• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Hind sight is 20/20: A look back through years

I want to congratulate you all for this thread...which is making some very cogent (there's that word again) points and arguments. You're thinking and forcing others to think. One of the the assets of a debate is to stimulate thinking on both sides of an issue...revealing background on both sides...causing participants to weigh and re-weigh their thoughts and opinions. The same kind of debate could be conducted about who should start at QB, Hill or Blum...and the thread would go on and on and on.

Spartan stats are used to prove specific points when presented in an arguement. Tigersmilk is not trying to show statistically that all coaches at ISU or even most coaches at ISU have failed. He is comparing Lewis and Zamberlin. The statistics he presented represent what he wanted to prove. Is his premise correct, yes based on the statistics he presented to support his argument. As a whole would his argument hold milk, no. He does not present anything to support any argument other than the one he wanted to prove. Does this mean anything, again no. As does the argument that Tigersmilk has an ax to grind. Having something against Zamberlin or his staff has nothing to do with the accuracy of Milks argument, it does bring into question his motives, but does not mean that anything he says is right or wrong. His assertions have to stand on their merit, to be believed or not believed as the readers choose. Let's face it, anyone who has or will write something that Zamberlin or the ISU Athletic department does not like could be accused of the same thing. The opposite could be said of "up for the challenge", who spouts nothing but fill goodiness with nothing to support his/her assertions.

If the point is to compare wins and losses by 20+ points milk is fine. BUT, each and every coach that he compares Z with had a better/bigger budgets. How can you expect Z to perform better with less? That's like my boss telling me to double revenue but he is going to firing one of my marketing guys, duh.

Why is it that Idaho has emerged from the dead? It's the same coach that has won less than a hand full of games since being at Idaho until this year. I submit to you it's all about MONEY and Z isn't getting any.

blackfoot - 'The statistics he presented represent what he wanted to prove' - thats the problem. it creates at best a circular argument (or straw man). he set out to prove what he already believed - it should be no surprise that he 'found' evidence to support what he set out to find.....

it is not, however, an accurate or appropriate use of statistical analysis

bhumble said:
If the point is to compare wins and losses by 20+ points milk is fine. BUT, each and every coach that he compares Z with had a better/bigger budgets. How can you expect Z to perform better with less? That's like my boss telling me to double revenue but he is going to firing one of my marketing guys, duh.

Why is it that Idaho has emerged from the dead? It's the same coach that has won less than a hand full of games since being at Idaho until this year. I submit to you it's all about MONEY and Z isn't getting any.

That's why I had an issue with a post over the weekend where someone (I don't remember who) suggested they see if Larry Lewis would come back...all while they acknowledged they would have to give him more money to get him here (especially for recruiting). WHY should the school pay another coach more than it's paying Coach Z? Why not just give Coach Z the extra money for recruiting and see what he can do with it? That kind of statement is a tip-off that some of the anti-Z sentiment is about more than wins and losses. I'm just sayin...

Now it's not ALL about the money. If Z got more and more money and couldn't do anything with it...then you have to take a serious look at making a change, but when you bring a guy in, then cut his budget every year and expect MORE out of him...it just doesn't make sense. Funny though, that's exactly what's happening with my job here at ISU, too. :roll:

votb said:
Now it's not ALL about the money. If Z got more and more money and couldn't do anything with it...then you have to take a serious look at making a change, but when you bring a guy in, then cut his budget every year and expect MORE out of him...it just doesn't make sense. Funny though, that's exactly what's happening with my job here at ISU, too. :roll:

That sums it up for me voice. You state it better than I. :mrgreen:

Spartan, you’re kind of a remedial aren’t you? Oddly enough you seem determined to display your lack of general knowledge, while using terms which you clearly do not understand. I will try to distil this down and feed it to you in smaller bites. Maybe then you’ll not only learn something but also refrain from displaying your mental ineptitude.

