• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

QB G. Galloway mislead by ISU signs with Bobcats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At VOTB's prompting, I have been in touch with Idaho State to get ISU's side of the story. I'll recap what I have learned later this week as well as share my opinions as to why this whole thing is relevant. Stay close...

My response to the apparent mistake ... wow.
My response to the vitriol being displayed on the Den ... wow.

Sounds like a significant mistake was made by the staff member in charge of academics and APR. Perhaps the mistake is understandable w/APR complexities, perhaps the responsibility should be shared by Grayson or his JC, perhaps not. In any case, I am quite confident that the ISU Athletic Department is not deliberately trying to screw over athletes or mislead Bengal fans. I suspect Coach Z is disappointed to lose Grayson and will have his own words with whoever made the mistake.

To those who think the Athletic Department should come forward and publicize every mistake it makes, get real. Some mistakes demand a public explanation or apology, many do not. Maybe an explanation/apology is due here, but the idea that ISU is misleading us by not publicly addressing (i.e. "sweeping under the rug") every complaint, rumor or mistake is ridiculous.

That being said, I look forward to Cub's response after contacting the Athletic Department for its side of the story. Cub, I am also interested to know whether Grayson was on campus during this time when he apparently called but did not receive a response from Tingey or Coach Z. If he was in town, he should been in the AD's office in person getting answers. If not, he deserved a thorough explanation by phone.

Grayson has not been in Pocatello since his recruiting trip.

Two people really got screwed here, Grayson Galloway and Phil Earley.

I concur, every problem that occurs within the ISU Athletic Department is not the business of this community nor do I expect them to make a public statement regarding every issue.

However, this problem has been mishandled from the beginning to the end. In fact; a self reported NCAA violation has been submitted to the NCAA by Idaho State. Although not likely at this point--future NCAA violations may have taken place from what I am being told.

To date, nobody has gone "on the record" to address these questions. I have asked these questions of the SID, but he cannot comment. I have also asked these questions of John Zamberlin, Jeff Tingey, Joel Vickery and Frank Mercogliano without response to date.

Please consider my 2nd and 3rd request public:

When did this whole PE credit change happen or has it always been in place?

Is this kid simply a victim of the new academic plan?

What led ISU to determine that Grayson was not eligible to compete at the Division I level?

With regards to the reply that was posted on the ISU blog, would this be a FERPA violation in the opinion of Idaho State?

If Idaho State believes that an NCAA violation has happened, would the university self report the violation?

Has the NCAA indicated to Idaho State that they are monitoring this situation?

Finally, I am sure that ISU has read my posts on the Bengal Den. If I am not representing the truth in any way shape or form—could you please inform me?

I don’t wish to harm the football program if my assumptions and findings are erroneous.

-Cub

no body owes you a response to any of your 'questions' - you ain't a lawyer or a relative and it's none of your business

mr. mountain - let me introduce you to mr. molehill

just cuz you got your panties in an uproar don't mean any of it (or your version/opinion) matters

spartan said:
no body owes you a response to any of your 'questions' - you ain't a lawyer or a relative and it's none of your business

mr. mountain - let me introduce you to mr. molehill

just cuz you got your panties in an uproar don't mean any of it (or your version/opinion) matters

You are right, Idaho State owes me nothing. However, they do owe Grayson Galloway and apology and some answers to his questions.

Next, if you read this thread you can see that two Idaho State employees suggested that two sides of the story exist. They also insinuate that Grasyon shares in this blame of what happened. Getting the whole truth is what I am interested in. If I have made a mistake, I will surely admit my mistakes--just maybe in private to folks that it is not relevant to. I am now referring to this practice as the way of the Bengal.

You see Spartan, you bring nothing to this conversation but the same argument that you bring to almost every thread you comment on. You simply exist here to disagree. Post away.

bengalfanatic said:
Cub,

What is the NCAA violation that you are talking about that ISU has self reported?

Idaho State cannot comment anywhere in the detail that they did regarding this situation. That includes this message board and the ISU Bengal Blog. From what I am learning and being told Grayson's situation was one that can only be discussed with folks that are relevant to both academics and eligibility. So, the HC, Compliance, SID, AD, School President, Instructors and things like that can discuss this matter . The Cheer Squad leader, Lawn Maintenance Manager, PA person and folks like that should not be privy to any of this information. Nor can they imply that they have seen documentation and details regarding a students eligibility.

I got an e-mail from Jeff Tingey yesterday and I wanted to share it:

Troy,

Thank you for your interest in ISU Athletics. Extensive efforts were made by the football staff on behalf of the student-athlete to find a suitable school. We’ve made apologies to the student-athlete and we are sad to see him go but wish him the best in his academic and athletic future. Beyond that though, this is a matter between the University and the student-athlete and we are moving beyond.

