• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

New Head Coach?

Who Will Be Sac State's Next Men's Basketball Head Coach

• Joe Cravens

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Cameron Dollar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jim Shaw

• Kyle Smith

• Guy Beach

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Clay Moser

• Jared Barrett

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Zac Claus

• Other

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
...reality check...the MANDATORY qualities for the next coach, according to Wanless, posted here previously: "...understand recruiting, and the role it takes in building a basketball program...a very strong fundamental teacher of the game...a very good strategist...somebody that can create a synergy between the men's basketball program and the Sacramento community." Only thing missing here is perhaps fundraising, which may be part of synergy with the community. Given these requirements, and not taking a thing away from the other fine candidates, how do any of these guys beat Katz out of the job?

Brian Katz is the perfect choice for Sac St. A agree 100% with those of you who have said all those great things about Brian as a coach and a person. He will bring instant credibility to Sac St. He will bring in not only talented kids, but they also have great character and work ethic. There are so many California JC coaches past and present that have chosen to stay at that level. Most coaches do not take JC jobs just to move up. Coaches at all college levels, especially D-1 will not hesitate to tell you that California JC coaches have great jobs. They are some of the most coveted jobs in basketball. The "full time" JC coaches (those that are full time instructors) make good money and have great schedules for teaching, coaching, and having a family. I know for a fact that Brian would take a huge pay cut to take the job for $80,000 a year.

hoopfan32 said:
I know for a fact that Brian would take a huge pay cut to take the job for $80,000 a year.

He would save a boatload in gas $$.
:lol:

The job paid $88K, and the job posting said salary negotiable. The school has to increase the current amount. It was proven that to have a person of the Sperbeck caliber, you gotta expand the standard 'state base pay' that was prevalent during the Gerth holocaust. If we can build a consisent program, sellout's will dominate and there will be a NEED for a new arena.

I'm impressed at all the positive statements being made about Katz, but hey, it could all be the same person posting them. :roll:

I thought Wanless said "national" recruiting experience. How does Coach Katz fit that profile? The farthest he traveled to recruit his current players was Santa Monica. Not only that but if he has to take a pay cut just to come here what's he going to do about retirement now that he's in his 50s. He's already got 15 years in where he is. Wanless can't keep him whole by replacing a package like that and he can't make it up in annual compensation either. So he takes a pay cut and loses his retirement package to take a job that will require him to do what he has shown limited desire to do which is to hit the road on the 24/7 national recruiting trail. I say that because it's extremely grueling and it never seems to end. That's what it's going to take to get the players Sac State needs, not just the local kids. I doubt Katz is truly up to that, but it's possible I suppose. He might be better off staying where he's at for another five years or so so he can cash out at 20 years then do what he wants.

I think that Wanless was referring to a "Nationwide Search" for a coach. We really don't need to recruit across the nation to find players, there is plenty talent here in California. If fact we are not in the position to compete for quality players nationwide and then there is the question of out of state tuition. The current roster shows only two players from out of state, one from Detroit and one from Cameroon. As to the question of why Coach Katz would leave a comfortable JC position for Sac State, he probably has strong ties to the area and has a very short list of jobs he would leave Delta for and Sac State is on it. This is probably the same reason he has not chosen to apply for other jobs in the 15 years at Delta. The same was probably true for Coach Sperbeck, at Foothill. I think that it speaks to the stability of these two coaches.
I would rather see a coach comfortable in the area, want to be at the school and look to building a quality program than someone trying to use it as a stepping stone to bigger jobs. My mind is still open, but it looking like Katz is the logical choice for the job.

The biggest issue with Katz will probaby be the long term financial issue IMO. But the national recruiting advantage is huge in the Big Sky. Look at the rosters of the three top schools who are the only teams with winning records. Very few of their recruits came from within their home states OR California. They came from all over the southwest and the midwest. I counted 8 Californians on the top three team rosters. The vast majority of the other spots are filled by recruits from other states in those regions not the home state.

If Sac State truly wants to compete and field teams that win consistently it will have to do likewise and broaden its recruiting net to far outside the state. That's what the other successful schools have done and they aren't getting their players from here either. There's too much competition in this state already for them. As you move toward the bottom of the Big Sky you begin to see more players stay in state but sill not really more than 5 or 6 per team. National recruiting is exactly what this school needs. The league is just too competitive these days to overlook that factor.

