach we have to go out and just offer Div. II or less talent scholorships to make you feel better. You will not win games with those kids, that is why none of the other schools in the area offered them. Frankly, you would just find some other reason to complain if we had a team of Idaho kids, you and all the others that jump on this stupid band wagon every year.

The good news is that no thread on this board has ever gone over five pages. I am so thankful that this one is about to die. Nothing intelligent could possibly be added to this thread. Anyone else who posts after this is a dummie! :D

But show some sympathy--that sort of irritation (sand) makes it a bit difficlit to move forward. :D

I am only playing, Orange.

Sorry guys but here we go again....Not one person answered my main question....Anymore recruits sign???Any LBs or RBs. Let's get another 1100 hits on this thing! GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

Nobody has answered your question and judging by the lack of announcements, I don't think so.

Your concerns about both are very, very valid.

I just wanted to commend Coach O for going to Fort Hall and watching Majic Smith as reported by the Journal. It said ISU did not have any available schollys so he was either going to Montana or UC-Riverside. This is what I mean about looking at the players earlier in their High School careers....Maybe we could keep some more home.....But I was really happy to see that Coach O made the effort to go.

If the coaching staff wouldnt make this young players false promises like they have in the passed they would start getting better recruits that would be drawn to isu,and other D1-AA schools. Instead most of the better players looked at going to a lower level to play ball! Have any of you seen the recruits going to the D2 level!!!! It seems to me that they are making a statement about the level of play at D1-AA. If that makes you mad answer me this why are the higher profile recruits that should be playing at D1 level are going D2.

footballdad said:
If the coaching staff wouldnt make this young players false promises like they have in the passed they would start getting better recruits that would be drawn to isu,and other D1-AA schools. Instead most of the better players looked at going to a lower level to play ball! Have any of you seen the recruits going to the D2 level!!!! It seems to me that they are making a statement about the level of play at D1-AA. If that makes you mad answer me this why are the higher profile recruits that should be playing at D1 level are going D2.

Who, for example? I definitely see players who could be playing D1 choosing 1AA for better chance at playing time, impact etc. not so sure I could name those who fit your profile though.

Here's just a little interesting tid bit....2008 Montana Grizzlies Roster....Idaho 4 players....Washington 14 players....California 16 players....MONTANA 56 PLAYERS!!! Like I said---Not all Idaho---MORE IDAHO---MONTANA DOES NOT RAISE BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYERS THAN IDAHO!!! The argument Idaho goes to other schools is hog wash...How many go on to play any where? Like Roar said, Could the win-loss record be any worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back