Jeff Tingey

Although this is a bit disingenuous, this is the correct way to handle someone (like me) pressing for details.

Something else I was told and learned along the way:

The Family Education Rights Privacy Act forbids me from having any conversation about Grayson unless he is sitting in the room with us while we are talking about him.

Anyhow, just a few giblets this morning. I've got info coming out my ears and it is going to take me a few days to digest it and come up with a way to present it.

In the meantime, wouldn't it be a great idea if ISU called Grayson and let him know what happened, admit the mistakes and apologize without condition? Then, tell him what they are doing to keep this from happening to someone else in the future? It might make this die down a bit.

Trivia Question: Soccer Analysis or Wine Studies? Which would ISU choose?

i haven't posted here for quite some time. Spartan is still doing what he does...annoy.

CUB is still doing what he does....stand up to anyone or anything (university) that hurts our student athletes.

I'm quite shocked by the actions of Frank and Coach Z and our A.D.

Face it...for the future, we are doomed by an internally sinking ship!!!!

As some others here have said, GO ORANGE (the players)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not the corrupt administration.

I wasn't foing to post, but ran accross a quote that I felt summed up the situation and regime. Spartan makes a good point about this kid not being a bengal. But the way the situation has been handled is also a relevant point.
“Losers make excuses. Bottom line, you either (win) or you don’t.” willie taggert western kentucky footballscoop.com).
When it comes down to it, the staff and admin always seem to make an excuse. The schedule was difficult, we're rebuilding, injuries, not enough support in admin/community, and on and on and on. Bottom line is this is a losing team, coached that way, run that way. To expect a different result... Unrealistic.

Good points, Dude. However, I think Galloway was a Bengal the minute he signed the letter of intent.

I am just working on all the e-mails and transcripts of phone conversations and things of that nature and then I will post some final comments on the issue. What I can tell you so far--communication at Idaho State between the football program and academics and compliance was dreadful. Idaho State really could have did a better job getting things figured out as this whole thing was mismanaged from the onset.

ISU told Grayson that he was not eligible due to an NCAA ruling--which proved to be not accurate. Now the athletic department is telling folks that Grayson could not come to ISU because he enrolled in too many PE courses after his academic plan was in place. This is where the twist comes in and this is where things get pretty sad--on a communication front from Idaho State.

This has more to do with APR issues than Grayson Galloway. Idaho State had a handful of letter winners leave the team after the spring. Plus, they had a number of kids in the CURRENT recruiting (2010 JC's and 4 year transfers) class that were enrolled in school and participated in Spring Ball that needed summer school (around half) in order to play football this fall. Beyond that ISU had a large number of letter winners that were toeing the line to stay eligible as well. Kids that needed things to go perfect in the summer to be ready to go in the fall. The risk of losing a single APR point was too much for Idaho State and they wanted to limit risk as much as possible. The time frame between ISU getting drilled for APR penalties and and Galloway being told that he could not play anywhere in the NCAA--five days.

This program continues to lose ground because of lack of competence, bad communication and poor decision making.

We will look at this situation in way more depth, shortly. I believe you will be shaking your head over the ignorance and arrogance that took place here.

So Cub (or anyone who can answer), 3 questions...

How was Phil Earley Screwed? (Not that I disagree)

and

Will our APR penalties take place during fall camp at all? If so, what will the changes be?

and last,

If our APR got drilled about a month ago...what is our situation now? After more guys have left the program in the last few weeks such as: Tubotein Taylor, Skylar Morgan, Andrew Benavides and rumor of Rob Tramonte not coming back? These sure can not help our APR, these were all scholarship guys!

bengalfanatic said:
So Cub (or anyone who can answer), 3 questions...

How was Phil Earley Screwed? (Not that I disagree)
PHIL CAME TO ISU AND RELIED ON THE INFORMATION THAT ISU GAVE HIM TO GUIDE GRAYSON. BECAUSE ISU COULDN'T GET ITS SHIT STRAIGHT--EARLEY GETS CAUGHT BEING THE COMMUNICATOR OF ALL THE BS TO GRAYSON. EARLEY ENDS UP FALLING ON HIS SWORD BECAUSE ISU IS KEEPS CHANGING WHAT HAS TO BE DONE IN REGARDS TO THE GALLOWAY SITUATION.