507e_1.JPG

Cravens has been out of coaching for two seasons and hasn't had a good year in more than five years. Why is that the right direction to go in again?

I just heard that Ryan Looney has some interest in your job. Is that true? He is the current Head Men's Basketball Coach at Eastern Oregon University. He was mentioned for the Eastern Washington job a year ago. His background is pretty impressive. This year his team won the Cascade Collegiate Conference Championship for the first time in school history, advanced to the NAIA National Tournament for the first time in school history, and he was named Conference Coach of the Year. This guy has experience building a program. Check it out at http://www.eou.edu/athletics! Please let me know if this is true?

Here's the latest. Dozens of resumes from qualified coaches have been recieved. Wanless has reportedly said he prefers someone with Head Coaching experience at the D1 level. Several returning players are pushing hard for popular former assistant David Grace. Arizona Coach Lute Olson reportedly called on behalf of Grace. While the chances of the AD interviewing any former Sac State Assistant are pretty low I think he needs to at least give him a shot.

TheMayor said:
Here's the latest. Dozens of resumes from qualified coaches have been recieved. Wanless has reportedly said he prefers someone with Head Coaching experience at the D1 level. Several returning players are pushing hard for popular former assistant David Grace. Arizona Coach Lute Olson reportedly called on behalf of Grace. While the chances of the AD interviewing any former Sac State Assistant are pretty low I think he needs to at least give him a shot.

Mayor, you have no credibility. I know for a fact that the majority of the team isn't even considering David Grace as a replacement. He won't even get an interview. I have plenty of contact with currently players and know what they're looking for in a coach. The latest number of applications is OVER 80 in total. Here's a State Hornet article.

Jenkins out, who will be in?
Jerome Jenkins' contract was not extended for Sac State's men's basketball coaching position on March 7
Fernando Gallo
Issue date: 3/19/08 Section: Sports
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1
Media Credit: Martin Wood and Claire Padgett
[Click to enlarge]

Media Credit: Brittany DeWester
Former Sac State men's basketball coach Jerome Jenkins was honored Feb. 16 in the University Union. His son Jalen holds onto him as they listen to kind words spoken by the guest speakers.
[Click to enlarge]

For eight years Sacramento State students have seen a familiar face patrolling the sidelines during men's basketball games in the Hornets Nest: that of coach Jerome Jenkins. But when the basketball squad returns to action next season, there will be a new face leading the Hornets out onto the hardwood.

Sac State Athletic Director Terry Wanless decided not to renew Jenkins' expiring contract on March 7, ending the coach's tenure with the university.

"It just became evident to me that our program had kind of stalled out," Wanless said. "I just didn't feel, based upon our current success level, that we could move the program forward the way I feel it should."

Last season Jenkins led the team to a 4-24 record (2-14 in conference), notching his lowest overall win total as Sac State's head coach and matching his worst conference record. The Hornets also failed to qualify for the Big Sky Conference Tournament for the second straight year.

Despite the lopsided win-loss record, freshman guard Vinnie McGhee said he was not expecting the change.

"(Jenkins) was actually getting ready for next season," McGhee said via telephone. "We had talks about what we're going to do next season, about who he was going to bring in and stuff like that. So I was surprised that they let him go."

Junior forward Loren Leath said over the phone that the move did not come as much of a shock to him.

"I knew that it was the last year of his contract and we didn't do too good," Leath said. "I mean, it was kind of a given."

Even though it was the last year of Jenkins' contract, Wanless said a decision wasn't made on Jenkins' future until after the season ended on March 2.

"I wanted to give coach every opportunity to give his best effort," Wanless said.

Upon the completion of every season Wanless said he sits down and evaluates the program, and it was during that period that he determined that a change was necessary.

Leath said he understood Wanless' assertion once he heard the athletic director's reasoning for the decision.

"When Dr. Wanless expressed to me that he wanted to go to another level and go in a different direction … I guess I agreed with him at that point," Leath said.

When asked if qualifying for the conference tournament might have saved Jenkins' job, Wanless said that although he doesn't like to comment on speculative issues, a tournament appearance would have been "a factor in (Jenkins') favor."