My goal was to show the community two things: 1. how the competitive nature of our program is declining and 2. how the productivity of our program is declining (notably since Zamberlin has been here). Competitive vs. Non-competitive, as I define it, is determined by a 20 Point Margin. I chose this definition because as a team down by 20 you are at the very least 3 touchdowns away from beating the other team. Now that I have this definition I look at the raw data, which doesn’t change, and I count that data to attain the results of "competitiveness". Next Productivity, as I defined it, is the Point Discrepancy between the points ISU scores minus the points ISU allows. The reason I chose point discrepancy is because it eliminates inter-game dynamics (because they are COMMON to both teams) such as weather, location, time of year, injury, ect. Now as a general principle you want to gather as many points of data as you can, this eliminates the effects of outliers (ex: a fluke 50 point defeat) and allows for regression to the mean (you should look these up, you might learn something:)). In following this principle I added up the entire season’s data on both sides (ISU’s points scored and allowed) and averaged them. In doing this we see regression toward the mean and get a truer picture of what the team looked like across the span of the entire year.

Counting data points does not make my approach flawed, what could arguably make it flawed are the operational definitions. If you want to show that I’m flawed in my research then come up with your own operational definitions, and apply the data you find to those definitions. They can be anything you want!

“sorry - your 'statistical' analysis is flawed if only because you set it up to prove your point

you begin with the premise of 'zamberlin deserves to be fired' and then work to prove the point...

i believe you are committing type 1 error”

Now let’s talk about type 1 error (another comment you made which seems to elude your mental grasp), but first... When beginning any new research one must formulate a hypothesis. Before any research can be done a hypothesis must be established. A hypothesis is the first thing you require before beginning any new research.

My hypothesis was this: Is Zamberlin is a bad coach? This hypothesis can be further defined as: Has ISU become less competitive and less productive under Zamberlin’s supervision?

After my hypothesis was establish I created a null hypothesis, which is contrasted against the alternative hypothesis. What the null hypothesis describes is assumed to be valid unless the actual behaviour of the data contradicts this assumption.

My null hypothesis was this: Is Zamberlin a good coach? Which can be further defined as: has Zamberlin made ISU more competitive and more productive?

This brings me to type 1 and type 2 errors which are used to describe possible errors in the statistical analysis process.

Type 1 error happens if you reject the null hypothesis (Zamerlin is a good coach) when the null hypothesis is true. According to Spartan I committed this error when I: “..begin with the premise of 'zamberlin deserves to be fired' “. This makes little sense as he is now describing the hypothesis process. Furthermore type 1 error can only be committed if I either consciously omit data from the test, ignore the results of the data, or the data represents a statistical anomaly (sometimes referred to as coincidence). That is to say the evidence I presented earlier is only coincidentally displaying less and less “cometitivness” and productivity. This, however, is mathematically unlikely.

Type 2 error happens when you fail to reject the null hypothesis (Zamberlin is a good coach) when it is in fact false. Given the terms of my presentation, I can say that Spartan may be guilty. “Spartan, my boy, you’re in danger of committing type 2 error.”

Admittedly, after the data was gathered and calculated, I made a decision based on my operational definitions of “competitiveness” and productivity. To some this may not be enough to determine one way or another but for me and perhaps others it will be enough to show cause for further investigation (which is the whole point of research).

“statistical evidence tells the strory one way or another - if you go looking for evidence to prove a point one way or another you are likely to find evidence to support your claim no matter what (it is a self fulfilling prophecy).”

A self-fulfilling prophecy (one of the terms you used which seems to be over your head) is a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, by the very terms of the prophecy itself, due to positive feedback between belief and behavior. This is a pro-grade (forward moving) phenomenon and for it to make sense in the context you used it I would have to have believe that Zamberlin was already bad for ISU 3 years ago when he got here. Then my belief would have to somehow affect the scores of the games played since he’s been a coach here.

Finally…

“you need to look at the data and see what it says - not decide what you want and set out to prove it”

Once again Spartin you have foot-in-mouth syndrome. I feel that you once watched a 60minutes report on “manipulation of stats in the media” or something and this is now the extent of your knowledge on subjects of anything involving statistical analysis. Here’s the deal, you form a hypothesis, then set out to disprove it while using as much available data as possible. If at the end of your research you are unable to disprove your hypothesis, you must then assume it holds value and credence. In addition research is meant to propagate further research. So if my research is inadequate then you should do further research to shed light on the truth. Just calling me a troll wont be sufficient here.

