• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

CHAT ISU vs SUU????

Eric hollowell said:
Up,

This is just me. But I'd go after a young coach maybe a Luke wells who's at Utah St. He's worked under his father and has some success. I'd paint Holt and update it so it does not look like a warehouse inside. To start

Eric,

I would be doing some serious recruiting to fill the needs.

Eric:

I agree Holt needs an upgrade or more to the point to be replaced but even an upgrade takes a lot of money. I don't know where that would be coming from.

I do know that over the summer painters came in and completely repainted the main hallways / entry ways into the stadium seats.

PBP

PBP said:
Eric:

I agree Holt needs an upgrade or more to the point to be replaced but even an upgrade takes a lot of money. I don't know where that would be coming from.

I do know that over the summer painters came in and completely repainted the main hallways / entry ways into the stadium seats.

PBP

Why not play on the practice field? It may change our luck.

up for the challenge said:
PBP said:
Eric:

PBP

I assume you aren't being serious.

PBP

PBP said:
PBP said:
Eric:

PBP

PBP

PBP,

I don't think he was. but the point was how you build a program. administrations win games by hiring the right AD who hires the right coach who signs the right players. ISU has great small Town fear a major city SLC to fly into. there are things to work with but you need someone new to say there is a new day.

Eric: I actually think the fact that teams can not fly directly in Pocatello (usually) is a very big handicap not only from a scheduling standpoint since coaches simply do not want to put up with the hassle of having to bus to and from SLC but it also handicaps ISU's teams.

Add up the number of hours for example in one season the basketball teams spend on the bus to and from SLC or to and from Boise since they can't leave from Pocatello and you'd be shocked. I have.

That takes a toll over time.

And again, just my opinion, I don't think its a simple as "hire an AD who can hire coaches..." there are a lot more factors coming into play that impact ISU athletics that other schools in the Big Sky don't have to take into account.

PBP

PBP said:
Eric: I actually think the fact that teams can not fly directly in Pocatello (usually) is a very big handicap not only from a scheduling standpoint since coaches simply do not want to put up with the hassle of having to bus to and from SLC but it also handicaps ISU's teams.

Add up the number of hours for example in one season the basketball teams spend on the bus to and from SLC or to and from Boise since they can't leave from Pocatello and you'd be shocked. I have.

That takes a toll over time.

And again, just my opinion, I don't think its a simple as "hire an AD who can hire coaches..." there are a lot more factors coming into play that impact ISU athletics that other schools in the Big Sky don't have to take into account.

PBP

PBP,

sure its not magic and its not easy. But as Coach Edward famously said you play to win the games you don't just play to play, which I don't mean to put words in month but that seems to be what you are saying because if all these built obstacles which in some ways are real ISU is just playing to play. if not hell have a bake sale set up a lemonade stand get some money. I know that bit much, but you get the point.

Eric hollowell said:
PBP said:
PBP,
sure its not magic and its not easy. But as Coach Edward famously said you play to win the games you don't just play to play, which I don't mean to put words in month but that seems to be what you are saying because if all these built obstacles which in some ways are real ISU is just playing to play. if not hell have a bake sale set up a lemonade stand get some money. I know that bit much, but you get the point.

Eric:

No problem. I'm just saying to look at history and again look up the thoughtful comments from Brad, who has been around the program since the early 1980's.

The "problems" I brought up and that he has brought up aren't in "some ways real" they are real. To this point a lot of sharp people have been unable to get them fixed. I don't know what the answer is...for all I know there may not be one. That doesn't mean folks shouldn't keep trying or keep searching for answers, I'm just saying you have to look at reality and the impact it has. There are factors certainly within ISU's control and there are others that they simply have no power to change.

PBP

PBP said:
Eric hollowell said:
PBP said:
PBP,

Eric:

No problem. I'm just saying to look at history and again look up the thoughtful comments from Brad, who has been around the program since the early 1980's.

