• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The PAC/MWC Dominoes Begin to Fall

Well, it’s been a long time, but with realignment I’m like a fly to a flame…

I think we find out rather soon whether our future is FBS or FCS. That being said, I also think it won’t be long till we learn what the FBS and FCS will become going forward. Merger, reclassification, etc…

There are so many moving pieces it’s hard to keep track of thoughts and opinions. If we can partner with a third party to help pay for the stadium, yay for us. If not, I wonder if the MWC exit fee windfall would help pay for a renovation/rebuild? If the MWC is desperate enough (I think they just might be) I hope a hefty loan can help upgrade Hornet and go towards a real arena or help with Golden 1 rent. EDIT: Someone from the school get on the horn with the Sharks and start talking about a partnership for a 5-8k arena for a Sharks ECHL or AHL team! (Move the ‘Cuda to the ECHL?)

Talking with some of the only remaining SJSU contacts I still have, it sounds like they want and/or are pushing for our inclusion. I know SJSU is piiiiiiiised Fresno and San Diego got the Pac invites. My dad and his friend used to tell me all the time SJSU was a serious potential target to become part of the Pac 10 (pre Arizonas). Even had a 60k stadium renovation ready to go. I thought they were full of it, but recently found out they were right! Anyway, made that comment to say the blue chip Spartan faithful are seething at the fact they got skipped over again (I believe Cal was what blocked them last time?) and for FRESNO and San Diego. But, the school really is to blame. We/they pissed around in the PCAA/Big West too long and weren’t ambitious enough to grow the program. And then they gutted Spartan Stadium and made it the joke that it is today, a really good FCS stadium, but piss poor FBS (I can’t explain how fvcking pissed I still am about that).

MWC loosing its “jewel” programs will mean it’ll have to look at alternative plans to remain viable or profitable. Our market comes into play here. We aren’t very relevant in it, but we can sell the potential of it. It would have to be followed by a promise of significant marketing and infrastructure investment. Its west coast location and two(ish) hour travel distance to two of the members is also something that will have to be considered. It will also depend on whether MWC is able to make the realization it isn’t a power G5 anymore. It’s not the western American. They have to realize they are the MAC or Sun Belt of the west, and be okay with that. Try to emulate the Fun Belt rather than chase a meth dream of chasing the power five.

Okay, my thoughts are starting to venture a bit so I’ll say this. Go MWC (can we pleeeeease stop the Pac fever dream) or stay BSC, the investment has to be made regardless. This program will fall far, far behind if we don’t. Become irrelevant. Just look at fellow “power” FCS programs, and you’ll see facilities and perks that are rivaling G5 and even some lower P5 programs. There’s still a ton of stuff to be resolved and news to drop, but Sac cannot be complacent. Either dive in all the way and make the investment to be a real FBS school, or dive all the fvck way in and be a real FCS school!

Okay. Current rant over

I think FBS / FCS reclassification won’t occur until 2030 which is when majority of the refresh of athletic conferences have contracts coming up for renewal.
Then the P5 might flex and try to thin the crowd in the larger pool of college footballs revenue stream.

This guy is connected. I don't know what this means though.
My guess/hope is that it means we've received an invite (terms of membership) and have a deadline to accept or reject it. I sure hope it's not a countdown to something like the release of a stadium rendering or a Sac12 message...although, it would be "so Hornet" if it was just something along those lines.

My guess/hope is that it means we've received an invite (terms of membership) and have a deadline to accept or reject it. I sure hope it's not a countdown to something like the release of a stadium rendering or a Sac12 message...although, it would be "so Hornet" if it was just something along those lines.
I don’t think an invite is coming until the UNLV/Air Force decision is settled. But I have a feeling that there’s been active conversation between Sac State and the Mountain West

I don’t think an invite is coming until the UNLV/Air Force decision is settled. But I have a feeling that there’s been active conversation between Sac State and the Mountain West
Both conferences are below the FBS minimum with the Pac most likely getting to 8 at the expense of the MW. There is no reason for the MW to wait on issuing invites to backfill, especially if they have exhausted inquires with FBS targets (NMSU & UTEP).

Both conferences are below the FBS minimum with the Pac most likely getting to 8 at the expense of the MW. There is no reason for the MW to wait on issuing invites to backfill, especially if they have exhausted inquires with FBS targets (NMSU & UTEP).
it’s more on how much $ they can/willing to offer Sac State. They’re in an active lawsuit with the PAC now. If both UNLV and AFA leaves, there would be A LOT more $ to offer for the call up.

it’s more on how much $ they can/willing to offer Sac State. They’re in an active lawsuit with the PAC now. If both UNLV and AFA leaves, there would be A LOT more $ to offer for the call up.
Interesting. I wouldn't expect anything from the MW other than them to pick up the $5M reclassification fee, and even that might just be hedged against future conference payouts.

Latest posts

Back