and

Will our APR penalties take place during fall camp at all? If so, what will the changes be?
I AM NOT SURE OF ANY--AT LEAST SHORT TERM. TO BE HONEST I AM NOT SURE HOW THAT WORKS. WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT TOO MANY KIDS LEAVING OR BEING INELIGIBLE WILL HURT IN THE LONG RUN. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT AT THIS RATE--REDUCED PRACTICE TIME AND REDUCED SCHOLARSHIPS COULD BE A PRETTY REGULAR THING FOR IDAHO STATE. ALSO, IT IS COMMON FOR TEAMS WITH APR DIFFICULTIES TO GIVE SCHOLARSHIPS FROM DEPARTED STUDENTS TO WALK ONS. WHY? BECAUSE THEY HAVE TIME TO GAUGE IF THEY ARE SUCCESSFUL IN THE CLASSROOM AND ON TRACK TO GRADUATE. DEPTH BECOMES MORE OF A PROBLEM BECAUSE YOU CANNOT TAKE THE RISK OF BEING DOUBLE DIPPED BY BRINGING IN SOMEONE THAT MAY HAVE ACADEMIC ISSUES. THIS APR ISSUE IS LIKE A BIG, MUDDY PIT. YOU CAN CLIMB ALMOST ALL THE WAY OUT--GET A LITTLE RAIN AND SLIP RIGHT BACK TO THE BOTTOM.

and last,

If our APR got drilled about a month ago...what is our situation now? After more guys have left the program in the last few weeks such as: Tubotein Taylor, Skylar Morgan, Andrew Benavides and rumor of Rob Tramonte not coming back? These sure can not help our APR, these were all scholarship guys!

KIDS LEAVING OR NOT BEING ELIGIBLE WILL HURT ISU IN A VERY DRAMATIC WAY. I AM NOT SURE OF THE SITUATION NOW, BUT WE WILL BE ABLE TO TELL A BIT MORE AS CAMP OPENS. ONE THING FOR CERTAIN, ISU CANNOT REPLACE PEOPLE LIKE THEY USE TO. THEY HAVE LESS SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE AND THE APR PLAN RESTRICTS THE TYPES OF KIDS THEY RECRUIT. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT--IF YOU GET A KID LATE--THERE IS A REASON AND THAT REASON OFTEN IS OF THE ACADEMIC NATURE. THINGS ARE TOUGH NOW, BUT THEY WILL JUST GET TOUGHER AND TOUGHER UNTIL THEY FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET IT FIXED. GETTING IT FIXED MAY REQUIRE RECRUITING BETTER STUDENTS. RECRUITING BETTER STUDENTS MAY LEAD TO LESS RESULTS ON THE FIELD. ISU MAY END UP HAVING TO GO BACKWARDS TO GO FORWARD. MAYBE NOT SHORT TERM, BUT LONG TERM.

Skylar Morgan is apparently going on a mission, certainly, a player leaving under such circumstances does not count against APR, does it?

spudbowl said:
Skylar Morgan is apparently going on a mission, certainly, a player leaving under such circumstances does not count against APR, does it?

I don't believe that it does.

From what I understand Jeff Tingey left a message on Grayson's phone last Friday. Galloway will try to get in touch with Jeff this week. The way I see it, if ISU owns up to its mistakes and communicates in good faith with the kid this thread may be closed. We will see.

That is all we asked for in the beginning. Admit the mistake-the wrong-the misleading orders-the screw up or whatever you want to call it and say that you are sorry and that you will do everything in your power to make it not happen again. I think the pride issue got in the way with some and they didn't want to eat crow.

Well when you have a struggling program you have to do everything in your power to keep people happy. You do everything in your power to make it RIGHT with that individual and the community. We represent our community and they represent our community. We make things right and I am very glad to know that Tingey has made the phone call. I hope that the HC Zamberlin has made the phone call too!? It is a reflection of who we are and what we are made of.

Damage was done and it will sting for a bit. I have talked to individuals that heard about it and they have second guessed ISU now and they told me they will think twice where their son goes now. Both young men are very talented also. But like Cub said in an earlier post this will surely be better for all involved and the community in the long run. I hope it makes us a better and much stronger University.

And Sparty, this is ISU related and you can take that to the bank!

the kid was never a bengal - nobody owes him sh**
screw him

i simply cannot believe all you folks who have lined up behind this dipsh** kid and against idaho state
this is not an issue outside of a few misguided minds who seem to think this kid matters

apr is not going to be an issue from this - neither is our win/loss catagory

face it - the reality is that isu football stinks right now and many of you are looking for someone or thing to blame...... oddly, you've chosen to blame the program and the people who make up that program...
and in my opinion that makes you fair weather fans.....

amazing... just absolutely amazing....

Wrong again, Spartan you are clueless on this one.

Don't think for a second that kids on the team don't know what happened here. Don't think for a second parents haven't heard either. Finally, you are mistaken if you don't think that folks in the athletic department aren't up in arms over what happened and how things were handled.

Truth is--people want accountability from Zamberlin and the football program. The expect the same accountability from a program that demands as much from its own student athletes.

The fact that Jeff Tingey had the balls to call this kid gives me hope. It also illustrates the depth and scope of this issue. If this was a dead issue and not relevant, why make the call?

There are clearly bigger problems than just the Galloway story, and I hope Zamberlin and his staff can get their act together and more professionally represent the university, both on the field and in things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back