The "problems" I brought up and that he has brought up aren't in "some ways real" they are real. To this point a lot of sharp people have been unable to get them fixed. I don't know what the answer is...for all I know there may not be one. That doesn't mean folks shouldn't keep trying or keep searching for answers, I'm just saying you have to look at reality and the impact it has. There are factors certainly within ISU's control and there are others that they simply have no power to change.

PBP

PBP,

You are on he inside im just a football fan. so let me ask you this. should it be an option to drop down to D2

Eric,

The team would be competitive dropping down to D2 but unless the Big Sky forces ISU to drop down than I doubt it will happen.

I understand what PBP and others including Kramer have said why it is difficult to win at ISU. I like Kramer but is time for Kramer and his staff to go. They have tried their best but they cannot win games here at ISU. The team is not competitive and we end up in the cellar Year in year out. It is time to bring in a new coach and new assistant coaches. Change is good! Kramer and his staff will understand. I would fire Kramer now and would start looking for a new coach. I would consider bringing in an experienced JUCO coach in Southern California that knows the coaches from the high schools and coaches from the JUCO's. Perfect place to recruit and bring in some talented players to turn this program around. That is how you build a program - all about recruiting and signing the right players to fill in the At Need positions.

Eric,

The team would be competitive dropping down to D2 but unless the Big Sky forces ISU to drop down than I doubt it will happen.

I understand what PBP and others including Kramer have said why it is difficult to win at ISU. I like Kramer but is time for Kramer and his staff to go. They have tried their best but they cannot win games here at ISU. The team is not competitive and we end up in the cellar Year in year out. It is time to bring in a new coach and new assistant coaches. Change is good! Kramer and his staff will understand. I would fire Kramer now and would start looking for a new coach. I would consider bringing in an experienced JUCO coach in Southern California that knows the coaches from the high schools and coaches from the JUCO's. Perfect place to recruit and bring in some talented players to turn this program around. That is how you build a program - all about recruiting and signing the right players to fill in the At Need positions.

up,
it is true you win twith jimmy and joes and not X's and O's. We have some really good JC Coaches here. some are personal friends. im on the outside looking in so i understand its easy to say but hareder to do.

PBP,

You are on he inside im just a football fan. so let me ask you this. should it be an option to drop down to D2[/quote]

Eric:

It's my understanding that if ISU were to drop down to D-II in football they would have to leave the Big Sky Conference in everything. I don't think the conference allows sports in different levels. Different leagues...yes, but not different levels.

I could be wrong on this but I don't think so.

Let's assume I'm right...should the other successful sports at ISU, especially on the women's side over the last decade, be "penalized" (for wont of a better term) for football?

And I'm hearing by the way from a source that there is some blowback now to the notion of letting No. Dakota leave for the Summit Conference in everything but football. The talk was they would be allowed to remain in the Big Sky. Maybe that's not the case now? We'll see. I simply reference this to the discussion about dropping down to D-II. The mood around the conference may be changing on letting schools even play in different conferences. I just don't think that is an option at all. Who knows about the future but I'd think that is a very long shot.

PBP

Eric,

Up:

Just some random thoughts to your comment.

1. Mike is still under contract for another year. Everyone has read in the Journal about the budget squeeze at ISU. Question...who pays off his deal and where does the money come from?

2. You can recruit JUCO players as long as they meet the academic admissions standards now set by ISU for athletes. As I'm sure you know those are higher then the NCAA and Big Sky standards.

3. If you are inferring that the way to build a consistent program is relying on JUCO's the major drawback is, they are only around for two years. That puts a lot of pressure on a coaching staff to keep the cupboard filled. Personally in my opinion, JUCO's are like baseball free agents. You sign them when you need to plug one or two holes and are ready to "contend." You simply can't build a program around them for a long length of time...you've got to develop your own.

Again just my opinion.