Here’s what I think Spartin. I think you’re a loyal fan of ISU, but moreover a loyal PAL of Zamberlin, perhaps even super-pals. I know you will find nothing legitimate with my approach, but I challenge you to come up with something of your own.

Come up with something that you can point to that says he is improving ISU’s competitive nature, or productivity, or something completely different of significant importance. Just try it. You might be surprised, and you’ll look like less of an idiot.

tiger milk - whats with the insults/name calling? so much for votb's comments about this conversation being 'above the fray' as it were....

you started out to prove your point and found some numbers - 'statistics' to fit the answer you were looking for.... you are creating a circular argument - he should be fired because of my proof that he should be fired...

thats not statistical analysis - thats just trying to prove your point by any means necessary

you can put it any way you want - what you presented is not statistical analysis - its just trying to prove your point regardless - and thats called axe grinding

Milk sorry I don't have all the data that you do. How many games did Lewis, McNeely, and Walsh each win in their first 2 1/2 years?

bhumble
by game 6 of the third year:

McNeely was with 8 wins 20 losses for 29% (I don't have the conference crunch just yet)

Walsh (who only lasted 2 years) had 6 wins 16 losses for 27% overall. In conference he had 3 wins and 11 losses for 21%

Lewis went for 13 wins and 14 losses 48% overall. In conference he went 6 for 11 at 35%.

Zamberlin has had 4 wins and 25 losses at 14% overall. In conference he has 3 wins and 16 losses at 16%.

-Spartan (sigh) I am sorry for calling you remedial and an idiot. I understand that sort of thing is not constructive for either side. I got carried away because I wanted to emphasize how little you seem to know about science and stuff. Anyway I can see that you won't be taking me up on my challenge so I accept your appology. Maybe one day we can find something to agree on? Looking forward to that.

The above debate reminds me just how dumb I am.

I want to make reference to something Humble said. The same folks calling for Zamberlin were the same folks calling for the head of Larry Lewis--be careful what you wish for...or something like that.

I do remember a push for Larry Lewis to be shown the door, but I can only think of one poster on this board (that currently participates) that actively lobbied for Lewis to be let go. I can remember a number of posters that WERE ONCE ACTIVE PARTICIPANTS IN THIS COMMUNITY that wanted Lewis to get the axe.

What I do remember is that a number of fans wanted to see a change at defensive coordinator. I can only speak for myself, but I remember being surprised that Lewis was let go, because he still had a year left on his contract. I never imagined that ISU would pay the money to go in a different direction. I do remember that I was hoping for some staff shakeups.

Also, I hear all these references that Zamberlin had his budget cut in recruiting. Does anyone actually have the data on this? Also, is football the only program that had budget cuts? The reason I ask is this...did O'Brien have his budget cut? If not, then I see a problem. If so, then why has he still managed to be successful and to build a competitive program?

One of the best interviews Kellis Robinett conducted (my opinion) was with Larry Lewis, earlier this year. Lewis admitted that he had an "easier" time with recruiting because of this budget and language written into his contract...

Larry Lewis Interview

The Interview: OK, so when you were at Idaho State, did it bug you that a new athletic director was coming through the door every eight months?
Larry Lewis: Truthfully, it didn’t bother me at all. My budget was set. I had some contract things that made things stable. I was on an island. I felt good and I had my program running good. It wasn’t effected by a lot of things until late. As long as we were able to run our program, I felt we were, for a number of years, doing well.

TI: But things slipped in your last few years. If you could change anything, what would it be?
LL: If you look at any program it’s not inherent to Idaho State, if you want to be successful, it’s all about keeping up with the Joneses. You can’t just be lapped in the facilities race by your competitors. It’s the money, it’s the faciilites and how you run your businesses. The better your business is run, the better you’re going to be. It starts at the top with the president. He has to make a commitment at the top. The sad thing is, with economic times right now it’s hard for eveyrone. We’re all having to make due with what we’ve got.

TI: What did you do when you had a budget?
LL: To be successful, the one thing I increased there was the recruiting budget. We recruiting better kids. If you look at it now, I guarantee that budget isn’t on par to what I had.

