• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ZAMBERLIN SHOULD:

Z shouldn't read message boards. I still think Z is OK and a good coach, but obviously needs to produce some results or face the music.

qb- What is it that you think makes Z is ok and a good coach? I agree with you that Z shouldn't read a message board. I know he does read it though, so do all of his staff.

Zamberlin sould not do anything after this semester, it should be the school that releases him. This program is going downhill fast and has been for four years. He has had his fair shot of chances. To renew him for 2 more years was a mistake on the schools part. As for the AD, that just makes this school more of a joke, who hires an AD with no school background? Hmmm like someone said above, it all starts at the top. He is the most unfriendly AD I have ever met, and from what I see has no desire to be around the athletes. The only way athletes know who he is, is by word of mouth. Does he even know any athletes? or does he just get to know their faces by the roster list. Now on to coaching staff...lets gut the whole staff and start over, half these kids that have recently quit have their reasons but to be honest the coaching staff has to do with a lot of them. No one wants to play for them! No offense to them because some of them are nice but nice does not win games or keep kids on the team. Another issue, half these kids that get hurt and end up needing surgery or other medical exams done, have to pay by their own insurance or find ways to take care of it themselves. The issue of taking care of these athletes is pathetic, they want to get away as cheap as they can without having to use the schools insurance for these kids....Great Program it sounds like

qb, I don't know anybody who believed he was the best ISU could get. What results are you referring? Football only?

For spazdog and qb, let's pretend that Chris Peterson is offered, and accepts, a job at a major BCS school at season's end. Would you want Zamberlin to apply and be hired as BSU's coach? Why or why not?

Would I want him to coach the Broncos? A resounding NO! He's obviously a good guy with the best of intentions. He's great at identifying, landing and successful with D2 talent at the D2 level. But, he's had problem after problem at ISU. He's got players bailing on him, musical chairs with assistants, he's has facility issues and fans make more jokes about his program that show their support for it. Some might argue that these things are unavoidable nuisances, you know, it comes with the profession. Case and point... look at the former players from Idaho and BSU that are on the Bengals' roster. They bailed from their previous schools, too. But I believe that he has had opportunities to take some of these issues head on to the betterment of the program but either he doesn't know how to effectively address them, thinks that these issues are admin's problems to solve, or something. I don't know. I admit, I live in Meridian and am more distant than many of you reading this, but I read the online version of the Journal every day. You just don't see Coach Z's reaction to the issues. Instead of trying to improve the situation, it seems he tries to cope.

There are some similarities with Coach Z and Dan Hawkins. I believe that Dan Hawkins is an excellent modivator. He's responsible for Coach Pete moving to Boise. But when he went to the BCS team, I think he lost his edge. I think he can recruit and land good quality players at the BCS level. But his "chip" that he used and Coach Pete still uses is absent at Colorado because they are a BCS school. The extra motivation to perform is gone. But, unlike Coach Z, while at BSU, Hawkins came right out and said that to move the program to an elite level, facility improvements are needed and he put in a timeframe. He pushed the subject with the community and the boosters. With a coordinated effort, the next thing you know there's a better weight room and then a premier indoor practice facility. Stadium improvements were explored and now look at Bronco Stadium. There are plans to expand the now 33,000 seats or so to 53,000. Granted, BSU football was a winning program at the time when Hawkins arrived (Koetter hired him as the offensive coordinator) and I'm sure it was an easier sell to the boosters and the Boise community than it might be in Pocatello. But, Dan took ownership and ran with it.

I'll take this a step further... I think that after the season and if a decision is made to replace the ISU coaching staff AND if Hawkins' contract is not renewed at Colorado, then Hawkins would be an excellent coach at ISU. I don't know that he'd take it, but who knows...

ISUDude said:
qb- What is it that you think makes Z is ok and a good coach? I agree with you that Z shouldn't read a message board. I know he does read it though, so do all of his staff.

His performance at Central Washington. He has of course, had significant challenges here...

I've been around him a small bit, and he is a super guy. I really hope he can turn things around and win here and be part of the community.

qb said:
ISUDude said:

His performance at Central Washington. He has of course, had significant challenges here...

I've been around him a small bit, and he is a super guy. I really hope he can turn things around and win here and be part of the community.