PBP

Eric,

I would consider a JUCO coach like Brett Peabody at Long Beach City College. He is young, was a head Coach in High School, was the offensive coordinator at LA Harbor Junior College, and has been the Head Coach at Long Beach College with a solid record overall. He knows the coaches and teams in Southern California at the high school and JUCO levels and knows how to recruit. As a head JUCO coach you have to know how to recruit high school players and know how to get players out to the next level after playing at a JUCO. That is how you build a program which he knows how to do.

PBP said:
PBP said:
Eric:

PBP

PBP

PBP,

It is not like the fans are lining up outside Holt waiting to get in. Attendance is way down and attendance will be at a all time low for Senior Day. Terrible for the seniors and the program. Play the last game outside on the practice field and have the fans bring their beach chair. The fans will be gone by half time anyway when Weber State blows our team away in the first half sending Kramer out scratching his head wondering what happened again this season. The beat goes on...

PBP said:
PBP said:
Eric:

PBP,

It is not like the fans are lining up outside Holt waiting to get in. Attendance is way down and attendance will be at a all time low for Senior Day. Terrible for the seniors and the program. Play the last game outside on the practice field and have the fans bring their beach chair. The fans will be gone by half time anyway when Weber blows them away in the first half sending Kramer out scratching his head wondering what happened again this season.

They'll still draw several thousand fans. There is no room for that many people around the practice field and there are no toilets or concessions.

Again I'm assuming you are making a joke with this.

PBP

No joke. Portable toilets and have someone sale popcorn. Let the fans stand and walk around. Free admission. Fans would appreciate free admission and would pay admission next season until we start losing again.

At need Players come from JUCO's and believe me we need plenty on this team. Do you agree or not because if you do not agree than it will be same same next season. This program is no better than it was when Kramer started other than him correcting the APR's by giving walkons with high GPA 's scholarships.

PBP said:
PBP said:
PBP said:
Eric:

PBP,

It is not like the fans are lining up outside Holt waiting to get in. Attendance is way down and attendance will be at a all time low for Senior Day. Terrible for the seniors and the program. Play the last game outside on the practice field and have the fans bring their beach chair. The fans will be gone by half time anyway when Weber blows them away in the first half sending Kramer out scratching his head wondering what happened again this season.

They'll still draw several thousand fans. There is no room for that many people around the practice field and there are no toilets or concessions.

Again I'm assuming you are making a joke with this.

PBP

I remember last year right at this EXACT same time I came and joined this message board for the first time & I can swear I remember some notion of someone suggesting the team playing there last home game on the practice field etc etc. I wonder if that was UTFC posting that last season at this same time or maybe my memory is off

That was me about playing on the practice field. We do not deserve playing in Holt. We do not deserve taking Charter flights either.

What team in the Big Sky has lost more games than us in the last 6 years?

I would let Kramer go and give the head coaching job to one of his assistants until the AD finds a new head coach. Kramer is tired and wants to work on his boat and go fishing now.

No joke. Portable toilets and have someone sale popcorn. Let the fans stand and walk around. Free admission. Fans would appreciate free admission and would pay admission next season until we start losing again.

At need Players come from JUCO's and believe me we need plenty on this team. Do you agree or not because if you do not agree than it will be same same next season. This program is no better than it was when Kramer started other than him correcting the APR's by giving walkons with high GPA 's scholarships.

Whether I agree or not isn't the point, I'm just the color analyst for football nothing more, nothing less.

All I'm saying is you can not build a team AND sustain it for any period of time mainly with JUCO's. They are only available to play for two years, you can't build consistency and cohesion that way when you are in a situation where you have to bring in a lot of guys every two years.

That's my take on the situation. You get a few to fill in where you need them when you are ready to contend.

Obviously you have a different opinion and that's fine. And again the JUCO's have to meet ISU's higher academic requirements (which aren't changing anytime soon) AND they actually have to want to come to ISU.

It's not as easy as I think you believe it to be.

PBP

Latest posts

Back