• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Recruiting...

There are two types of walk-on, the recruited walk-on who walk-ons with the understanding they will receive money in the future, if they are good enough to be offered. The other is just a kid who walks on hoping for playing time. There is never a guarantee that a walk-on will receive money or playing time, most do not. In reality, most walk-ons who do receive money, only receive money if they are academically sound in their last year and are participating on one of the units, i.e., special teams, defense, or offense. At the FCS level, they divide two or three scholarships to give these players money. Another reality is that you may find one or two walk-ons who are good enough to receive a full scholarship every year or so, but not all walk-ons meet this criterion. In fact, most do not. Boise loves to tell everyone how many walk-ons get money to play football. They do not mention the thirty other kids who walked on and did not receive money. They do not mention that most walk-ons receiving money at Boise were the preferred walk-ons. It is the same at every school, with numbers being the difference. The problem at ISU is; to fix our APR problem we gave some high academic walk-ons scholarships, most of these players on defense. No team can lose six scholarships then give 10 walk-ons money and not have it affect the play on the field for the next couple of years. Of the former walk-ons who we have on scholarship now, only three of them are players I believe should be on full rides. Two or three should be splitting a scholarship with the others still paying their own way. You do not win football games with a team made up of former walk-ons. Yes, you can find a walk-on occasionally who is good enough to receive money. No, you are not going to find these players every year. If you have a bunch of former walk-ons playing as starters on your team, you are going to have issues, thus our defense that could not stop anyone from running the ball. One game our front seven was make up of former walk-ons, and we wondered why we had issues with stopping the run.

Kramer really had no other choice but to give out scholarships to walk-ons that had good grades to correct the APR problems. I am sure the walk-ons appreciated the scholarships.

I read in a post that there are only 11 or 12 full scholarships available for 2013. Is that true as that seems to be a low number?

Scout reports that Domenic Toliver WR/CB Gardena HS has been offered and will be visiting next weekend http://www.hudl.com/athlete/881437/#highlights/16317383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scout.com also reports that Domenic has been offered a scholarship by North Dakota State. He will be visiting North Dakota State the following weekend after visiting Idaho State. How can coach Kramer sale Domenic on Idaho State as North Dakota State went 14 - 1 in 2012, has won two consecutive conference championships, and has won two consecutive FCS national championships ? Domenic has to be one of the top recruits for coach Kramer.

I believe that he is taking a trip to North Dakota not NDSU. Anyway have you been to Fargo this time of year it makes Pocatello seem tropical. North Dakota not for everyone.

When the team was recently in North Dakota it was nine degrees at night. At the same time it was below zero in Pocatello.

Just sayin'

PBP

isubengalfan said:
I believe that he is taking a trip to North Dakota not NDSU. Anyway have you been to Fargo this time of year it makes Pocatello seem tropical. North Dakota not for everyone.

How bad is it? Winter comes and stays, not like Pokey. About 15 years ago, some guy went missing. Looked all over the place for the dude. Didn't find him til spring. Died in a snowstorm. Well preserved. True story.

Scout.com reports Domenic Toliver has an offer from North Dakota State and not North Dakota. I doubt we will be able to sign Domenic as he has an excellent chance at getting a ring with North Dakota State. He only has two offers at this time which are Idaho State and North Dakota State. If Cal Poly San Luis Obisp or Las Vegas offers in the next week or so I would guess that he would give his verbal to Cal Poly or Las Vegas as it is only a 5 hour drive from the Los Angeles area. If not, look for Domenic to be a Bison at North Dakota State. We have a slim to none chance at signing Domenic but it is a chance as Domenic is taking his visit to Idaho State. Good luck...

Scout.com College Football Recruiting Search

WR NR NR Domenic Toliver
(Gardena Senior HS)
Gardena, CA 5-11/165 Cal Poly, Idaho State, North Dakota State, UNLV, Youngstown State

Schools of Interest:
School Interest Level Offer? Attended Camp? Visit Date Signed LOI?
Cal Poly Med Interest No None
Idaho State Med Interest Yes 01/18/2013
North Dakota State Med Interest Yes 01/25/2013
UNLV Med Interest No None
Youngstown State Med Interest No None

If I was him and good enough, I would pick UNLV from that list. Football season isn't really that bad. Coming from Gardena ,California to either one of these won't matter much,speaking of Poky and NDS. How many of you have been to Gardena? It's just a suburb of LA.