McGhee said that Jenkins was a good coach, but sometimes had problems with his players.

"Some of the players just wanted to rebel and that's why things went how they went his year," McGhee said. "Sometimes players didn't want to listen."

"He had his own way of (communicating)," Leath said. "People probably took offense to a couple of things he said but he meant well, all in all."

During his time with the Hornets, none of Jenkins' teams finished a season with an overall record over .500 and he never took the Hornets to the conference title game or the NCAA Tournament. Jenkins did experience some success with Sac State, however, including a span from 2002-06 in which he led the Hornets to four consecutive conference tournament appearances.

"I want to complement coach Jenkins," Wanless said. "He certainly left the program better than he found it."

Wanless also said the program has some talented players on the roster and can return to the conference tournament next season.

"You have to be realistic," Wanless said about the team's future. "It's not going to be instantaneous. It's going to take time to build a solid foundation for the future of the program."

Among the players returning are McGhee, who was named the Big Sky Conference Freshman of the Year this season, and Leath, who led the team in scoring this season with 13.1 points per game and has averaged 12.5 points per game in his Sac State career. Overall the Hornets stand to lose three seniors, of which only guard Clark Woods started more than 11 games during the year.

"We have a whole bunch of weapons," McGhee said. "To me, we were the most athletic team in the conference, like, hands down. So we just need a way to just bring everybody together so we can use everything on the court."

The process of selecting a new coach certainly will not be hampered by a lack of candidates: Wanless said he has received over 80 applications for the position already from a variety of different people - including NBA, Division I and community college coaches and former NBA players - from all over the country.

Both McGhee and Leath said they would like to see more organization with the next head coach, but also had other qualifications in mind.

"Somebody that just wants to win, that doesn't like to take losses and gets the team under control," McGhee said.

"I'll say a little bit more x's and o's and just a little bit more structure where it's needed," Leath said.

The rest of the coaching staff received two-month extensions, Wanless said, and they will continue to represent the department during the coaching search. Once a new coach has been hired it will be at his or her discretion to retain members of the coaching staff or hire replacements

Jenkins could not be reached for comment.

I'm not talking to players or students but older adults very close to the situation. Several players want Grace to get that job because they say he's a player's coach first and foremost and, as the article explained, that's what they want. The AD has other ideas. Lute made the call and talked to the AD.

Wanless says he knows what he wants but who is to say how long he will be there? The AD and the school would do very well to make sure the hiring committee they have put together does a thorough job and doesn't make any stupid long term decisions. That argues for them to open up the process a little more and interview more than only three or four people. That's too limiting. Look at what happened to USF when they hired their new AD that way last year.

The best coach for that job, who will work for the lower pay, could well be a popular up and comer as opposed to a burned out former D1 or JC head coach running low on fumes. They will have to expend a tremendous amount of energy just to raise the funds needed to turn things around. That spells a younger man who can win and/or a proven rainmaker who can but will take a financial package that cannot compete with other offers.

Either way you have to recruit nationally, keep the players happy, and win, or the fundraising is a non-starter and the program goes nowhere. I say Grace, Barrett, and Katz should all get interviewed by the committee. It just makes sense.

Mayor, you have no credibility. I know for a fact that the majority of the team isn't even considering David Grace as a replacement. He won't even get an interview.

Mayor, I have to agree with Kadeezy - you have ZERO credibility!! Your messages just don't make any sense, and you don't have a clue about coaching. As a former Hornet I at least have the ability to use experience in making my arguements. There is NO WAY Grace or Barrett have the qualifications to grow this program at this point in their career. Given the right leadership and mentor they could very well develop into a great headcoach, but not anytime soon. Getting this job could actually hurt their career - if they're not ready they'll fail and how will that look on a resume. They need to find a coach that will show them what it takes to recruit and coach at a winning program.

Sac needs someone that has a history of being the head guy, a track record of wins. The level is not as important as the experience and history of wins and loses. Portland St is a great example for us to follow - bad facilities but they hired a guy from DII that knew how to win. Even though they got killed today - I'll take a blow out in the tourney any day!!

Mayor - time to join the real world!! Are you actually Grace - you seem to be promoting him a little to much!

