• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ZAMBERLIN SHOULD:

I don't have any inside info at all, so take my opinion as just that, an opinion... but I don't see the most popular option in this poll as an option at all. I can't see him stepping down and turning down 120k. And we won't be firing him.

We all know the Z extension was a budget hire. It costs money to do a coaching search and hire a new coach, so our athletic director avoided that whole process. And we can also see that we will not fire him and pay out his contract. We are playing body-bag games during the last few weeks of the season. If that doesn't say "we have no hope for this team and we need money," I don't know what does. Heck, maybe Z does a great job saving money on recruiting too... the athletic department wouldn't want to lose that in a coach :roll: The program is not designed to win right now or any time in the near future. It is designed to save money... and like all businesses that design their ENTIRE business plan around saving money and neglecting quality, it is failing.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Z is here for the remainder of his contract.

The really BIG question here should be: If Coach Z were to leave now, would they still have the Coaches' call in show from Chili's on Monday night? That could really put a damper on Monday night in eastern Idaho! Chips and salsa, baby!!! :lol:

He needs to hire BSU QB Kellen Moore's father as the OC. He was the head coach at Prosser Wash when junior more threw 133 touchdown passes his last two years. That's not a typo. Prosser is a town of 5,000 and was routinely beating Seattle area high schools.

Singlewing said:
I don't have any inside info at all, so take my opinion as just that, an opinion... but I don't see the most popular option in this poll as an option at all. I can't see him stepping down and turning down 120k. And we won't be firing him.

We all know the Z extension was a budget hire. It costs money to do a coaching search and hire a new coach, so our athletic director avoided that whole process. And we can also see that we will not fire him and pay out his contract. We are playing body-bag games during the last few weeks of the season. If that doesn't say "we have no hope for this team and we need money," I don't know what does. Heck, maybe Z does a great job saving money on recruiting too... the athletic department wouldn't want to lose that in a coach :roll: The program is not designed to win right now or any time in the near future. It is designed to save money... and like all businesses that design their ENTIRE business plan around saving money and neglecting quality, it is failing.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Z is here for the remainder of his contract.

Bingo. ISU does not have the cash to buy out Z. We are stuck with him for another year.

Normally, I would agree with both of you. However, I and others thought the same with Larry Lewis. The question becomes, can ISU afford to let things continue another year? I'd say, unless he reels off three or four more wins this season (Weber State may be the best chance for a win) Idaho State will have a new HC in 2011. Personally, I think if he loses to Weber State, Montana State and Georgia the announcement will come before the end of the season.

i wouldn't be surprised to see it come after a bad loss to weber this weekend. i believe our bye week falls between weber and montana st. which could be an opportune time to shed some of the dead weight in the coaching office. heck, i'd wheel my broke ass down to holt to help run drills for the remainder of the season if it came to that!

I don't think the administration will fire him, and I don't think he is going to leave 120k on the table. The administration can't afford to do it at the moment. They are already paying Coach Wilson's contract and couldn't force her to resign. (You know what I am talking about superfan :) ) they sure kept that whole thing quiet. I guess that is a topic for another day. I think we are stuck with him for 1 more year. Get ready if he gets a win, the presses will be hot with propaganda to say he is turning things around. I bet the Athletic Department is missing the former SID to use his spin control. He was good at that. :) Well, we will all still support the teams, but I know all athletes, women and men hope for some changes in the department and at the top before graduation comes for all. Thanks again superfan for always being there for all of us. :)

bengalcub said:
Normally, I would agree with both of you. However, I and others thought the same with Larry Lewis. The question becomes, can ISU afford to let things continue another year? I'd say, unless he reels off three or four more wins this season (Weber State may be the best chance for a win) Idaho State will have a new HC in 2011. Personally, I think if he loses to Weber State, Montana State and Georgia the announcement will come before the end of the season.

It'll definitely be interesting... cause normally I'd agree with you. Especially "can ISU afford to let things continue another year?"... I agree we absolutely can't. And maybe I'm misinterpreting some of the clues I'm seeing, but my gut says that as much sense as it makes to fire him, we won't pull the trigger. It just seems like EVERYTHING is bottom line budget moves. We could argue that a winning, or even improving program is better for the bottom line, but I don't know if that's the way the AD sees it.

Either way, whether it's with Z or another coach, I can't wait to see this thing turn around.

Sorry folks, but if Zamberlin doesn't win enough games to show improvement over last year, he's gone. I think Tingey's a smart guy, he must see that he needs to make a change soon to save his job. We've become the worst team in the conference. Riding Zamberlin out through next year might get Tingey fired too. I hope we can put together some wins this year and upset some people. But that doesn't look likely, and I have no doubt that going winless in conference will end the Zamberlin era at ISU.