He may figure that he has a much better chance of getting playing time at ISU than at another school. That would be a big influence on a decision if I were making it. Let's see what happens.

According to the Journal:

Committed:OG NR Jeremiah Hazard (Coeur D'Alene HS) Coeur d'Alene, ID 6-3/220 Idaho State

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/article_4b822e7e-5d4e-11e2-a413-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says he will play OLB at 6-3 250.

Another from the Journal:

http://pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/chase/?p=314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would appear that Coach Kramer is sticking to his recruiting plan by going after high school players. I think that it is a great recruiting plan for the future but I do not see how we will have winning seasons in the 2013 and 2014 seasons. I personally would have liked to seen a 50 / 50 split between high school players and JUCO players for the 2013 and 2014 recruiting seasons.

Up:

I can only speculate on your question. I have no "inside" knowledge.

In no particular order:

Remember ISU in an effort to avoid ANY APR or academic problems with the NCAA in the future has raised athletic admission standards. They are now higher than the NCAA and the Big Sky have mandated. This "raising the bar" reduces the number of athletes who could get into ISU in the first place. (And remember those higher standards applies to all athletic sports at ISU, not just football.) Mike has talked about the fact that very, very often, athletes go to JUCO's in the first place because of academic issues.

Also if you have listened to Mike on the coaches show, more than once he has repeated that for his system you have to have a minimum of over a thousand days involved in the process at a specific position in order to truly be a "Big Sky caliber starter." If you get a large number of JUCO players (who for the most part are only allowed to play two seasons) they can't possibly have over a 1,000 days in his system at a specific position.

Mike may or may not be taking gamble by simply recruiting and signing a large number of high school players (many from Idaho) as opposed to expanding his recruiting / talent base to include JUCO players, dropdown's and more from other states that have a more successful history of producing football talent.

But the fact does remain, and in my opinion, it's a big one... that this guy is a three time Big Sky Conference coach of the year who turned around doormat programs at Eastern Washington and Montana State... agree or not, he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Time will tell.

PBP

I agree that JUCO players are considered "at need" players and I do agree that JUCO players do not build programs; however, JUCO players do play a role in the Bengal program otherwise Kramer would not sign them the last three years.

blackfootbengal said:
According to the Journal:

Committed:OG NR Jeremiah Hazard (Coeur D'Alene HS) Coeur d'Alene, ID 6-3/220 Idaho State

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/article_4b822e7e-5d4e-11e2-a413-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says he will play OLB at 6-3 250.

From the Coeur d'Alene Press:

"I really feel comfortable with the team already," Hazard said. "One of my goals when first looking at schools was to find a program filled with people I wanted to surround myself with and Idaho State seems to be the program to fulfill that goal. ISU has not only been recruiting good football players and coaches, but good people. One thing I have learn from my experiences with (Viking) coach (Shawn) Amos and every other coach and player I have been associated with is that you cannot have a successful football team without genuinely good people. (ISU) coach (Mike) Kramer has set a positive, friendly, and driven tone within the program and I really wanted to be part of that."

Hazard said he plans to major in engineering, and said he liked Pocatello and eastern Idaho because he is an avid outdoorsman eager to take advantage of the many recreational areas.

Hazard said he also received interest from Montana, Idaho, Washington State, Carroll College and numerous other colleges across the Northwest.

OCVarsity.com reported last month ISU made an offer to receiver Cole Robinson...

Capistrano Valley wide receiver Cole Robinson (6-4, 190) has been offered by Idaho State, Cougars football coach Matt Poston confirmed.

Robinson had 56 receptions for 782 yards for the Cougars this past season. He had four 100-yard receiving games

Read more: OCVarsity.com: Capo Valley Receiver Picks Up FCS Offer

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1072671/#athletics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back