Zamberlin did a great job at Central Washington. It is easier to be successful recruiting when you have Washington, Washington State and Big Sky Conference drop downs. Plus, you can take kids that have academic issues. I rarely if ever hear anything negative about Zamberlin the regular guy. However, I have heard on numerous occasions that he is more of a LIFE coach than a FOOTBALL coach. At least at this level.

spazdog1 said:
There are some similarities with Coach Z and Dan Hawkins.

I'd agree. One of the gripes I hear for both is that neither knows how to recruit the level of talent for where they need to be. Colorado would be a 2nd or 3rd place team in the WAC, but the Big 12 is a whole new ballgame. FCS is a whole different ballgame from Division II, and like BengalCub said, CWU gets a lot of drop downs. Check out their roster if you have doubts. Ole Miss. Washington. Washington State. Idaho. Idaho State. Tulsa. Utah State. Nevada. And so on and so on.

The other similarity you have to look at is that both staffs probably had their main star employed as offensive coordinator. Chris Petersen at BSU, and Beau Baldwin at CWU. Both took those schools to great success immediately after taking over. Baldwin took CWU to a 10-3 record immediately after taking over, and he sits at 4-2 at Eastern Washington now. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Baldwin and Petersen both had complete control over their unit, and they knew the importantce of depth, talent, and needs.

Comparison that works for me...

CWU and Zamberlin successful
ISU and Zambelin not successful

Eastern Washington and Paul Wulff successful
Washington State and Paul Wulff not successful

Both have tried to bring lower division talent into upper divisions without success. Few would disagree that Washington State has much more talent than teams in the BSC. In fact, Wulff has competed with Idaho State for numerous recruits. These were the same recruits that Wulff was trying to bring to the Eagles. It just doesn't work. Zamberlin did the same--took D2 talent and tried to bring it to Idaho State.

We aren't talking about a regular guy. This is a priveleged position that he is in. Granted we play 1AA, but in all there are only like 250 D1 head coaching jobs. The fact is that he is not great. Last fall there were multiple discussions similar to yours brought up. He is a nice guy. He tries hard. He is blah, blah, blah. At central washington he took over a program that was very good and already established. The season or so before he took over they won the national championship. He didn't have to rebuild anything, he just had to steer the ship. Over his tenure, the cen wash program was about 10% less successful under zamberlin than the previous staff. I believe the previous staff was there for 5-6 seasons and Z was for 8-10 or so. After the sham show came to pocatello, the Cent Wash program did better. He managed the situation up there, he didn't run it. He was brought in and praised as a guy thats an established winner that knows how to build a program. Propaganda!! He really was just a guy who had played forever ago for a couple years as a backup in the NFL. He was a guy that sounded like the stereotypical football coach that many think of when it comes to successful college head coaches (bryant, rockne...). A hard nosed, tough guy who is personable enough. The shine has worn off, (for some that came several years ago others are just seeing it now), and what is left is a guy who doesn't know how to get the job done, is in way over his head, delusionally believes that he is doing the right thing, and has no real connection with 98% of his players. Besides the most superficial and obvious aspects of a kid, he has no clue what makes these players tick. They don't confide in him, and tote the party line... Becasue the HAVE to. They have to maintain the status quo or else they end up like Rashaad Richads and Isaiah Burel. AJ may have said those things in the paper and on the show, but those words are empty and without conviction.

Z- I know that you want to shut up me and the others on here. Keep on trying!! Your efforts to force people down only serve the greater good for the ISU program. People see how fake you are and that you are just grasping for straws. Do what is right!!! Actually live what you are trying to tell the players. Do the honest and right thing. For the good of the team!! Resign and show that you are committed to helping the program grow. You are holding it back. You and your cronies have shackled and bled the life of the Bengals, unleash the beasts by cutting yourself out of the equation. "Get outta Malibu, you bum!!"

jedimaster said:
Zamberlin sould not do anything after this semester, it should be the school that releases him. This program is going downhill fast and has been for four years. He has had his fair shot of chances. To renew him for 2 more years was a mistake on the schools part. As for the AD, that just makes this school more of a joke, who hires an AD with no school background? Hmmm like someone said above, it all starts at the top. He is the most unfriendly AD I have ever met, and from what I see has no desire to be around the athletes. The only way athletes know who he is, is by word of mouth. Does he even know any athletes? or does he just get to know their faces by the roster list. Now on to coaching staff...lets gut the whole staff and start over, half these kids that have recently quit have their reasons but to be honest the coaching staff has to do with a lot of them. No one wants to play for them! No offense to them because some of them are nice but nice does not win games or keep kids on the team. Another issue, half these kids that get hurt and end up needing surgery or other medical exams done, have to pay by their own insurance or find ways to take care of it themselves. The issue of taking care of these athletes is pathetic, they want to get away as cheap as they can without having to use the schools insurance for these kids....Great Program it sounds like