Contrary to popular belief, I am sort of partial to Tingey. He has pissed me off from time to time, but that is to be expected. How he handles this situation with Zamberlin (because it is difficult) will really go quite a way in determining his legacy. He may have needed to learn and lacked AD experience, but he has done some pretty solid things since he has been here. He did not hire Zamberlin and he did not hire O'Brien (who I really like and support as well) but the decisions that he makes in these two critical positions will ultimately define him.

Right now, I think Tingey is doing a pretty good job--all things considered.

I agree, Tingey will not be let go as long as Vailis is President. He was hand picked by Vailis and he will not let him go, that would show he made a mistake and that's not going to happen. He will be AD and do what he is told to do. If Vailis wants Z gone then it will happen, its not up to Tingey. Again, Tingey does what Tingey is told to do........

bengalharley said:
I agree, Tingey will not be let go as long as Vailis is President. He was hand picked by Vailis and he will not let him go, that would show he made a mistake and that's not going to happen. He will be AD and do what he is told to do. If Vailis wants Z gone then it will happen, its not up to Tingey. Again, Tingey does what Tingey is told to do........

Probably some truth to that...

bengalharley said:

Seems like if we are going to pay a salary for an AD, he should at least have the ability to do the hiring and firing... I mean, I thought that was the job of the AD.

bengalharley said:

So Tingey is basically a puppet? How embarrassing for him.
In my opinion, if a school like Montana suffered through back to back one win seasons and the coach got an extension, the AD and the school president would both be run out of town. We, on the other hand, gave the coach an extension. Now with another potential one win season on the horizon (winless against D1 teams), we might not fire the coach? Changes need to be made. We're a D1 program, lets start acting like one. Nothing personal against him, but the coach needs to go.
Ok, then...

Sniper said:
So Tingey is basically a puppet? How embarrassing for him.
In my opinion, if a school like Montana suffered through back to back one win seasons and the coach got an extension, the AD and the school president would both be run out of town. We, on the other hand, gave the coach an extension. Now with another potential one win season on the horizon (winless against D1 teams), we might not fire the coach? Changes need to be made. We're a D1 program, lets start acting like one. Nothing personal against him, but the coach needs to go.
Ok, then...

Totally agreed Sniper.

And can I assume from your signature that you are a fan of Bob Loblaw's Law Blog?

I'm mixed on subject...

First, and it's already been mentioned, there are costs to buy out the contract that would have to be absorbed somehow. Someone mentioned that perhaps the boosters could pay for it. Don't make me laugh. Although I am painting all boosters with the same brush, I've read the belly aching about the program charging $1 for stadium parking. That's one dollar. Why charge the buck? Bottom line, to help the program. That' just one example. As a whole, getting ISU fans to open up their wallets to buy out Z's contract ain't gonna happen.

On the other hand, I read and participated in the pre-season "hype" by posting predictions on several threads. If you re-read the posts, most of the posters had zero expectations of this team. ZERO. The coaches and players and admin know it, whether they will acknowledge it or not. Now, there is the push to get rid of the coach and the staff? For what, doing nothing but meeting the expectations of most of the ISU fans. Who's at fault here? The fans are to a certain degree. But, where's the admin and their effort to change the fans' expectations?

Oh well, the season's not over yet, regardless of the Bengals' record. Attitudes can change by then. Being competitive can make all the difference in the world. That's my positive thinking kicking in. So readdress the issue at season's end when all of the cards are on the table. However, it will be very tough for the current coaching staff or any new coaching staff to get the warm fuzzies about the program until the fan expectations and support changes. JMO.

Not sure how fans are at fault for wanting to see a coaching change.

I for one predicted a 3-win season (Montana Western, a BSC home win, and a BSC road win) based on schedule, returning talent, in-coming talent (with/without Grayson ;) ), changes to the coaching staff (primarily on offense), and the hope that Z can turn things around after back-to-back 1-win campaigns (it's gotta get better eventually).

Were my expectations unrealistic to see the team improve from consecutive 1-win seasons to a 3-win season in 2010? I don't think so. I was (and still hoping for) marked improvement over last year, and on a weekly, but I have not seen it. Statistically speaking, ISU is being outscored in the first half (96-42) and through 3 quarters (159-59). ISU is getting over 45% of its point total in the 4Q when the game is out of reach and the opponents have their 2nd and 3rd stringers playing out the rest of the game.

Aside from a few outstanding individual efforts on special teams and on defense, the team (at least on offense) reminds me of the Tom Walsh era (predictable, unimaginative). At least during the early Lewis era, they may have been losing, but the games were at least entertaining and high scoring.

If/When there is a coaching change, I would expect fans to have tempered expectations due to the changes, player turnover, etc. There may me some sighs of relief and a sense of rejuvenation with a new staff, but realize it could take a few years to be competitive on a weekly basis. Heck, even if a new coaching staff were to come in and win 2-4 games in each of the first two to three years, some fans, myself included, could considered it a step in the right direction compared to the Z era.

Latest posts

Back