Here is a name that should be considered. Tim Cleary assistant at Boise State. I know he has many California connections, and spent time at Chico State and Irvine before going to Boise. He would be a great hire.

Hey all...good discussion going on. Before this gets out of hand, I just want to remind folks to respond to the topic and not the poster per se. I think its great we have new people coming on here and voicing their support for Katz. I never had heard of them until this came about. I think he is very much a leading candidate based on his past success at Center High, Lassen and Delta. Also having an alum never hurts

So just as a friendly FYI, respond to topic and try to keep personal responses out. (Mod hat off). Thanks!

Go Hornets!

SactoHornetAlum,

It seems like **** is getting a little off topic and going after ****. Even if the man is way off base he should be allowed to express his opinion on who the next coach should be. It seems like everyone is busy trying to shout him down.

jmb said:
Hey all...good discussion going on. Before this gets out of hand, I just want to remind folks to respond to the topic and not the poster per se. I think its great we have new people coming on here and voicing their support for Katz. I never had heard of them until this came about. I think he is very much a leading candidate based on his past success at Center High, Lassen and Delta. Also having an alum never hurts

So just as a friendly FYI, respond to topic and try to keep personal responses out. (Mod hat off). Thanks!

Go Hornets!

SactoHornetAlum,

It seems like ***** is getting a little off topic and going after ****. Even if the man is way off base he should be allowed to express his opinion on who the next coach should be. It seems like everyone is busy trying to shout him down.

Agreed. Folks, again, please respond to topic, not the poster. If you have an issue with someone, take it to PM's or PM me, GCM or SH. Otherwise, I will start editing posts and/or hand out some vacations. Please stay on topic. We welcome all viewpoints here. Because of the level that Jenkins has brought the program to out of the depths of the previous 8 years before his arrival, this job and program is a lot more attractive than it was before and its an exciting time, IMO, to be a Hornet basketball fan. Remember, its not what you say, its how you say it.

Don't worry about it guys. Nobody will shout me down or affect my credibility but some may continue to entertain me in short stretches. I'm not Coach Grace or Barrett but I'm a veteran of a lot of these coaching hiring wars. It's the most important basketball decision a school can make. But they are sort of like little "wars", as people jockey for position, or place bets on their favorite horses. Some people are even promised jobs or favors if their guy gets in. Beware of that when talking to supporters of one guy over another.

I don't have a clue who the best candidate for this job is. We don't even have a short list yet. That said I'm a big fan of hiring the person and not their resume or so-called qualifications. It's a foolish way to hire a candidate. Those things should be taken into consideration but they aren't the whole story by any means. To shut out the assistant coaches or those who don't have a lengthy resume is a dumb way to go if the person is of the right caliber.

Case in point from the past was a guy who was hired as the Head Coach at Long Beach State with ZERO D1 experience of any kind. The highest level he had climbed to was a JUCO state championship. He was 38. He then led them to a 24-2 record and the Big West Championship. It was Lute Olson in 1973.

So if a guy like Lute could have been easily overlooked based on his lack of D1 experience then who is to say it can't happen now. Speaking of now, Randy Bennett became the Head Coach at St. Marys with ZERO head coaching experience. He had never even worked at a decent program as he moved from school to school as an assistant and look what he has done in Moraga in the last three years. This hire should be for at least the next five to ten years and could easily outlive the AD. It needs to be done right.

Stockton Record article about JC coaches Katz and Marcopulos as candidates for the Hornets job:
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080320/A_SPORTS/803200326

There's plenty of discussion on this board about Katz already. Marcopulos was an assistant at Pacific under Thomason for 11 seasons and has been the head coach at Cabrillo College (near Santa Cruz) for 8 years.

Before Coach Marcopulos took over, the Cabrillo basketball program was among the worst in the state every year. The Seahawks winning percentage improved in each of Marcopulos' eight seasons. In the last six seasons, Marcopulos has led Cabrillo to an overall record of 101-74. Then, in the last two seasons, the Seahawks were 41-18 overall and their 20-4 record in league play earned them back to back league championships. You can learn more about Coach Marcopulos here - http://www.cabrillo.edu/academics/athletics/m_bball/index.html

Latest posts

Back