If Tingey is as inept as he is made out to be, do we really want him making another coaching hire? Just from what I gather reading here, maybe there needs to be a change in FB and at the AD spot if we are going to see ISU football (and athletic department in general) climb to expectations... at least that's how I read it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not sure about the comments on the AD web, single, and jedi. He didn't hire Z, BUBB did. He didn't extend Z, VAILAS did.

That's true. I guess my point was that the whole athletic administration seems to be about as well regarded as Z right now... maybe it is the whole administration in general if Vailas is that involved.

And I get the general feeling that the sports that succeed on campus do so in spite of the athletic administration, and not because of it (credit the athletes and coaches there). Maybe that was more of a trickle down/leftover from the Bubb era though.

Makes sense. Football is the face of the athletic dept. When that isn't going right, it casts a shadow on the whole dept. Several have brought up the the recent improvements being made, lockerrooms, softball field, weight room.... There is change and improvement, but it is hard when there isn't cohesion. I would say that is a hinderance right now... I believe that a big factor in that is the football staff as well. Wouldn't surprise me if they have bullied and thrown their weight around and rubbed people the wrong way.

BTW- whats the deal with a Strength and Conditioning fundraiser? Good idea, but wasn't there a renovation this year? And now they need new equipment. Must have squandered their money.

ISUDude, have you ever heard of, especially in business circles, the term "kaizen?" It translates to continuous improvement.

To make a claim that they "must have squandered their money" is extremely irresponsible, and it should require some facts for you to provide to back that up.

It feels like a witch hunt is under way. The pack mentality is surely evident, and while the common goal isn't necessarily a bad one, the way some are getting there is downright shameful.

Jeff has hired Seton Sobolewski (that is working out pretty well), Chad Teichert (that is working out pretty well), Andrea Wilson (didn't work out, and no one saw that one coming, even me, and I had some responsibility there), Julie Wright (hasn't coached a game but is bringing a big-league, major program mindset which is needed).

I'm telling you...Jeff is not an issue. I said this when he was hired...at ISU, the A.D. you will get is either A) an asst. or assoc. AD looking for his first AD job - B) a DII AD working his way up, or C) a fallen Division I AD looking for another chance.

In reality, if you went with option A, you get Jeff, or Jim Senter...option B is not applicable because of the challenges at ISU. Option C is Paul, who did good things at ISU, until the end of his tenure when he left. In reality, Jeff might have had certain inroads to the job, but he has fought for the department, gone head to head not just with Dr. Vailas on issue but with his dad as well ... and he has made facility improvements that are tangible. New locker rooms for FOUR teams, video boards, weight room, softball facility ... I mean really...you want to get rid of THAT GUY?

I'm friends with Z but understand the facts when folks talk about John's job status. I want him to succeed and will want that for him until the very end, but I don't get the hate on Jeff. Again, I've sat in many meetings with Jeff...he knows his stuff, and you know what, he got ISU to basically CRUISE through certification. I know some people whine that he doesn't know all the athletes well enough, but his job first and foremost is raise money, and manage the department. He passes easily there...

FYI, it's fun typing on the computer waiting for volleyball box scores LOL.

Frank

Mr. Former Sid, I read each of your posts, and I must say; You must really think most of us aren't very smart. We know, that there is no way Tingey will get fired. He was hand picked by Pres. Vailis, and there is no way Vailis is going to let him fail. As for the things you said he has done, well it helps that the President is behind him and wants him to succeed. The fact is, he had zero experience, got the job, because his father was VP and Vailis liked him and threw him a bone. To compare him to someone who has worked her/his way up to be an AD is laughable. You are trying your best to sway this board, just as you always have and before you say "I don't work there anymore!" you owe them for the job you have at the moment. You are a mouthpiece for the Administration and your bias is well documented.

Stick to the facts, stop using part of the story to your advantage. As for Z, you know that was a hire because of economics, the players knew that and so do you. I am so glad that Professors teach us to ask questions and find out answers for ourselves.

Cub, Superfan :D and all of you that support the Student Athletes. Thanks for your support.

Latest posts

Back