TI: Probably not. You think that made a big difference?
LL: A huge difference. We didn’t fly anyone into Salt Lake when I was there, we flew them all into Pocatello. We could do it for $250. You can’t do that now, it’s $500. I don’t care where you’re from, if you think it’s close because you fly in then it’s close. If you have to fly into Salt Lake and drive in it’s not close. The distance from an airport is a big difference. I thought we got better quality players than what we had had because of that. I don’t know what they have now, but we were able to bring in great athletes. Jared Allen, Pago Togafau, Jeff Charleston, Matt Guitterez, Eddie Thompson. We had kids who have moved on the pros. The proof was in the pudding.

TI: Did you like playing in Holt Arena?
LL: Holt is unique in itself. I thought it was a great place to play, because it’s different from everything else. The difference in turf was phenomenal. You need a locker room there, though. I’ve always thought if you take care of the things you have and make them the very best they can be, you’re good. I think if you let them go you’re not. It was hardest for people to come into Holt Arena and play. It’s a hard place to play. It was a big advantage for us. Players’ locker room and coaches offices could be improved, but when we were there we cleaned up what we had. We took what we had and made it as nice as it could be.

TI: Isn’t it all about facilities with recruits now, though?
LL: Unfortunately, yes that’s the way recruiting is. It’s the material. Shoot, when you’re 18 years old whatever looks better is going to entice you. The key to recruiting is getting kids to look past that and buy into your coaching staff, your tradition and the great time they’ll have in school. But unless you have a certain level of facilities the kids won’t listen and see past to that stuff. You don’t have to have the most immaculate locker room in the country, but you need the practice facility and quality locker room to get kids to listen. That’s the key to recruiting, to have your facilities be good enough that you get kids to look at the other things.

tiger milk

you received no apology from me - not sure where you thought you saw that

and all you did was move from overt insults to thinly veiled ones

as for your 'statistical analysis' - you can believe what you want - you are not performng legitimate analyses - you are in essense making shit up to prove your point... thats not science, math or even statistics... thats just ..... sad...

Thanks for that SLC I hadn't seen it before.

Folks, read what Larry is saying. He knows what he's talking about he spent 8 years here. Money, budget, facilities, and it starts with the president and I don't mean Obama.

i cant think of a single thing more significant to a recruits perspective than to arrive/depart from Pocatello by plane. The drive to salt lake at at 630 in the morning in the winter is enough to cross this place off anyone's list. i wonder if we could cut some sort of advertisement deal with the airport? i mean we have that huge ass billboard now. just throw some airline rates up there. Lewis had it right in regards to that dynamic.

good post SLC

"i cant think of a single thing more significant to a recruits perspective than to arrive/depart from Pocatello by plane. The drive to salt lake at at 630 in the morning in the winter is enough to cross this place off anyone's list."

Unquestionably, the only thing Tigersbreath, I mean Tigersmilk has said so far that makes any sense.

There have been times when our head coach has had to go out and 'recruit funding' in order to send coaches on the road to recruit the next week when the checkbook was empty.

dont take this the wrong way bengalbreath 'er bengalbeliever (that was kinda fun :)), but have you ever known John to go into his own pocket for things like these road trips. i mean $120,000 split between a wife and two kids...there should be something left over for a rental car and hotel? or is that even allowed?

There is actually no doubt that the ISU budget has been decreased in recent years. Of course this reduction in budget is painful. Is it fair to Zamberlin? Probably not, but is it fair to anyone, really?

The challenges in reduction of budgets has done little to keep teams like NAU, Eastern Washington and Weber State from moving forward and being competitive in the BSC. I know that there has to be more dynamics than this and I know it cannot be that simple, but I think that these things are problems that are not isolated to Coach Zamberlin and Idaho State University.

How does O'Brien do it? How is ISU soccer hovering around .500. How has the NEW SOFTBALL team moving forward and how is the ISU Volleyball team remaining competitive. Once again, it may be apples and oranges--but isn't everyone feeling the pinch?

Educate me, someone. I am not saying that I am right.

Unquestionably, the only thing Tigersbreath, I mean Tigersmilk has said so far that makes any sense.

I think that a number of the things that Breath has breathed do have some merit. I have yet to see anyone present an argument that is so well thought out.

It comes down to moving forward or moving backwards. Seriously, can anyone make an argument that shows anything different.

An AXE TO GRIND is not a valid argument. I know, I have used it myself in the past.

Latest posts

Back